Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

ultimanecat

Arcane
biggest singleplayer launch

Isn’t the game essentially always online unless you literally disconnect from the internet?

This game is singleplayer in the same way as WOW is if you’re not running in a group. You’d need to compare it to Diablo and MMO numbers, not Fallout 4.

Edit: also holy fuck this is based on a vague tweet without actual numbers from Randy Pitchford. Yeah never mind this list is retarded.

ultimanecat

Arcane
I'm going to save you and I a lot of trouble arguing over whether a game that is only offline when you pull the ethernet cord is actually a singleplayer game or not by telling you that Randy Pitchford is full of shit. Often, hilariously full of shit. I'm sure the game is doing well but whatever mongoloid garbage he tweets is clearly going to be filtered and distilled through several layers of retarded sex pervert embezzler nonsense.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
...Borderlands 3’s peak concurrent PC player count doubled the all-time peak for Borderlands 2...

The 'based on peak concurrent player count' doesn't mean shit.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Does the ebin games store require you to download and run malware in order to run executables like steam? Do they make business by marketing drm chemical warfare to customers as something that is a net contribution to humanity? Any store front that I can't put my card details in and then direct download and cut ties with can fuck off. When I go buy strawberries from the grocer, they don't follow me home, and if they tried I'd tell them to sod off.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Let me ask you this: would you rather GabeN be spying on you or... the Chinese Government?

Perkel

Arcane
Let me ask you this: would you rather GabeN be spying on you or... the Chinese Government?

Considering that every major US IT company had been involved in prism there is 0 reason to think that Steam with those numbers already isn't sending data to US government with private agreement (i don't even count bulk data collection).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Speaking of futile efforts, here's another one that's somewhat on topic:

IZdn9Pj.jpg

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That still doesn't excuse Valve's shitty service. It's frankly abysmal for a multi billion dollar company to have customer service move as slow as it does.

This thread has really turned around from shitting on Epic for being terrible to sucking Valve's dick no matter what, even when they are just as bad or worse.
How long have you been working for Tencent?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

IZdn9Pj.jpg

I have never bought an EA game. Pirated some back in the day, and just when I switched from being a pirate to being a legit customer they decided to stop using Steam and only using their own Origin storefront. And I really can't be arsed to install that piece of shit and buy games on there.

And no, I'm not a steamtard who only buys games when they're on Steam, because that's what a lot of people here claim. "Hurr you just don't want to use any other launcher than your favorite one durr."

Yes, Steam is the store I use the most. But I also own games on:
- GoG
- itch.io
- Uplay
- game installers that I bought directly from the dev's website

Yet I will never buy from Origin, and I will never buy from Epic Store.

It's not because I love Steam so much I refuse to buy anywhere else. It's because Epic Store is so shit I refuse to buy from that particular store.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
In the past I also bought lots of indies on Desura, even managed to download all of them before they shut down

PrettyDeadman

IZdn9Pj.jpg

I have never bought an EA game. Pirated some back in the day, and just when I switched from being a pirate to being a legit customer they decided to stop using Steam and only using their own Origin storefront. And I really can't be arsed to install that piece of shit and buy games on there.

And no, I'm not a steamtard who only buys games when they're on Steam, because that's what a lot of people here claim. "Hurr you just don't want to use any other launcher than your favorite one durr."

Yes, Steam is the store I use the most. But I also own games on:
- GoG
- itch.io
- Uplay
- game installers that I bought directly from the dev's website

Yet I will never buy from Origin, and I will never buy from Epic Store.

It's not because I love Steam so much I refuse to buy anywhere else. It's because Epic Store is so shit I refuse to buy from that particular store.
Origin is actually really really good.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Out of curiosity I went and checked when was the last time I bought a title from Electronic Arts.

Barring titles I may have gotten from the local Giftstravaganza (such as Dead Space and Mirror's Edge) it seems that my last EA purchase was American McGee's Alice sometime back in 2001.

Out of curiosity I went and checked when was the last time I bought a title from Electronic Arts.

Barring titles I may have gotten from the local Giftstravaganza (such as Dead Space and Mirror's Edge) it seems that my last EA purchase was American McGee's Alice sometime back in 2001.

The last I bought was Mass Effect 3 to finish off the trilogy back in 2012.

Squid

Arbiter
Sure it has a decent refund policy but Origin is still a shit client. It freezes and crashes, it locks up when I try to launch something. Friends list is shit. The layout on the left makes little sense besides them asking me to check the store before clicking on my games I already own.

Steam nor GOG crash and freeze up like Origin. Origin is about tied with GOG in UI if they UI actually worked in Origin.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
vw9AJkI.jpg

Now Rockstar has an actual launcher thing: https://www.pcgamesn.com/rockstar-games-launcher?amp

The Rockstar Games Launcher is here, and it comes with GTA: San Andreas for free

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past year of covering PC games, it’s that players really love downloading additional launchers to play their games. Rockstar is the latest to capitalise on this beloved trend, and you can now download the Rockstar Games Launcher to see the results for yourself – and snag a free copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas while you’re at it.

The Rockstar Games Launcher works pretty much as you’d expect, once it’s installed from the official site. You can buy games through the attached store – currently including GTA5, GTA3 Vice City, Max Payne 3, Bully, and L.A. Noire – and run them through the simple interface with the benefit of automatic updates and cloud saves. There’s also an option to scan your PC for existing installs of Rockstar titles so that you can add them to your library here.

To sweeten the deal, Rockstar is offering a free copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to redeem through the launcher for “a limited time.” It’ll stick with your library in perpetuity, so you can say “aw shit, here we go again” whenever the mood strikes.

At this point, no publisher wants to give another platform a cut when it can just sell its own games directly – at least on PC, where there aren’t any barriers to making that happen.

In other words, get used to the Rockstar Games Launcher if you’re waiting for the Red Dead Redemption 2 PC release date – chances are good that this’ll be the exclusive home of future releases from the company.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom