Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
6 millions wasn't enough

Fishy

Savant
Just found out the outcry about the new 30-day rule on Steam game page. Some battles you just can't win. One day Steam is a horrible monopolistic platform that costs too much for useless services and where new games are invisible and can't be promoted, the next they're bullies for taking away an apparently essential marketing tool... Reminds me of the great floodgates opening when Valve caved in after indies went up in arms against unacceptable curation, only to end up being blamed for games having too much competition on the store.

It's pretty insightful to see the complaints coming from itch.io users though. Considering itch allows a free choice of cut down to 0% should one wish to, it goes a long way to show how much of a red herring it actually is. It's all about visibility and marketing. This is what they still crave from Steam, and this is the major benefit of the EGS: very very little competition for minds on a highly curated store.

Fishy

Savant
Rocket League (now Epic property) no longer regionally priced in a few regions on Steam. Competition already driving prices down!

Argentina: AR$ 224,99 to AR$1153,00
Brazil: R$ 36,99 to R$ 83,05
India: ₹ 565 to ₹ 1435
Mexico: Mex$ 179.99 Mex$ 400.05
Russia: 419 ₽ to 1331,05 ₽
Taiwan: NT$ 468 to NT$ 628
Turkey: ₺31,00 to ₺116,05

I really do wonder how big the numbers are for people morally okay with piracy who bought on Steam for its features. It's a genuine question, and I don't think anyone knows the answer. In either case though there's a sizable number of people who are not morally okay with piracy, and exclusives will work on them (as shown throughout gaming history). Exclusives are the third way to make money, in addition to your first sentence. Do you think Epic's paying for them just for shits and giggles? Do you think Sony and Microsoft do? They influence consumer behavior, obviously.
in a digital world, features have to act along our laziness.
remorseless pirate here.
i avoided steam for years, it was completely useless to me, i wanted and still want my physical object when i give money away for it, if i don't own money anymore i demand to be owning something else in exchange, play.com got rich with my orders.
my first purchase on steam has been the x-com package, because
1) i could download it faster than i could find the floppies
2) it worked out of the (virtual) box, without tinkering with dosbox
3) it was updated
4) it was hella cheap
all those reasons went along with laziness.
during the later years i also bought a lot during the 80-90% sales, 1-5 euros for a game was cheap enough to convince me to forfeit my preciousssss box. bundles helped too. also workshop, once properly fixed long, long later, has been a valuable commodity.

times are a changin', it'd take me several days, even a whole week in special cases (like middle earth shadow of war. nigga please, 100 gb? are you nuts?), to download a game, point 1 is out. 99% of the sold stuff barely works, needing months of patches, point 2 is out. it doesn't matter, i must wait for updates, i'm not gaining any time here, point 3 is out. sales aren't as good as they were, games which once went down to 20% price after 6-10 months now are still full price after years, so point 4 is out.
and then, on top of all this, i have to put up with a gigantinc plethora of clients and launchers, each and every one of them a potential security breach, an annoyance, a weight on ram and cpu, a reason to be worried.
i see absolutely no reason to keep following these trends, i rather stopped buying altogether.

passerby

Arcane
1) Like downloading from a torrent would be any faster.
2) and 3) Pirates have to wait for a new crack to get patches.
4) They've figured out that they can actually make more money by letting some poorfags go, instead of devaluing their games too fast.

All points are dealt with on Epic no worse than on Steam. If anything Epic provides exclusive indies with proffessional QA teams for free, because it doesn't want buggy games as their exclusives, so point 2) is actually better.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I doubt that.
The larger concern is becoming a node on the Chinese intelligence network. We can't be sure what information they're looking for, and we can't be sure what they'll do with it... but we can be sure that, whatever they're doing, it's opposed to my best interest.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-is-the-fastest-selling-game-in-2ks-history_7

Borderlands 3 has managed to sell over five million copies in its first five days - doubling the amount Borderlands 2 sold in its first week of release and making it the fastest-selling game 2K has ever made.

It's even become 2K's highest-selling title on PC in a five-day window, which is of note given the PC version of Borderlands 3 is an Epic Games store timed exclusive.

Oh man, it's almost like you're a bunch of whiny cunts who don't matter at all.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-is-the-fastest-selling-game-in-2ks-history_7

Borderlands 3 has managed to sell over five million copies in its first five days - doubling the amount Borderlands 2 sold in its first week of release and making it the fastest-selling game 2K has ever made.

It's even become 2K's highest-selling title on PC in a five-day window, which is of note given the PC version of Borderlands 3 is an Epic Games store timed exclusive.

Oh man, it's almost like you're a bunch of whiny cunts who don't matter at all.
Oh man, it's almost like this number doesn't matter, because we don't know how would it sell on Steam.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I assume at least 1 or 2 of those million "sold" are part of the guaranteed sales thingy. No reason why EPIC wouldn't include those numbers as sold.

