Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Mustawd

Aren't Ubisoft games purchased on Steam still Uplay anyway? With Borderlands I get that you're trading Steamworks for a barely developed Epic Store, which sucks for online gamers, but with an Ubisoft title you might as well be buying from Uplay anyway.

I think the main difference is that the game still appears in your steam library and the time played is logged. Ditto with achievements.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Uplay store doesn't have regional pricing for me (and they recently blocked my country from purchasing on it entirely), doesn't have remote download, clunkier overlay than Steam, download eats whole bandwidth unlike Steam. The Uplay client comes with Ubisoft games on Steam is the fairly unintrusive lite version, it pops up to ask you permission to activate the game on your account, then it only shows a splash screen whenever you launch the game, that's it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
6jt3zpcak2y21.jpg

Free $10 just for enabling 2FA: https://www.pcgamesn.com/epic-games-store-megasale

The Epic Games store is getting its first major sale
gaben-meme-580x334.jpg

If the price of triple-A game development means that you’re desperately counting pennies to help pay for the latest release, (even more) help may soon be at hand, as the Epic Games store is gearing up for its first major sale. A message of the day that showed up on Fortnite last night suggests that a significant set of discounts is on the way.

Fortnite’s messages show up in a dedicated screen that appears before players get access to the lobby at the start of each play session. Traditionally, the screen shows off information about Fortnite skin sales and new arrivals to the battle royale, but last night’s message referred to something called the Epic Games store Megasale.

The panel read that “the Epic Games store Megasale is happening right now! Sign up for [two-factor authentication] in order to get $10 to spend in the store.” Clearly, the sale was not actually underway when the message arrived on the store, but Epic later confirmed that an event was on its way, with a tweet from the official Fortnite Twitter account.

That tweet read that “an MOTD snuck out about a sale. There is an Epic Game store sale on games in the works, but it hasn’t launched yet.” The tweet instructs fans to keep an eye on the Epic Games social accounts “for details in a few days.”

Given how prolific sales have proven to be across not only Steam, but all of Epic’s competitors, I’m not particularly surprised that the company is looking to launch a sale. It’ll be interesting to see the extent of the discounts on offer, but given that everyone will reportedly have the opportunity to pick up a $10 voucher, Epic’s off to a good start.

It’ll also be worth keeping an eye on the exact dates of the sale. If I was Epic, I’d want to get in ahead of Steam. Valve’s big summer blowout is expected to take place towards the end of June, so a sale earlier in the month could be a good move.

hpstg

Savant
All the hate is kind of justified. Nobody gives a fuck. If they improve their policies and store just slightly they will be a major player in less than a couple of years.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Epic Gaming Show is coming to E3: https://www.pcgamer.com/pc-gaming-show-livestream-2019/

Each year since it's inception, the PC Gaming Show has been created in conjunction with sponsors. Past presenting partners have included Intel, AMD, and Microsoft. This year the PC Gaming Show's presenting sponsor is the Epic Games store. Epic will reveal brand new material for several games, including some exclusives, coming to the Epic Games store. Additional sponsors include E-WIN, Frontier, Funcom, Paradox Interactive, Perfect World Entertainment, Rebellion, and Tripwire Interactive. PC gaming wouldn't have a presence at E3 without the support of these companies.

With less than a month to go before E3, here are some of the other folks who will be taking the stage in Los Angeles for PC Gaming Show 2019:
  • Annapurna Interactive
  • Chucklefish
  • Digital Extremes
  • Digital Uppercut
  • Fatshark
  • Fellow Traveller
  • Modus Games
  • Raw Fury
  • Re-Logic
These are just some of the studios and companies you'll see—more will be announced. Hosts Day[9] and Frankie Ward will return to present this pile of never-before-seen trailers and deliver interviews.

To think that from 2012 to 2014, we wrote an over-the-top article that playfully imagined what this conference would be like. Five years in, we're still pinching ourselves a little: it's real, and PC gaming will hopefully forever have a place at the biggest gaming expo of the year.

