Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    [​IMG]

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    Sure, Valve could run their company at break-even, they could even run it at a loss for absolutely no reason if they wanted to. Valve can do a lot of things. That's not what earning means though.
    Also you have to be really naïve (or dishonest) if you think Epic is able to offer all those free games and break-even on 12%, and aren't just loss-leading by taking advantage of their massive Fortnite coffers.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    Or they simply can reduce the % revenue for all games instead of just games that sell 500k+. Do they really need 30% from games that sell 10k units? It would be barely relevant for Valve, but a huge thing for small developers.

Not relevant for consumers. Recently Amazon released their subsidized Prime service in my country and it's a much better deal the Netflix.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    Relevant enough for them to not change it, as it seems. Also, not relevant for consumers. :^)

As long as you realize that it's unsustainable in the long run then that's fine.

^ Top  
  5. Fishy Educated

Fishy
    With apologies in advance for the stupid question, what does the Steam LGBTQ themed sale has to do with the discussion?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    He's pointing out that blatant homophobes would rather use Steam with an LGBTQ themed sale than use Epic's featureless tencent store.
    Powerful.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. The Decline Arcane

The Decline
    Seems like a plus on Steam's part. They provided a list of homo games for you to put on ignore.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Drakron Arcane

Drakron
    Not really.
    There are Winter Wolves titles there and those are ... well BioWare games as they have dating sims mechanics and because they are BioWare games they have same sex options, basically they dumped games that had similar things as well High School Romance that I think its a VN were the protagonist is male but forced to attend a all-girls school.

^ Top  
  9. Wyatt_Derp Learned

Wyatt_Derp
    Show Spoiler

Huh. For a second I coulda' swore that was the GOG home page.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. normie Scholar Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    I'm confident Gabe will dedicate a whole sale holiday event for people like me who reject jumped up aberrants on principle and recognise them for the vectors of disease and dysfunction that they are

we could have another Steam Grand Prix but with team normie vs team faggot - the signalling would get hot and heavy in the west, but team normie would have the blessings of Emperor of Jade, Xi Jinping! buy games and exchange tokens for all the pages of "Population Density and Social Pathology" by John Bumpass Calhoun, collect them all and learn about the concept of the "behavioral sink"!

on the last day, win or lose, Gabe, who'd obviously be the patron of team normie, would then thank troons for volunteering to get out of the gene pool and do a special dedication to all the parents who course correct and make the decision for their children!
    STEAM! STEAM! STEAM! STEAM! STEAM! :bounce:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    There's a strong "anti-SJW" contingent here for whom that's a point unto itself, somehow.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd

If understand correctly Fishy it shows the two pages from what I assume is a US based webpage and what happens if you view the same page but in China.

In other words, China bans homosexual imagery in that page which shows how wrong people are who rail against free speech. Because it impedes on the very rights they are trying to protect and proselytize.

^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    That would be a good point to make and I would apologize for my assumption, but I only see one image?

Epic turning China cuck is definitely a concern, despite Sweeney's insistence otherwise.

^ Top  
  14. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Oops, I confused the this with the Blizzard thread. In retrospect, I guess the point was that Epic has lgbt sales or whatever. Personally, I find RPGMAKER game sales much more offensive.

Anyhow, here’s the screenshot I was referring to (see below). Although, it’d be interesting if someone made a comparison between the US and the China EPIC websites.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Wyatt_Derp Learned

Wyatt_Derp
    So lesson to gamers is this - You can have sweat shops, death camps, spy on consumers, and dump a billion gallons of toxic sludge into the ocean. But you better provide us with our fag entertainment or we're protesting!

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I just wanted to play videogames.

*grabs bayonet and jumps at chinese commando*

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Pretty embarrassing if you log in to the sale page and don't see most of those on ignore already...

Maybe I should make a rainbow game. The bar seems pretty low.

^ Top  
  18. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Still trying to make it about "muh features" after you clearly admitted that people would rather pirate than buy on anything that's not Steam.

Hard to let go of Gaben's dick from your mouth.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    I don't understand the argument. Are the two things mutually exclusive?

^ Top  
  20. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    He's feeling dem rads

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I heard Kindred Spirits is ok vn. Everything else in this list is just low effort gaijin garbage i woldn't touch even for free. Epic store material.

^ Top  
  22. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Explain why everyone despite having ridiculously different models of operation have the same cut.
    The answer: You can't.

30% cut made sense when physical stores asked for ~50%.
    Since they are going way of dodo now 30% if new standard and competition looks for upseting that standard.

• /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. normie Scholar Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    operating on tencent/fortnite bux, payouts for exclusives, operating at a loss, leaking and selling userdata and not having a shopping cart?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    10 reasons why
    is a good thing!

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    I know capitalism thing is awesome. Company reinvests profits from one thing into another hoping they will succeed. Good goy fight for multibilion $ companies for their right to get 30% instead of less.

Also it is kind of hilarious that physical stores run now 30% cut despite hiring shitload of people, care for distribution, marketing and 1000 other things while digital stores have none of that and yet cut 30% too.

And the shopping cart argument is the best. In era of digital goods and 1click purchases you apparently need shopping cart.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)