Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Nah, that one really was due to AAA publishers pulling back from Steam, at least that's likely the main reason.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Yes, they should've hit the ground running with all the standard features, not add them in the course of this year.

That said our point is the very existence of competition is great, will produce benefits that wouldn't exist on a near-monopoly market and the exclusive BS is hardly something anyone likes but it's a small price to pay, seeing as launchers, unlike consoles, are free. It's not a hard point to see but somehow people are so emotional about this shit they keep missing it.

• retadred retadred x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    These things were a long time coming. EA left, Activision left, and finally Bethesda left (selling Fallout 76 on their own and expressing doubt (aka a veiled message) whether or not they'd sell their future titles on Steam. Steam is losing hundreds of millions by not selling the AAA titles which is a much bigger problem for them than Gollop's little game.

The fact that Steam didn't do it for everyone else (games that sell under a million copies) tells you that Steam still dominates that market and isn't worried about competition.

If memory serves me right, it was the other way around. Unity started gaining popularity like crazy, which threatened Unreal and forced them to cut the rates to make it more accessible.

There's no argument that IF Epic becomes a successful store, it WILL force Steam to cut the rates for everyone else not just the AAA boys. It will be a good thing and everyone will benefit from it. The problem is that Epic went a very retarded way about it and the original manifesto underlines the cluelessness:

This led to a slew of valuable insights that Galyonkin says directly informed the Epic store’s feature set. For instance, forums and other social media-like tools—a cornerstone of Steam—won’t be part of the package. Galyonkin said that this is because “not a single developer I talked to wanted forums” and “the toxicity it brings,” preferring to interact with communities on their own terms on platforms like Reddit and Discord instead.​

Hmm... what could possibly go wrong...

https://www.pcgamer.com/epic-games-store-users-have-been-turning-to-steam-for-subnautica-support/

Epic Games Store users have been turning to Steam for Subnautica support
    With no forums, they're heading back to Steam for help.

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Epic Humble Bundle when?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I don't recall anyone saying that competition isn't great or that it doesn't produce benefits. My point is that so far Epic approached it the wrong way that shows lack of understanding of the market. The problem isn't that they didn't add the forums and reviews right away. The problem is that they were convinced these things weren't necessary because developers bitched about them. It shows the lack of vision and strategy. If all they can do (at best) is to copy Steam's features that players have become accustomed to, instead of thinking of features Steam doesn't have yet to lure in new players, then nothing good will come out of it.

I know you don't like Steam and want more competition which is fine, but you can't tell me with a straight face that you read all that bullshit about toxic forums and think:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I do agree with all that. I said that from day one, at least since the Metro deal blew up. The entire Epic enterprise seems incredibly half-assed, undercooked and poorly thought out. Looks like a sudden fit of panic more than anything else.

That said VAST majority of anti-Epic Codexers seems to resent not the execution but the very fact that competition comes with a price (a tiny one in this case). I thought you were one of those.

• FAKE NEWS x 4
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Nah i think they perfectly know the market here.

1. People don't give a shit about grandstanding when their $ is on the line or their favorite game.
    2. Only way to get hard into market and carve away decent amount of chunk from Steam is to do what exactly they are doing.
    3. They perfectly know that all naysayers today have short memory and they won't give a flying fun in a year time when they will have most of features which they stated on trello.

Steam is best example of that. Velve forced everyone on their 56k modem to install piece of shit DRM called Steam for Half Life 2 that barely fucking worked and you couldn't even play it offline at the time which was major pain in ass.

Because they knew "gamers" are grandstanding from no value position.

I don't see how it is not accurate. Health is overall competition on PC digital store market. What Epic is doing is colonoscopy.

And there are a lot of butthurt people.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Good to know 'cause for a second there I was worried.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    • Funny Funny x 10
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    What are you talking about? Rocket League has cross-platform play as probably some other games. What Epic has to do with it?
    What would be really cool is cross-store friends/social communities. But probably no one interested in that. If Epic is gonna do that, then good for them.

No, they don't. To (re)install the game you need their client/account and online connection. DRM-free doesn't require shit. You get the installer(physical or digital) and install the game on your own terms.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Exactly. Launcher-independent installer, can be installed offline, played offline, ported to any computer you own by simply moving the installer from one hard disk to another, can be stored forever on an external HDD or cloud storage so even if the storefront ever goes down the game will still be installable and will work without any issues.

GoG is the only store that does this.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Night Goat The Immovable Autism Patron No Fun Allowed

Night Goat
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    Competition is supposed to mean more choices for the consumers. And I'm choosing to continue using the service that has features I like and (probably) isn't a Chinese botnet. Do Epicfags really think they can get people to use a service that offers nothing but negatives in comparison to its competitor, just because it's "competition"?

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Can we stop with this "competition is always good for the client" anyway? First of all, repeating kindergarten-level truisms doesn't make anyone look smart and there are plenty of scenarios where it doesn't work like that. But the main point is: being 100% open is one of PCs biggest advantages. It is something that PCs always had and other platforms for pleb didn't.

Anyone who wants to deny you this advantage is an enemy.

Anyone who doesn't immediately understand it is a dumbfuck.

There is a lot of stuff that making precedence for porting console subhumanity to PC can bring. And none of it is pretty.

• Brofist Brofist x 21
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Well, that didn't take long.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Paul_cz Arcane

Paul_cz
    Did anyone here actually buy anything on epic fail store yet? I find it strange that they have yet to brag about any sales numbers.

Like, to me it seems that the general attitude of PC gamers towards epic is extremely negative (reddit, retardera, gaf..).
    When Epic makes a game exclusive, gamer has four choices:

- buy it on epic store and pay money for shitty service (and supporting exclusivity bullshit)
    - torrent it and get also shitty service, for free
    - wait until exclusivity ends and get it on GOG or Steam or developer's website
    - ignore the game entirely

I really wonder how many people are going to pick option one. I know I won't.

And yes yes I know you will say "silent majority is not posting on forums" and we vocal gamers are tiny minority.
    Well Mr. Galyonkin has few words about that:

https://galyonk.in/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Except this is not competition. It's the exact opposite. As VD and others have expressed these developers could have listed the games on both Steam and Epic but offered a lower price via Epic. They don't. This is not about competition and all about developers pocketing more money for themselves. Give it a rest.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    I only care about competition that benefits me, a month ago i bought a car. At first i visted 2 dealerships that where close to each other (lets call them A) and got some offers. Visited both twice and it felt like those
    2 didnt actually want to compete with each other 50€ vs some expensive pen (LOL) on a new car.... Drove to a third dealer (B) and got an offer, ofc both A's where willing to compete with him, in the end i stayed with B because i got the same price but he added a 400€ Gas/petrol card...

The thing is i would probably even stayed with B if i had to pay 100€ more there just because it seemed more friendly & A's unwillingness to compete.

In short: Theres more to things than just price and epic fails on all fronts price included, Metro is 10$ cheaper here in retail without being on sale for fucks sake...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Seboist Arcane Patron

Seboist
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Not buying jack on Epic's store no matter how many bribed exclusives they get, and will be waiting for their steam releases, and as a long time Falcom fan, I can assure them that I'm quite patient.

• Salute Salute x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Well, it's pretty easy considering that there is zero interesting games in their store.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Belegarsson Savant Patron

Belegarsson
    For real though, I went from posting Metro Exodus trailers to pirating it, played for 2 hours then completely forgot about it.
    Epic Store, best time and money saver since 2019 :positive:

• Balanced x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    https://www.thegamer.com/epic-boss-says-developers-win-game-store-wars-not-consumers/

Here is an interesting article.

• Old Old x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Well, Operencia, the Hungarian turn-based blobber, is coming out later this month. It will be the first Codex-relevant Epic-exclusive release.

• Brofist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • what? x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    Man its awesome to be a pirate again, convenience alone made me stop being one....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Steam attracts more players because it is a monopoly.

If players had to resort to different platforms to buy their PC games, their lives would be more complicated and the developers would sell less games.

Monopolies exist due to one reason, and one reason only: because they are more effective in providing better services than the competition.

The “monopolies are evil” butthurt is hilarious shit; typical communist propaganda that pretends to advocate consumers’ interests when it is actively directing their envy and resentment against the most successful service providers under false pretenses.

If you are against steam because it is the most successful digital distribution platform ever developed, you are jealous resented cuck. The Besters and moraes of this world can take their resented anti-market and anti-consumer’s interests rhetoric and shove it. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters are efficient service providers.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. normie Learned Zionist Agent

normie
    monopolies are good when they are good and bad when they're bad, it depends on the realm it's monopolising, who is in charge of it and in whose interest it's run; putting the philosophy before the ends and results is putting the cart before the horse

you're the other side of the same butthurt coin

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)