Watch the PC Gaming Show live on June 10 at 10 AM Pacific on twitch.tv/pcgamer. If you'll be at E3 or you live in the Los Angeles area, you can reserve free tickets on pcgamingshow.com.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With less than a month to go before E3, here are some of the other folks who will be taking the stage in Los Angeles for PC Gaming Show 2019:
  • Annapurna Interactive
  • Chucklefish
  • Digital Extremes
  • Digital Uppercut
  • Fatshark
  • Fellow Traveller
  • Modus Games
  • Raw Fury
  • Re-Logic
Umm, who? The only noteworthy developer from that bunch are Digital Extremes, and they are also past their glory days.

Gerrard

Arcane
Digital Extremes, eh? I can't wait for some EGS exclusive Warframe cosmetics, because they could really use another shitstorm.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think the main difference is that the game still appears in your steam library and the time played is logged. Ditto with achievements.

Who gives a fuck about this Facebook style nonsense.

Uplay store doesn't have regional pricing for me (and they recently blocked my country from purchasing on it entirely), doesn't have remote download, clunkier overlay than Steam, download eats whole bandwidth unlike Steam. The Uplay client comes with Ubisoft games on Steam is the fairly unintrusive lite version, it pops up to ask you permission to activate the game on your account, then it only shows a splash screen whenever you launch the game, that's it.

Now that makes more sense, thanks. Nothing I care about, but more understandable that some would.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A lot of Steam users? I find that a weird question to ask.

I meant on here, I know the general public eats it up. I would think the "oldfags" of the Codex would be immune to such concerns, but you're probably right and I'm naive. Gaben's Facebook style claws are in your backs, riding you to fanboy town.

Mustawd

A lot of Steam users? I find that a weird question to ask.

I meant on here, I know the general public eats it up. I would think the "oldfags" of the Codex would be immune to such concerns, but you're probably right and I'm naive. Gaben's Facebook style claws are in your backs, riding you to fanboy town.

Yah, I like how it tracks hours played. It’s one of my favorite features.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
  • Annapurna Interactive
  • Chucklefish
  • Digital Extremes
  • Digital Uppercut
  • Fatshark
  • Fellow Traveller
  • Modus Games
  • Raw Fury
  • Re-Logic
Umm, who? The only noteworthy developer from that bunch are Digital Extremes, and they are also past their glory days.

Re-Logic are the devs behind Terraria, one of the more consistently popular games of the past ten years as they still support and update it.

EDIT: Semi-ninja'd by a few seconds.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Epic Games earns a BAFTA Special Award for its 'huge contribution' to the industry

BAFTA, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, will honor Epic Games with a Special Award recognizing its growth from its founding in 1991 to "world-renowned industry leader and innovator." Epic is responsible for games including the Gears of War series and Fortnite, and also the massively popular Unreal Engine that's powered some of the biggest games of the past two decades.

"We are delighted to present this year’s Special Award to Epic Games. Having powered the creativity and imaginations of development teams of all sizes over the years—many of whom have gone on to win BAFTAs—it’s right to mark their huge contribution with this Special Award as part of BAFTA’s commitment to celebrating and promoting the very best in games," BAFTA Games Committee chair Dr. Jo Twist said. "Epic is at the forefront of the evolution of the global games industry and the impact of their innovation is undeniable."

Unlike regular BAFTA award categories, Special Awards are given irregularly, to recognize broad contributions to the industry. Previous winners include Sam Houser and Leslie Benzies of Rockstar Games, Markus "Notch" Persson, Amy Hennig, Brenda Romero, Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill of Riot Games, and Nolan North.

The award will be accepted on behalf of Epic by founder and CEO Tim Sweeney. "All of us at Epic Games are honored that BAFTA has awarded Unreal Engine for excellence in technology, and we share this recognition with our partners and the creative community," Sweeney said.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I still like the UE a lot but their business practices and "recent" games are horrible, obviously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom