Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dunno. But clearly what happened wasn't equivalent to what happens on Steam, since it was enough to warrant publishers removing their games from the store. From those publishers' point of view and criteria, Epic's sale fucked them.

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Then they disrespect publishers and devs by putting their games on sale, even unreleased ones and non-exclusives ones, without their constent (who's footing the bill is a secondary matter here). They (and their fanboys) spin it as something good for customers.
I still find it peculiar given Steam's last big sale they gave everyone $5 store credit and there wasn't a shitstorm. Then again Steam's got more than 20 games on offer, so maybe the developers/publishers feel less targeted by that store credit offer.
It was only $5, and only if you spent over $30, once. Rather than Epic's $10 for everything $14.99 and above.
Plus it only showed at checkout.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm really sick of chinese bugmen being the deciding factor in western entertainment now.
IMO the power of the chinese consumer is heavily overestimated when you consider catering to them hurts sales pretty much everywhere else, and what you have to deal with when catering to them.
The best example is Hollywood -- the idea that Hollywood makes a ton of money from Chinese sales is false. They make a lot of money at the box office but end up getting very little of it. Their home media market is nonexistent, if it's available outside theaters everyone just pirates it(big one for video games.) In USA, only about a quarter of a film's profits come from box office sales, the rest comes from a combination of home media, TV, digital streaming, etc., To put it in perspective: Russia is actually a more profitable market than China.
P1-BR171_MOVIED_D_20140828181806.jpg

passerby

Arcane
Dunno. But clearly what happened wasn't equivalent to what happens on Steam, since it was enough to warrant publishers removing their games from the store. From those publishers' point of view and criteria, Epic's sale fucked them.

The main difference is there is no army of customers on dominant store making a shitstorm out of it. If Steam pulled similar stunt ( which it has no need for ), the same people that make shitstorm out of it would enjoy cheap games and praise Gaben.

Black Angel

Arcane

The main difference is there is no army of customers on dominant store making a shitstorm out of it. If Steam pulled similar stunt ( which it has no need for ), the same people that make shitstorm out of it would enjoy cheap games and praise Gaben.
It was only $5, and only if you spent over $30, once. Rather than Epic's $10 for everything $14.99 and above.
Plus it only showed at checkout.
Если бы у бабушки был хуй она была бы дедушкой.
Google Translate said:
If grandma had a dick she would have been a grandfather.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Not a fan of what Epic's done so far, but I can't help but smile a bit at seeing Steam get a taste of its own medicine. The Steam crowd in particular are now reacting to the beginning of something that threatens to turn into what... ah why the hell do I bother. Steamsters will just gravitate to whichever place offers the best deals. ASAIK this Steam vs Epic debate would never be on the same level of say Steam vs GOG. At this point we're just semantics over what color of UI one has for their 'game service.'

Black Angel

Arcane
Not a fan of what Epic's done so far, but I can't help but smile a bit at seeing Steam get a taste of its own medicine. The Steam crowd in particular are now reacting to the beginning of something that threatens to turn into what... ah why the hell do I bother. Steamsters will just gravitate to whichever place offers the best deals. ASAIK this Steam vs Epic debate would never be on the same level of say Steam vs GOG. At this point we're just semantics over what color of UI one has for their 'game service.'
If you think Steam is getting a taste of its own medicine, then you're blind.

If you honestly think only Steam crowd is upset with Epic's shenanigans, you're fucking retarded.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still find it peculiar given Steam's last big sale they gave everyone $5 store credit and there wasn't a shitstorm. Then again Steam's got more than 20 games on offer, so maybe the developers/publishers feel less targeted by that store credit offer.

The difference is that Steam just applied a generic coupon to your account that worked at checkout, like their normal coupons. It didn't just display every game's sale price as $5 less than it actually was. It was only handled at the point of payment, which is exactly what was occurring--Valve was offering $5 dollars towards payment.

The difference is that Steam just applied a generic coupon to your account that worked at checkout, like their normal coupons. It didn't just display every game's sale price as $5 less than it actually was. It was only handled at the point of payment, which is exactly what was occurring--Valve was offering $5 dollars towards payment.
Oh, shit. I'm dim as all hell, possibly related to the fact that I only half-assed looked at their store page. Didn't realize until just now that the EGS $10 discount applied to all games priced $15 and up. I thought it was just $10 off orders of $15 or more, and I thought it was a once-per-account thing similar to the Valve deal. Props to MuscleSpark too.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Steam crowd in particular are now reacting to

...A client which lacks basic features, purchasing exclusives, among other things. And the argument that it's a new client that needs time to develop doesn't fly, because they are competing with Steam as it exists currently, and had all the time in the world to properly develop a competitive service.

Silentstorm

Learned
Time and money, anyways, any news on how sales have been going for Epic, i do see people in other places biting the bullet and buying Hades, John Wick Hex and others while it's cheap so it does seem to be going well for Epic despite the problems with developers.

cosmicray

Savant
I think publishers simply didn't have a quick button to opt-out of sale, so outright removing game was the only option available. Once again proving how Epic Store is barebones and should have stayed in "early access" until the end of the year.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I think what's really happening is Epic wants to ensnare publishers by messing with their future pricing options. Sure, Epic will eat the cast of those $10 to make the game affordable in the attempt to get more people on their store when they see crazy good deals, but the problem is publishers are well aware other stores will not do the same which means they'd have to lower the prices willingly and cut into their profits if they want to tap those other markets for all the people who have not moved over to Epic's store and see what's going on. This doesn't happen on Steam because publishers themselves are entirely responsible for game prices, ongoing discounts, etc while Epic wants to actively meddle in said pricing to get a leg up on other stores.

It's greed all-around, but publishers should be allowed to hang themselves without additional help.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This was a fun read.

In a way when it comes to PC gaming you gotta think Steam as a big ass company like Facebook in social media, Google/Youtube for search, video content. These other giants also have their competitors.

Steam is more of a infrastructure then it is a store, it built itself up as the core where most games can lay they ground on.

Comparing Epic store to Steam is imo stupid cause they are not even in the same league.
One doesnt even have a shopping cart and the other got hundreds of tools and features for devs and costumers alike with global outreach and support.

One bad thing this maximising profits hunt brought is disappearence of big publishers from Steam. EA went away first then Activision and now even Ubisoft got enough balls to remove their new shit from Steams storefront.

Its bad for costumers overall. Removes customer input and only serves you a launcher with a store that is in core a gloryfing ad of their business that you as a user should pay for priviledge of using.
Fuck em.

Also to finish with my 2 cents on all these dev whores that gurgle Tims cum for quick buck, most of these assholes would be nowhere near their current projects they so happily sold of to Epic store if they didnt earn their living and gaming cred on Steam first and now they are acting that infrastructure that Valve made is cancer to the industry. They can fuck off as well.

Black Angel

Arcane

Did these motherfuckers seriously called out the devs who pulled out from their sales greedy??? If so, that's absolutely hilarious :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also, from the comments of other videos it seemed some users are banned for buying multiple games during sales, under suspicion of fraud. The guy in the video mentioned it at around 2:00 minute mark, but so far I can't get anything out of googling. If it's true, it's double the hilarity :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Epic is a complete shit show attempt by Sweeney to gain leverage with his Chinese buddies for even more profit. The negatives outweigh the potential positives by a metric ton. It's been one blunder after another.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Time and money, anyways, any news on how sales have been going for Epic, i do see people in other places biting the bullet and buying Hades, John Wick Hex and others while it's cheap so it does seem to be going well for Epic despite the problems with developers.
I mean, they're losing upwards of 8.5 dollars per copy during their silly 10$ back sale. Sure sounds sustainable in the long run.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're doing it just so Sweeney can boast some inflated sales numbers during E3 or something. Ignoring that they didn't actually make any money from the sales themselves, of course.

Black Angel

Arcane
Also, from the comments of other videos it seemed some users are banned for buying multiple games during sales, under suspicion of fraud. The guy in the video mentioned it at around 2:00 minute mark, but so far I can't get anything out of googling. If it's true, it's double the hilarity :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

Wonder why the media didn't pick on this one yet, since I got zero from Googling. No Youtubers has reported on this one too, but as I mentioned the guy I shared above mentioned it even if only once, and I'd assume they're currently busy with reporting on the games being pulled so next one should report on people getting banned for actually buying from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom