Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    • meh meh x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, that's what I've been saying. I do think exclusives and giveaways work to get people to use it, but if they want to transform those people into ones who prefer it they need to improve that client a loooooot faster than they are. It baffles me they seem to not give a shit.

^ Top  
  3. passerby Savant

passerby
    If they can transform those people into "check the store at least twice a month and have no problem buying an exclusive there" it'll be enough, no *prefer* required.

Giveaway twice a month trains customers into a habit and the more games a person has on the store the less resistant this person will be to purchase another one, so such a long period and sheer volume of decent give aways goes a long way to achieve these goals.
    Of course general barebonesness of the platform does a decent job at sabotaging this positive conditioning. It boggless the mind that they can throw 10s of millions around, but couldn't dedicate strong enough team to make competent platform on launch, let alone half year later.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. passerby Savant

passerby
    Advance against sales most likely, like with other deals we know about. If it was stright up payment Epic would need to move 3M full price units to break even, which is not going to happen.

^ Top  
  6. taviow Magister

taviow
    True, but also, this is by definition a non self-sustaining strategy for Epic. They don't intend to make a profit just yet. They just want exclusives in their platform.

^ Top  
  7. HarveyBirdman Scholar

HarveyBirdman
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taviow Magister

taviow
    Of course. Why would they give it away for not even using their platform? They want more active users. You pick the games up, you have to use the Epic launcher to run them, you're using the platform so you're a potential customer, and you're boosting their numbers.

• Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    In the article, "Elsewhere in the document, it notes that this payout is specifically being counted as revenue for the exclusivity deal and isn't related to revenue from sales of the game." which I would take to mean it isn't just an advance against sales.

^ Top  
  10. HarveyBirdman Scholar

HarveyBirdman
    I was hoping somebody figured out a workaround. Oh well. My backlog is already going to take me a decade to finish, so it's no big deal.

^ Top  
  11. taviow Magister

taviow
    Test if you can download the game and then close Epic and just run the .exe. I would doubt so but might be worth a try.

^ Top  
  12. passerby Savant

passerby
    What it says is that it's not accounted as revenue from game sales, it doesn't exclude the possibilty that Epic won't send them any sales revenue untill it recoup these 10M.

Of course it's not impossible, since with Fortnites 200M monthly revenue, they certainly can afford to burn some money... It'll be clear after next quarterly report.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    ^ Top  
  13. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    jews...

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. HarveyBirdman Scholar

HarveyBirdman
    Not worth it. I don't want that trash on my computer for one second.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Since mu avatar changed to jew i get twice the hate.
    Coincidence ? I think not.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. sullynathan Magister

sullynathan
    holy shit infinitron, you're the only one that posted in the last page

^ Top  
  17. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    6 millions wasn't enough

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Fishy Educated

Fishy
    Just found out the outcry about the new 30-day rule on Steam game page. Some battles you just can't win. One day Steam is a horrible monopolistic platform that costs too much for useless services and where new games are invisible and can't be promoted, the next they're bullies for taking away an apparently essential marketing tool... Reminds me of the great floodgates opening when Valve caved in after indies went up in arms against unacceptable curation, only to end up being blamed for games having too much competition on the store.

It's pretty insightful to see the complaints coming from itch.io users though. Considering itch allows a free choice of cut down to 0% should one wish to, it goes a long way to show how much of a red herring it actually is. It's all about visibility and marketing. This is what they still crave from Steam, and this is the major benefit of the EGS: very very little competition for minds on a highly curated store.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fishy Educated

Fishy
    Rocket League (now Epic property) no longer regionally priced in a few regions on Steam. Competition already driving prices down!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • incline incline x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    in a digital world, features have to act along our laziness.
    remorseless pirate here.
    i avoided steam for years, it was completely useless to me, i wanted and still want my physical object when i give money away for it, if i don't own money anymore i demand to be owning something else in exchange, play.com got rich with my orders.
    my first purchase on steam has been the x-com package, because
    1) i could download it faster than i could find the floppies
    2) it worked out of the (virtual) box, without tinkering with dosbox
    3) it was updated
    4) it was hella cheap
    all those reasons went along with laziness.
    during the later years i also bought a lot during the 80-90% sales, 1-5 euros for a game was cheap enough to convince me to forfeit my preciousssss box. bundles helped too. also workshop, once properly fixed long, long later, has been a valuable commodity.

times are a changin', it'd take me several days, even a whole week in special cases (like middle earth shadow of war. nigga please, 100 gb? are you nuts?), to download a game, point 1 is out. 99% of the sold stuff barely works, needing months of patches, point 2 is out. it doesn't matter, i must wait for updates, i'm not gaining any time here, point 3 is out. sales aren't as good as they were, games which once went down to 20% price after 6-10 months now are still full price after years, so point 4 is out.
    and then, on top of all this, i have to put up with a gigantinc plethora of clients and launchers, each and every one of them a potential security breach, an annoyance, a weight on ram and cpu, a reason to be worried.
    i see absolutely no reason to keep following these trends, i rather stopped buying altogether.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. passerby Savant

passerby
    1) Like downloading from a torrent would be any faster.
    2) and 3) Pirates have to wait for a new crack to get patches.
    4) They've figured out that they can actually make more money by letting some poorfags go, instead of devaluing their games too fast.

All points are dealt with on Epic no worse than on Steam. If anything Epic provides exclusive indies with proffessional QA teams for free, because it doesn't want buggy games as their exclusives, so point 2) is actually better.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. TheHeroOfTime Arcane

TheHeroOfTime
    Why i'm Infinitron now

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Rinslin Merwind Savant

Rinslin Merwind
    Everyone is Infinitron now.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Release your inner jew!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Will China steal your bank account?

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)