Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Which probably means: we told the publisher that we will discount its game and if it does not agree, it can fuck off.

^ Top  
  2. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    All in all, this was Epic showing a suprisingly bad side of themselves, and by that i mean, i thought Epic would be able to do a freaking sale, it's not as if they could have, i don't know, looked at GOG, Humble Bundle, Steam and various other digital stores and seen how they did sales.

Epic is a big company and while they are new at the digital store thing, even i thought they could double check to see if developers knew how the sale would be like, but silly me for overestimating Epic, seriously, the idea that they could do such a bad job that Paradox and Klei would take their games off the store during the sale never even crossed my mind.

Either way, i doubt this won't sour developer's relationships with Epic in some way.

^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    LoL if EPIC was in any other industry they would have been fucked hard for the shit they do. Most of it is illegal in most western countries,in EU for sure.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Epic was taking the $10 off themselves, with their money. It was them throwing their money around in a much more consumer-friendly way, which is supposedly what you all want. Paradox were being the assholes saying they don't want their game being $10 less on pre-order, even if their cut was identical, because of marketing optics. Yet here people are, attacking Epic again for it, proving nothing they do will earn approval from the "I WANT IT ON STEAM!" crowd.

Tribal bullshit is the default human condition though, so none of this is at all surprising. I just like pointing it out.

• sheeple x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    But Epic still fucked this up and strained their relationship with the publishers they were so thoroughly courting. It's not disapproval of discounts for consumers(it is good), but simply schadenfreude for Epic failing(which they did).

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    Can you please stop being retarded? 10 Dollar doesnt magically make sweeny and his Band of merry morons that much better. I cant speak for other people but if you are smug and condecending towards me and afterwards throw me a tenner as a sorry I will shove it up your ass and that has nothing to do with videogame tribalism or whatever else you think is a deep insight into the human condition. The Reason so many companies bend over backwards to please their consumers is because its really easy to alienate them and its very hard to come back from that because such relationships are one of the few things in life where the lowest fuck actually has some power to say no.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I'm supposed to be the retard, but you can't fucking read. I'm not saying you have to like Epic now. Hate them with the power of a thousand suns, whatever. I'm saying don't let that hate lead you down the dumbass path of criticizing every single thing they do, even when they do something right. You can say "I still hate Epic but this was fine," it won't kill you. The tribal part is where because you don't like them you act like everything they do is bad.

Using their war chest to offer cheaper games, instead of buying exclusives, is exactly what most of you suggested they do before this. Now they do it, and they're still the bad guys somehow. That's the tribal bullshit I'm pointing out.

• sheeple x 3
    • cuck x 2
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Did they do something right though?

Instead of throwing the customer under the bus to benefit the publisher, this time they threw the publisher under to benefit the customer (but in reality mostly themselves).

"Hey guys what you don't like us bribing publishers? How about a bribe for you too? That'll fix everything!"

• Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    In case anyone cares:

• honk honk! honk honk! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. abija Liturgist

abija
    Did they stop the exclusives bullshit or is it just "unintended" bad wording on your part?

• it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    imagine playing David Cage games that aren't Omikron.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    https://www.spieltimes.com/news/borderlands-3-pre-order-pulled-out-from-epic-games-store/

Randy tweeted, "Save $10 on Borderlands 3! Also works if you have already pre-ordered, I'm told. Epic sure wants to earn your trust."

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Yes, obviously when Steam does something similar it's only because of the customers, not at all for themselves. Imagine believing anything a company does is not done for profit.

Oh yeah, and the 30% cut is obviously the only possible way to be a middle man, because Steam does it and therefore anyone else not doing it is wrong and won't be able to survive.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Right now the page for Borderlands 3 has been pulled completely, the link leads to 404 error.
    This is hillarious how after all the buttlicking Sweeney provided to the publishers, they just go and fuck him up without a second thought.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  15. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    I don't think anyone said that Valve isn't in it for us though?

They obviously want money, it's just that between the two companies wanting money, Valve so far still seems like the best option.

And there are reasons behind the 30% cut as we have established before, Valve has made Steam in such a way that in order to get profit and sustain themselves, they genuinely need more than 18% of the cut, don't know if it needs to be 30% specifically, but they really can't match Epic's cut and it would be a terrible business decision to do so.

Why do you think Sweeney tried to portray himself as a great guy saying that he would abandon EGS if Steam copied the same cut for developers?

It's because Sweeney knows they can't do that without losing a shit ton of money and eventually fade away or become a much smaller store.
    Developers are in it for money, they need it to survive and sustain themselves, or to have a better life, and some people are just naturally greedy.

It's why Epic's cut attracted so many developers and how they could just buy exclusives, but the second things go to heck or they have the chance to lose money, they can afford to back out, i mean, let's face it, Epic Game Store's reputation and user base is bad enough that they can afford to do things like this and know people will focus on Epic, you don't see that many brazen developers on Steam, however, because Steam is that much bigger still and does have a bigger user base that is loyal to it, so there is a much bigger chance that if they pull out games or increase prices, that people will focus exclusively on the developer.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    [​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. passerby Learned

passerby
    You actually believe that at the scale Steam operates, it has higher operation costs per user than Epic, wow :lol:

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    https://www.gamingonpc.com/general-...publisher-removes-bloodlines-2-from-egs-sale/

:M

• Funny Funny x 15
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. V_K Arcane

V_K
    That quite from two years ago is also very rich:
    Really, why would you? Charge them more, they're not going anywhere, poor slaves.
    This guy is so full of shit, even for a Russian. Hopefully that "greedy publisher" remark will get him fired.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  21. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Well, i will admit i am not an expert on this stuff, but Steam does have a lot more features and things to worry about than Epic right now, i have also seen many people say that what Epic is doing is unsustainable and that they are relying on the Unreal Engine and Fortnite to provide money for it so far.

But yeah, to whoever said i was a sheeple, you are right, i said that Epic has a much smaller user base, and that is wrong, they have a huge user base, i mean, people need the launcher to play Fortnite after all!

And the smaller people who actually use the store, of course, which, to be fair, increased with the sale.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Mate,don't waste your time on him. He actually have problems up there,just ignore him,hopefully his guardian will find out soon that he is on the internet.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. passerby Learned

passerby
    Voice chat is p2p and social stuff like forums and reviews use like 2 orders of magnitude less server resourcess than delivering game downloads, so it doesn't matter.
    Epic has Fortnite userbase, but tiny transaction volume on the store and yet it needs an infrastructure to handle an AAA game release.
    Due to sheer Economy of Scale rule and maturity of the service, it's guaranteed Steam could run on a smaller cut then Epic and in some interview, or tweet someone from Epic was estimating, that at 7% they would break even.

The mistake here was applying discount directly to prices displayed on the store pages making it look like it's publishers who are selling games cheaper on Epic Store.
    The whole debacle is about Steam drones getting butthurt at publishers, for selling games cheaper on Epic and calling to boycott their games and publishers fearing that people who miss the sale would be later butthurt at them and wait for another one.
    If the discount was applied at checkout and listed there as "Epic Store Megasale discount courtuesy of Epic Games", it'd be much harder to mobilize drones and spin it against publishers.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    When you can't even pull off a simple sale right... I mean... I don't know how people can continue to defend Epic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)