Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Epic sucks, but for the first time I am tempted to pick up some games there due to that 10 usd coupon off. Some games for 5 bucks ain't bad.

They did a similar $10 off everything sale in the Summer and I got the cheap shit I'd want there like Operencia and Close to the Sun (which sucked, FYI). Only thing I'm tempted by this time is The Sinking City but it's still $35 somehow. Meh.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Buying a 15 buck game with the 10 buck coupon for 5 buck actually takes money away from Epic, funnily enough. They lose money on every sale.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm not buying any games no matter the platform cause I already have over 300 games in my backlog.
Same there. But I'd like to ask fantadomat what is so retarded about that post, because he gave it that rating.
Biuying 300 games and not playing them is retarded. Also having 300 blacklog just means that you just larp as rpg player when you don't play games in reality. Saying that you have a dozen or so games on your backlog is normal,bragging about having 300 on a niche game forum is retarded.

Viata

Arcane
I'm jealous of that guy's backlog. I only play games on December-February, so the rest of the year I just put games on my backlog to play then when I can, yet, my backlog is so small because hardly a good game is released every year and I'm forced to replay old games so I have something to play. :negative:

Venser

Erudite
Biuying 300 games and not playing them is retarded. Also having 300 blacklog just means that you just larp as rpg player when you don't play games in reality. Saying that you have a dozen or so games on your backlog is normal,bragging about having 300 on a niche game forum is retarded.

I play Quake and Starcraft regularly and I fit in other games when I have time but I work every single day so it's not easy. The backlog is actually probably closer to 400 but it was accumulated through time mostly for free through giveaways or cheap bundles I used to buy. On the Epic Store alone I got 28 games and I didn't buy any of them. And there are some good games among those and I do plan to get to them eventually.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

I play Quake and Starcraft regularly and I fit in other games when I have time but I work every single day so it's not easy. The backlog is actually probably closer to 400 but it was accumulated through time mostly for free through giveaways or cheap bundles I used to buy. On the Epic Store alone I got 28 games and I didn't buy any of them. And there are some good games among those and I do plan to get to them eventually.
Yeah I feel you, it's easier to play a game that you can get a 'full' experience with in less than an hour when you are working everyday rather than an rpg where it feels like you need at least 3 hours to get the same 'full' experience.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I only really like three genres... RPG, FPS, Point and Click Adventure... so I buy pretty much anything decent in those genres during sales. I complete most of the first two genres too, it just takes me forever because I go through periods where I don't play games at all.

the_shadow

Arcane
I'm not buying any games no matter the platform cause I already have over 300 games in my backlog.
Same there. But I'd like to ask fantadomat what is so retarded about that post, because he gave it that rating.

He wasn't bragging, and to me he's acknowledging he went overboard, which is why he stopped.

I've fallen into the same trap. The thing is that there are so many good games you can access today, and you get a discount/bundle that often makes them cost about as much as a couple of Starbucks coffees. $5 or less for tens (possible 100s) of hours of entertainment is pretty good. The thought of how much enjoyment you might get from the game goes through your head when you buy it, and discounts create a sense of urgency. Of course it's not altogether rational if you've got 50 other games you haven't played, and work full time, but I've come to realize I'm as easily suckered as the normies. And I'm a cheapskate who tries to avoid spending money. Now at least I understand how women can spend so much money on dozens of shoes that they might only wear once before putting them away in the back of the cupboard to collect dust.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I've fallen into the same trap. The thing is that there are so many good games you can access today, and you get a discount/bundle that often makes them cost about as much as a couple of Starbucks coffees. $5 or less for tens (possible 100s) of hours of entertainment is pretty good. The thought of how much enjoyment you might get from the game goes through your head when you buy it, and discounts create a sense of urgency. Of course it's not altogether rational if you've got 50 other games you haven't played, and work full time, but I've come to realize I'm as easily suckered as the normies.

I didn't write it well above, but this is what I mean about sticking to three genres I really enjoy. It limits how much other dumb shit I buy, and makes me stick to things I actually want to play. I think a lot of people buy anything "good" in sales, even if it's a genre or style they aren't really in love with, which leads to way more backlog than anyone can handle.

Puukko

Arcane
Hm, shame I missed out on Into the Breach, but I'm sure at least one of the upcoming ten games will be interesting.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's both amazing and sad that out of all games that Epic has given away, Celeste and Into the Breach are the only games that I don't already own.

I need to stop buying shit :negative:

Silentstorm

Learned
Somehow, all games i wouldbe interested in that Epic gave for free i had already bought aside from Subnautica.

On the one hand, i did enjoy some of those games like Celeste, Into The Breach and Enter The Gungeon and got to actually support the developers, on the other hand...i could have legally gotten those games for free if i had just waited so fuck me i guess.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Unconfirmed list of the upcoming "free" games. Not in order as Ape Out is obviously next. Probably not real, but maybe?

Hello Neighbor
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
TowerFall Ascension
The Talos Principle
Ape out
TABS: Totally Accurate Battle Simulator
Hob
Farming Simulator 19
Pyre
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

A bunch of trash besides Kingdom Come which you should buy on GOG instead. Epic's obviously all about supporting the devs so you shouldn't get it for free.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A bunch of trash besides Kingdom Come which you should buy on GOG instead. Epic's obviously all about supporting the devs so you shouldn't get it for free.

Since Epic surely pays them, redeeming it helps the devs too. I already own it on GOG but why not redeem it and send them a tiny bit of cash? That's how I think of it. You never even have to ever pay for a game on Epic to do it.

Silentstorm

Learned
Towerfall Ascension is a great multiplayer game though, Talos Principle is a fine puzzle game, and Pyre was...kinda okay, the games aren't that bad honestly.

Also, no way in hell Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair will be given for free, no fucking way, the game came out this very year to good reviews TWO MONTHS AGO, unless you mean the original more hated game released a few years ago that can be described as Banjo with less personality, humor and a world that is less fun to interact with and explore, in which case, yeah, i could see it being given for free, Impossible Lair though, no way, it's way too recent.

Though i have to admit i haven't played any of the games, just what i heard, and according to people whose taste i trust, Impossible Lair is pretty much the "Donkey Kong Country" spin-off and much like the original Yooka-Laylee, it's a direct copy with a lot less charm and fun to it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You shouldn't trust me because I buy a bunch of platformers for nostalgia reasons and then barely play them, but I thought Yooka-Laylee 2D was pretty solid. Played it longer than I play most. Yes it is very, VERY Donkey Kong Country.

Anyway the hint for tomorrow's freebie is a snowy mountain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom