Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eurofags up for some Borderlands (or sth else) online play?

Monocause

Arcane
I've really wanted to try the Borderlands coop for a bit longer. Played it with a friend once for a couple of hours and it was helluva fun with a lot of swearing and bitching yet without a trace of frustration. The game still probably gets a bit boring later on, but nobody says we've got to finish it.

Any Codexers from Europe up for it? If you haven't got a legit version the Reloaded release available from your favourite site supports normal online play via gamespy. I could also play something else but keep in mind that I'm mostly a strategy games player with a soft spot for RPGs which means that my game collection is strongly leaning towards single player ones. I also don't really enjoy pure FPS games much so these're out too.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I mostly played it offline and it was fun, but I wonder how it is online. Be warned I'm kind of a noob at it though. I'd probably have to start with a new character too.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm a eurofag and I'd love to play some stuff and swear and bitch.

Not Borderlands though.

Monocause

Arcane
@Gragt: The more noobish you are, the more fun we'll have. Last time I played an FPS online was in the middle school about 8 years ago so don't expect any boom, headshots from me neither.

Anyway, the whole point of the coop, from what I gather, is to die horrible and funny deaths and lure your friends into weird places so we'll do fine :D

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I played through the main game twice and about 85% of the Knoxx DLC before I just got bored. I'm sure it's a bit better co-op but ultimately it strikes me as playing WoW just with only one boss to farm: Crawmereaux or whatever. A big problem is the talents aren't very distinctive (honestly neither are the 'classes') so it isn't as if you add a whole lot of synergy in teaming up.

Monocause

Arcane
Like I said:

Anyway, the whole point of the coop, from what I gather, is to die horrible and funny deaths and lure your friends into weird places

I'm not looking for any sort of a cerebral experience from playing Borderlands. Yeah, it doesn't require any planning or sophisticated teamwork, but then again - neither did Diablo, and coop was fun because you were dicking around with people killing stuff and bickering over a piece of equipment.

C'mon. If you get bored you can just quit, no biggie.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Go for it! Borderlands SP is ok for a while, but it's an absolute blast co-op. If you can get 4 together it'll be a riot. Naturally, the game adjusts it's difficulty depending on how many you have. Be sure and get some screen shots to share with us later.

Sadly, I'm in oz outherwise I'd join you.

:salute:

I might play with you a bit later bros. I was completely bored with SP but coop of this kind is mindless fun I can enjoy every once in a while. PM me with your gamespy nick and, if you use it, skypename. Also, list the DLCs you use, if you plan to go through them too. It would be cool if we gathered more people, I only played 2 player coop before. Reinstalling this horrible disgusting piece of dumbed down consolised trash now.

Gragt said:
I'd probably have to start with a new character too.

I think starting with new characters would be best for all. And those characters should be reserved only for coop play.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Unfortunately Steam had a sale for it recently, but it may be back for the upcoming summer sale.

Monocause

Arcane
Excellent! There's three of us. We can wait for the fourth player or start right away. Could one of you guys host it though? Both of you probably have a better rig than I do.

My gamespy ID is "monocause", the same on Skype.

Multi-headed Cow

Hoaxmetal said:
Know a place where you can buy it for dirt cheap?
If you want to have no honor like a woman, you could play MP with a pirated copy just fine. Borderlands doesn't have a CD key, so there's no check to see if you're running a valid copy or not, even through Gamespy.

I'd recommend buying it eventually though since I enjoyed the hell out of it after disliking it pretty strongly at first.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hm I might play with you guys a few times.

I did the same thing as MHC actually. Pirated it, thought it was meh. Then I got my friend to play and we had ridiculous fun for 5-10 hours. Then I bought the game.

And then I never touched the game after I bought it. :rpgcodex:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
My gamespy id is gragt0r, and the same for skype. Oh and gragt on steam, surprisingly enough. Got the game with all 4 DLC.

I sent you guys invites, on gamespy and skype. I guess I can host it, my PC isn't high end but should be more than enough for this. Waiting for you to contact me outside this forum.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Multi-headed Cow said:
Hoaxmetal said:
If you want to have no honor like a woman, you could play MP with a pirated copy just fine. Borderlands doesn't have a CD key, so there's no check to see if you're running a valid copy or not, even through Gamespy.

I'd recommend buying it eventually though since I enjoyed the hell out of it after disliking it pretty strongly at first.
Cool, downloading GOTY edition right now, what patches/additional crap do I need?

Do I really have to install gamespy?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If you want to do co-op where half the fun is getting your "allies" killed in creative ways, I strongly reccomend Magicka. It's a hoot.

Multi-headed Cow

Hoaxmetal said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
Hoaxmetal said:

Cool, downloading GOTY edition right now, what patches/additional crap do I need?

Do I really have to install gamespy?
GotY edition should be latest patch and all DLC I'm pretty sure. And you won't be installing Gamespy, it uses in-game Gamespy.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Cool, will install it tonight. Guess we all will be starting from level 1, right?

Add norfrit to your skype.

Yeesh

Magister
If this is the repository for Borderlands Coop reviews, let me add mine:

I played all the way through the original campaign with two other friends. We did get through it and had some fun, but interest petered out before we even got far into the first DLC.

I'm not a snob and I enjoy shooting things and collecting loot, but I'd have to say Borderlands counts more as 'fun' than 'a blast'. I don't know if I can really put my finger on it. I suppose the enemies and environments are both a little samey, but as said above so too are the builds and the classes. In addition, there's something fucked up about the fact that you're way more likely to find a weapon upgrade by fucking running around to vending machines than killing bad ass monsters.

In conclusion, as the sort of people who are desperately waiting for Diablo III, we managed to enjoy BL coop for a decent number of hours, but ultimately found the game lacking.

I'd be very interested in hearing some codexian coop impressions from your sessions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom