Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Codex Year of the Donut
A AAA game with massive marketing and exposure selling 2.5 times more, in a similar time period (which means at launch), then a mid tier game with no marketing sounds like a flop to me.
It is even worse.The devs are referencing last light original,not redux.
And a big chunk of last light sales were physical,so the 2.5 times gets even lower.
They are lucky if they even sold 1/3 of the redux numbers.

Lots of assumption hoops you guys are going through here to justify Steam fanboy wanking. Honestly if it WERE true that you HAD to be on Steam to succeed it would be even more reason for some competition to be desperately needed.
No concrete sales figures = flop

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A AAA game with massive marketing and exposure selling 2.5 times more, in a similar time period (which means at launch), then a mid tier game with no marketing sounds like a flop to me.
It is even worse.The devs are referencing last light original,not redux.
And a big chunk of last light sales were physical,so the 2.5 times gets even lower.
They are lucky if they even sold 1/3 of the redux numbers.

Lots of assumption hoops you guys are going through here to justify Steam fanboy wanking. Honestly if it WERE true that you HAD to be on Steam to succeed it would be even more reason for some competition to be desperately needed.

It is not true that you need to be on Steam to succeed, as seen from other platforms like Origin and Battlenet.

But Steam offers access to huge number of customers, more then any other platform which greatly increases your chances of success, it doesnt guarantee it.

Competition is welcomed, exclusivity is not especially in a way that Epic is doing it. If Epic was offering good service and low prices I would champion it, as it is right now it only hurts players. So why the fuck would I praise something that actually works against me and my hobby.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Competition is welcomed, exclusivity is not especially in a way that Epic is doing it. If Epic was offering good service and low prices I would champion it, as it is right now it only hurts players. So why the fuck would I praise something that actually works against me and my hobby.

I'm not really praising anything, more saying it's not a big fucking deal. But if there's more competition in the long run, and less domination by Steam (which has a TON of exclusives no one complains about) then I think that's good for consumers in the long run. It'd be much better if people flocked to GOG for various reasons, but ho hey no one cares about consumer rights so...

Codex Year of the Donut

I'm not really praising anything, more saying it's not a big fucking deal. But if there's more competition in the long run, and less domination by Steam (which has a TON of exclusives no one complains about) then I think that's good for consumers in the long run. It'd be much better if people flocked to GOG for various reasons, but ho hey no one cares about consumer rights so...
What percentage of Steam exclusives are simply because it's too difficult to get on other storefronts?
Case in point: Grimoire denied by GOG.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What percentage of Steam exclusives are simply because it's too difficult to get on other storefronts?

Yeah I'm sure Skyrim is Steamworks because no one else wanted to sell it. Brilliant thought there.

Now is the part where you tell me 20 stores sell Skyrim, which is true, but it's all Steam. I have to use Steam to play it no matter what. So the difference is fuck all really. I'm sure Epic will sell keys eventually once they add a fucking shopping cart. The point is: I don't want all games running through Steam, or a vast majority of them. I think that's bad for consumers.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So you can't then. Don't go around trying to imply some form of hypocrisy with Steam when the two situations are not similar.

They're "not similar" by your bullshit metric that doesn't matter at all. The point is about having to go through Steam to play hundreds of games, because there's no alternative. The fact they didn't pay for that but got it through features and popularity matters fuck all when the concern is about one company having too much power and control. I see your sentiments repeated all the time though... Steam are the "good guys" so they can rule your PC and it's fine. It's a baffling perspective to me, sorry. I don't like any one company having that kind of power. If Epic takes over to the extent Steam has the last decade I'll say the same thing about them.

Ideally everything would be on every client and I could buy it all on GOG, but it's not a perfect world. With the options I've got, I'll take more competition for Steam over not.

They're "not similar" by your bullshit metric that doesn't matter at all. The point is about having to go through Steam to play hundreds of games, because there's no alternative.

That has nothing to do with Epic paying for exclusivity. If games came out for multiple stores no one would complain.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That has nothing to do with Epic paying for exclusivity. If games came out for multiple stores no one would complain.

So this is all about you wanting Epic to sell cheap Russian keys, I take it? I'm sure that'll happen if you give it time. If you read through the arguments on here though, that is FAR from everyone's problem with it.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
> pretends it's not big deal
> obnoxiously trying to convince everybody "how this deal is not big"
> spend hours in tread (which was created for people to butthurt in peace, not for corporate shills btw) trying to convince that people shouldn't express their negative emotions, because it's somehow bad.

K.

To shills and degenerates who spend their personal time while defending EGS: How about you leave normal people alone and enjoy your "not so bad store" without trying to convince others to do that? I understand why people who don't like store and why they trying to convince others to join. But why you defend a powerful corporation, which have in their pocket whole power of Chinese media industry? You can relax and spend your time on forums of EGS... Oh, wait, they don't exist and your "I should belong to the group" instinct lead you on other forums to brainwash others into using a shitty store that doesn't have cart, but have fucking roadmap. You feelings hurt when your mental condition does not have a support on Codex and you spend days in defense of people that you doesn't personally know, also these people from company known for open hostility to average people.

I always trying to avoid this stupid argument, but this thread keeping popping up every day(thanks to EGS activists), so... How about EGS activist will leave all together on Facebook/twitter and create your own group called "EGS Codex"? It's family friendly platforms and anger from normal Codexers will not reach your weak mind and you can watch how developers suck dick of Tim Swine and call their customers as problem that require "ultimate solutions".

I know, this argument is stupid as hell, but if there will be no solution - this thread with grow with years and half of it's pages will be a mumbling of EGS zombies, who repeat same empty arguments and mumbling nonsense.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why is it better if you have to use several clients, than to have all your games on Steam?

I feel like this is a question where if you have to ask it you'll never understand why, so I dunno what to tell ya. Like I said above, one company having total control is bad, but you don't care or see that. So fine. Rinslin is doing that thing above where he assumes I'm a fan of Epic in some way (I'm not) because I think competition is good, which make me eye-roll, but he's 100% right that this is all a pointless debate I'm spending too much time on. So I'll take a break. Enjoy commiserating without interference.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now is the part where you tell me 20 stores sell Skyrim, which is true, but it's all Steam. I have to use Steam to play it no matter what. So the difference is fuck all really. I'm sure Epic will sell keys eventually once they add a fucking shopping cart. The point is: I don't want all games running through Steam, or a vast majority of them. I think that's bad for consumers.

The thing is Valve is not forcing or buying anyone to make games Steam exclusive. They offer a service that some devs use as a replacement for DRM, and they cant use GoG for that because that store is DRM free so you cant blame Valve on that.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why is it better if you have to use several clients, than to have all your games on Steam?

Or whatever client people want - which is what we would have if there was actually "competition" (something these EGS shills claim to support). Epic paying vendors not to sell on other stores is the antithesis of competition.

Cromwell

Arcane
Steam might be an old greedy hag with two much power but if I pay her she sucks me off ocassionally, if I pay Epic they suck off everyone else and my consolation price is a tweet by a journalist that paying for not getting sucked is the best feeling ever.

Tehdagah

Arcane

Or whatever client people want - which is what we would have if there was actually "competition" (something these EGS shills claim to support). Epic paying vendors not to sell on other stores is the antithesis of competition.
If only Steam lowered their % of profit.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
If only people wasn't so stupid to understand that if Steam lower their % (also applies to every store btw) of profit - it does not affect prices for games at all or quality of game, for that matter. Even if cut was fucking 0%, outcome will be still the same - almost all money will go to the publisher and only small part of cash will given to devs. If game self-published - money go to the manager and only dime left for people who actually worked on game. Prices for customers stand still or even raises under fake reasons from publisher.

I don't understand why people become so charitable out of sudden. Cash that flow in pocket of publishers should be least of their concerns.

Tehdagah

Arcane
If only people wasn't so stupid to understand that if Steam lower their % (also applies to every store btw) of profit - it does not affect prices for games at all or quality of game, for that matter. Even if cut was fucking 0%, outcome will be still the same - almost all money will go to the publisher and only small part of cash will given to devs. If game self-published - money go to the manager and only dime left for people who actually worked on game. Prices for customers stand still or even raises under fake reasons from publisher.

I don't understand why people become so charitable out of sudden. Cash that flow in pocket of publishers should be least of their concerns.
Devs are moving from Steam because 30% of cuts is too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom