Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Eurogamer checks in on Obsidian one year after acquisition

Flou

Arbiter
This guy is publicizing his own toothlessness. "Well, they wouldn't talk to me, so *shrug* I guess I can't post anything about it. If I did, they might not invite me to their offices to help advertise their products."

Feargus was correct in betting that Avellone's would-be scandal would just go away on its own. Not juicy enough. It needed tales of coerced foot massages and colorful epithets.

Exactly. Microsoft would blacklist him or their site and their network pretty much immediately. Gaming media is toothless and the journalist who wrote the article is just plain stupid. He should have left that out completely. Now he just makes the article seem awkward and paints himself being bent over for a fucking.

"I wanted a comment but the bad man has not a said a word about it, but here I am sucking his thick cock with foam coming out of my mouth. They noticed my by inviting me over. Oh what a lovely day it is"

jaydee2k

Savant
MCA is a salty fag. I would have fired that pussy too.
Durance and GM were the worst companions by far. So the
firing of his lazy ass was his own fault. Then midlife crisis Avellone
let his dick sucked 200 and what not pages to overcome his lovelornness.

giphy.gif

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure if I'm supposed to hope for success because it's a non AAA microfuckery and could be a good, not RPG game, or hope for its failure so they stick to Fallout New Vegas clones and their RPG roots

selkin

Liturgist
he told USG, with what had to be a knowing grin. "I would love to be a game director again," he said. "I got to do that back on Fallout 2
Maybe my memory went shit in the years, but what exactly Urquhart did on Fallout 2?

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Maybe my memory went shit in the years, but what exactly Urquhart did on Fallout 2?
My bet: nothing.

Scratch that, looks like he did actually contribute something.

For Fallout 2, I ended up being the co-Lead Designer with Matt Norton and the Co-Producer with Eric DeMilt. I worked for about nine months at about 100 hours a week to help get the game done. One of the key things that I designed was the new Companion Control system (the settings you had to define how they acted in combat) including how all the companions could level up. I also designed a couple of the areas, but Chris Avellone was good enough to touch up those areas by completely re-designing them.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20050206045137/http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=9549

selkin

Liturgist
My bet: nothing.

Scratch that, looks like he did actually contribute something.

For Fallout 2, I ended up being the co-Lead Designer with Matt Norton and the Co-Producer with Eric DeMilt. I worked for about nine months at about 100 hours a week to help get the game done. One of the key things that I designed was the new Companion Control system (the settings you had to define how they acted in combat) including how all the companions could level up. I also designed a couple of the areas, but Chris Avellone was good enough to touch up those areas by completely re-designing them.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20050206045137/http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=9549
What does it mean "design"? Did he code things?

Zeriel

Arcane
Seems the drama of Avellone's May of Rage is a bit forgotten.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...game-development-hierarchies-and-more.121588/ 215 pages
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...he-chris-avellone-may-of-rage-archive.121751/ 25 additional pages

At the time, the question of whether the mainstream games media was complicit in a conspiracy to "silence" Chris Avellone's accusations against Obsidian was a huge deal. Now we learn that they have been trying to investigate it and have been stonewalled. Those paragraphs alone make this article worthy of a Codex newspost.

I'm sorry, but I think this is misleading. If you look at news reporting with regards to say, politics, the impetus is, "If we have some dirty info, just print it." So if the gaming media wasn't inclined to cover for companies to maintain their relationships, they would have just printed articles across the board stating that Avellone said this without having any opinion on whether Avellone was right or not. Avellone is a big enough name in the industry that I think it would be fair to just print what he says with caveats that they have no clue if it's true or not.

They didn't do that, and they also have to know that asking Obsidian about it directly is just going to get them stonewalled. If you really think this exculpates the gaming media of favoritism I don't know what to say. It's pretty clear they don't want to rock the boat. Sure, they would print something if they asked Feargus and he outright said, "Yeah, I shredded medical documents. Fuck 'em all." But that's never going to happen, so it's a joke of a statement to say that them pursuing a line of questioning that will never be answered while not reporting on the allegations is in anyway the gaming media being honest.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hey, he just posts news okay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom