Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
GoG really fucked up big time. They started out only a realtively short while after Steam, and they could have ended up being huuuuge, a legitimate threat to Steam despite being Eastern European rather than in first worldia, but they shortchanged themselves by only trying to appeal to a niche of a niche of a niche market.

GOG's "No DRM on any of our games" was a bigger dealbreaker for obstinate publishers.

passerby

Arcane
They've got their foot on the ground thanks to no drm and selling old games Steam didn't want at the time.

While no drm enclosed them in the niche, it also justifies its continued existence, without it everyone would prefer Steam.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Other than Arkham Knight, which was a huge flop, the Batman games have been in the $1 tier of numerous bundles.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In other news. Epic apparently has good customer service. I did refund of Borderlands 3 because friend bailed on me and said he won't play with me bl3 after all and i was not interested in playing it alone:

123.jpg
Wait a minute. What's so special about you that they say "a customer like you deserves the best customer service"?

What about customers that are not "like you"? Fuck them, they don't deserve the best customer service? Customers now have to earn good service? What the fuck is this shit? Epic giving you and some other customers preferential treatment doesn't mean they have good customer service at all.

So what is it that makes you special to them? Did you spend like a whale on the Epic store?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
In other news. Epic apparently has good customer service. I did refund of Borderlands 3 because friend bailed on me and said he won't play with me bl3 after all and i was not interested in playing it alone:

123.jpg
Wait a minute. What's so special about you that they say "a customer like you deserves the best customer service"?

What about customers that are not "like you"? Fuck them, they don't deserve the best customer service? Customers now have to earn good service? What the fuck is this shit? Epic giving you and some other customers preferential treatment doesn't mean they have good customer service at all.

So what is it that makes you special to them? Did you spend like a whale on the Epic store?
They probably read the Codex and see that Perkel is shilling for them like a madman. He is ther special PR guy.

Perkel

Arcane
They probably read the Codex and see that Perkel is shilling for them like a madman. He is ther special PR guy.

I would gladly receive cash. Not only i would get free games but also free money. XD

Bought BD3 again from key site for around 43$, dude i will be playing with is fucking mental. One day he says he won't buy but then release date and dude "umhhhh i know you did refund and all.... but i bought it". Fucker.

Perkel

Arcane
Both Outer Wilds and Other Worlds are epic exlcusives....

aww shit. There will be some butthurt.
Especially from those who will choose MS store and will get bug where they can't download game at all until they reinstall system. I recently had to redownload Forza7 and i had this bug.

Do not under any circumstance pick MS store. I have 2 games on it and those 2 games give me same bug. If your windows version is finnicky it won't allow you download games or it will just download like 10% and start all over again.
Fucking torrent developers who work for free after hours are better engineers than MS.

Wait a minute. What's so special about you that they say "a customer like you deserves the best customer service"? What about customers that are not "like you"? Fuck them, they don't deserve the best customer service? Customers now have to earn good service? What the fuck is this shit? Epic giving you and some other customers preferential treatment doesn't mean they have good customer service at all. So what is it that makes you special to them? Did you spend like a whale on the Epic store?

The joke here is that i did refund. They answered in less than 10 minutes and did respond to random thank you from me. That is A+ customer service.

Steam: wait few hours to day for answer
MS: Fuck you, all purchases are final. You can't download it because of our broken store ? fuck you and your dog.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
That still doesn't excuse Valve's shitty service. It's frankly abysmal for a multi billion dollar company to have customer service move as slow as it does.

This thread has really turned around from shitting on Epic for being terrible to sucking Valve's dick no matter what, even when they are just as bad or worse.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Nah, it's more like an endless cycle of FeelTheRads sperging out about Steam and Perkel's amazingly retarded takes about how Epic is actually helping the industry. Can't really blame people for then calling them retards in return.

Reinhardt

Arcane
This thread has really turned around from shitting on Epic for being terrible to sucking Valve's dick no matter what, even when they are just as bad or worse.
Nigga, this thread is pretty much ded until another chinese bot decides to charge at windmills"steamtards".

Sentinel

Arcane
That still doesn't excuse Valve's shitty service. It's frankly abysmal for a multi billion dollar company to have customer service move as slow as it does.