Thane Solus

Arcane
China OS which lets you block just about anything POS apps vs Android default that lets any applications have 10 permission, including reading your contacts, see your images, access your gps etc. You goys dont look at the permissions when installing the next desu desu apps, right? Pointless... The definition of Drones.

Perkel

Arcane
bhahaha been troling steamtards for past 30 minutes and this happens. Someone really doesn't like steamtards. Randy is that you ? Imagine someone was willing to spend money to buy some stupid upvote, they were so annoyed or butthurt.

unknown.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh man, it's almost like this number doesn't matter, because we don't know how would it sell on Steam.

The fact it sold better than Borderlands 2 or GTA5 did on Steam the first week tells you all you need to know if you aren't blinded by Gaben cock.
Newer games sell more copies than older games, congratulations on your groundbreaking discovery.
Almost as if the amount of people playing video games increases substantially every year or something.

Dexter

Arcane
I assume at least 1 or 2 of those million "sold" are part of the guaranteed sales thingy. No reason why EPIC wouldn't include those numbers as sold.
That's supposedly the number across all platforms (XBone/PS4). If you break down the spin it's a lot of smoke for investors over a moderately successful launch.

Within its first five days of launch, 50 percent more consumers purchased Borderlands 3 versus sales of its predecessor – Borderlands 2 – making the title the fastest-selling in 2K’s history, as well as the highest-selling title for the label on PC in a five-day window.
Good for them, it means that they've had a lot of consoletards Pre-Ordering, but "fastest-selling in 2K’s history over a five-day window" doesn't mean that much, just that it sold more in those five days than the yearly NBA 2K release and games like Mafia III, BioShock Infinite, The Bureau, The Darkness, XCOM 1/2 or Civilization VI managed (they're not talking about total sales here): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2K_games

Borderlands 3 has sold-in more than 5 million units in its first five days, leading the Borderlands franchise to generate more than $1 billion in Net Bookings and becoming the second franchise in 2K history to achieve this milestone.
They are announcing now that the franchise (Borderlands) made $1 billion after 5 titles and with 22 million lifetime sales on Borderlands 2 alone: https://www.dualshockers.com/borderlands-2-passed-22-million-copies-sold/

Also notice that they're using "sold-in" instead of sold, which means retailers ordered that many and likely also includes Sales guarantees and other agreements.

GTA V for instance made $1 billion alone in 3 days: https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/09/28/gta-5-sales-hit-1-billion.aspx
RDR2 also almost got there in a week: https://fortune.com/2018/10/30/red-dead-redemption-2-sales-record/

The fact it sold better than Borderlands 2 or GTA5 did on Steam the first week
2K is a Subsidiary of Take Two and they don't publish RockStar games.

Last edited:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron

The fact it sold better than Borderlands 2 or GTA5 did on Steam the first week tells you all you need to know if you aren't blinded by Gaben cock.
Borderlands 2 was 7 years ago. Steam went from peak concurrent users of 6 million in 2012 to now 18.5 million in 2018.
GTA5 is Take2 and not 2K. There's no way BL3 did better than Red Dead Redemption 2 and only a complete idiot would believe otherwise.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Honestly are people going to forget the time 2K said Mafia 3 was a financial success with shipping nearly "4.5 million copies" within the first week as well and all we've heard about Hanger 13 since is that they had a bunch of lay offs in 2018 and then nothing about the actual Mafia IP today? I'd go as far as to even say that even the recent NBA with all the literal gambling systems that it has is still probably selling more than BL3 is currently.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Perkel the fan of mud/earth or anything you can throw at him, trolling somebody... What is the this world coming to, sees smiles for posts ratings, infini ("funny") avatars and Scruffy as moderator... oh never mind. Too old for this shiet.

More than Half of the people in this thread have no idea how Steam function, on user or developer side, the rest just guess. Dont worry, half of the people posting on the steam dev forums (private) are the same.

Hey let me tell you my opinion on something i have no idea how it works. Hey pretty buttons and thumbs, oh vey!

GG!

:imperialscum:

P.S. Steam is shit, Epic is even worse (till u get ze bribes and retire from a bankrupt creative industry, with small exceptionz) !

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
bhahaha been troling steamtards for past 30 minutes and this happens. Someone really doesn't like steamtards. Randy is that you ? Imagine someone was willing to spend money to buy some stupid upvote, they were so annoyed or butthurt.

unknown.png

What’s the comment? I want to see an example of high quality reddit posting in case I ever develop an aneurysm and decide to hang around plebbit.

Perkel

Arcane
What’s the comment? I want to see an example of high quality reddit posting in case I ever develop an aneurysm and decide to hang around plebbit.[/QUOTE]

You ask i shall giveth.
It is amazing how steamtards get riled up when you call on their bullshit.

Imagine someone paying for that lol.

unknown.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom