Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    The difference is that Steam just applied a generic coupon to your account that worked at checkout, like their normal coupons. It didn't just display every game's sale price as $5 less than it actually was. It was only handled at the point of payment, which is exactly what was occurring--Valve was offering $5 dollars towards payment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    Oh, shit. I'm dim as all hell, possibly related to the fact that I only half-assed looked at their store page. Didn't realize until just now that the EGS $10 discount applied to all games priced $15 and up. I thought it was just $10 off orders of $15 or more, and I thought it was a once-per-account thing similar to the Valve deal. Props to MuscleSpark too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    ...A client which lacks basic features, purchasing exclusives, among other things. And the argument that it's a new client that needs time to develop doesn't fly, because they are competing with Steam as it exists currently, and had all the time in the world to properly develop a competitive service.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  4. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Time and money, anyways, any news on how sales have been going for Epic, i do see people in other places biting the bullet and buying Hades, John Wick Hex and others while it's cheap so it does seem to be going well for Epic despite the problems with developers.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    I think publishers simply didn't have a quick button to opt-out of sale, so outright removing game was the only option available. Once again proving how Epic Store is barebones and should have stayed in "early access" until the end of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    I think what's really happening is Epic wants to ensnare publishers by messing with their future pricing options. Sure, Epic will eat the cast of those $10 to make the game affordable in the attempt to get more people on their store when they see crazy good deals, but the problem is publishers are well aware other stores will not do the same which means they'd have to lower the prices willingly and cut into their profits if they want to tap those other markets for all the people who have not moved over to Epic's store and see what's going on. This doesn't happen on Steam because publishers themselves are entirely responsible for game prices, ongoing discounts, etc while Epic wants to actively meddle in said pricing to get a leg up on other stores.

It's greed all-around, but publishers should be allowed to hang themselves without additional help.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This was a fun read.

In a way when it comes to PC gaming you gotta think Steam as a big ass company like Facebook in social media, Google/Youtube for search, video content. These other giants also have their competitors.

Steam is more of a infrastructure then it is a store, it built itself up as the core where most games can lay they ground on.

Comparing Epic store to Steam is imo stupid cause they are not even in the same league.
    One doesnt even have a shopping cart and the other got hundreds of tools and features for devs and costumers alike with global outreach and support.

One bad thing this maximising profits hunt brought is disappearence of big publishers from Steam. EA went away first then Activision and now even Ubisoft got enough balls to remove their new shit from Steams storefront.

Its bad for costumers overall. Removes customer input and only serves you a launcher with a store that is in core a gloryfing ad of their business that you as a user should pay for priviledge of using.
    Fuck em.

Also to finish with my 2 cents on all these dev whores that gurgle Tims cum for quick buck, most of these assholes would be nowhere near their current projects they so happily sold of to Epic store if they didnt earn their living and gaming cred on Steam first and now they are acting that infrastructure that Valve made is cancer to the industry. They can fuck off as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel

Did these motherfuckers seriously called out the devs who pulled out from their sales greedy??? If so, that's absolutely hilarious :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also, from the comments of other videos it seemed some users are banned for buying multiple games during sales, under suspicion of fraud. The guy in the video mentioned it at around 2:00 minute mark, but so far I can't get anything out of googling. If it's true, it's double the hilarity :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Funny Funny x 7
    ^ Top  
  9. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Epic is a complete shit show attempt by Sweeney to gain leverage with his Chinese buddies for even more profit. The negatives outweigh the potential positives by a metric ton. It's been one blunder after another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Avonaeon Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon

• Funny x 28
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    I mean, they're losing upwards of 8.5 dollars per copy during their silly 10$ back sale. Sure sounds sustainable in the long run.

Wouldn't surprise me if they're doing it just so Sweeney can boast some inflated sales numbers during E3 or something. Ignoring that they didn't actually make any money from the sales themselves, of course.

^ Top  
  12. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

Wonder why the media didn't pick on this one yet, since I got zero from Googling. No Youtubers has reported on this one too, but as I mentioned the guy I shared above mentioned it even if only once, and I'd assume they're currently busy with reporting on the games being pulled so next one should report on people getting banned for actually buying from there.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    Its almost as if the Epic Store client is shit tier.

I mean, Steam is still a bit bullshit in that you can't download an offline installer of the games you bought, so if you can't log into your account due to lack of internet or whatever you can't play the games you own, but at least the client works and actually looks and behaves decently. Epic is just crap. Worst client I have tried, 2/10 would not bang.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    You can just copy the game folders for games which don't use any of the drm options and start the games through the executables/make shortcuts.

Edit: there are apparently also workarounds for steamworks titles. Never tried myself, but maybe worth checking out.
    See the pcgamingwiki or other such places.

I don't think it's feasible to expect a big store like steam to enforce a no-drm policy... Publishers aren't going to accept it.

Steam's more balanced than truly consumer-focused anyway. It gives consumers, devs and publishers each plenty of options without really favoring one imo.
    Epic seemed to want to favor publishers above all in order to attract them and force users to migrate.

I wonder if those publishers are just trying to use epic in order to try and force concessions out of valve or something.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    This only works on rare games, mostly indies. GOG's forum has a list. The vast majority of Steam games require Steam and a verified account to load, making "backups" pointless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Ubisoft released AC Odyssey on Steam last year, and there are loads of AC games on there. Looks like all of them. Or did they announce that they're stopping recently?

^ Top  
  17. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    "the game folders for games which don't use any of the drm options" <- this is even in the part you quoted ;)

^ Top  
  18. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    His point was that it's an option for such a tiny amount of games, especially new releases, that it does very little to offset that particular downside of Steam.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    There's a list of DRM-free games on Steam out there: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_DRM-Free_Games_on_Steam one thing of note though, this list and probably just about any other list out there are incomplete. This list doesn't include Age of Decadence and Tales of Maj'Eyal, both proven to be DRM-free and can be launched straight from their .exe, from my own personal experience.

Meanwhile, another list I checked the other day didn't include Underrail, which is also proven to be DRM-free.

Now, here's the weirdest shit I've ever encountered upon looking at the lists. Fucking Paradox, out of all publishers out there, is maintaining a full-on DRM-free policy for ALL their developed games. If you check another list, they'll also give citation where Paradox proclaimed that the games they developed is and will always be DRM-free. I guess it's to maintain the balance of their DLC policy.

This is the most likely scenario. To put things into perspective, remember the Adpocalypse that plagued Youtube a few years back? Pewdiepie pointed out that these companies didn't pull ads from Youtube out of integrity and/or moral concern. Instead, they did it to leverage a better deal in the future with Youtube for themselves.

The exact same thing is happening now with Epic's shenanigans. Except these publishers are riding atop of Epic, contrary to those companies riding off of Youtube's mistakes. The big publishers *might* have a slight chance of making Valve budge from high profile games being available only on Epic and their own launcher from day 1, but if Valve is going to ever make a move it's sure as hell not in response to Epic's shenanigans. What's hilarious about this is the small shrimps of snowflakes indie devs who thought they can get anything good out of this other than instant bucks.

Well, my gaming interest mostly aligned with the games listed as DRM-free, so I don't mind Steam's necessary evil of at least have the launcher to download and install the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 14
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    and "cracking" steamworks DRM is literally a text file

^ Top  
  22. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Since apparently it was 2K's idea to sell it as an epic exclusive first, and now this, I think Randy is really being used as a "face" for Borderlands but actually doesn't even get decide how much sugar goes into his coffee.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Last I checked it was a lot more complicated than that, but I don't pay much attention since I buy my shit and Steam isn't going anywhere. If it's that easy now though, then good.

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Markman da Blitz master Patron

Markman
    Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They didnt remove any games from the store, just chose to not release any new game on it in 2019.
    First game they skipped was Division 2, then Anno 1800 and upcoming new Ghost Recon game wont be on Steam.
    Seems they think uPlay install base is big enough to stand on its own and it is pretty big. Just recently they bragged that RS Siege was played by more than 45 million. Its alot of ppl for just one game and then add AC, Farcry crowd.

Bit shitty move tho, dont think there is alot of money difference, if you play any Ubi games you get those club units and can use em to get 20% off anything in their store.

^ Top  
  25. J1M Arcane

J1M
    It really undermines consumer confidence in a passive way to see items disappear from the store. What are the chances your games will be there in 5 years? 10? Sure, pulling things from the storefront is different, but the last two products I went to the Epic store to purchase (Anno and Bloodlines 2 sale) were unavailable for purchase because they were pulled down(?) based on poor handling of the store.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)