Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Mustawd

I'm just looking at it from a cold and cutthroat capitalist business perspective.

Do you understand what Capitalism actually is?

If yes, then what does this have to do with Capitalism?

If no, then the term you are searching for is free market theory.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
DalekFlay

I don't believe that Steam are the "good guys". They're just there, with their set of features and a majority marketplace position. I don't like it, but I have little choice nowadays.

Saying that you don't want another client is a pretty basic demand, especially since every client so far doesn't compare to Steam for various reasons. Epic Store is no exception.

And GOG NEVER got attention for its exclusives, it got attention for being DRM-free. Get your facts straight or get the fuck out. (Not saying that GOG didn't have exclusives, but its exclusive titles were never gonna revolutionize the industry, were they?)

Your "cold and cutthroat capitalist business perspective" is so full of bullshit that I can smell the stink from all the way over here.

And LOL at Google changing gaming with their Stadia thing. They're just rehashing what the Internet Archive has been doing for a few years now (unsuccessfully, might I add).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
To put it into blunter words:

What you "believe" in this matter doesn't matter. The facts matter. The facts are these: The Steam client has features that the Epic Store client does not. The Epic Store client does not have any features that surpass Steam's client.

Therefore, Steam is the better client of the two. Period.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And GOG NEVER got attention for its exclusives, it got attention for being DRM-free. Get your facts straight or get the fuck out. (Not saying that GOG didn't have exclusives, but its exclusive titles were never gonna revolutionize the industry, were they?)

The only times I have ever seen GOG mentioned on mainstream outlets since launch era as anything other than a footnote were when they had an exclusive release like Star Wars Pod Racer or a massive sale. As you said yourself, Steam is the default, so the only time the others get attention is when they have something Steam does not. If something launches on Steam, then Steam is the focus. I'm not at all expressing confusion as to why this is, indie devs have hinted that Steam gets like 95% of sales versus GOG. I'm just saying if exclusives are the only thing that gets you attention, then exclusives are the thing to use.

To put it into blunter words:

What you "believe" in this matter doesn't matter. The facts matter. The facts are these: The Steam client has features that the Epic Store client does not. The Epic Store client does not have any features that surpass Steam's client.

Therefore, Steam is the better client of the two. Period.

No shit. Did I ever say otherwise? You guys seem to think me evaluating Epic's tactics and saying they aren't going away is some coded message for "oh my stars the Epic client is amazing you guys, I hope it wins!" It's really not. I'm just saying this fantasy of Epic going "oh well, not enough sales of Borderlands 3, let's throw in the towel" are naive. People WILL switch over to get a big game they want, Epic WILL have patience and deep bags of money to compete for a long time. This isn't ending anytime soon, and a dozen angry people on here are not representative of what the market is doing as a whole.

Same with Stadia, me saying that will be the "Uber of videogames" is in no way an endorsement. I fucking hate the idea of that shit taking over, but that doesn't mean I don't see it happening. Consumers crave convenience and low cost over anything else, and Stadia will offer that.

Dexter

Arcane
but in the long run would people have left Steam in any kind of serious numbers without an exclusive forcing them to? I really doubt it.
What is your evidence that "people are leaving Steam in any kind of serious numbers"? Did any of their user numbers or concurrent users drop in any meaningful way? https://store.steampowered.com/stats/ Where are you getting this from, because I don't believe they did?

As I posted early in the thread, Epic had their database crash when they reached 3.4 million concurrent users because of Fortnite about a year ago and for Steam having that kind of concurrent user numbers x5 just means it's Tuesday:
Epic had a Database outage at 3.4 million concurrent users back in February: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/postmortem-of-service-outage-at-3-4m-ccu while Steam peaked at 18.5 million concurrent users logged in: https://www.vg247.com/2018/10/23/steam-18-5-million-concurrent-users-peak/

PC gamers have also always hated and looked down upon the practice of "Excl000sives" and if Epic thinks it can pull an Xbox, well bigger players than them have tried it before like Microsoft with GfWL. If any of the devs signing off on this for obvious financial reasons would be so confident about this, they wouldn't limit their Excl000sivity to 6 or 12 month periods either.

This kind of "revolutionize the industry" competition IS coming, from Google. Stadia is that, and Stadia will likely change everything whether we like it or not.
LOL, nvm you're just :retarded:, carry on.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The only times I have ever seen GOG mentioned on mainstream outlets since launch era as anything other than a footnote were when they had an exclusive release like Star Wars Pod Racer or a massive sale.

Then the problem is on your end.

No shit. Did I ever say otherwise? You guys seem to think me evaluating Epic's tactics and saying they aren't going away is some coded message for "oh my stars the Epic client is amazing you guys, I hope it wins!" It's really not. I'm just saying this fantasy of Epic going "oh well, not enough sales of Borderlands 3, let's throw in the towel" are naive. People WILL switch over to get a big game they want, Epic WILL have patience and deep bags of money to compete for a long time. This isn't ending anytime soon, and a dozen angry people on here are not representative of what the market is doing as a whole.

The problem with this, is that it's all based off of your opinion, nothing more. Opinion does not equal facts. I provided facts. What did you bring to the table?

Same with Stadia, me saying that will be the "Uber of videogames" is in no way an endorsement. I fucking hate the idea of that shit taking over, but that doesn't mean I don't see it happening. Consumers crave convenience and low cost over anything else, and Stadia will offer that.

On this I'll give you small credit: It's been an amazing rollercoaster ride in recent times to see just how stupid people really are. George Carlin didn't spend nearly enough time to ponder how stupid mankind is in general. That said, it says nothing on how things will be. It could end your way, it could end up on the opposite side as well. Time will tell.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Don't expect them to throw their hands up when Boderlands 3 sells less than Borderlands 2 at first or whatever. This is a long view strategy.
The market and customers are also playing the long view strategy here. No benefit for the customers? No sale. Explicit disdain for us? Fuck off and die.

After a year it won't be a matter of Epic throwing in the towel, it's the publishers that will pack up and abandon ship when they have tangible proof that their games have sold poorly because of them being Epic exclusives. The Epic store will lose its perceived advantage for publishers and just become another Origin.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The problem with this, is that it's all based off of your opinion, nothing more. Opinion does not equal facts. I provided facts. What did you bring to the table?

Your facts are about Steam being popular and a better client, which I never disputed or said anything contrary to. So... not sure what you're after here. And yes obviously it is my opinion Epic aren't going to quit anytime soon. My posts are my opinion, news at fuckin' 11.

The market and customers are also playing the long view strategy here. No benefit for the customers? No sale. Explicit disdain for us? Fuck off and die.

Yeah history really shows us how strong consumers are about standing up for their rights and boycotting companies that do shitty stuff. Gaming history really shows how useless exclusives are. Great calls here. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm afraid that epic will succeed. Simply because players these days are basically addicts, looking always for the next big fix regardless if they are being ripped off or not.
Otherwise we woudn't have Micro-transactions, Lootboxes, Mini-DLCs and Games as a service.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
PC gamers have also always hated and looked down upon the practice of "Excl000sives"

Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit already.
"PC gamers" maybe, but steamtards surely didn't.

Oh yeah, of course, Steam exclusives are not exclusives because steamtards equate Steam to PC gaming therefore if it's on Steam it's on PC so it's not exclusive.
Oh, look, I want to play GRIP, but it's only on Steam, and the developers said they don't have any intention to release it somewhere else. So to play it, I HAVE to use Steam, but it's not an exclusive. :gumpyhead:

Also, steamtards look down upon any developer who releases anywhere else and/or his own website but not on Steam. Because... umm... durr I WUNT ALL MUH GAEMS IN TEH SAME DRM CLIENT!!!!1
The good old "I can take all my games with me in my mom's basement" argument. Steamtards have NO problem with clients. The love it and they want it. They just want to use the one they know and that's all. If Steam removed the client and sold the games on their own steamtards would have a fit.
So it's also bullshit to say how "PC gamers" totally don't like clients.

Yeah, maybe technically Steam doesn't pay developers for exclusives. But it's only because they don't have to, the retarded userbase makes sure that Steam has the most exclusives of any platform.

PrettyDeadman

What steam "exclusives" are you talking about?

There's tons of shit you can only play by going through Steam. TONS. You guys don't see it as "exclusive" because Valve didn't pay anyone to do it, but the user experience is identical.
Exclusive means that developers aren't allowed to publish the game on other platform due to some contractual obligations (like in case with Epic store exclusives where publishers were paid off to do that), not that they don't bother to publish it anywhere else.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The 'implicit coercion of Steam' argument falls part when you see publishers/developers list their games on GOG, too. Steam doesn't dictate exclusives and games have been launched simultaneously on Steam and GOG. Steam also didn't care when Ubisoft games required U-Play and also sold their games separately on the U-Play platform.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Seriously, bitching about "Steam exclusives" because developers are lazy to publish elsewhere is next level retardation. Go bitch at Caged Element twatter to put their game (which is great btw, I backed it on KS and happy I did) on GOG or wherever.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Seriously, bitching about "Steam exclusives" because developers are lazy to publish elsewhere is next level retardation. Go bitch at Caged Element twatter to put their game (which is great btw, I backed it on KS and happy I did) on GOG or wherever.
In many (most?) cases Steam is the only platform that welcomes these games (didn't GOG turn down Grimoire?).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In many (most?) cases Steam is the only platform that welcomes these games (didn't GOG turn down Grimoire?).

- Grimoire
- Vigilantes
- Das Geisterschiff

Just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom