Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Reinhardt

Arcane
Epic can't win with better features bc Steam would immediately copy every new idea.
So maybe epic should copy already existing steam features first? Just thinking.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Epic can't win with better features bc Steam would immediately copy every new idea.
I mean the chinks and gooks are good at stealing ideas, tech etc. So it's strange that Epic hasn't already stolen all the features of Steam yet.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I mean the Chinese are good at stealing ideas, tech etc. So it's strange that Epic hasn't already stolen all the features of Steam yet.

Yeah, like an ETA and a UI that doesn't make you want to immediately close the client because of how shitty it is.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Shouldnt that be 'potential consumer', and isnt that fuck supposed to be a consumer advocate not some fucking mouthpiece?

Is kotaku getting bags of cash from sweeney or does this fucking tard do it for free?
They hate "gamers" which is why they shill so much for Epic and consoles.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shouldnt that be 'potential consumer', and isnt that fuck supposed to be a consumer advocate not some fucking mouthpiece?

Is kotaku getting bags of cash from sweeney or does this fucking tard do it for free?
They hate "gamers" which is why they shill so much for Epic and consoles.
This is true. Just look at the tweets from Jason Scheier. Even though he wrote a few articles about crunch and sexism in gaming, other than those, he always sucks up to corporations, and kicks consumers in the mouth.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I mean the Chinese are good at stealing ideas, tech etc. So it's strange that Epic hasn't already stolen all the features of Steam yet.

Yeah, like an ETA and a UI that doesn't make you want to immediately close the client because of how shitty it is.
I almost bought Metro Exodus from the EGS when it came out. But ended up buying it on PS4. But I will definitely pick it up on Steam next year as well. But my brief time on the EGS was enough to not want to make me use it ever again. Have they added user reviews yet. Steam has saved me a lot of money thanks to user reviews.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Steam has saved me a lot of money thanks to user reviews.

A review is what someone else thinks of a game. Why the eternal fuck should I care one tiny iota about that? Aggregate scores like Metacritic or Steam are just aggregates of irrelevant shit. The only valid way to check if a game is to your personal liking is to watch a gameplay video or download a demo, and even that is not super reliable. Trusting someone else's opinion has always been a mark of dementia and that's even notwithstanding shady shit like review bombing or review planting.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Steam has saved me a lot of money thanks to user reviews.

A review is what someone else thinks of a game. Why the eternal fuck should I care one tiny iota about that? Aggregate scores like Metacritic or Steam are just aggregates of irrelevant shit. The only valid way to check if a game is to your personal liking is to watch a gameplay video or download a demo, and even that is not super reliable. Trusting someone else's opinion has always been a mark of dementia and that's even notwithstanding shady shit like review bombing or review planting.

Personally I find Steam user reviews are helpful to see the state of games made by small developers that get little mention in the media.

Like Steam reviews pointing out games got well received at start but that devs promised lots of features that would be added after release or during early access but they stopped releasing new content.

Or some asian game that are released with horrible localization or broken ports.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Personally I find Steam user reviews are helpful to see the state of games made by small developers that get little mention in the media.

I think it's also where the review comes from. I don't necessarily have to agree with the reviewer, but his "expertise" at least has to align with what he's reviewing. It's why you don't get the resident sports reviewer to cover, I don't know, MMORPGs or vice versa. On Steam it comes down to people who's opinions you know matter because they come from related background so they have a valid point of reference going beyond last year's overhyped AAA title. Kinda like how, in my opinion at least, there's really no better place to go for RPG takes other than RPG Codex. You get the occasional contrarian and this place is hardly immune to bandwagons at times yet you can at least rely on most people to really speak with extensive accumulated experience so you collate it to some basic "pros vs cons" list if nothing else. Just like with everything it still comes down to separating wheat from the chaff, though. Fact is all opinions are not created equal.

Deleted Member 22431

A review is what someone else thinks of a game. Why the eternal fuck should I care one tiny iota about that?.
Because reviews can be accompanied by detailed criticisms and observations that will allow you to make a better-informed decision to buy a game or not.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just like with everything it still comes down to separating wheat from the chaff

And that's the point. Even for info that could be potentially useful - how buggy the game is, how good a port it is, missing features etc. - there mountains of chaff in the reviews. How many times have you read "completely broken, useless, UNPLAYABLE!1!1"? How reliable is a claim like that? How reliable is anything people spout?

Ultimately the only reliable way to know if you'd like a game, if you'd tolerate technical problems, is to buy it and play it. Two examples - I refused to buy Dark Souls for years based on claims of a broken, unplayable port. Then I bought it and sure, the port was broken AF but it was still the best videogame experience I've had in my entire life. And the opposite - I completely distrusted the evil hatorz that spitefully hated on Numenera here on Codex. I saw the screenshots, the videos, I knew everything about the game and I loved what I saw. Then I bought it, started playing and within the first 30 minutes I understood the game is much worse that even the hatorz claimed.

If you want to reliably know if you'd like a game you have to play it. Nobody else can do it for you.

EDIT: Oh and as for the original point of how useful game scores on Epic would be? I hope everybody in this thread understands EVERY SINGLE GAME on EGS would have a "Terribru!1!!1" score, including the non-exclusives? Nobody has any illusions about that right?

Deleted Member 22431

And that's the point. Even for info that could be potentially useful - how buggy the game is, how good a port it is, missing features etc. - there mountains of chaff in the reviews. How many times have you read "completely broken, useless, UNPLAYABLE!1!1"? How reliable is a claim like that? How reliable is anything people spout? Ultimately the only reliable way to know if you'd like a game, if you'd tolerate technical problems, is to buy it and play it.

And it is great for you that you have infinite time to play every single game in order to make a decision for yourself. Unfortunately for the rest of mankind, we have to resort to other people’s testimony and criticisms to separate the wheat from the chaff. Reading steam reviews and posts here on the Codex saved me from a lot of disappointments. You don't even have to agree with what other people are saying. The only thing that matters is that you can tell what your reactions will be based on the testimony of others.

abija

Prophet
It's quite easy/fast to skim through some reviews and see what I'll definitely not like. Even infested with bots/fake reviews a reviews section provides useful info.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Reading steam reviews and posts here on the Codex saved me from a lot of disappointments.

Dude, that was the whole point of my previous comment. I also thought listening to Steam reviews saved me from a terrible disappointment with Dark Souls. Until it didn't.

How do you know you'd be disappointed if you bought a game despite bad reviews? Also, have you never been disappointed by a game with great reviews?

Deleted Member 22431

Dude, that was the whole point of my previous comment. I also thought listening to Steam reviews saved me from a terrible disappointment with Dark Souls. Until it didn't.

How do you know you'd be disappointed if you bought a game despite bad reviews? Also, have you never been disappointed by a game with great reviews?
You make memory mistakes, perceptive mistakes, mathematical mistakes and reading mistakes. Would you stop relying on your memory, eyes, math, and books because you made mistakes in the past? Do you think that one epistemic guide is only trustworthy if it is infallible and works 100% of the time? You will end up doubting the existence of the whole world around you, Descartes.

Last edited by a moderator:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Well, on one hand a review or recommendation could help you make a decision on whether to buy a product or not, and could inform you if a product is defective.
On the other hand people tend to have shit taste. Like, there's people who actually think Borderlands 2's story is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
I refused to buy Dark Souls for years based on claims of a broken, unplayable port. Then I bought it and sure, the port was broken AF but it was still the best videogame experience
So you agree that the reviews were factually correct - the port was indeed broken - but you made a wrong decision based on that fact. I don't think you have anything to blame here other than your judgement, not in the least the reviews.
For me, that's precisely the value of user reviews, especially negative ones - I don't care for opinions, but they often include facts not mentioned in the marketing materials, or a more detailed description of the game's systems. And it's better to have that information than not. Sure, you can still make a wrong judgement call, but the chances of it are a lot lower than if you have to guess blindly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So you agree that the reviews were factually correct - the port was indeed broken - but you made a wrong decision based on that fact. I don't think you have anything to blame here other than your judgement, not in the least the reviews.

My man, this is exactly my point - it doesn't matter what people write about the game. Opinions don't matter. Even facts don't matter.

What matters is how relevant are those facts FOR YOU. And the only way to determine that is actually play the game.

That was THE WHOLE POINT of my previous posts.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There's a difference between taking everything you read as the word of God and being able to discern useful information from it.
And how exactly are you doing that? Do you have a reliable way to divine if person XYZ is full of shit or not?

Even if they say "game's buggy af", how do you know you it's not just buggy for this particular dildo because he hasn't updated his Winblowz since the invasion of Kuwait, his card is overclocked to all fucks and he's running a dozen unsupported mods? And even if the game is glitchy how do you know you'd care or not? Maybe you could tolerate a few glitches bc the gameplay is grate. And maybe you wouldn't.

You're already drowning in all sorts of uncertainties and we're just talking about something relatively objective like bugs, far away from the land of subjective like "it's boring/fun/too long/too short/too grindy" etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom