Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Irata Educated

Irata
    https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1121218551342350336

Tencent Epic says that if Valve matches its 12% cut and some other conditions then it will stop buying exclusives.

• Funny x 15
    • rolleyes x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    first world problem indeed.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    "If Steam committed to a permanent 88% revenue share for all developers and publishers without major strings attached, Epic would hastily organize a retreat from exclusives (while honoring our partner commitments) and consider putting our own games on Steam."

Epic only beats me because they love me, fuck you Gaben you bastard why do you let this continue? All you have to do is do everything they ask of you! I always knew Gaben was the one behind this all along. :negative:

• Funny Funny x 13
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    They have other games besides fortnite?
    Gaben, please, don't lower your cut. You have enough shit in your store already.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Who Cares Educated

Who Cares
    Imagine all the fortnite kiddies in steam reviews. Gaben pls dont do this

• Agree Agree x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. passerby Learned

passerby
    Nice strawman, most people don't want DRM free archive file, they want convenience of a store platform with more than one title on it, selling early access on your website, with no promotion, with awful BMTmicro service is not comparable at all.
    You wouldn't be able to replicate what Epic Store provides with your own store at 7% revenue (you are on Unreal Engine), they probably run it non profit currently.

Steam had resistance, then there was Uplay, Origin, most MMOs have it's own platforms, adopting one more is much less of a treshold.
    There are free games every two weeks, if Epic got an exclusive of Metro, or Borderlands 3 callibre every few months and few smaller ones in between and they were permanent and such state continued long enough, most gamers would end up having an account there.
    Maybe they wouldn't visist it daily like Steam, but would check it lets say monthly, but discovery rate for each visit there could be an order of magnitude higher than on Steam. Keep in mind 90% of steam accounts are fake, or abandoned, not active customers.
    Worked for EA with Origin, would work much better in this hypothetical scenario, with much wider selection of exclusives. End game would be a lower cut for the whole industry, everyone could release their exclusives on Steam, once it'd got pressured into lowering the cut.

But since customer is your master and you won't even dare to question them in a forum discussion, and embrace current ecosystem fully, then I'll embrace this mindset too. I've found da way.
    Why bother buying two full price copies of AoD on BMT with fake address, so goverment and Steam don't snatch half of your revenue, when I can just get it in a bundle like this https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/fantasy-legends-bundle ?
    Very convenient, nice price, such satisfied customer, Steam key ! I'll buy colony ship rpg in a bundle like this, be grateful, I pay your bills.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • retadred retadred x 7
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Cromwell Arcane

Cromwell
    Did you just try to verbally slap him by telling him sarcastically that you (people) could buy his games in sales / bundles? If he didnt want his games there they wouldnt be there. This thread has become retard central.

"if you do what we need to survive we stop killing ourselves financially!" I swear to fuck the man is not only named todd sweeny he behaves like it.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Big Wrangle Guest

Big Wrangle
    I'm sure Epic will also increase the cut slightly and drop the whole freebies stuff after they establish a large consumer base.

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat

Living in the Seventh world i see.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    yeah, i used the meme just for its value, i can't know and never will what it means to have first world problems.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    That was in response to "if only gamers cared about the developers' bottom line". Since you agree that most people prefer the convenience of store platforms, surely you can see why they'd prefer a more convenient one, with nice toxic features?

Or not. Epic's treating gamers like cattle and forcing them to switch pastures with exclusives. I don't see it as a viable strategy to get "most gamers". Epic needs goodwill and right now it's not generating any.

Steam won't be pressured to do anything until Epic starts selling games like hotcakes. If Epic fails to grab more than 10-15% of the market, it will only reinforce Steam's position as the top market.

We started doing bundles (it's the second bundle for both games) 3 years after AoD release, when the effective price dropped to $3-4 dollars. At this point we don't expect anyone but the most enthusiastic supporters to buy AoD directly from us. Most of our revenues come from Steam, GOG, and now Fanatical. Eventually, Colony Ship will also be sold in a bundle, so anyone willing to wait 3 years will be able to buy it for a few bucks. That's business as usual, no?

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Steam has always been working on new features and introducing them without big fanfare.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. passerby Learned

passerby
    For the record I didn't advise you to go Epic exclusive, because the reality of current situation and an average gamer mindset is obvious and you would loose money with this move. I argue only about principles, I'm aware of reality.

Except customers are a cattle that care more about the store then about you, if they weren't the fact that developers of their niche entertainment can earn 20% more on Epic would be enough to go there, it's a fucking launcher, not a 300$ hardware that takes space in your place.
    You either lead the cattle, or follow it. The reason Epic will fall is because it failed to convince publishers to go all the way with permanent exclusives. The only digital entertainment distributors that had any success competing are the ones with exclusives, it's not just gaming.

If the company that try to provide you a platform to sell and promote games at barely above operation costs and the best engine on the market for free is "toxic" and idiots that circlejerk under my posts with shitty ratings are your buddies, then I rest my case.

Yeah, bussiness as usual, it'll end like mobile market.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • retadred retadred x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    Have you considered also going on the smaller stores like itch.io and Discord Store? And what about the Humble Store?

^ Top  
  16. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    It seems like they are trying to push them in to position where they could outlive them in attrition war. 12% is running at a loss from the looks of it.

^ Top  
  17. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    It's funny that despite all the drama and hollering for them to do something all Valve has to really do is bide their time. Epic's money sack is not bottomless and these games are coming to Steam anyway in a year or less.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Epic has 10 trillions of zoomer dollars as well as the full backing of Tencent's president Xi Jinping.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Doesn't mean they're going to run it at a loss for 10 years.

^ Top  
  20. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    Yes, it means they can run it at a loss for one thousand years!

Whoever controls the games, controls the gamers. Whoever controls the gamers, controls the world.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Well, if we're in agreement that the exclusivity is a bad move, then what are we arguing about? I'm not against Epic, we'll gladly sign up on a non-exclusive basis, and we do need more viable stores.

How the fuck could they possibly convince publishers to abandon the biggest fucking market (85%) and hope for the best? If Epic fails it will be because they focused on pleasing developers and turning Epic into a 'safe store' rather than toxic, no-good customers, you know the very fucking people who actually buy shit.

A platform without millions of paying customers constantly buying games is a dead platform. That's my point. Steam isn't a store that charges developers 30% god knows why. It's the biggest gaming market that dwarfs its competition, which is why it charges 30%. No platform would be able to change that without catering to the players and seeing them, not the developers, as the most valuable asset.

Not sure what your point is. Games are discounted over time. Most games end up at 75-80% off after 3-4 years (the super hits have longer staying power, of course), which usually means under 5 bucks on sale. This business model didn't change in the last 30 years; if anything digital stores have increased games' longevity as in the olden days games could hit the bargain bin much faster and stay there for good.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Realtalk from...RPS? https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...ves-if-steam-gave-devs-larger-cut-ceo-claims/

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. frajaq Arbiter

frajaq

• Funny x 15
    • Balanced x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    But if EGS had no exclusives then nobody except Fortnite kids would use it. Is this guy retarded?

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think the guy running Satisfactory's Twitter account is a bit of a troll.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)