Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Essential Fallout 2 Mods

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
So its been a while since I played Fallout 2 and last time I was I had some issues with it due to comp issues but now I've got a new comp and decided to give it another go.

So any mods and such I should get for it to have a better experience?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Killap's Restoration Project "restores" a lot of content, so if you just want bug fixes I recommend using just his unnoficial patch.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Actually you might not want to try Killap's restoration mod. The content that it restores is some of the dumbest, most contrived and poorly written garbage I've ever seen in a game. I'm not even saying this as a rabid Fallout fan or anything. It feels like a high schooler's stumbling, unaware fan fiction, except that it somehow got in the game. Even if you'd never played Fallout 2 before, you could immediately tell what was and wasn't part of the mod.

Actually I've found that mods in general are terrible.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Unless you'd prefer the game not to crash somewhere in the middle.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Get the mod that adds realistic deathclaw scrotal physics.

JaySn

Educated
Do not taint a perfect game with things like patches and mods.

Play it the way it was designed: fault-ily.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Sure, first time I played Fallout 2 it was unpatched (the CD I had came with the 1.02 patch but I didn't bother checking first) and I finished just fine, but the official patches fix hundreds of bugs and Killaps unnoficial patch reportedly fix almost a thousand.

cboyardee said:
Actually you might not want to try Killap's restoration mod. The content that it restores is some of the dumbest, most contrived and poorly written garbage I've ever seen in a game. I'm not even saying this as a rabid Fallout fan or anything. It feels like a high schooler's stumbling, unaware fan fiction, except that it somehow got in the game. Even if you'd never played Fallout 2 before, you could immediately tell what was and wasn't part of the mod.

Well, there's a reason some content doesn't make it into the game, and more often than not it isn't because of time restraints...it's because it was shit to begin with. But apparently the OP already played through vanilla FO2 once, so no harm done.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Of the restoration parts i remember i only liked the reactor attack after that conversation, freeing sulik's sister (but not his tribe, fucking fetch quest), 3-card monte, shadow who walks raider alternative. The rest, EPA, abbey, Karga, etc : shit.

(didn't try the sub in the new version yet).

Part of the problem is that there is no connection of their main quests to anywhere else. As a quick counter example look at the ranger/bishop/raiders/vaultcity quest - fuck, that quest nexus touches the whole east part of the map, with multiple paths leading you to the raiders (that you can take ALL of them for optimized experience), multiple ways to deal with them, multiple things to do with the proof.

EPA by contrast is kind of a shitty idea by itself and with the "mad professor" right next door giving solar handguns it even gets worse. And the companions you get there don't do SHIT unlike the original ones that have quests and funny things like heart medicine (or heart attacks), comments on most areas, etc.

Tell me, wtf is the Abbey doing being unmolested by the Brotherhood of Steel? Why can't i fucking study something interesting there? WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE ONLY 4 FETCH QUESTS THERE (or so).

If you're going to imitate A Canticle for Leibowitz at least copy from the fucking book (how about a crazed hermit eh? A bit of fucking religion no? In a Abbey. With MONKS. Otherwise they're just dudes in robes who have sex sometimes and have salaries).

And where do the "monks" come from? Vault fucking city? Do they have families? If they do, where are they? How would they react to the hubologists? Of the super mutants? What's the doctrine? What's the rule? Would they go preach? To the fucking crime city(tm) maybe?

Pope Amole

Educated
SCO said:
comments on most areas

Xcuse me, but this one is absolute bullshit. I don't know about Kitsune and Dexter because they have way too shitty stats for me to use them, but Cat Jules has comments to lot of areas. Not every one, but more than any of the original PCs. He also has some comments for the different party members (though I've seen only Myron one and, iirc, Lenny one).

I agree that the quests there are quite bad, though, but it's not that you are forced to do anything on that list. Well, except for the sub, which is banal-shit-boring too, but it's so easy that it should not be a problem.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ok fine, i was talking about the previous to last version (where they didn't even talk IIRC).

And it kinda irritates - i mean if you're going to mod new areas and new major characters, at least put in good quests with narrative consistency, instead of something "restored", because it was "in the original plans". Look at the clan quest mod: that is real designing. Extend the game, with the original quests/chars even, exploring or giving new interpretations on organizations and chars.

Vice-versa, as the quests flow outward, they should ALSO flow inward. Don't barf something self-contained that makes no sense and say you're implementing the original vision.

Though you probably are, considering san fran.

Also (and i just noticed this) the names are :retarded:

For people who complain about the pandering the game does for pop culture, they sure went out of their way to add their own little sprinkles of cultural urine.

Red Dwarf, Dexter and probably some anime shit i don't know about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom