Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Watch steamfags saying that features don't really matter.
Steamfags know that features matter. That's why the Epic store is a load of crap, because it doesn't have basic features, which had already been standardised by Steam. And this roadmap shows that they will need almost a year to get up to speed. IF they can pull this off at all.

Cromwell

Arcane
Steamfags know that features matter. That's why the Epic store is a load of crap, because it doesn't have basic features, which had already been standardised by Steam. And this roadmap shows that they will need almost a year to get up to speed. IF they can pull this off at all.

So you get features other shops already have a year later, get data mined, get your games "stolen" right from under your nose, get told its cool that you finally can pay the same so big publishers get more money. I especially cant get over the publisher thing, I swear to fuck thats the first store I have ever seen that instead of at least trying to pander to their consumers makes consuming for them actively worse and tells them its a good thing that the corp gets all the money. Somehow they still find retards defending this shit and calling me a steamtard for not liking to get fucked over.

J1M

Arcane
Is it coming to the PC or is it coming to Windows 10?
Probably windows 7 as well. Microsoft recently announced DirectX 12 support for win7 under the guise of improving frame rates for wow players. But it's likely that work was done for the Halo Collection.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So you get features other shops already have a year later, get data mined, get your games "stolen" right from under your nose, get told its cool that you finally can pay the same so big publishers get more money. I especially cant get over the publisher thing, I swear to fuck thats the first store I have ever seen that instead of at least trying to pander to their consumers makes consuming for them actively worse and tells them its a good thing that the corp gets all the money. Somehow they still find retards defending this shit and calling me a steamtard for not liking to get fucked over.

B-but think of the competition against Steam's monopoly! It's healthy for the market!!

Epic goes and buys exclusive rights for a game that would have come out on both Steam and GoG.

It's competition! It's good for the market! Breaking the Steam monopoly!!!!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
B-but think of the competition against Steam's monopoly! It's healthy for the market!!

Epic goes and buys exclusive rights for a game that would have come out on both Steam and GoG.

The existence of a competitor is good for the market and only people who are severely retarded or even worse, Steam fanboys, don't see it.

That doesn't mean every single thing Epic does should be defended. Just as Steam being an effective monopoly is bad but not everything Valve in their dominant position does is evil. So let's talk like responsible prestigious Codex adults and not strawman shit all over the thread.

(lol I know)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Ah, it's all about features. So I assume you'll start liking Epic as soon as they have all the features Steam does right?

Right?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He did mention GOG, as in other stores than Steam. This is what EPIC defenders come back to everytime, calling everyone against it Steamtards when they clearly mention other stores.

And there still is no competition, between EPIC and OTHER STORES. Since they buy out the right to sell.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ah, it's all about features. So I assume you'll start liking Epic as soon as they have all the features Steam does right?

Right?
No, I was just replying to Perkel's idea of Steam users not caring about features.
I will like Epic as soon as it stops buying up devs with exclusivity deals. For me that is the dealbreaker. Lack of features is a bummer, but that is the least of my problems.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Competition is good, but Epic don't compete with Steam. They are afraid of competition, so they just throw money trying to make exclusive deals and avoid actual confrontation, because Epic has nothing else to offer to customers.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Competition is good, but Epic don't compete with Steam. They are afraid of competition, so they just throw money trying to make exclusive deals and avoid actual confrontation, because Epic has nothing else to offer to customers.

Lol that's actually genuinely retarded :lol: Dude are you twelve or what?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He did mention GOG, as in other stores than Steam. This is what EPIC defenders come back to everytime, calling everyone against it Steamtards when they clearly mention other stores.

And there still is no competition, between EPIC and OTHER STORES. Since they buy out the right to sell.

I've mentioned GoG in pretty much every single post I made in this discussion, but for some reason the Chinese Spyware Fanboys are mostly ignoring that.

No, Epic is the FIRST store to offer any real competition to Steam and buying up exclusive rights is the ONLY WAY they can establish themselves hurr durr

Cromwell

Arcane
Lol that's actually genuinely retarded :lol: Dude are you twelve or what?

From a consumer standpoint its not retarded. Competition is if seller a and seller b compete for my money for a product. They normally give me various incentives to buy from them instead of the other which mostly includes discounts or additional bonusses. Epic does not, So what they did was simple, instead of giving me incentives they tried to force me to buy from them (which steam doesnt do, I use it but dont always buy from it).

So now mongoloids like you think this is competition because they "outbid" steam for exclusive rights or some such nonsense but for me as a consumer that doesnt matter because what I want out of competition and the reason "competition is good" is even a thing is the fact that it works out in favour of the consumer as in "more choices, cheaper products". Its the same as if you have three gas stations that talk to each other regarding prices, they all come out the same and I as a consumer couldnt give less of a fuck who I buy from, its just that I need gas, I dont need metro exodus or phoenix poit (or could pirate them).

In the best case I dont care where I buy from because its all the same to me, in epics case they have less to offer than steam, is 40% in the hands of filthy chinks, same prices as steam and actively pissed me off with their practices. I may not be an expert in economics but to me it seems what they did and what they offer in combinatioon with exclusive deals is only a good idea if people need what you have or are all retarded. Since piracy is a thing the need part is moot, luckily they have people like you. Please use more smilies.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've mentioned GoG in pretty much every single post I made in this discussion, but for some reason the Chinese Spyware Fanboys are mostly ignoring that.

