Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Higher Game

Arcane
I think there are two main sets of ideas that have a critical mass effect that allows for world domination, the "iron fist" and the "velvet glove" sets that you want to collect as soon as possible for their synergies.

Iron Fist: Basically means taking advantage of the fact that wrestling with someone bigger than you becomes exponentially harder, and the fact that vassal stacks of 50ish regiments might be worth 3x as much as trash mobs of 30ish regiments. Coalitions don't matter because you can spread out anywhere you want and dilute aggressive expansion. These ideas are administrative, influence, religious, and quantity. Administrative means +25% governing capacity, influence means -21% liberty desire in subjects (84 development worth each!), religious offers loads of prestige to placate subjects, and quantity makes you stronger and further able to support larger subjects. You add all this up and it means 5000+ development of states and vassal provinces, top tier real estate, more powerful than everything else as a territory, colony, or trade company combined. No ordinary alliance can stop this combination. In fact, going "full retard" by blasting past the governing capacity limit works perfectly well with this setup, since having so much sheer quality size is worth being universally despised.

Velvet Glove: Means finding a weak point on the map and doubling down on it as much as you want without facing a coalition mob. You make deserts and call it peace before the world figures out what's going on. These ideas are humanism, diplomacy, espionage, and innovative. They're the ideas with the most improve relations and aggressive expansion impact reduction possible. Add them all up and you almost have a blank check for conquest, if you're strong enough to cash it. Maybe mercenaries and a couple strategic bankruptcies are the key to making this one work, because it can be a slow starter, but it finishes strong. It needs a little extra help in the beginning, in the early 17th century.

I am starting to lean towards Iron Fist because I am starting to see just how massive you can make vassals before they get rebellious, and how much better they are than territory map painting. They're like your left arm, while states are your right. Colonies and trade companies and territories are just your gut, not doing much by themselves.

I suspect optimized play means picking one of these sets and then taking as many military ideas as possible. They both play very differently, but military ideas are always nice to have.

Mikeal

Arcane
wDFbLPR.jpeg

'tis Holy, Roman and Empire.

as austria? that's a pretty poor blobbing you got there. you're supposed to get the whole central europe as bare minimum. everything east are just sitting ducks. you didn't even shatter france, your main (and perhaps only) opponent. even worse, it appears you conquered the papacy, your main source of... everything. you're definitely not holy nor roman, and barely empire.

Ocelot

Learned
Did a random new world Austria/HRE run some time ago. Very interesting run, even though Austria never became a colonial power. Major powers were the HRE and Ming.

McqUr6w.png

Mikeal

Arcane
as austria? that's a pretty poor blobbing you got there. you're supposed to get the whole central europe as bare minimum. everything east are just sitting ducks. you didn't even shatter france, your main (and perhaps only) opponent. even worse, it appears you conquered the papacy, your main source of... everything. you're definitely not holy nor roman, and barely empire.

One excomunication to many. And Frenchies somehow are my BFF.

but by befriending the papacy you get to excommunicate (thus isolate, gangbang, curbstomp and conquer) any strong opponent of your choice. up to 1600, who controls the pope controls the universe. the pope must flow.

Vatnik Wumao
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/eu4-development-diary-12th-of-january-2021.1452146/
After a few weeks without Dev Diaries, I am happy to present you a new one. I hope you all had a great time during them!

When I joined Paradox in October, Polynesia was not included in this Expansion. Considering it was the last part of the Earth without representation, I thought it would be nice to have some work done on it, so I proposed some ideas that I am happy to share with you all.

But, before I start, I would like to thank @Meka66 for his help and work that has greatly inspired me for this project.

THE MAP

The map has been slightly changed, since the basic needed setup was already there. However, in order to go a bit deeper, a few provinces have been added here and there. Do note that the flags are still a placeholder and not the final result.

Starting with Fiji, the archipelago has been divided in three provinces: one for each big island (Viti Levu and Vanua Levu) and a third one for the Lau archipelago that had a great influence from Tonga. Each province has a country inhabiting it, which is an abstraction of the many clans that populated each island. Should you unite them all under your banner, you will be able to form Viti.

Fiji%20Archipelago.png

[Fiji Archipelago and TAGs]

In New Zealand a new province has been added in North Island which has the most populated one by the Maori people. The number of countries, though, goes up to 7. Six of them (Mataatua, Tainui, Takitimu, Taranaki, Te Arawa and Te Tai Tokerau) are in the Northern Island and Waitaha is in the Southern One. As in the case of Fiji, a Maori country that manages to unite the area is able to form Aotearoa.

New%20Zealand%20Archipelago.png

[New Zealand Archipelago and TAGs]

Finally, the greatest transformation has been done in the Hawaiian Archipelago, that has gone from one province to four. Each province has their own country attached (Hawai’i, Kaua’i, Maui and O’ahu). As in the other cases, there is a formable for the unifiers of the islands.

Hawaii%20Archipelago.png

[Hawaii Archipelago and TAGs]

A Polynesian rework could not let the two most important countries out: Samoa and Tonga.

Samoa%20&%20Tonga%20Archipelago.png

[Samoan and Tongan Archipelagos and TAGs]

THE MISSIONS

As in the case of the Americas, the mission tree consists of a general common mission tree for every country and some specific missions for each country or group of them.

Tongan%20Mission%20Tree.png

[Tonga Mission Tree]

(Notice that all icons are still placeholders)

Tonga is probably the most important TAG during this period. Despite the fact that the Tongan Empire is no more, a skillful player could rebuild it, bringing not only the neighboring islands under the control of Tongatapu, but go even further.

Some highlights of this tree include:

Bringing both Fiji and Samoa under your control again.

Recovering the Tongan Empire.

Expand even further.

Samoan%20Mission%20Tree.png

[Samoan Mission Tree]

(Notice that all icons are still placeholders).

If Tonga was the political power during the period, Samoa was the cultural one. Most of the Pacific was colonized from there and from there were most of the traditions that ruled the lives of the Polynesians.

Some highlights of this tree include:

Recover the place as the cultural center.

Challenge Tonga.

Replace Tonga as the main power in the Pacific.

In order to not spoil the surprise, I will let you discover what the missions for the Maori the Fijian and the Hawaiian countries consist of.

THE NATIONAL IDEAS

Adding new TAGs would not be the same if they were not accompanied by their National Ideas.

Starting with the Fijians TAGs, their warring nature brought them a reputation of ruthless combatants, feared by everyone. But Fijians were also deeply religious people and famous shipbuilding artisans. All these things are represented in their National Ideas, making them a rather expansionist set.

Code:
fijian_ideas = {
start = {
light_ship_power = 0.1
naval_attrition = -0.1
}

bonus = {
ae_impact = -0.2
}

trigger = {
OR = {
tag = LAI
tag = VIL
#TODO: tag = VIT
tag = VNL
}
}
free = yes

fijian_crossroad = {
num_accepted_cultures = 2
}
fijian_degel = {
range = 0.1
global_ship_trade_power = 0.1
}
fijian_conjoined = {
global_missionary_strength = 0.02
}
fijian_waqa = {
prestige_from_naval = 0.4
}
fijian_cannibal = {
army_tradition_from_battle = 0.25
prestige_from_land = 0.4
}
fijian_kai = {
land_attrition = -0.25
}
fijian_confederacy = {
global_tax_modifier = 0.05
production_efficiency = 0.05
}
}
[Fijian National Ideas]

As in the case of the Fijians, the Maori are famed for their bravery and constant warfare. Their set of ideas is focused on land combat, without disregarding ways to keep the land around a strong leader.

Code:
maori_ideas = {
start = {
global_regiment_recruit_speed = -0.10
harsh_treatment_cost = -0.20
}

bonus = {
prestige = 1
}

trigger = {
primary_culture = maori
}
free = yes

sons_of_kupe = {
global_sailors_modifier = 0.10
range = 0.10
}
kaikiakitanga = {
tolerance_own = 1
}
kaumatua = {
stability_cost_modifier = -0.20
}
kapa_haka = {
land_morale = 0.10
}
pa_defence = {
fort_maintenance_modifier = -0.10
}
te_moko = {
leader_land_shock = 1
}
maori_king = {
core_creation = -0.10
legitimacy = 1
}
}
[Maori National Ideas]

As with the missions, we’d better not spoil the surprise by showing everything, am I right? I have a challenge for those that love them: try a world conquest with a Polynesian TAG! There are a couple of things in this area that could help you in that adventure.

THE EVENTS

Events are one of the parts I like the most. While not as much time as I would have liked has been available, I have added more than 40 events to the area, including general events, specific Country events and even a few Easter eggs that I hope you can find and enjoy!

Fiji%20Event.png

Practice is what makes you a good warrior, after all.

(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).
Hawaii%20Event.png

This event can be very nasty if you are in a very bad shape.

(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).​

Samoan%20Event.png

As Samoa, you will be given the choice to reform your society a bit or go on with the traditions with every ruler.
(Notice that all pictures are still placeholders).​

THE EXTRAS
There are a few things that have been added in order to create a bigger sense of immersion.

Maori culture has been created, separated from the main Polynesian branch. By the start of the game, the Maori were abandoning the Archaic Maori Period and entering a transformation one. The Iwi became more sedentary and their once pacific nature became more warlike as competition for resources becomes more central. New traditions had evolved by this time that justifies separating them from their islander cousins.

A new Polynesian technology group has been created. This technology group is between that of the Mesoamericans and the North Americans in penalty, but starts at tech 2.

Most Estates have been renamed to their proper versions to increase the flavor.

And some extra surprises here and there.

For now this is all. We still have lots of things to show, so just be patient and enjoy the time in between, everything will come!

Last edited:

Higher Game

Arcane
"Slacken recruiting standards" is basically the loan of manpower, the most important mechanic for maxing out that bottleneck. Loans and slacking are how you get all the money and men you need, and for certain countries it makes offensive ideas better than quantity. Besides aggressive expansion reduction, I'm starting to think siege ability might be the most important limiting factor for fast expansion. It can't really be faked by anything, as artillery barrage is just terrible compared to getting more generals, slacking, or rushing a tech ahead. And for some reason sieges are prized so much more than battlefield wins, that it makes the game feel more medieval than modern. Hmm. +M

I see that only Afghanistan has a general cost reduction as a national idea. Interesting.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It took a few tries to get off the ground but it seems i finally learned the lessons of hemmingstedt!
BjWQnZt.jpg

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Just had what I thought was a pretty good run as the Teutonic order, going for the Baltic crusader achievement. I had taken the Baltics, most of pommerania and had vassalised a fairly Large Novgorod and beaten Muscovy in an initial war taking back land for Novgorod.

Then Austria, my ally, inherited Burgundy and all of the lowlands and proceeded to bitch slap France in three quick successive wars eating it up. Austria was at this point by far the most Powerful nation in the world and then they managed to ally Spain and formed a fucking personal union with Muscovy after which they broke their alliance with me and rivalled me!

Jesus fucking Christ.

Starting over as Ethiopia and making an attempt at getting the Coptic achievements.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just had what I thought was a pretty good run as the Teutonic order, going for the Baltic crusader achievement. I had taken the Baltics, most of pommerania and had vassalised a fairly Large Novgorod and beaten Muscovy in an initial war taking back land for Novgorod.

Then Austria, my ally, inherited Burgundy and all of the lowlands and proceeded to bitch slap France in three quick successive wars eating it up. Austria was at this point by far the most Powerful nation in the world and then they managed to ally Spain and formed a fucking personal union with Muscovy after which they broke their alliance with me and rivalled me!

Jesus fucking Christ.

Starting over as Ethiopia and making an attempt at getting the Coptic achievements.

Why? Austria has no army bonuses at all. Imo once you survive the beginning stage the game becomes to easy if you have the right Idea Sets picked.

Go ally the Otto's or something. 1 good war against the Austrians you can really ruin their world by releasing bunch of Nations, etc.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Jesus fucking Christ.

Why? Austria has no army bonuses at all. Imo once you survive the beginning stage the game becomes to easy if you have the right Idea Sets picked.

Go ally the Otto's or something. 1 good war against the Austrians you can really ruin their world by releasing bunch of Nations, etc.

Austria alone had about double the army me and the Ottos had together, then there was Spain. My ideas were geared towards converting Russia, not breaking apart a mostly unified Europe.

I could possibly break them apart and win that war but I'm not good at the game and that would take far more time than I would like if I would even succeed.

Vatnik Wumao
Finished consolidating my position in the Western Balkans. Guess I'll maintain the alliance with Austria, focus on internal development and wait for an opportunity to expand southwards into Ottoman lands.

HrhHUtS.jpg

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
This is where i'm at with my current campaign:
5Sahhms.jpg

Started with blitzing most of the horn of Africa. Got religious and exploration and managed to grab the cape before europeans got there. Almost lost it all when i attacked the mamluks when the ottomans declared their first war on them. The mamluks peaced out the ottomans fast and started fucking me. Got an Alliance with the Ottos after that and won a war taking both Cairo and Alexandria (fucking over the ottomans so bad they almost broke our alliance).

Should probably be fine now since i solidified my position in egypt and can expand into Mutapa and the gold mines there. Only a question of time before the Ottos turn their gaze upon me though..

Vatnik Wumao
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...athan-gives-more-development-options.1455879/
Focus Your Power in New EU4 Expansion - Leviathan Gives More Development Options

Picture a capital city that shines like a gemstone, improved by the wealth drawn from the hinterland - decorated by riches demanded from vassals. A capital not of a mighty territorial empire, but of a compact and concentrated state that can still use gold and favors to influence neighbors and rivals. Picture it and then make it so in Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan.

Leviathan is the newest expansion to Paradox’s flagship grand strategy game about the early modern world. Leviathan offers new tools that allow you to play “tall” with smaller and more focused realms with a few centers of power. It also has a host of other changes to well-established game features like Regencies and Colonies.

Among other things, Leviathan gives you new ways to quickly develop your capital, drawing resources and power from vassals or newly conquered territories, and allows you to build beyond your province’s construction limit if you are willing to pay the price.

Europa Universalis IV: Leviathan will be accompanied by a major free update that reworks the Southeast Asian and Australasian maps, with new nations, new cultures and new religions. This fascinating region of powerful monarchs and rich merchants takes on new color and offers new ways to play.

Release Date and Price will be communicated later.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:hmmm:
It looks like a pointless and retarded DLC. More balance shit that makes every nation feel the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom