Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Cross Savant

Cross
    So let me see if I understand this correctly: they made a press release to clarify that Metro: Exodus and Satisfactory sold more on the Epic store than they did on another digital store where they were never available for purchase (apart from being able to pre-order Metro for a few days before it was removed)?

Show Spoiler
    :thisisfine:

• Yes Yes x 10
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Irata Educated

Irata
    Metro allowed preorders on Steam for a bit so technically it was available on Steam. Not that the writer of that article should have included it because it wasn't available on launch day. I don't know if Satisfactory could have been preordered. I imagine, like Metro, it would have only been available for a short window of time if it was.

^ Top  
  3. Irata Educated

Irata
    Isn't Steamworks still free? I was under the impression none of Valve's features for sellers cost money.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    It still is, you don't have to pay Valve to make use of their features, the Steam Direct and sales fees cover that.

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What a worthless piece of announcement. Again, no numbers mentioned, and since we know that on consoles people still buy a huge chunk of their games physically, it is no wonder that on PC digital is more prominent.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. passerby Learned

passerby
    You can still resell physical console games.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Except it doesn't makes sense in long run. Aside from what has been listed so far, you also need to consider that it wasn't only Epic who pissed off a lot of people. Do notice that most of the games being signed exclusivity deals with are also crowdfunded, mostly from Fig. Now, if you tell me all these people who participated in helping the games possible to be developed in the first place to just shut their mouth and accept this anal fuck quietly, you gotta be really fucking kidding me.
    Besides, so far we don't have real numbers and real data that the games released exclusively on Epic so far actually proven to be profitable. It's all just buzzwords and bullshits about how "Oh, it's in line with our expectation." "Oh, it exceeded our expectation." "The game sells 2.5x more than the previous game!"

And reaaaaaal amazing how you still insist that I'm a Steam Fanboy™. And this is why you're an Epic Cuck™

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Steamboat Willie Learned

Steamboat Willie
    Tick-tock on that being a thing though. MS already released a digital-only XBone and I'll be surprised if the next gen consoles offer physical at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    PS5 will have a disk drive.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Pika-Cthulhu Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    inb4 its only for backwards compatibility with previous gen titles

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    It's a possibility, although I don't think so. It wouldn't make sense from a cost perspective. We'll see.

^ Top  
  12. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Isn’t all dependent on design? If the design just doesn’t support it then it doesn’t support it.

^ Top  
  13. Wyatt_Derp Educated

Wyatt_Derp
    Only a few left to go!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I never said they were succeeding as of now, I said exclusives were probably the only thing that would shake Valve's massive market share. I also said Epic need to follow up with a better client, better PR, and other such things to actually bear fruit with the strategy. Also I said if you promised something in crowd-funding you need to deliver, and it's bullshit when they don't. You're doing that thing where you assume my positions on shit without actually knowing them, because I disagree with you in other areas. I even stated these things within the last few pages.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yes of course, the "back in the day" part was just about how that initiative started a long time ago and is one reason so many games are "exclusive" to Steam with Valve paying for them.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. passerby Learned

passerby
    Microsoft already attempted to link games permanently to the console account for xbone, but had to backtrack because Sony refused to play along.
    I've never owned a console and don't care, but no reselling is the one of the main reasons PC gaming market share is comparable with PS, or XBOX currently.
    Each sold copy of console game is played by 2-3 people on average, when they get rid of reselling and sharing, maybe a bit less people would be inclined to D1P at full price, but the number of units sold could even double.
    It could increase console market by 50%, they would get back all revenue that parasitic services like Gamestop are leeching from them and then some more.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    And once again, you're wrong that exclusives are (((((probably))))) (((((the only thing))))) that Epic could do to gain a recognizable foothold in the industry. As much as you think people didn't care for GOG, they've provided legitimately good service by virtue of providing a catalog of good old games, of which many aren't even available on Steam, and an all DRM-free products. If you think people didn't care about this, then you're either blind or haven't been to taking a look at places where a lot of mass gathered to comment these relevant topics.
    People here already pointed out many ways for Epic to do this properly, and if they want to court devs and publishers while at it they could've done it to fund down-on-luck devs who's proven to have talent but not the marketing capabilities to sell their games. And then Epic could then market their storefronts as a place that made new games from these devs possible to be made in the first place.
    And again, if you think all Epic need is to follow up with better client, better PR, etc etc, well, if you really think about it it's already waaaaaay too fucking late, no? The fact that you think, "Oh, this is all they need to do now!" is some fabulous optimism at best.

And you're doing the exact same thing to me and most people here. Because we're calling out on Epic's bullshit, we're Steam (((((loyalist))))))? Give me a fucking break. Maybe, just maybe, we want to have a choice on where to buy, instead of having to wait for 6 months-1 year. Although, if you ask me, now that these devs/publishers revealed themselves to be blatantly anti-consumer, I personally won't be handing them a single cent in foreseeable future, and all those sailing the Seven Seas stuff is just meme from me.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    What third-party games out there actually get paid by Valve to be """""""exclusive""""""" on Steam? Name one, because this is the very first time I heard that Valve actually throw some bucks to persuade devs/publisher to sell their games exclusively on Steam.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    If only Valve threw money to Arkane when they tried to fund Arx Fatalis 2.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    If you read his post you'd see that "with" doesn't make sense. I'm sure he meant "without Valve paying for them". Meaning, devs have released games only on Steam due to that reason and/or others without Valve even needing to pay for that. Another reason being that Steam is so big that supporting another platform is not worth the bother. Which I'm sure you think it's just fine.

Also, I know you consider something exclusive only if it's named officially as such and made public, but that makes you a retard. However, if you were capable of even some basic logic and letting go of rampant fanboysm, you'd see that a game released only on a platform you love is exactly the same as a game released only on a platform you hate.

In fact, a temporary exclusive (as those on Epic) are very likely to be released on other platforms when the exclusivity period ends. On the other hand, exclusives from Steamtard developers are very likely to stay that way.
    But yeah, I know, that's awesome and those developers have integrity and fight evil. Like not releasing on GOG because hurr muh piracy protection. Truly great developers. :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    What is Valve to do about these cases, force them to publish on other platforms as well?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    GOG has never been a real competitor, and multiple indies have said they get about 5% of their sales from GOG. Most big publisher games don't come out there for many years after release, if ever. The fact you're holding GOG up as proof that Steam had competition without exclusives is frankly laughable. I'm a huge GOG fan, I buy pretty much everything I can there, but they're a super niche and not many care.

Why would it be way too late? They didn't even start this shit that long ago, their biggest game by far hasn't come out yet, and they've got a massive Fortnite warchest and can keep this up a long time. No one liked Steam at all when it started either, but exclusive games made people use it and it got better and better over time and slowly people started opting to use it. I'm sure Epic is planning the same thing. Whether they succeed or not I have no fucking idea, but again I think it was their only shot at making a big time Steam competitor. Would have been nice if they funded the exclusives rather than bought them, but strategically I don't think it makes much difference. Very few people actually give a shit about backstage crap like that.

Weird, I never had a choice about which client to use for the vast majority of games the last 15 years. I had to use Steam. If everything were on GOG or other DRM free outlets before now, you'd be hearing me bitch quite a lot about the Epic Store, just like I bitched about Half-Life 2 back in the day. Sadly I've been forced to use Steam for many years now, and I'm numb to these whines about not having choices. We haven't had choices for most games for a long time, you just didn't mind what you were forced to use. Now you do. That plus your romantic story about Steam's effect on potato economy combined should make it pretty clear why I think you and Gaben make googly-eyes at each other.

Anyway this will just go on and on in a circle and is pointless, so I'm gonna take a long break. Enjoy your commiserating.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You guys are bringing shit from other threads in here. The point was simply that getting eyes on your client is the goal. Steam did it with free Steamworks features, Epic is doing it with paid for exclusives, GOG is now trying to do it with a big push for their client being a central hub for all clients. Once you're using the client more for these reasons, they hope you spend more money on it. That's it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Just for context, on GOG market share and competition strategy:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-support-steam-rivalry-and-problematic-tweets

• Salute Salute x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. Grauken Divide and Confuse Patron

Grauken
    Sorry I didn't keep your thread clean by answering somebody else

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)