Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This is even more scummy than a new game exclusivity. Those Steam players bought your game, made you successfull, and you show your gratitude by not giving them the updated game? Fuck these people.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Eventually yes, but when is "eventually" up? When you open a new restaurant you're supposed to be able to go without profit for 2 years while you build a reputation and customer base. Epic is obviously spending a lot while they have Fortnite money to get a customer base they will have after Fortnite fades. How long will they invest in that? I can't say exactly, obviously, but they're obviously playing to win and have a lot of cash, so I bet it will be a while. And if you think people won't give in to play the big new games they want to play then I've got 30 years of gaming history to show you.

Whatever you guys think of this... happy, super angry or somewhere in the middle like me... it's not gonna go away. They're not idiots with no idea what they're doing. The only way to take on Steam was exclusives, and they're playing the best card they've got with a big war chest. I think assumptions that this is a blip on the radar are super naive.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Disagree on the underlined part. If they wanted to take on Steam, they would have provided a platform either equal to, or superior, than Steam's. So far Epic Store doesn't even come close to the former.

That is why the Epic Store is currently headed to be nothing more than a passing blip on the radar. It's really easy to surpass Steam in various ways, but Epic couldn't even be arsed to do that.

Everything about the Epic Store currently seems to be a massive cash grab with no intention of actually establishing a lasting marketplace.

Epic needs to up their game really fast, or burn out really quick.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  5. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Why do people keep repeating the falsehood that this was THE ONLY WAY EPIC COULD HAVE COMPETED?

That’s stupid. Give the customer what they want in a way the current dominating force does not.

Uber did this to Taxis.

Youtube/Netflix did this to cable companies.

It’s not a complicated concept.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You guys keep saying that but I don't believe it at all. People mostly want to stick with Steam because they're the "good guys" and their whole library is there. "I don't want another client!" The features are relevant to some of course, and I'm sure Epic is working on them on a priority basis, but in the long run would people have left Steam in any kind of serious numbers without an exclusive forcing them to? I really doubt it. GOG and Origin only got attention for exclusives, multiple consoles only exist because of exclusives, and Epic knows the game. The way it's always worked with video games was exclusives.

Now, would it have been more consumer friendly to hire a bunch of teams and create exclusives themselves? Sure. Like I said before though, Epic don't want to be the next Origin, selling their own games and not much else on their client. They want to take their Fortnite money and turn it into the next Steam. You can't do that with just your own slate.

This isn't even about whether this is "good or bad" or whatever else, I'm just looking at it from a cold and cutthroat capitalist business perspective. This was the obvious route, and they're not gonna back down after a year of okay sales. Valve dealt with the same outrage and boycotters 15 years ago, it's factored into the change dice roll. Whether you think it's evil or not, it is what it is. Don't expect them to throw their hands up when Boderlands 3 sells less than Borderlands 2 at first or whatever. This is a long view strategy.

• retadred x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Wot? GOG has Epic Store-like exclusives? That’s news to me.

^ Top  
  9. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    This kind of "revolutionize the industry" competition IS coming, from Google. Stadia is that, and Stadia will likely change everything whether we like it or not.

GOG has had plenty of exclusives, and yes they work with license holders to get an exclusivity period in exchange for things like free compatibility work or lower revenue percentage. Last one I remember was Star Wars Pod Racer, but there were others before and since. Early in GOG's life a lot of their classics were exclusive, before coming to Steam later. They tried it with a newer game recently with that Witcher card game thing, and publically said it didn't work out that well. Not a big enough title to force GOG sign-ups, but Borderlands 3? That is, yeah.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Do you understand what Capitalism actually is?

If yes, then what does this have to do with Capitalism?

If no, then the term you are searching for is free market theory.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    DalekFlay

I don't believe that Steam are the "good guys". They're just there, with their set of features and a majority marketplace position. I don't like it, but I have little choice nowadays.

Saying that you don't want another client is a pretty basic demand, especially since every client so far doesn't compare to Steam for various reasons. Epic Store is no exception.

And GOG NEVER got attention for its exclusives, it got attention for being DRM-free. Get your facts straight or get the fuck out. (Not saying that GOG didn't have exclusives, but its exclusive titles were never gonna revolutionize the industry, were they?)

Your "cold and cutthroat capitalist business perspective" is so full of bullshit that I can smell the stink from all the way over here.

And LOL at Google changing gaming with their Stadia thing. They're just rehashing what the Internet Archive has been doing for a few years now (unsuccessfully, might I add).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    To put it into blunter words:

What you "believe" in this matter doesn't matter. The facts matter. The facts are these: The Steam client has features that the Epic Store client does not. The Epic Store client does not have any features that surpass Steam's client.