Why is it shitty? Valve has improved tremendously in their Customer Support, and even publishes their stats for everyone to see. There's no need to lie anymore.

kZlj0hf.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
They've improved tremendously yet it's still shit. 2-10h for what will be an automated response is fucking garbage, the message right after the first automated message is always automated as well, and only after that if you hope and pray enough you get a human response after maybe 3 days.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
A form letter isn't the same thing as an automated response. No reason to write out a personalized answer when "Did you try plugging shit in, you retard?" or "No, we can't take your word for it that your brother used your account and fucked shit up, moron." will work 90% of the time.

V_K

Arcane
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/13/bord...uffering-from-serious-launch-issues-10737410/

Borderlands 3 launched at midnight last night and despite the late hour there were plenty of fans excited to get into the game and start looting. The launch, however, has sadly not been the best for PC players, as they’re reporting a number of technical problems. One of the most frequent issues discussed on Reddit and ResetEra is that stuttering seems to occur at random, making a smooth frame rate all but impossible. Some fans state that aiming down sights in a new location causes it to happen, but others claim even just moving the camera turns the game into a jerky mess.
[...]
Strangely, a number of issues can apparently be fixed by closing the Epic Games Store launcher once Borderlands 3 has loaded up – which seems to help in some way.
Strangely :lol:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Discord gives in. After months they shut down general game store (game purchases are integrated into official dev servers) they also stop giving games for Nitro subscription, because no one played them: https://blog.discordapp.com/whats-coming-for-nitro-a732ddc4b5b1

This coming October marks one year since we signed the first batch of games to our Nitro Games catalogue. This means next month, it’s time to revisit those annual contracts.

We learned a lot from all of you over the last year. Through your valuable feedback, it became clear that while we and some of you love these games, the truth is the vast majority of Nitro subscribers didn’t play them.

So, after careful consideration, we won’t be hitting Continue when these contracts come up for renewal. The Nitro Games catalogue will be removed on October 15th, 2019.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
With 247k concurrent players, Borderlands 3 is the #5 biggest singleplayer launch in PC history.

No doubt it would have sold better on Steam, but for a fledgling storefront it's incredible.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

Mustawd

The numbers don't lie. BL3 is the #5 biggest singleplayer launch in PC history.

No doubt it would have sold better on Steam, but for a fledgling storefront it's incredible.

Oh look...it's that guy that wants attention...

Gentlemen, I suggest we don't give this retard what he wants. I'll be ignoring him the old fashioned way.

Mustawd

Discord gives in. After months they shut down general game store (game purchases are integrated into official dev servers) they also stop giving games for Nitro subscription, because no one played them: https://blog.discordapp.com/whats-coming-for-nitro-a732ddc4b5b1

This coming October marks one year since we signed the first batch of games to our Nitro Games catalogue. This means next month, it’s time to revisit those annual contracts.

We learned a lot from all of you over the last year. Through your valuable feedback, it became clear that while we and some of you love these games, the truth is the vast majority of Nitro subscribers didn’t play them.

So, after careful consideration, we won’t be hitting Continue when these contracts come up for renewal. The Nitro Games catalogue will be removed on October 15th, 2019.

I thought this was only Nitro related. In the FAQ they say that games bought individually aren't affected.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I thought this was only Nitro related. In the FAQ they say that games bought individually aren't affected.

They have removed general game store (where you can browse and buy games, like Steam store) months ago. Now you can only buy games on verified publisher servers (ie. you can buy some Nightdive games only on their official Discord server). (So yeah, actually you can say they gave in months ago.) That FAQ addresses those purchases will be not affected by this decision.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Man advertises his potatoes in Tesco and then he dares to sell them in Wallmart because Wallmart gave them better therms to sell their potatoes there. Now people who like potatoes are supposedly angry that they will have to go to store 1meter away.

Advertising is business, it comes with terms and responsibilities. Up until very recently, advertising on Steam implied that the game will be released on it, and in fact it would be released at the same time as everywhere else (in the worst case) or sooner than anywhere else (in the best case, for Steam of course). I don't know what mental processes lead you to the conclusion that developers who misused Steam for their game are blameless, but such a process is neither coherent nor accurate.

And I say that as someone who despises DRM and can rightly say that I dislike Steam for a variety of reasons. Yet to disparage Steam so unjustly is completely disproportionate, especially when scummy practices by the developers are trying to be justified somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom