Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eric Fenstermaker on New Vegas' Vault 11

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Sawyer clearly felt that Fenstermaker was capable of writing Vault 11, and he was proven right since, despite whatever your personal opinion is on the area
84 metacritic. Shit tier.

Not my fault you can't distingusih between "it's outside my comfort zone" and "I'm shit at it".
Not my fault you don't know that it's the same.

gruntar

Augur
I can't feel the same for hype about Vault 11 after our interview with Eric: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10231

Vault 11 is cool, but it gained recognition from game journos because it hit walking sim notes.

Who cares about journos, Beyond the Beef quest is widely loved among NV fans. This chart is being used to shut down bethestards in pretty much every NV vs Fallout 3/4 thread:

mAENC.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
Beyond The Beef is a technically impressive quest but not really that fun, except that you can resolve the quest by offering to suck a guy's dick in a dumpster and then knocking him out

RoSoDude

Arcane
The "Beyond the Beef" quest led to some of the most aberrant stealth/alliance AI behavior I've ever encountered in New Vegas -- party guests and bouncers ended up in an all out fight while I was running around trying to nab Mortimer. I'm not sure if it made the quest worse, or better by adding some unintended humor with the fact that a bunch of former cannibals were trying to cut each other apart with eating utensils.

Vault crawling is definitely my favorite part of Fallout, personally. I had more fun with Vault 22 and Vault 34 than 11, though. But I also dug the intrigue in Vault 11, and the level design was definitely compelling. Cool read.

Last edited:
The Glow has the "playing chess against the computer until you die" and that was really unique. Probably the only peaceful death in Fallout 1.

Truly monocled individuals quickly hit their carry weights and then spend a day or two leasurely reading books the Big Book of Science, First Aids manuals, Deans' Electronics and other manuals... in the middle of a radioactive hole.

Well sir, just because radiation is off the charts does not mean putting a stop to my self-education, no siree

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I feel Beyond the Beef is a great quest that gets a bad reputation because of people wanting to get the "best" endings but failing to do so due to bugs. It's a very buggy quest, and when you are looking for a particular ending (as opposed to earning whatever comes your way) it can get very frustrating. That was my first time with New Vegas. On my last playthrough, I simply had to put everyone to sleep after I couldn't get Philippe's recipe and cook the meat myself. Something really annoying: I couldn't kill Mortimer afterwards as he sleeped, everyone would wake up magically.

I think I ended up throwing a Plasma Grenade his way when he got back to his post as a receptionist or something.

Sizzle

Arcane
Sawyer clearly felt that Fenstermaker was capable of writing Vault 11, and he was proven right since, despite whatever your personal opinion is on the area
84 metacritic. Shit tier.

Still butthurt at Obsidian for patching PoE - which broke your precious mod - I see :D

Good lad, keep it up. Never give up on your pettiness, draw strength from it, like a mental patient banging his head against the padded wall :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Bester may be a vatnik, hence a misguided person living in a reality constructed by fake news state-controlled media, but his mod was good and useful. It was fortunate that he made it.

laclongquan

Arcane
PS: whoever fucking said that as a writer, your job is to be versatile enough to write anything?

Generally the boss who is too cheap to hire more writers for different styles. Or the HR people who is too lazy to go through all the step to find a different writers for different styles (I admit it's difficult).

What's generally go unsaid is that when you are versatile enough to write anything, you write most of it badly or mediocre enough to pass muster, with the few are good which are your strength anyway.

If you think you can write versatile enough and good enough in most of it, I have really bad news for you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom