Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Etrian Odyssey. (AKA, weeboo Wizardry)

Suicidal

Arcane
I didn't even know there is a new EO game. That's good news. Now I only have to play the 4 other games in the series I haven't finished. This really is becoming the weaboo Wizardry at this point. All we need now is 2 more games and then a weird spiritual successor made by a single crazy person in 20 years.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
These games take so long and are so grindy. I've only beaten the first one, but I beat the first final boss and not the final, final boss. I've played through bits of 2, 3 and 4 but at some point I inevitably just get tired of the grind, take a break, it turns into a long break and then I feel that it's been so long that I haven't played it that I'd rather just start one of the other entries rather than continue one of the ones I'm in the middle of.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
These games take so long and are so grindy. I've only beaten the first one, but I beat the first final boss and not the final, final boss. I've played through bits of 2, 3 and 4 but at some point I inevitably just get tired of the grind, take a break, it turns into a long break and then I feel that it's been so long that I haven't played it that I'd rather just start one of the other entries rather than continue one of the ones I'm in the middle of.

it's not that bad. I haven't played the first game (original version) yet, but second game you can just sleep at the inn a couple time with a low lvl member so it doesn't cost too much to respawn some of the boss and then you kill them for some good exp.
third game had the sea quest thing you could repeat…
4th was easy with the food bonus…
5th I don't remember much grinding, well I did grind a bit in the 4th dungeon I think to buy the ultimate weapon for my fencer…

now in X, my party dmg is low. I almost rely on poison to kill most thing. eventually once I hit lvl 40, I expect my shogun to do decent dmg with one skill…
but I still manage to progress even though my party is so so, with all the event, quest and stuff giving exp it's not too bad.

it's a pain though if you try to level other character on the side, probably best to do that once you unlock almost everything in the game.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I've just recently finished the first EO and no you don't have to grind that much at least much less than in an everage jrpg. it has level cap at 70 and i beat the final bods at 69. The only thing i did was to explore everything in the main 25 levels and did the majority of quests.

Отправлено с моего Mi A2 через Tapatalk

Hobo Elf

Arcane
What party setups are peeps running in EON? I'm currently doing Nightseeker/War Magus/Sovereign//Ninja/Harbinger. Think I'll switch the Sovereign to a Landshark when I unlock subclassing and respec my Nightseeker from the skill that hits hard on ailed enemies to the one that hits several times vs ailed enemies (up to 9 times with a 35% chance to activate again when I cap out Follow Trace as well) so I can feed my Landy with lots of Links for even more damage.

Swigen

Arbiter
Protector, Lansknecht, Ronin
Medic, Zodiac

Just started playing. Feels like a boring party set up, but we’ll see.

Swigen

Arbiter
Did I eff up or can you really not choose the gender pronouns yore characters go by? Is it really gonna be “they” for everything?

I’m getting sentences like, “Bob gets hit on the head. They writhes on the ground in agony.”

Crazy Japs. Almost as good as “lady wood”.

RapineDel

Augur
Would be nice if they released this on the Switch, what was the point of making it 3DS only? I feel like they'll only get hardcore fans and anyone on the fence will just skip it because they've move on from that console.

Swigen

Arbiter
Would be nice if they released this on the Switch, what was the point of making it 3DS only? I feel like they'll only get hardcore fans and anyone on the fence will just skip it because they've move on from that console.

The map making wouldn’t be as nice on the switch.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
To be fair, that's exactly who this game was made for. This is the last hurrah of hand held EO before they move on to the next stage.

Ysaye

Arbiter

<Whinge> What would be really nice is if they made The Dark Spire 2!.....for 3DS, Switch, Playstation Vita and most importantly PC. </whinge>

So Nexus has all the classes from the last five games? I really liked the Arcanist and Imperial classes from four so those would get a run again, and the Hero class looks interesting I suppose. Or maybe I should just replay Etrian Odyssey 4? Is Nexus really worth dusting off the 3DS?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So Nexus has all the classes from the last five games?
Not all. They only have 2 classes from EO5 and EO2, for example.

Is Nexus really worth dusting off the 3DS?
Depends. How much do you really want to walk down memory lane? EON is nice but it is slightly repetitive since you're going through old dungeons for the most part, and so far (I'm on the 7th labyrinth) half of those have been forest dungeons. It's a good game and definitely worth it if you're a fan, but it didn't knock down EOU2 or EO5 from their top spots on my list.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Is it literally the same dungeons? Or just the same themes, like forest, cave, underwater, etc.?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i have been playing this series, finished EOU 1 and doing EOU 2 now and reached the 3rd stratum last weekend. it's really fun. i never thought i would enjoy pure dungeon crawler. i always think blobbers isn't a genre i could get into, but now i want to try all the classics now. wizardry, bard's tale, might and magic, etc.

Tigranes

Arcane
I haven't played all of them all the way through, but I'd say EOU2 is the best experience these days in terms of a decently fun side minigame, a large but not massively bloated megadungeon, and most of the latest QoL stuff. Waiting to see what they do with it for the Switch.

Puukko

Arcane
I've been eyeing EO recently, I'm curious which entry would be the best to start with. I've got a DS I could play any of them on (and I still feel like I haven't gotten everything out of my DS, so this could be a plus) while I've also got a nice Citra setup for playing the newer ones.

Vorark

Erudite
I've been eyeing EO recently, I'm curious which entry would be the best to start with. I've got a DS I could play any of them on (and I still feel like I haven't gotten everything out of my DS, so this could be a plus) while I've also got a nice Citra setup for playing the newer ones.

DS? I enjoyed EOII a lot more than EOIII, despite the latter featuring multiclass. Not fond of the world map and smaller dungeons but it's the only entry which was not remade for the 3DS. EOI is kinda broken, skills don't work as expected so I'd not recommend it unless you want to know how it all started. EO1U (Etrian Odyssey Untold)) would be the better choice here.

The "problem" with the original EOII is that it has a well done remake for the 3DS (EO2U - Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold), as mentioned by HoboForEternity and Tigranes. So it would be up to you -- it's either the original EOII or EOIII.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nazi agenda revealed. ATLUS japanese empire symphatizer confirmed!

P_20191003_232317.jpg

i know nazi swastika is facing the other way but dont be a buzzkill

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I only really loved 1. I liked 2. 3 I thought had a too weird class/subclass system. 4 was too easy. I forgot this series existed so I didn't know there was a 5.

Haven't touched the remakes, looked gay.

ryz

Novice
Interesting thread. Opinions on the "best" title seem really divided (not counting the anti-weeaboo troll brigade here) among fans. I've just started playing and have been making parties in EO1-4, exploring the first floor in each - still trying to gauge which one I'll play through (first).

Aside from visuals and classes (e.g. expressions or nuances of playstyle), I'm more interested in gameplay mechanics & systems. Are there any major differences in mechanics which translate into different types of playing among the series? So far they all seem like "oh instead of PROTECTOR we called the bulky defensive tank class GUARDIAN or some shit now but it's mostly the same have fun"

Oh and QoL seems mediocre in the series. One major QoL gripe I have is that they usually bury vital info within sub-menus - for example when creating and forming a party I NEVER know which character I need or where to put them because they don't fucking show the classes/level/anything (only the stupid names) right here where you really NEED them. making trivial mental gymnastics is great fun, thanks. Baffling that they didn't improve upon this up to at least EO4.

DS? I enjoyed EOII a lot more than EOIII, despite the latter featuring multiclass. Not fond of the world map and smaller dungeons but it's the only entry which was not remade for the 3DS. EOI is kinda broken, skills don't work as expected so I'd not recommend it unless you want to know how it all started. EO1U (Etrian Odyssey Untold)) would be the better choice here.

The "problem" with the original EOII is that it has a well done remake for the 3DS (EO2U - Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold), as mentioned by HoboForEternity and Tigranes. So it would be up to you -- it's either the original EOII or EOIII.

Wait, what? Can you elaborate a bit? I've just started playing EO1 so I'd appreciate info on what's broken.

Vorark

Erudite
Wait, what? Can you elaborate a bit? I've just started playing EO1 so I'd appreciate info on what's broken.

Sure.

Immunize was meant to mitigate elemental damage (a 40-50% reduction). However, it was bugged and instead reduced physical and elemental to almost 100% when maxed out/boosted. It meant you could steamroll fights, trivializing the whole game. Nevermind you could also stack Defender.

Medics were busted: HP and ATK up skills offered huge growths no other class had, they had access to Caduceus (physical attack with a 75% chance to stun an enemy), healing and... Immunize.

Survivalists had the Apollon + Multihit infinite combo: set up apollon -> multihit -> multihit again + apollon activates -> set up apollon -> rinse and reapeat. They also had two useful abilities: one that always made the party go first and another to set up a party member to act first... which of course would be the Medic, for that sweet Immunize.

Troubadours were the ultimate battery: could provide HP and TP regen in every turn, so you could stay exploring the labyrinth for as long as you wanted to. They also got a song that provided a 50% increase to attack so Survivalists could do even more obscene amounts of damage.

tl;dr: You party would receive negligible damage (broken Immunize), could easily dish out out the pain (Survivalist combo + attack song) and never had to worry about hp and tp recovery (Troubadour songs).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom