Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Europa Barbarorum II released

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Europa Barbarorum II; Medieval II: Total War

M2_TW_Mod_EBII_Logo.png

No, this is not a joke. Europa Barbarorum II, the much anticipated Medieval II: Total War mod which seeks to expand upon the original Rome mod has been released.

A work in progress since 2007, many feared this day would never come.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Did they manage to mod the settlements as well? I wouldn't want to fight in medieval cities next to gigantic churches.

I know they did it for the Celts/Germans and the nomadic people. How about the Greeks and Romans?

Andnjord

Arcane
:necro:

So, has any distinguished gentlemen and gentletranny tried this yet? Is it worth not removing from inventory Medieval II (my old boxed copy is gathering dust 2000km from where I live, no way I'm buying this a second time)?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, they did release an update in september 2014. Guess they're still working on it, albeit with a much reduced group. It does seem that the modding scene for MTW2 is slowly grinding down. Apart from the Russian Warhammer mod I don't think anything big is going on regarding modding.

Andnjord

Arcane
It's been 9 years since the game came out, I'll admit it's a bloody miracle there is still anyone dedicated to this. And with the practically unmodable warscape engine we're saddled with we'll never see the likes of the modding scene of yore. Just look at this http://www.pcgamer.com/10-essential-total-war-mods/#page-2 . Complete overhauls for RTW and MTW2 and what is there for ETW? Period music.

But it seems like you can always count on the Russians to have too much time on their hands.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
RTW and MTW2 are both so moddable because they were left open, where cracked open or parts of the source code somehow got released. The CA of today is having none of that. They may claim to love their modders, but words are nothing if not backed up by action. The action being that they practically shut down their new engine for any attempts at toying around with it.

I'm still hoping some other studio will start making these kind of games. CA has had this niche for themselves too long.

PS: No Stainless Steel and Viking Invasion in that list? Tsk.

Andnjord

Arcane
Has anyone ever attempted doing TW like games before? I vaguely remember some sort Napoleon era game released back in the mid 2000s, but ain't no chance I'd remember its title by now. But that's the thing with long established dominance of niches, it's really freaking hard to crack them. Paradox has had its niche for too long. So has Bethesda and World of Warcraft. As long as the company has enough drooling retards is healthy they just keep it to themselves (look at Gold Box games and their demise: Black Isle moved in and fucking delivered). Any game that tries to get in gets compared ad nauseum to a long refined and polished opponent and never manages to gain momentum (WoW being the prime example).

RTW and MTW2 are both so moddable because they were left open, where cracked open or parts of the source code somehow got released. The CA of today is having none of that. They may claim to love their modders, but words are nothing if not backed up by action. The action being that they practically shut down their new engine for any attempts at toying around with it.
Higher poly count and texture quality would also be to blame for the modding difficulties I'd guess. Do you think they intentionally shut down the Warscape Engine? Or might it have been a byproduct of its different architecture?

PS: No Stainless Steel and Viking Invasion in that list? Tsk.

Hey, it's a PC Gamer article +M

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Methinks they intentionally shut down the engine. It really is cemented up quite nicely. Can't sell DLC if the modders do it for free is my guess.

There have been several games that did something akin to the TW games. The napoleonic game you mentioned is Imperial Glory. It's on steam for a pittance. Heard both good and bad things about it in the day but never tried it myself. There is King Arthur and its sequel. Love the first as a fun combination of rpg, CYOA and TW style game. Knights of Honor has some of the TW semblances (and is pretty good) but is more of a niche in itself. Still, it is pretty neat. There are also the Real Warfare games. I believe commie loved them, although I never tried them. Real Warfare 2 does look an awful lot like MTW2 though, so perhaps I should give it a try. Also look at Takeda 3. It's a Shogun: TW kinda game. I never really got into it but it does have potential.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Methinks they intentionally shut down the engine. It really is cemented up quite nicely. Can't sell DLC if the modders do it for free is my guess.

There have been several games that did something akin to the TW games. The napoleonic game you mentioned is Imperial Glory. It's on steam for a pittance. Heard both good and bad things about it in the day but never tried it myself. There is King Arthur and its sequel. Love the first as a fun combination of rpg, CYOA and TW style game. Knights of Honor has some of the TW semblances (and is pretty good) but is more of a niche in itself. Still, it is pretty neat. There are also the Real Warfare games. I believe commie loved them, although I never tried them. Real Warfare 2 does look an awful lot like MTW2 though, so perhaps I should give it a try. Also look at Takeda 3. It's a Shogun: TW kinda game. I never really got into it but it does have potential.

Yeah, the Real Warfare original games as per canned missions are really good and brutal. Some might start a little to close to the action for some but if you could choose starting point and composition then it would be just another skirmish against AI type of game.

Real Warfare 2 is actually more like King Arthur mixed with the map strategy reminiscent of Mount and Blade, where you are one character moving around the map, raising armies and doing quests, then dropping down into TW style battles when you meet an opponent. AI is more limited when not hand setup(as in all such games) but I enjoyed the various aspects of the game.

Come to it with an open mind as you might enjoy these.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Real Warfare 2 is actually more like King Arthur mixed with the map strategy reminiscent of Mount and Blade, where you are one character moving around the map, raising armies and doing quests, then dropping down into TW style battles when you meet an opponent. AI is more limited when not hand setup(as in all such games) but I enjoyed the various aspects of the game.

Real Warfare 2 looks neat, but also buggy, how was your playthrough?

Beowulf

Arcane
I just checked steam - mine lasted 3,6h.

I think I gave up after some bugs in a first larger enemy siege in the campaign Units stuck on equipment + insane stuttering on modern machine or something like that. Also - the bloom, the bloom
tumblr_kwixb4UXXT1qas5xlo1_500.gif

The game had very good premise - Mount & Blade like map with troop management a'la mercenary company/feudal levies combined with Total War battles in interesting geo-historical setting; but the execution was lacking.
It's not that bad, if I had more time to waste on games I guess I would play longer.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Real Warfare 2 looks neat, but also buggy, how was your playthrough?

Maybe I was bit more forgiving since the idea is indeed great as Beowulf says...and I forgave the standard Russian game flaw of grander ideas not realised properly due to lack of money, time and talent. I didn't even have that many bugs though saving in multiple places is essential. Biggest pain was certain battle setups would always crash, so I'd have to load an earlier game and attack the enemy somewhere else to get by, often in a less optimal way(which actually wa kind of like a handicap setting so not all bad).

Andnjord

Arcane

Thanks for the suggestions Trash :salute: . And I do remember Knights Of Honor back when I was reading the now defunct french magazine PC4War, a magazine entirely dedicated to Strategy Games featuring articles on Dominions, AGOED games, Paradox games... :negative:. Never had the chance to play it thought. I had a look at a few LP's and it still looks pretty neat, might try it some day.

I gather that no one has tried EUB2 then. I guess I'll have to take the plunge and test it for the glory of Codexia at some point.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
I gather that no one has tried EUB2 then.

I did for a short period, Ptolemaic campaign some time ago. It's good enough, with some content missing. Then I read about bugs and things not working properly and decided to wait more development, which may never come. But do test it and post results.
Was it before the last update (2.01 released in September)?

Executr

Cipher
Also look at Takeda 3.

Thanks for the list. I actually did a search about a month ago for TW-similar games and most of these were recommended.

But I can't endorse Takeda 3. They tried to hard copy the Nobunaga's Ambition games by focusing on officers, whilst also including RTS battles. While the overview map strategy layer worked fine and added interesting features like troop supply, the battles were a mess. They tipically ended way to fast (less than a minute) so you it was impossible to properly control the units and who had the generals with best stats would always win unless the morale was too low. You could pause but couldn't give orders while paused and the camera control was overly clunky.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

I did for a short period, Ptolemaic campaign some time ago. It's good enough, with some content missing. Then I read about bugs and things not working properly and decided to wait more development, which may never come. But do test it and post results.

Around that time, not sure. I can check save dates.

lurker3000

Arcane

Around that time, not sure. I can check save dates.

I played this in January with some unofficial updates. Not the most stable game. They aimed so high that all the work will probably be for nothing. Anyway I played the hell out of EB1 back in the day so i will always respect them.

Andnjord

Arcane
Okay bros, acquiring M2TW at the moment, will post my impressions soonish.
I played this in January with some unofficial updates. Not the most stable game. They aimed so high that all the work will probably be for nothing. Anyway I played the hell out of EB1 back in the day so i will always respect them.

Which patches would you recommend then?

EDIT: dayum, just look at that trailer: Can you not feel the hype?!?

Last edited:

lurker3000

Arcane
Okay bros, acquiring M2TW at the moment, will post my impressions soonish.

Which patches would you recommend then?

I just used a couple of WIP patches. One for AI (maybe one for campaign and one for battles) and another one for general fixes (unit recruiting, buildings, an stuff like that). I jut got them from their main forums. Its been 4 months so I can't really remember. If they ever release another official update I will give it another go.

Andnjord

Arcane
I just used a couple of WIP patches. One for AI (maybe one for campaign and one for battles) and another one for general fixes (unit recruiting, buildings, an stuff like that). I jut got them from their main forums. Its been 4 months so I can't really remember. If they ever release another official update I will give it another go.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-quot-fixes-integrated-and-many-other-changes
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...Updated-Pathfinding-Campaign-AI-and-Battle-AI

Got them, cheers!

Andnjord

Arcane
Loading my first campaign as Pergamon. I haven't been this excited to play a CA game since a looooong time (right until the crushing disappointment that was Empire...). Let's pray the bugs won't be too serious.

EDIT: Meine liebe, it werks!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom