Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Who gives a shit, really? I don't do D1P and have a backlog bigger than my dick(so it's huge), so by the time I might want to play their 'exclooosives' they'll be everywhere for a couple of dollars.

So much pointless autistic screeching.....

:M :M :M :M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Who gives a shit, really? I don't do D1P and have a backlog bigger than my dick(so it's huge), so by the time I might want to play their 'exclooosives' they'll be everywhere for a couple of dollars.

So much pointless autistic screeching.....

:M :M :M :M
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
11221183070024DE26C1279924695FC73368C4F2

My e-mail was registered to this "guy". Some guy/group located in Thailand. No games owned it seems though.

Totally absurd. Nice trick by EPIC to get you to register against your will and prop up the numbers.

I had this exact thing as well, same name and everything. I was sure I didn't have an Epic account before but thought it might have been a really old one I'd forgotten about. Be careful, when this happened I also had attempts to get in my old Blizzard account, my old EVE online account and a couple of others. More worryingly, they somehow managed to get a charge through Humble Bundle to subscribe me to their monthly deal. I spotted it and Humble refunded, but it was fecking weird as it shouldn't have been possible to get a payment through with the 2FA I have on the account.

Is Humble anything to do with Epic now? *tinfoil hat*

GrainWetski

Arcane
More like big quotes on phones suck. No idea how your name managed to get in there, though.

Now we've got Epic store exclusive patches. Competition sure is great.

https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-goo-is-getting-updated-and-going-free-on-the-epic-game-store/

The next free game on the Epic Games Store, as of May 2, will be World of Goo.

"The last time we built the PC version of World of Goo was ten years ago, way back in 2009. The game ran at a 4:3 aspect ratio and at a resolution of 800x600. Most computers now can't even enter that old 800x600 mode without the screen flashing or glitching. The game would also crash your computer if you had more than one monitor hooked up," World of Goo designer, artist, and composer Kyle Gabler explained.

"So over the last few months, we've rebuilt the game for Win / Mac / Linux and it should now work nicely again on everyone's modern computers. It'll run by default at a modern widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, and at whatever size you want. We also made a lot of improvements over the years for other platforms, like Nintendo Switch, so we brought over those improvements as well."

Those improvements include doubling the resolution of all graphics—800x600 does not look super-great on big, modern displays—with "high quality upscaling tools to start," and then tweaking by hand. For die-hard old-school types, an option to use the original graphics will also be available.

One thing that won't be available, unfortunately, are leaderboards. Gabler said they never worked very well anyway—"Our poor server constantly got stressed out and shut itself down"—and so they were taken offline for good a few years back. "In all recent versions of the game, including the version launching on the Epic store, we've redesigned bits of the game to accommodate this change," he said. He also pointed out that leaderboard support is offered by GooFans.com, saying that it's "a much nicer leaderboard system than we ever had."

The updated version of World of Goo will eventually be released everywhere, but the Epic Games Store will be first.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That really depends on whether Epic is getting people to use their store. The extra 18% revenue is nice, but not if you drop X number of sales. Though presumably if Epic doesn't give up (which I doubt they will) eventually more and more people will give in, making that number easier to hit.

the better percentage makes sense only and only if you can make the same number of sales , which is absolutely not happening otherwise they'd be rubbing their penises on our faces the whole day already, and it's impossible all the parties involved couldn't know this beforehand. it's all a ridiculous farce, i hope it's going to end like one, and soon.

GrainWetski

Arcane
That really depends on whether Epic is getting people to use their store. The extra 18% revenue is nice, but not if you drop X number of sales. Though presumably if Epic doesn't give up (which I doubt they will) eventually more and more people will give in, making that number easier to hit.
You don't think Epic will want to make money at some point? Sweeney might pretend they're running a charity, but they're not.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
More like big quotes on phones suck. No idea how your name managed to get in there, though.

Now we've got Epic store exclusive patches. Competition sure is great.

https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-goo-is-getting-updated-and-going-free-on-the-epic-game-store/

The next free game on the Epic Games Store, as of May 2, will be World of Goo.

"The last time we built the PC version of World of Goo was ten years ago, way back in 2009. The game ran at a 4:3 aspect ratio and at a resolution of 800x600. Most computers now can't even enter that old 800x600 mode without the screen flashing or glitching. The game would also crash your computer if you had more than one monitor hooked up," World of Goo designer, artist, and composer Kyle Gabler explained.

"So over the last few months, we've rebuilt the game for Win / Mac / Linux and it should now work nicely again on everyone's modern computers. It'll run by default at a modern widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, and at whatever size you want. We also made a lot of improvements over the years for other platforms, like Nintendo Switch, so we brought over those improvements as well."

Those improvements include doubling the resolution of all graphics—800x600 does not look super-great on big, modern displays—with "high quality upscaling tools to start," and then tweaking by hand. For die-hard old-school types, an option to use the original graphics will also be available.

One thing that won't be available, unfortunately, are leaderboards. Gabler said they never worked very well anyway—"Our poor server constantly got stressed out and shut itself down"—and so they were taken offline for good a few years back. "In all recent versions of the game, including the version launching on the Epic store, we've redesigned bits of the game to accommodate this change," he said. He also pointed out that leaderboard support is offered by GooFans.com, saying that it's "a much nicer leaderboard system than we ever had."

The updated version of World of Goo will eventually be released everywhere, but the Epic Games Store will be first.
This is even more scummy than a new game exclusivity. Those Steam players bought your game, made you successfull, and you show your gratitude by not giving them the updated game? Fuck these people.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You don't think Epic will want to make money at some point? Sweeney might pretend they're running a charity, but they're not.

Eventually yes, but when is "eventually" up? When you open a new restaurant you're supposed to be able to go without profit for 2 years while you build a reputation and customer base. Epic is obviously spending a lot while they have Fortnite money to get a customer base they will have after Fortnite fades. How long will they invest in that? I can't say exactly, obviously, but they're obviously playing to win and have a lot of cash, so I bet it will be a while. And if you think people won't give in to play the big new games they want to play then I've got 30 years of gaming history to show you.

Whatever you guys think of this... happy, super angry or somewhere in the middle like me... it's not gonna go away. They're not idiots with no idea what they're doing. The only way to take on Steam was exclusives, and they're playing the best card they've got with a big war chest. I think assumptions that this is a blip on the radar are super naive.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eventually yes, but when is "eventually" up? When you open a new restaurant you're supposed to be able to go without profit for 2 years while you build a reputation and customer base. Epic is obviously spending a lot while they have Fortnite money to get a customer base they will have after Fortnite fades. How long will they invest in that? I can't say exactly, obviously, but they're obviously playing to win and have a lot of cash, so I bet it will be a while. And if you think people won't give in to play the big new games they want to play then I've got 30 years of gaming history to show you.

Whatever you guys think of this... happy, super angry or somewhere in the middle like me... it's not gonna go away. They're not idiots with no idea what they're doing. The only way to take on Steam was exclusives, and they're playing the best card they've got with a big war chest. I think assumptions that this is a blip on the radar are super naive.

Disagree on the underlined part. If they wanted to take on Steam, they would have provided a platform either equal to, or superior, than Steam's. So far Epic Store doesn't even come close to the former.

That is why the Epic Store is currently headed to be nothing more than a passing blip on the radar. It's really easy to surpass Steam in various ways, but Epic couldn't even be arsed to do that.

Everything about the Epic Store currently seems to be a massive cash grab with no intention of actually establishing a lasting marketplace.

Epic needs to up their game really fast, or burn out really quick.

Mustawd

Why do people keep repeating the falsehood that this was THE ONLY WAY EPIC COULD HAVE COMPETED?

That’s stupid. Give the customer what they want in a way the current dominating force does not.

Uber did this to Taxis.

Youtube/Netflix did this to cable companies.

It’s not a complicated concept.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Disagree on the underlined part. If they wanted to take on Steam, they would have provided a platform either equal to, or superior, than Steam's. So far Epic Store doesn't even come close to the former.

You guys keep saying that but I don't believe it at all. People mostly want to stick with Steam because they're the "good guys" and their whole library is there. "I don't want another client!" The features are relevant to some of course, and I'm sure Epic is working on them on a priority basis, but in the long run would people have left Steam in any kind of serious numbers without an exclusive forcing them to? I really doubt it. GOG and Origin only got attention for exclusives, multiple consoles only exist because of exclusives, and Epic knows the game. The way it's always worked with video games was exclusives.

Now, would it have been more consumer friendly to hire a bunch of teams and create exclusives themselves? Sure. Like I said before though, Epic don't want to be the next Origin, selling their own games and not much else on their client. They want to take their Fortnite money and turn it into the next Steam. You can't do that with just your own slate.

This isn't even about whether this is "good or bad" or whatever else, I'm just looking at it from a cold and cutthroat capitalist business perspective. This was the obvious route, and they're not gonna back down after a year of okay sales. Valve dealt with the same outrage and boycotters 15 years ago, it's factored into the change dice roll. Whether you think it's evil or not, it is what it is. Don't expect them to throw their hands up when Boderlands 3 sells less than Borderlands 2 at first or whatever. This is a long view strategy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why do people keep repeating the falsehood that this was THE ONLY WAY EPIC COULD HAVE COMPETED?

That’s stupid. Give the customer what they want in a way the current dominating force does not.

Uber did this to Taxis.

Youtube/Netflix did this to cable companies.

It’s not a complicated concept.

This kind of "revolutionize the industry" competition IS coming, from Google. Stadia is that, and Stadia will likely change everything whether we like it or not.

Wot? GOG has Epic Store-like exclusives? That’s news to me.

GOG has had plenty of exclusives, and yes they work with license holders to get an exclusivity period in exchange for things like free compatibility work or lower revenue percentage. Last one I remember was Star Wars Pod Racer, but there were others before and since. Early in GOG's life a lot of their classics were exclusive, before coming to Steam later. They tried it with a newer game recently with that Witcher card game thing, and publically said it didn't work out that well. Not a big enough title to force GOG sign-ups, but Borderlands 3? That is, yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom