Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Outside of small indie companies staffed by a couple people in their mom's basement there are no corporations that care about you.
    The "think of the developers!!" line is bullshit after years of predatory preorder bonuses, on disk DLC, invasive DRM, etc.,

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Solid Snail Learned

Solid Snail
    Of course, I know. I was referring to the Epic mantra of "developers first".

^ Top  
  3. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Actually, according to SteamDB the lowest prices on Steam are in Argentine - you can get more than 70% off of US price.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Wow man, these sales are pretty nuts in Turkey. There are lots of new games/preorder for below 7$.
    Luckly most of them are new age AAA+ thrash. But Control and Sinking City is kinda looks OK.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Funny x 16
    • No x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • Old x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. passerby Learned

passerby
    If Epic was paying for this 10$ discount from their own pocket, these are some dick moves from Paradox and Klei imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    ...no?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    Why? It simply means no sales of those particular games. Epic keeps their $10.

^ Top  
  9. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    They're protecting their ability to sell it at full price at release on other stores. Perfectly understandable.

Otherwise gamers might feel it's not fair to buy it at full price on Steam or GOG for example, and wait for a discount. That'd be a disaster for them. Especially since most of the fanbase might not use Epic, so Epic won't be handing out money to cover their loss.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, well, now that I know some can buy it for 8 dollaroos when I'm stuck with the lovely [​IMG] price tag...

I think I will wait for a deep deep sale :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    What snivelry. Then again did anyone suspect studios are jumping ship to EGS primarily in order to make more money as their main motivator? I find it amusing that even when Epic seems to want to play ball and at least copy Steam's deep sales, combined with their own $10 discount, you have studios refusing to play along.

^ Top  
  12. Squadcar Learned

Squadcar
    I think it's amusing that Epic is pushing this hard to get people over there. It seems like they didn't even notify the publishers of the sale seeing as they removed their listing from the store temporarily. I'm not saying they didn't, but the behavior is odd. Jokingly, Epic was like, "Oh boy, Bloodlines 2 doesn't want to come here exclusively? How about we just take the hit for 10 bucks off? People will swarm here, hahahaha. Steam and GOG will never keep up!"

They have too much money to burn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Bloodlines 2 and Oxygen Not Included aren't on the store anymore, apparently Troika wasn't aware of that sale price and wasn't happy, neither was Klei since the price became much cheaper than it normally gets on Steam sales.

On a random note, Oxygen Not Included is a good survival/simulation game and worth checking out, it's just that now you can't buy the game on EGS for a while.

^ Top  
  14. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    By the way, is 88% realistic in the long run? I know they have lots of money now that they could do even 100%(which they almost do with buying exclusives), but assuming Fortnite is dead in 3 years, is this percent possible?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    What happened to the "only the customer matters!" mantra though? They try talking about what matters to developers profit-wise and people are like "fuck you who cares" but they offer $10 off and Paradox says nope and now it's "hey they need to protect their bottom line."

This is all such tribal bullshit.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Running a store at a loss is not realistic in the long run, no.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Edija Savant Patron

Edija
    How long until their Chink overlords cancel the store since it isn't making money?

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson
    uhhh guys, should we tell him? :M

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Despair Despair x 4
    • :M :M x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    But is it at a loss at 12%? If we remove all exclusive deals, sales, etc.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. passerby Learned

passerby
    8 dollaroos was only partially caused by Epic 10$ discount, western Europeans would get only 49€, that is 16% discount paid out of Epic pocket, it's not uncommon for games to have 5 - 10% preorder discount.
    And with Epic subsidized discount they could get more sales than usual in poor countries, I see no fault here. The thing that happened was drawing first worlders attention to an extreme case of regional pricing, but it's not like it's any different on Steam.

What is funny, they could just have 10$ discount applied at checkout, or have it as a store credit, instead of displaying adjusted price and there wouldn't be meme screenshots flying around making people butthurt and no one would be pulling games from the sale.
    Epic hate is hilarious, giving better deal to publishers is evil, subsidizing attractive discount for customers is also evil :lol:

Epic estimates the cost of running the service and processing sales at around 7%

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • what? what? x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    says who? Their sales are funny because first they didnt want to do it but now, I wonder why, they do. Still doesnt change the fact that only the customer matters for me and they still can fuck themselves. If you do a sale and dont inform the people whose games you actually put on a discoun about it you deserve to be fucked by them, just as paradox deserves to be fucked by epic for going exclusive (if they are, I dont memorize all exclusives).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    No need, i was still thinking of the first game and it was only after i posted that i remembered the game is being made by someone else, i know already.

Still, it was a stupid mistake that i didn't catch on to so everyone feel free to vote "Decline" or something indicating i am an idiot.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    Is it the same people? Because as someone who's very anti-Epic due to their exclusivity shit I actually think this is a great pro-consumer move by them. Consumers get $10 off, developers still get the full cut, and Epic bleeds money: a win-win for everyone. Consumers can straight up pre-order some games for up to 66% off, which is unprecedented.
    Paradox and Klei are cunts for pulling, and Supergiant are absolute cunts for raising the price mid-sale. You wouldn't catch me dead buying any of their games either way, but now I might even convince others not to (especially after Paradox pulled that Imperator: Rome bullshit yet again). And yes, I understand why they did it, I just find it poor form on their part.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Supergiant reduced the price again btw, still not as low as the initial price, i think it's something like 1,50 euros bigger than the initial one, but they still reduced it and promised they will only raise the price on June 4th.

Then again, they said they would have warned people when they were to raise the price in the first place and didn't do that.

^ Top  
  25. Tse Tse Fly Learned

Tse Tse Fly
    This is what he said on dtf.ru (https://dtf.ru/gameindustry/50593-v...pala-iz-egs-do-konca-rasprodazhi?comments=all, the stickied comment)

The 4th point says: the publisher was informed in advance about the mechanism of the sale and knew the terms of it.

Edit - fuck never mind this, he later stated he had been wrong about it. Lol.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)