Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. passerby Savant

passerby
    This is exactly the point. If Steam cut was small enough, there would be no point in competing with it at all and everyone, even the biggest players, would be happy to sell there instead of trying to maintain their own platforms.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • /facepalm/ x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. passerby Savant

passerby
    It somehow works for EA and many MMOs. Do you seriously believe there is any amount of pleasing that would make people willingly go outside of Steam ?
    After reading this thread, or with being aware what GOG market share is ( that gathered initial customer base with offering exclusive old games btw ), or witnessing HB switching to selling Steam Keys, etc ?
    It is close to perfect and everyone is already there, they don't care about your bottom line, the money they have to spent is limited and they'll rather wait for a sale, than buy anywhere else.

There are at least three things they did really wrong, though:
    1) All social media communication we witnessed should be kept private and be directed only at publishers. It only keep the flames alive. Average gamer is offended by the very idea that game producers would expect any loyalty and don't deeply believe they're customers bitches.
    2) Everyone who decided to go exclusive route shouldn't announce in advance it's timed, but wait this year to see what happens. Terrible mistake, it only makes even supportive, or indifferent people shrug their shoulders, go play something else and wait for a complete edition on Steam.
    3) Everything from the store features roadmap should be ready before they started.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Solid Snail Learned

Solid Snail
    Imagine a game produced by Tim Sweeney, directed by Randy Pitchford with Peter Molyneaux as lead designer and Sean Murray as the public relation guy.

• Funny x 6
    • Excited! x 3
    • honk honk! x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Who Cares Educated

Who Cares
    Scenario by Ken Levine

• Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Sicario by Kev Inkline

• incline incline x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yes, but only if the platform/service is Ebin.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    I guess that's what every failed MMO publisher said. It works well for Blizzard (WoW), surely it would work for us too? It doesn't just work *somehow*. There are different, specific reasons and they don't apply to Epic.

If by pleasing you mean developing a better store with better features that people would want to use, then yes, absolutely.

This thread is about people being upset that Epic snatched games from Steam at the last min, which in some cases broke earlier promises and commitments. Nobody likes this kind of shit. Had Epic invested into developing their own exclusives, nobody would have said anything.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Epic can afford burning money for exclusives until the sun collapses, so we can bitch about it for another 200 pages but I don't expect for a second they're gonna change this idiotic strategy.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Who Cares Educated

Who Cares
    I care about this the most tbh

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Remember that these are cyclic fads that usually last 3-5 years and "Battle Royale" is already showing its age. There's at the most another 2-3 years here till this particular moneywell dries up and something new comes along: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-goes-bankrupt-rip.121181/page-6#post-5575917

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. unfairlight ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

unfairlight
    Radical Heights dying isn't the result of anything else but that Radical Heights was just bad. Your post was also inaccurate, MMOs and MOBAs are still popular as hell. BRs will be the same way, one or two BR games will become to go-to for everyone (i.e. what WOW and some gook MMOs are for MMOs and what League of Legends and Dota 2 are for MOBAs) and they'll stick around with good popularity for the next 5-10 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yes there's obviously a time limit on it, but it's longer than most people are acting like. Fortnite just shrugged off its best competitor yet in Apex Legends, it's gonna be making them money hand over fist for a long time to come. If consumers hold firm they will eventually be "defeated" in their goal, but exclusives have worked many times before with gaming shit so I wouldn't be that optimistic.

His bullshit today about this all being altruistic is amusing though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Pika-Cthulhu Arcane

Pika-Cthulhu
    Garrys Mod BR with grav guns and objects. BR through head trauma and OH&S violations

^ Top  
  14. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    :hmmm:

Whether Steam relents or not, Epic aren't going to stop establishing their beachhead with the most efficient means available to them. Epic's constant attempts to portray themselves as a multi-billion dollar champion of the people are getting increasingly absurd. Two massive corporations are going to war, and each would like nothing more than to monopolise the market. That's how corporations work! It's hoped this conflict will increase our value as customers and we'll see some benefits, but that would be a byproduct of Epic's actions, not the intent. It's like Epic are trying to take credit for the dog getting to eat because some food spilled off the table while they were gorging themselves.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    ePiC Gamer sure is subtle.

• Funny x 10
    • honk honk! x 8
    • not sure if serious x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • cool story bro x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    They're just quoting the dev, who is surely just fulfilling the exclusive agreement's PR clause. Would be more believable if he said they don't think they lost enough sales to counter the higher revenue, but what he actually said was just PR B.S.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jenkem Cipher Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    When Epic gives you guaranteed sales that you would otherwise not have gotten, then yes, your game will sell "way above expectations."

• Funny x 10
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm thinking they actually include those "sales" when they mention how much it sold.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Why are they so focused on the number '88'?

• Racist Racist x 8
    ^ Top  
  20. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Details: https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/23/world-war-z-passes-1-million-copies-sold-in-a-week/

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pres...r_1_million_units_in_first_week_of_launch.php

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. Plaguecrafter Novice

Plaguecrafter
    He's baiting. He knows 12% is hardly sustainable and is poking Valve to lower their cut, which they will most likely not do. If they do, it's more power to Epic.

I mean, why would you make a store, invest so much money in it, make some high-end partnerships, and then suddenly abandon it when your competition does something? Makes no sense. And him saying that on Twitter really means nothing. It's basically like me saying I'll amputate my arm if somebody gives me 10 million dollars. Not bluffing at all. Nope. No sir.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Because he is a champion of developers ;)

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Easy to perform above expectations when you have no expectations. I mean... it's a Focus Home Interactive title. Also, that one million is total units and not PC? Considering the bulk is probably console sales that is an underwhelming number.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  25. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Weird how they only release the total figure and not the figure per platform.

• Makes you think... x 4
    • it is a mystery x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • :M x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)