No, Epic is the FIRST store to offer any real competition to Steam and buying up exclusive rights is the ONLY WAY they can establish themselves hurr durr

We, the Chinese Spyware Fanboys, have said like 100x times GOG isn't any real competition to Steam since the overlap in the non-indie market is microscopic. I think we've mentioned it twice just today. So much for ignoring arguments.

And second...yeah. For ANYONE to carve out a piece of the Steam pie for themselves, going with exclusives is PROBABLY the only way. Steam has a gigantic data and consumer lock-in advantage and they would be able to match every other deal any competitor would come up with. When Microsoft launched Xbox as a competitor to PS they "bribed" Bizzare Creations and Tecmo to launch Gotham Racing and Dead or Alive 3 as Xbox exclusives. And Sony soon followed suit (as Valve probably will too if Epic starts eating too much of their pie; I'll enjoy Steamtards' reaction to that).

To be clear, as a consumer I hate exclusives. Without exclusives I could play Demon's Souls and Bloodborne on my PC. But I do understand it. If I was Epic CEO (or Microsoft CEO back in the day) I would see exclusives as the most effective competitive weapon (if not the only one) too.

Mark Richard

Arcane

Generally people who say that aren't referring to immediate positive results. Individually there's nothing beneficial to consumers in these acts of game poaching, but over time they contribute towards establishing the Epic store as a viable platform. When the Epic Store is actually in a position to compete with Steam, then we may see some benefits in the form of competitive pricing, store features, refund policies, etc. But how to get to that stage? Building trust through good service takes years, and Epic only has a small window of opportunity to capitalise on the Fortnite phenomenon before the playerbase moves on to the next big thing. Hence the poaching.

At least, that's what I keep telling myself while curled up in the fetal position at the news of another game going exclusive. I tend not to blame Epic so much as the devs/pubs who're committing to exclusivity regardless of the circumstances (two weeks from release, or a crowfunded project). It's been a real eye-opener seeing how little they think of us.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Generally people who say that aren't referring to immediate positive results. Individually there's nothing beneficial to consumers in these acts of game poaching, but over time they contribute towards establishing the Epic store as a viable platform. When the Epic Store is actually in a position to compete with Steam, then we may see some benefits in the form of competitive pricing, store features, refund policies, etc. But how to get to that stage? Building trust through good service takes years, and Epic only has a small window of opportunity to capitalise on the Fortnite phenomenon before the playerbase moves on to the next big thing. Hence the poaching.

That's the most intelligent post on this topic on the entire Codex. Reason and cold logic against angst, edgelordism and hurrr feels.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

At least, that's what I keep telling myself while curled up in the fetal position at the news of another game going exclusive. I tend not to blame Epic so much as the devs/pubs who're committing to exclusivity regardless of the circumstances (two weeks from release, or a crowfunded project). It's been a real eye-opener seeing how little they think of us.
If Epic manages to carve a sizable chunk of the market with exclusive deals, why would it ever stop doing what worked so well and start worrying about features and refund policies? In fact, it exclusive deals prove to be effective, you can expect Valve and GOG doing the same shit and outbidding each other offering developers and publishers guaranteed payments, which would lead to decline in quality because said developers and publishers would no longer rely on customers to make a living but on the digital stores acting as giant publishers and we all know how well it worked out the last time.

Cromwell

Arcane
They also cant stop doing exclusive deals easily. Someone talked about console exclusives which is a stupid comparision because in this case you buy hardware for 400 euro or more to play your exclusive after which you stay with the console because you wouldnt want to pay the price of admission again (in this generation) so console exclusives tend to bind the consumer to your brand and doesnt need that much exclusives after one or two high profile Games. They also have no prestige effect like say apple has uild up that binds consumers to them because they are a shitty store half ruled by a chinese company. So even after establishing themselves they are just "another thing that is not steam" even if they implement all things steam already has.

So the only way to go forward is by either beating steam with better prices (which they wont do or they would have already done it) or staying on the excöusive way which is as shit then as it is now, which leads to what VD said which is even more shit.

The Bottomline is simple, experience taught us (so much for cold logic and blabla) that things tend to get shittier for the consumer as time goes on so if epic even starts out by fucking the consumer with no positive like it is it will lead to the consumer getting royally fucked if this goes on.

cosmicray

Savant
Indeed. Epic is Steam's competition on developers' side. I wonder when they start bribing consumers.

J1M

Arcane
This conversation is becoming stale. People are repeating themselves.

Hypothetical question: If Epic's Store went DRM-free like GOG, would any of you change your mind about it or prefer it to Steam? Is it enough of a feature to change your preferred platform?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I dunno why you guys are mad.

Epic gives developers money to make impatient people pay for the right to betatest the game for a year before the inevitable Steam and GOG release.

In the end you get a superior and more polished product. Right, right?

:troll:

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Were it DRM-free, there is no "change platform" argument. You treat it like store to buy and download installer. And yes, DRM-free is better than Steam any day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom