Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    Not sure if it's relevant, iirc the deal is that the guaranteed sales are paid back first and only after that do they get revenue from purchases. So even if Epic guaranteed 500,000 sales it doesn't mean they only sold 7,374 copies.
    Don't quote me on that though.

I know a lot of Japanese bought it, those were the primary streams I watched, also considering how many "influencers" pushed the game it wouldn't surprise me at all if it reached that number.
    As for the lack of buzz, I know Factorio sold about 1.5 million as of 12 months ago, and it doesn't get discussed that much either in the mainstream; Satisfactory selling a third of that during its launch period wouldn't surprise me, considering it is comparatively less niche and was pushed way harder. I also saw a lot of discussion on the #chans for whatever that's worth (whether they actually bought the game or not is a mystery).
    That said, I wouldn't rule out any number fudging for sure.

• (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Never heard of this game at all. And given Coffee Stain studios just pushes out shitty physics gimmick 'games' that isn't surprising.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. BR4ZIL Novice

BR4ZIL
    Either Epic Game Store is bizarro land or as we suspect, there has been some wild sales number interpretation.

Them selling 500k means they outsold World War Z (which did 250k sales) and Metro Exodus (which did 125k) combined, considering World War Z is a competent product and has a much broader appeal (them coop FPS games!)... i really dunno whats going on.

^ Top  
  4. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    If by that you mean they made a single Goat Simulator, then sure. They're more famous for the Sanctum series of tower defense games.

Outselling World War Z doesn't surprise me, as far as I can tell it the marketing and word of mouth weren't as strong at launch and the discovery on the Epic store is atrociously awful, plus Satisfactory has been out for longer; also let's not forget those numbers were announced before the $10 offer + sale, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot higher now. Outselling Metro Exodus however, does surprise me, even if Last Light did poorly and with the majority of the sales being on consoles.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    ^ Top  
  5. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    And Sanctum 2 flopped, so...

^ Top  
  6. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It's bad enough when someone is such a pompous faggot that he insists on italicizing every single computer game title mentioned in his forum posts, but MuscleSpark has taken it too far by italicizing shit that shouldn't be, like company names.

Just cut it out, man. You're not a writer, you're not an editor, and if you're an English major then you shouldn't be trying to broadcast such shameful information to all and sundry.

• Funny x 12
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Belegarsson Erudite Patron

Belegarsson
    Mordhau sold that much in a week, Risk of Rain 2 sold 1 mil in a month (granted there was a buy one get two deal at the first few days but still), Forager stays at between 200k - 500k 1.5 months after release and that game has much less buzz than Satisfactory. This game can easily shift way more copies considering it belongs to a genre that has an incredibly huge playerbase, the fact that it managed to sell 500k proved that it's a quality game, imagine how much more it can sell with good word of mouth.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Blaine, be nice.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Sometimes, things are more popular than they seem, they just have fans that are more quiet than a few fandoms, and it seems like Satisfactory has one such fandom, i mean, they are on a store that quite a few people hate, so even if part of the sales only happened because of Epic's big sale, that is still impressive.

Completely forgot about that game though, but that's mostly because i am not that big into games like Satisfactory rather than me being against Epic, sorry, just not that big into survival games, and even less first-person ones with anything resembling crafting, even Minecraft is a game i ended up playing very little of.

It's certainly not the timed exclusive i care about the most, and speaking of caring, how many copies did Metro sell, or Hades, or Shakedown:Hawaii?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I like that this news has generated both "no way it sold that much they're lying" conspiracy theories AND "it should have sold more considering its genre" responses.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    I only did it for the purpose of legibility, but now I might start doing it to annoy people. :lol:

• nice x 5
    • Salute x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. BR4ZIL Novice

BR4ZIL
    Well... its not like you can take any official news channels at face value nowadays (or ever, really).

And since all the sites that do metrics point out to the game not doing that well, it is suprising that apparently there are legit reasons for the game to sell that much.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    They're perfectly legible without any additional formatting. This is an Internet forum, not a formal document.

I have no doubt you'll carry on doing it. I learned long ago that you can't stop people from being insufferable faggots.

• Brofist x 5
    • butthurt x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    You tell 'em. Never let anyone stifle your passion for etiquette and protocol, even in the face of overwhelming noogies, wedgies, and Chinese burns. Wrap yourself tight in a cloak of gentlemanly conduct, and even Blaine's flippant disregard for the simple niceties cannot penetrate it.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Okay...is there a point to that image?

Oh right, the italicization thing.

^ Top  
  17. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Both positions are logically compatible.

It is both possible that the sales number has been inflated because of Epic's guaranteed number of copies sold, and that it should've sold more than that inflated number.

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I like you Blaine, but in this you are wrong. This is a prestigious magazine.

• Prestigious x 11
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ShadowSpectre Learned

ShadowSpectre
    Satisfactory might have actually sold 500,000+ copies. Sanctum/Sanctum 2/Goat Simulator sold millions of copies. The Steam sales and such factor in, but the Sanctum series is better than people have given it credit for. Both games are fun co-op or solo and look great. The FPS/TD hybrid works well with them. Sanctum 2 is actually an improvement over the first game, despite what people may think (if you play the second then go back to the first, you'll see once you get blocked by your own blocks/towers in your maze and how annoying it actually is relatively speaking). Goat Simulator sold more overall, maybe the numbers came from there, but Satisfactory is more like Sanctum and kinda like Factorio compared to Goat Simulator. I don't think it's total BS. I'd like to hope that Satisfactory is more Sanctum and less Goat Simulator at least. It's one of the few games that make me want to buy anything on the Epic Store. That and Hades. I haven't done it yet though seeing as I'm still irritated with the Epic Store as much as everyone else.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Epic Store nets another exclusive title: Shenmue III.

Which wouldn't be interesting escept for all the promises they made about how it being released on Steam.

The comments on the Kickstarter page are a deluge of anger.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Rage Rage x 4
    • meh meh x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Everyone who endorses the tower defense genre in any way should be herded inside airtight concrete rooms and gassed.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
  23. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's the Phoenix Point shit storm but on an EPICâ„¢ scale this time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    • nice nice x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    Deep Silver should reconsider.
    Picking a fight with weebs is not a battle they will win.

• Funny x 3
    • Yes x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)