Therefore, Steam is the better client of the two. Period.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  13. Jonathan "Zee Cat Novice

Jonathan "Zee Cat
    Good luck trying to play a game being streamed from god knows where with comcast levels of internet.
    :notsureifserious:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    The only times I have ever seen GOG mentioned on mainstream outlets since launch era as anything other than a footnote were when they had an exclusive release like Star Wars Pod Racer or a massive sale. As you said yourself, Steam is the default, so the only time the others get attention is when they have something Steam does not. If something launches on Steam, then Steam is the focus. I'm not at all expressing confusion as to why this is, indie devs have hinted that Steam gets like 95% of sales versus GOG. I'm just saying if exclusives are the only thing that gets you attention, then exclusives are the thing to use.

No shit. Did I ever say otherwise? You guys seem to think me evaluating Epic's tactics and saying they aren't going away is some coded message for "oh my stars the Epic client is amazing you guys, I hope it wins!" It's really not. I'm just saying this fantasy of Epic going "oh well, not enough sales of Borderlands 3, let's throw in the towel" are naive. People WILL switch over to get a big game they want, Epic WILL have patience and deep bags of money to compete for a long time. This isn't ending anytime soon, and a dozen angry people on here are not representative of what the market is doing as a whole.

Same with Stadia, me saying that will be the "Uber of videogames" is in no way an endorsement. I fucking hate the idea of that shit taking over, but that doesn't mean I don't see it happening. Consumers crave convenience and low cost over anything else, and Stadia will offer that.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    What is your evidence that "people are leaving Steam in any kind of serious numbers"? Did any of their user numbers or concurrent users drop in any meaningful way? https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ Where are you getting this from, because I don't believe they did?

As I posted early in the thread, Epic had their database crash when they reached 3.4 million concurrent users because of Fortnite about a year ago and for Steam having that kind of concurrent user numbers x5 just means it's Tuesday:
    PC gamers have also always hated and looked down upon the practice of "Excl000sives" and if Epic thinks it can pull an Xbox, well bigger players than them have tried it before like Microsoft with GfWL. If any of the devs signing off on this for obvious financial reasons would be so confident about this, they wouldn't limit their Excl000sivity to 6 or 12 month periods either.

LOL, nvm you're just :retarded:, carry on.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    You call me a retard and yet you can't even read a sentence properly and write a whole retort based on your misreading.

• butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Then the problem is on your end.

The problem with this, is that it's all based off of your opinion, nothing more. Opinion does not equal facts. I provided facts. What did you bring to the table?

On this I'll give you small credit: It's been an amazing rollercoaster ride in recent times to see just how stupid people really are. George Carlin didn't spend nearly enough time to ponder how stupid mankind is in general. That said, it says nothing on how things will be. It could end your way, it could end up on the opposite side as well. Time will tell.

^ Top  
  18. hajro Savant

hajro
    R E T A R D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Ismaul Arcane Patron

Ismaul
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    The market and customers are also playing the long view strategy here. No benefit for the customers? No sale. Explicit disdain for us? Fuck off and die.

After a year it won't be a matter of Epic throwing in the towel, it's the publishers that will pack up and abandon ship when they have tangible proof that their games have sold poorly because of them being Epic exclusives. The Epic store will lose its perceived advantage for publishers and just become another Origin.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Your facts are about Steam being popular and a better client, which I never disputed or said anything contrary to. So... not sure what you're after here. And yes obviously it is my opinion Epic aren't going to quit anytime soon. My posts are my opinion, news at fuckin' 11.

Yeah history really shows us how strong consumers are about standing up for their rights and boycotting companies that do shitty stuff. Gaming history really shows how useless exclusives are. Great calls here. I'll believe it when I see it.

• STOP! posting STOP! posting x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. TZ3K Arcane

TZ3K

• Funny x 11
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    He's being retarded as hell there, btw.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    So it's safe bet to remove all borderlands from steam and make them full epic excloosives.

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Lord Commissar Alexer Novice

Lord Commissar Alexer
    I'm afraid that epic will succeed. Simply because players these days are basically addicts, looking always for the next big fix regardless if they are being ripped off or not.
    Otherwise we woudn't have Micro-transactions, Lootboxes, Mini-DLCs and Games as a service.

• Agree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit already.
    "PC gamers" maybe, but steamtards surely didn't.

Oh yeah, of course, Steam exclusives are not exclusives because steamtards equate Steam to PC gaming therefore if it's on Steam it's on PC so it's not exclusive.
    Oh, look, I want to play GRIP, but it's only on Steam, and the developers said they don't have any intention to release it somewhere else. So to play it, I HAVE to use Steam, but it's not an exclusive. :gumpyhead:

Also, steamtards look down upon any developer who releases anywhere else and/or his own website but not on Steam. Because... umm... durr I WUNT ALL MUH GAEMS IN TEH SAME DRM CLIENT!!!!1
    The good old "I can take all my games with me in my mom's basement" argument. Steamtards have NO problem with clients. The love it and they want it. They just want to use the one they know and that's all. If Steam removed the client and sold the games on their own steamtards would have a fit.
    So it's also bullshit to say how "PC gamers" totally don't like clients.

Yeah, maybe technically Steam doesn't pay developers for exclusives. But it's only because they don't have to, the retarded userbase makes sure that Steam has the most exclusives of any platform.

• retadred x 5
    • thumbs down x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)