Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Perkel

Arcane
Steam won't die though.

Well, it took 9 years for Steam to implement my country's currency and payment with bank slips. Epic Store isn't as terrible as Steam was.

True, but it will have to compete for developers now. We already saw them changing therms in response. Used to be everything 30% now big names can get 20%

With Epic setting up fire under fat Gaben ass they might do some changes that will actually improve platform. Like finally allowing users to not update their fucking games. Since that retarded policy change every modded game is ticking time bomb that breaks your games and obviously Velve knows this and still chose to remove that ability.

Perkel

Arcane
since forever, big names bargain different terms

Well now there is competition that gives 12% rather than 20% if it wasn't for steam effective monopoly devs would go to epic store rather than steam with such setup. Only reason they don't do that is because steam is monopoly and they are not able to skip it.

So far everyone is winning. Devs get money + smaller cut while gamers get free games.

Hopefully there will be real 3rd and 4th contender to keep those margins low for everyone.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Winning would be if I could chose my platform through comparing prices and features between them. I really don't care about devs in general anymore, they are a whiny bunch. They think they are entitled to the world while the fans buying their stuff isn't worth or deserve shit according to them. They even whine when they manage to sell one billion copies on Steam, it's just not enough - 99,9% share is the only way! They also cry when their shitty 2 pixels per character walking simulator game doesn't sell enough so they can live in San Francisco indefinitely on the royalties. And this is excluding all the political stuff, DLCs practices, abandoned games etc. So this argument that the devs will be making more is just something I don't care about, at all, and it is highly speculative if they really do earn more in the first place. Ignoring the biggest user base isn't a good way to make sales, which would mean they are probably just in it for the big cash handout, which in turn would mean they don't care about sales or their game so why would I?

They are certain devs I like of course, but that loyalty only goes so far as in they don't fuck me over.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only if you go by EA, Bethesda and Ubisoft games. Not very unsurprising they keep their own produced games within their own stores. But before EPIC I could at least look around for the best possible key price on third party stores for the other "AAA" games...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well now there is competition that gives 12% rather than 20% if it wasn't for steam effective monopoly devs would go to epic store rather than steam with such setup. Only reason they don't do that is because steam is monopoly and they are not able to skip it.

So far everyone is winning. Devs get money + smaller cut while gamers get free games.

Hopefully there will be real 3rd and 4th contender to keep those margins low for everyone.

Oh look, someone spouting the same old Epic Game Store talking points for the nth time already, the same ones that have been disputed countless times before.

First off the EGS is not free, you pay for your "free games" with the EGS cilent spying on you and taking your info, in much larger degrees than most other gaming clients, including Steam. That's not free under any definition of the word, and is actually a security risk. Only dumbfuck people like Perkel would consider that "free".

Second, not everyone is winning. Not even close. We've already established that the consumer is not winning anything here (as it makes little to no difference to him how large a cut the dev is getting) so that leaves the devs and the publisher. What the devs are getting is being paid for pissing in their own pants: It'll make them feel warm and comfy at first, but all-too-soon that changes into a catastrophe as the warmth fades, the wetness seeps everywhere and the smell spreads. Which not only leaves them looking and feeling silly, but smelling bad on top of everything. The devs haven't felt the full force of them pissing their own pants yet, but that day will come.

That leaves the publisher as the only one winning here - using a client bereft of the most basic of features (like some of the basics needed to run an online store), being able to get away with delaying 'improvements' to the client, and raking in the dough off the one megahit title on the client, as well as all the information mined from its users. That is not an improvement to the Steam monopoly situation in any way, and even the client's upcoming changes (currently TBA) won't change that. EGS could have challenged Steam's position if it actually offered something better to the consumer than Steam already does. So far that "something" is absolutely nothing, and we're how far out from the launch of EGS? There is currently no reason to even consider EGS unless you play Fortnite, and like every other fad it will eventually fade away and die.

(Also it's 30%, not 20%.)

So I may be asking the world of you here, but either you shut the fuck up, or come into the discussion with new material. We're tired of hearing the same schlock over and over.

Deleted Member 22431

That has nothing to do with it. Just like subsidies, this is a pretty clear case of distortion of free market, only instead of a government doing it, it's a company.
I disagree. It's fair game. They are willing to spend a fortune in an attempt to dominate the market. It won't work though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And still the Epic cucks insists on the narrative that anybody who don't condone Epic's bullshit are just haters and/or Steam Fanboy™ :lol:

I'm not sure about "anybody", but you and many indeed are retarded Steamtards.
Here are the keys to detect a Steamtard:

0. Calls Steam the savior of PC gaming.
1. Thinks Epic is dividing the market. Well, true, it is, if you consider the market to be Steam, in which case you'd have to admit that Steam is a monopoly which Steamtards also don't want to admit.
2. Thinks that games that are sold exclusively on Steam are not actually exclusives even though for all intents and purposes they are exclusives.
3. Instead of blaming developers for taking the money, blames Epic for offering it. And not only that, but claims Epic is FORCING developers into exclusives. The retardation is strong in this one.

Guess what, if no developers accepted these deals there wouldn't be any.

And guess what, without Steam there wouldn't be any Epic.

And there wouldn't be any Steam without retarded consumers who accepted Steam and sucked on Gaben's dick because OMFG SAVED MUH PC GAEMING I CAN TAEK MUH GAEM WHEREVUR I GO LOOOOOL ACHIEVMUNTS ANT TRADING CARDS FOR SUPERIOR MASTER RACE!!!111

So, actually, if you think about it, anyone who ever bought anything on Steam is guilty for the existence of Epic. If gamers were not so retarded and easy to step on like cockroaches, none of this shit would exist. Exclusives wouldn't exist if people wouldn't happily buy them. But how can I not play the next awesome thing??????? I have to buy it, but totally didn't like to do it!!!!
And then you have the same Steamtards who cry about Epic having exclusives crying that their XBOX or PS4 or whatever peasant console they have does not have enough exclusives and it's not worth the money they spent on it. Worthless cockroaches.

Deleted Member 22431

Steam reviews? They are almost as terrible as Metacritic reviews, especially when they have a consensus. Most of the reviews are just two or three lines of shallow compliments.

Most movies, articles, books, and posts are bad. Steam is just reflecting this known pattern.

Deleted Member 22431

Second, not everyone is winning. Not even close. We've already established that the consumer is not winning anything here (as it makes little to no difference to him how large a cut the dev is getting) so that leaves the devs and the publisher.

Hipster Developer said:
But develops are artists and artists are good because... they are artists!

The costumers are gamers and they are alt-right white males who despise women. I hate gamers!

You can't treat gamers as costumers because muh gaems are art, not products.

It is good that we finally have some justice here, an alternative against that evil capitalist monopoly that let those evil gamers ruin artists' careers.

Now, we, the artists, will have some freedom to express our vision unconcerned by alt-right straight males and bills. I even bought a shinny eletric scooter. It's so beautiful. It's pinky and environmentally friendly. I would never be able to afford that when I was trying to sell my works of art with Steam.

The only thing you need to do is install Epic on your PC and let the Chinese use your pc to mine bitcoins.

What is not good about it?

Perkel

Arcane
First off the EGS is not free, you pay for your "free games" with the EGS cilent spying on you and taking your info, in much larger degrees than most other gaming clients, including Steam.

Second, not everyone is winning. Not even close. We've already established that the consumer is not winning anything here

Nigga please. At least make fair arguments. Steam already knows that you fuck your own mother with info they gathered over the years about you. So choosing which one will know about it makes no sense.

Secondly you established nothing other than typical steam retard logic where free games aren't free because you say so. So yes consumers are winning by receiving free games, devs are winning becuse they get benefits and less store cut.

Only one losing is typical steamtard who masturbates to his gaben picture. Because instead of clicking on steam shortcut he will have to do such horrible thing and use other shortcut. THE HORROR.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Only if you go by EA, Bethesda and Ubisoft games. Not very unsurprising they keep their own produced games within their own stores. But before EPIC I could at least look around for the best possible key price on third party stores for the other "AAA" games...

WTF are you talking about? It's BECAUSE of Steam that most AAA games can't be bought where I want (GOG) or on other clients. You guys have aneurysms when I call them exclusives, but whatever you want to call them... a ton of games are only available on Steam, which means no choice, no GOG version, no Origin version, whatever. Complain all you want about Epic "buying exclusives," fine, but don't tell me you've always cared a lot about people "getting their games anywhere they want!" but never even noticed most big games are only on Steam. It makes you look silly.

V_K

Arcane
There are two principal differences between Steam "exclusives" and EGS exclusives:
1) They are "exclusive" to the platform, not the store. As has been said numerous times in this thread - but Epictards chose to conveniently ignore - the devs can generate any number of Steam keys and sell them anywhere at any commission rate with Steam not getting a single cent from these transactions. If Epic really only cared about the revenue split, nothing would have stopped them from entering a partnership with Valve and selling Steam keys at 12% commision.
2) The devs are not contractually obliged to keep their games platform exclusive. If there is enough demand, the fans may very well convince them to consider other platforms - which already happened to a few Codex darlings. 99% of the games not available on GOG aren't there because either a) the devs want a DRM; or b) GOG has rejected them - and in neither case Steam is to blame.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
GogPQDZ.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There are two principal differences between Steam "exclusives" and EGS exclusives:
1) They are "exclusive" to the platform, not the store. As has been said numerous times in this thread - but Epictards chose to conveniently ignore - the devs can generate any number of Steam keys and sell them anywhere at any commission rate with Steam not getting a single cent from these transactions. If Epic really only cared about the revenue split, nothing would have stopped them from entering a partnership with Valve and selling Steam keys at 12% commision.
2) The devs are not contractually obliged to keep their games platform exclusive. If there is enough demand, the fans may very well convince them to consider other platforms - which already happened to a few Codex darlings. 99% of the games not available on GOG aren't there because either a) the devs want a DRM; or b) GOG has rejected them - and in neither case Steam is to blame.

I know all this and am not debating it again. I agree it's different. However he was like "I want everyone to be able to get games wherever they want!" while seeming oblivious to the fact that I can't do that for most games because they all tie to Steam. You guys who want to use Steam all the time don't seem to understand that for some of us it's forced on us the same as Origin/Epic are for you, whatever the reasons.

Mark Richard

Arcane
The weasel thinks gaming is some kind of charity for indies.

Also the trend of shitting on your audience continues unabated.

Jason Schreier lives in a strange fantasy utopia where all creative endeavours are recognised and rewarded, the act of producing such content is more important than the content itself, everyone gets financial security for their finger paintings, and 'market demand' is a banned term used only by a small group of sewer-dwelling outcasts. I have a basic level of respect for creators who've put something out in the world for public scrutiny, but mere effort doesn't compel me to permanently fund dream jobs in the entertainment sector. Indi developers are going out of business all the time because there's no demand for their games. That's the system working as intended.

Having said that, I don't hold to this nonsense that Epic are subverting the free market by taking on the debt of a few Indi developers. If the games don't sell, Epic loses money and will be less inclined to support them again. The consumer has just as much power as they did last week, though the developer is less likely to realise how precarious their position in this arrangement is until its too late. This Ooblet situation brings to mind a child hiring an older kid to be a bodyguard in exchange for doing his homework, and immediately using their newfound power to push others around. A few bad grades later and the bodyguard splits, leaving the child surrounded by ticked off classmates.

V_K

Arcane
You guys who want to use Steam all the time don't seem to understand that for some of us it's forced on us the same as Origin/Epic are for you, whatever the reasons.
Thing is, Steam isn't forced on us by Valve. It's just the way circumstances aligned. In the case of games that GOG rejected, it's even essentially forced on us by GOG. In Epic's case, however, there is an intent behind forcing it on the players, which naturally provokes resistance and resentment.
And to be completely clear - I think I said that in another post already - I don't mind Epic exclusives that started their life as exclusives. It's the snatching of Kickstarter projects (without at least first consulting the bakers) or titles already advertised on Steam - and being smug and condescending about it - that I find reprehensible.

Perkel

Arcane
There are two principal differences between Steam "exclusives" and EGS exclusives

Oh yes now explain me why some exclusives are good and other aren't. It makes as much sense as steamtards being ok with developers releasing their game only on their site but somehow devs releasing game only on EGS is somehow issue.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
[Writes a post about how Steam "exclusives" aren't really exclusive]
[Writes another post about why Epic exclusives - deservedly - generate much more bad will than games only available on Steam]
Oh yes now explain me why one exclusives are good and other aren't. It makes as much sense as steamtards being ok with developers releasing their game only on their site but somehow devs releasing game only on EGS is somehow issue.
Checking reading comprehension... Fail!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nigga please. At least make fair arguments. Steam already knows that you fuck your own mother with info they gathered over the years about you. So choosing which one will know about it makes no sense.

Secondly you established nothing other than typical steam retard logic where free games aren't free because you say so. So yes consumers are winning by receiving free games, devs are winning becuse they get benefits and less store cut.

Only one losing is typical steamtard who masturbates to his gaben picture. Because instead of clicking on steam shortcut he will have to do such horrible thing and use other shortcut. THE HORROR.

First, you quoted the wrong user.

Second, you assume falsely that I'm a Steam fanboy. I've been opposed to Steam for a great deal longer than EGS has even been an idea. Of course I have a Steam account, but I don't swear by it or anything, I prefer doing my business on GOG.

Third. this isn't "typical steam retard logic" or "me just saying so" - it's just logic. You see yourself getting free games for $0.00 and think solely of it as a financial transaction where you get something for nothing, when instead you should be looking at it as a trade. A trade always involves something being taken for something being given. What are you giving up for some free games here? If you'd look into the inner workings and behind-the-scenes dealings of EGS, you would quickly realize that not only is it far from ever being called "free", but that the trade may actually not be in your favor.

Fourth, I'm well aware of what info Steam is gathering, and the EGS is worse than that. Much worse. The lesser of two evils, and all that. This is why I don't take the free games on Humble Bundle - they demand that you link a Steam account to your profile to get them... then they give you the game in the form of a Steam code, instead of just activating it themselves. They only make that demand to learn your Steam account ID. Seeing as how Humble Bundle has become little more but a giant honeypot so that people freely share their data with them, I see very good reason to be wary of any digital distributor.

But yeah, keep pointlessly calling me a 'Steam retard' if it makes you feel any better, and meanwhile I repeat my previous request: Bring something new to the table here, or shut the fuck up.

EDIT: These embarrassing typos of mine are getting out of hand.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

WTF are you talking about? It's BECAUSE of Steam that most AAA games can't be bought where I want (GOG) or on other clients. You guys have aneurysms when I call them exclusives, but whatever you want to call them... a ton of games are only available on Steam, which means no choice, no GOG version, no Origin version, whatever. Complain all you want about Epic "buying exclusives," fine, but don't tell me you've always cared a lot about people "getting their games anywhere they want!" but never even noticed most big games are only on Steam. It makes you look silly.

What are you babbling about? I would prefer if all games went to ALL stores, to be buy-able on all platforms and at third party sellers. My number one dream, and I know I don't share this with many, and that is going back to CDROM, DVD cases with manuals and all. The only thing I was pointing out is that you can buy incredible cheap keys from third party sites, which to my knowledge EPIC do not allow. Not GOG either for that matter.

Games made by EA, UBIsoft and such is to me no surprise they remain exclusive to their store, and to me that is fair, since they paid and made these games. I would love to see them offer keys too like Steam do, and tbh, I'm actually surprise they don't since that is what made Steam so big in the first place.

Silentstorm

Learned
I think physical copies on consoles still sell, it's just that quite a few gamers don't mind going digital for convenience such as not caring about having to find space for the boxes and all that.

I also wonder about manuals coming back, i still remember that article about a teacher giving college students an assignment to play Ultima IV and almost no one read the manuals, they didn't know it was required nor really wanted to read manuals, La-Mulana was a game with information required to beat the game in the manual and so few people even looked at the thing they had to look at walkthroughs or guess everything and that was such a failure La-Mulana 2 doesn't require the manual because who reads those anymore?

Heck, i remember in the 00's going on a bus regularly and there was this group of kids that would use it to go to a store and buy PS2 games, and by hearing them talk, it was clear they didn't read manuals and just left them aside, i think there was one time they came with a bag holding some Mortal Kombat game, talking about the story and one character in the game, having doubts about the story of one character...and they didn't open the case to read the manual at all, just went online on their phones wasting money.

It was one of those times i understood why manuals became smaller and started dissapearing, it was a lot of work done for something that not enough people read or cared about anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom