Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Also, why I dunno about Vigilantes, I know Grimoire and Geisterschiff are available on itch.io, which is establishing itself as a DRM-free platform for small indies. It carries a bunch of games not available on GoG or even Steam, although their overall quality is lower and it doesn't carry any higher profile games.

It does exist, though, and is a nice alternative for indies who wanna go DRM free without curation.

Despite all the utter shit (cheap RPG Maker games etc) that is dumped on Steam, overall its anything goes philosophy is a good thing for gaming since it allows obscure indies to get their game out to the public.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  2. passerby Savant

passerby
    The question is not whether you should care about Epic, but whether you should care about smaller cut becoming industry standard, or whether *if* for example Pheonix Point was an ultimate squad tactics game ( it won't be ) should you care about it enough to buy on Epic.
    As not an entitled commie retard, I care about latter two hypothetical developments. I don't care much, but I care on principle.

And no, we are not at risk of Epic dominating the market here at all. Epic successfully pressuring Steam into smaller cut would only result in *less* store exclusives in the future and even better standing of PC game market compared to consoles.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    I don't care about scammers and their profits.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. passerby Savant

passerby
    If you've ever spent a decade to create a bussiness and produced anything sellable in your life, you would be annoyed about store chain turning more profit from your product than you and would feel "entitled" to seek the most efficient way to put your product on the market.

As an average drone, you're unable to empathise with such position.

• Disagree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Taking money from people and then saying "fuck you, Epic offered us more than you, fags" is scam. And i don't care about scammer struggles. Store should take 99% of profits from them and i still wouldn't care.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    I have no problem with scammers,95% of times the victim is at fault really.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Game developers are some of the biggest snowflakes in the world. And most of them complain about their cuts when, quite frankly, they make shit games that would get absolutely no traction in sales without outlets like Steam.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    If you want to make money,own the whole chain! If you own both distribution means and a production,you will make a lot more money than just production. Distribution is pretty parasitic business,but it exist because of time.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. passerby Savant

passerby
    I didn't wrote about any particular snowflake, but about principles. Reading comprehension fail.

If someone produced something worth the money and the 20h to spent with it, Epic is not much of an issue, if not then Epic is not an issue at all. Consumerist sheeple that care about Steam store experience more than about the content they purchase there are amusing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    are paying your bills.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    If the product's truly worth the money and whatever hours spent with it, and Epic's not much of an issue, why not simultaneously release it on Steam, GOG, itch.io, Discord store, and whatever storefronts existed out there? Why have it release it exclusively on Epic only, if only for 6 months or even 1 whole year?

Let's be honest here. The products getting Epic-exclusive release are most probably dogshit that the devs don't have confidence it in selling on Steam/GOG that they took the bait and receive instant bucks from Epic, because that's truly what they really cared for instead of genuinely making quality products.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    And that is why you are not a shopkeeper but a producing dude. If consumers are not happy with the shop,then your product is worth jack shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. passerby Savant

passerby
    If it's dogshit you shouldn't buy it period, Epic exclusive, or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    I mostly agree with you mate,but quality doesn't always translate in to successful sale,there is a ton of good products that don't sale well. As a whole modern society do have the tendency to buy shit products. Also it is a smart bussines move to go epic if you don't intend to make more games with the same firm. They had already capped their sale capacity with kickstarter. No matter what they decide to do they will have low sales,so either you get the money and the stigma around it or you go to steam get no money.

^ Top  
  15. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    You're right, but I think when you managed to build quite good reputation, from producing genuinely good products to applying good consumer practices, then all that a good developer really need is to prioritize what kind of product they want to make, and focus themselves. Obviously one also need to adjust the scope and budget properly, based on the size of the market and potential customers.

If all they care about is making money, well, I wouldn't really care about them at the end of the day. If they used kickstarter but didn't deliver enough for whatever reasons, then that's on them and them alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yep. Pretty much all the devs that praise Epic have some kind of issue with the gamer community, not with Steam.

Maybe they made some shitty walking simulator nobody cares about, which is why it was buried in the Steam frontpage quite quickly... a frontpage where even trainwrecks like Torment: Numenera and Bard's Tale 4 lingered for a long while, and hey what do you know, inXile never blamed Steam for their failures but only themselves. Steam allowed companies like Larian and Iron Tower Studios to self-publish their games with no need for a publisher and turn enough profit to stay indie. Divinity: Original Sin 2 even became a bestseller.

The only ones who go "bawwwwwww Steam algorithms and the 30% cut are the only reason my game doesn't sell enough copies for me to make a living" are hipster indies who create banal games that aren't good enough to pull players with their own virtues, or devs who hate receiving bad press because they are assholes (Randy "You can't buy the original Duke games lol" fucking Pitchford) and don't want their asshole-ness exposed by user reviews.

• Brofist x 6
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Melcar Arcane

Melcar
    Yeah, fuck those losers.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. passerby Savant

passerby
    I never said you should support "good fight" of Epic against Steam by buying shitty games there. I say, if at any point an Epic exclusive actually deliver, buying there shouldn't be a problem, if you are not a sheeple.

• retadred x 3
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Is it because being Epic exclusive that it delivers, or because the product is genuinely good? If it's the latter, why not have confidence in it and simultaneously release ALSO on Steam, GOG, itch.io, Discord store, and whatever storefronts in existence instead of signing exclusivity deal with Epic and accepting instant bucks?

Funny how you only mention Steam by name, when there are GOG-only fans out there who might as well felt just as hurt as Steam fans.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    Getting down on your knees to suck someones cock after they insulted and beat you just because you really need the glorious product is what crackwhores do not sheep.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yeah everyone in this discussion just keeps yelling about STEAM STEAM STEAM STEAM but Steam isn't even the point.

Phoenix Point went from Steam + GoG to Epic only. Two stores for the consumer to choose from... changed to a single store.

Yes, Steam is the biggest platform with the most users and the easiest to get onto. But if the dev cares, he can also publish on other platforms.
    Epic exclusive means the game is only available on one store, not two, not three.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Phoenix Point is going to be shit anyway, like all the auteur crowdscamming.

• Racist Racist x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    One for Crimson Skies was excellent.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. passerby Savant

passerby
    Damn, I regret using Phoenix Point as an example, because you are all so butthurt about this stupid, game that the whole point of my arguments flew over your heads.
    There is not a single game on Epic I am personally interested in, so I decorated my example with *if* and "hypothetically", that went completely ignored.

If we are at Phoenix Point btw, they've refunded everyone that wanted, hardly a scam by crowdfunding standards, if you ask me.
    If you like what the game is developing into and wouldn't refund if it was on Steam/GoG and did it only because you reee about Epic, you have a right to a refund since the deal has changed, but you are a sheeple.
    If you used this opportunity to refund, because you don't like what the game is shaping into, it's reasonable.

With Phoenix Point it seems to be more of the latter and it's fine.
    With Metro there were people cautiously fapping to it, but after the news, there was only reeeing about Epic, with quiet a few people claimng that the only reason they didn't buy is no Steam.

• retadred retadred x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Yes, you're a sheeple for refunding a game when the stores you were promised it would appear on are suddenly kicked out in favor of exclusivity with a store that is way less consumer friendly than either of the two stores that the game was previously intended to be released on :roll:

Especially when GoG enters the equation and it's not only about Steam anymore, the consumer friendliness of the store plays a HUGE role in the argument.

GoG = you own the game. You can download it, dump it on your external HDD, and keep it forever. Install and play offline.
    Epic = like Steam except worse lol

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)