Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. c2007 Savant

c2007
    I remember all of the bullshit from BioWare corporate, when they were shutting down the official forums.

Always chasing the money of children, this corporate world is designed to do. Influencers.... When I was in high school this shit was looked down upon as "peer pressure". Modern parents should have been aborted themselves.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    They will probably tell them to use Discord.
    Which actually reminds me of the time when devs would post game news on fucking Facebook instead of the game's own site, forums, or Steam page, you know, places where actual consumers might look for it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Just want to pop in to this sidebar for a moment to say that Discord is garbage as a substantial communication tool.

• Agree x 9
    • Brofist x 3
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Steamboat Willie Learned

Steamboat Willie
    Agreed. It's Reddit 2.0.

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    So basically instead of just buying on steam and then discussing on steam you have to first install epic and then install even more shit to discuss it. See, "competition" is good for you, goy.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA

Came across this, nice information there, but it's long video.

• I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

"This game has sold hundreds of thousands of copies on the Epic Games Store! WOW, the Epic Games Store is so successful!"

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. TheSentinel Arcane

TheSentinel

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • incline incline x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Ah yes, bean counter's hardest decision - how much money to let go off in pursuit of customer goodwill.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Just remember this moment the next time 100 people on Twitter get a company to cover up some woman's tits.

• retadred x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Except people complaining about tits don't buy games at all, and in this case people ALREADY bought game.

And developers didn't asked trannies from twitter for money promising there will be no titties on cover.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I absolutely think if they said Steam during the crowdfunding they need to provide it now, I said that before. I'm just cautioning you on celebrating the power of loud people on social media making companies change things they don't like. It's gonna fuck you in the ass way more than it helps you.

• cuck x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • what? x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    People don't asking Deep Silver to change things they don't like. They are asking to fullfill their promise or return already paid fucking money. Which could lead to lawsuit.
    No one owes nothing to random "loud people" but in this case it's totally opposite. Paying customers should defend their rights and they have every right to be angry.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    "Consumers demanding ethical fulfillment of a business transaction as it was presented to them before they paid is EXACTLY the same thing as femilards with no interest or investment in the product trying to bully Japanese developers into making the female characters flat and shapeless."

DalekFlay, leading gaming industry expert

• Brofist x 10
    • Funny x 5
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    Still I wouldnt buy from them again. Changing their minds after people got angry is not enough in this Case because it isnt a case of "well we didnt expect you feel this strongly about X" its a Case of "well, so you really did not like us fucking you in the ass with a sledgehammer who would have thunk it?".

I could forgive companies for pandering to sjws when for whatever reason they think they are a paying majority (although it should be clear now that thats not the case). But this situation was clear cut from the start so it shouldnt earn them any goodwill to change things back now.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Major sticking point is some believe Kickstarter is the equivalent of buying a product ahead of time or investing in a specific product, when in reality it's more akin to donating to a common goal and getting something out of it at some point. I agree with having to deliver on what you promised under that initial pitch that got people to give you their money for in the first place.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    oh, ok. we'll have to watch out for "loud people" on social media them. :roll:

kind of a broad category there, dude.
    you do realize that it's been used hundreds, if not thousands of times negatively and positively already, right?

I mean, if indeed all mass complaints fit into the same category of "loud people" AND this were a can of worms, we're hardly the ones opening it.
    This. Historically, companies have usually tried to listen to their customers. It's just smart business.

The problem is when people who aren't the target niche get involved just to change things for the sake of politics or their personal gripes.

It could take the form of an outcry on social media, or it could take the form of a fat, pink haired feminist writing/rewriting plotlines and characters for political reasons.

It could also take the form of game journos trying to shame developers for making their game too hard, or busibody senators trying to please soccer moms by legislating censorship.

Social media and "loud people" are not themselves the problem. ACTUAL consumer outcry is necessary feedback sometimes, both for companies and the industry as a whole. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    probably because kickstarters are often marketed specifically as if you are getting something ahead of time.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity
    Looks like a preorder with bonuses to me.

also, a lot of wise companies now understand that kickstarter is more of a marketing tool than it is a way to fund a complete project. they really are just offering preorders and hoping to generate excitement and buzz by having a group of core excited and invested fans.

not that we've ever seen such invested fans shill games on RPG forums or demand neutral-positive reviews or anything, right? :M

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    It's not just about niches, it's about small minorities that make a big stink and effect the majority. You have zero idea how many people actually are bothered by using the Epic Store instead of Steam, so you don't really have any idea how different it is from say the 5% of the Call of Duty audience that is female throwing a hissy fit about boob armor or whatever you're hinting at. I agree in this case getting them to deliver on what they promised is the path of the righteous man, but this power is used for evil as much as it is for good. The more giving loud social media posts a lot of power becomes the norm, the more fucked over we'll be by radical asshats screaming like babies.

• honk honk! x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • meh x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lambchop19 Arcane Zionist Agent Literally Hitler Batshit Crazy

Lambchop19
    again, the point that's been made to you is that it's not the same as feminists targeting games they don't really give a shit about.
    I am. So that's at least one.
    you tell me. you're the one who hinted first.

barely 7% of COD fans are female according to some estimates, so I really doubt even 5% of the COD would be involved in such a decision.

again, it's nothing to do with numbers. It's about the target audience. The people who the game was originally for. Even if it's 2 people.

And even if they weren't different, which they are, complaints are a tool in the toolbox. Not all wrenches should be banned from use just because someone murders someone else with one. Not all guns should be banned because an enemy kills one of your allies with one.

And more importantly, your personal refusal to use the tool of complaint will not stop the other side from using it to their ends, as they've done countless times now.

It's been "the norm" since before social media and the internet existed. Boycots, protests, letter writing campaigns. Your granddad probably saw as much of this stuff as you do now, albeit over different issues.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Complain louder. Show companies what actual customers think.

This worked with USAA when they pulled ads from FoxNews based on SJWs threatening to cancel their nonexistant accounts with them. (A mostly military bank whose customers are worried about social justice? Not likely.)

Thousands of calls from actual customers threatening to pull their money out of their bank and they changed their minds.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I agree with all this, but I think you're making a distinction between this case and the EGS shit that doesn't necessarily exist. It's not a hill I want to die on though, so whatever.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Yeah, it's dumb to think of kickstarter as a store, but promising a pledge reward and then going ehhhhhhh, we changed our minds about that because someone paid us to and for no other reason, come on man, that fucking sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ironmonk Learned

Ironmonk
    I don't know if anyone came up with this idea already... I just checked on Steam and if you visit Deep Silver publisher/developer page on Steam you can set a option to ignore games published/developed by them.

Maybe they can see the number of people ignoring their games? If that is the case, wouldn't be interesting if people that contributed to the kickstarter (and maybe others) start a campaing to put them into the ignore list to raise the pressure?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    It's not "dumb", it's exactly what it is. There is no difference between KickStarter and a Store Pre-Order for the law, for one even KickStarter's own terms state that:
    But that wouldn't matter, since once you enter into a purchase agreement with money in exchange for wares to a third party, they better fulfill it or there'll be hell to pay. It can come to FTC fines, AG offices coming after you or Class Action Lawsuits and even bankrupt your company and/or you personally, here's some reading:
    https://associatesmind.com/2015/10/26/the-coming-age-of-kickstarter-class-actions/
    https://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-makes-crowdfunded-company-pay-shady-deal
    https://www.businessinsider.com/how...ckstarter-made-an-average-guy-bankrupt-2013-1

Some people keep saying shit like "KickStarter is just Donations!" or "KickStarter is an Investment!" or other stupid shit like that, this is wishful thinking on their part and not a legal argument or analysis of the situation. If you don't want to deliver a product and get sued into bankruptcy, better not promise it in exchange for a specific amount of money in the first place. Just promise a "Thank You" E-Mail or something that you know you can deliver, and say that you're trying your best or whatever, because once something is done, it's done. If you defraud or trick people and plan on not delivering what you promised and don't offer refunds, you might get away with it because it's such a tiny amount of money they won't complain or press any charges, or the Backers are super-fans in the first place and not particularly ill disposed towards you and understanding of your plight, but all the legal risks are on you and Backers just need to initiate the legal process to get their due.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 12
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)