Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
FOR FUCKS SAKE PARADOX! WERE YOU NOT CONTENT WITH BREAKING ONE OF MY CAMPAIGNS BUT NOW HAD TO GO AND BREAK A SECOND?!

Jesus Christ, just as I had a gotten a good start with Granada.. I think I'm taking a break from Eu4 for a while until things seen to be stable again.
A new player ahhh,i feel for you. Just pirate the game,no way to break it that way lol.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Do they want to replace all savages with random tribal shit and remove colonization or what?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
FOR FUCKS SAKE PARADOX! WERE YOU NOT CONTENT WITH BREAKING ONE OF MY CAMPAIGNS BUT NOW HAD TO GO AND BREAK A SECOND?!

Jesus Christ, just as I had a gotten a good start with Granada.. I think I'm taking a break from Eu4 for a while until things seen to be stable again.
Never update the game if you care about the campaign you are playing. Updates always break things up.

thesecret1

Arcane
Do they want to replace all savages with random tribal shit and remove colonization or what?
Just create USA in 1520 by quickly blitzkrieging the 50 small tribes of injuns on the eastern coast, achieve manifest destiny by 1540. Clearly, the colonizers were idiots with how long it took them to colonize stuff – just send in like 10k troops and you have an empire of the entirety of north America within 20 years, maybe sooner. Why people didn't do this will forever be a mystery.

t. Paradox

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I wouldn't put it that way, but creaming yourself over the "great history of the aboriginal peoples of Australia" is pretty fucking ludicrous.

I don't particularly care about playing as one of those OPMs and the whole point of what I said was that they didn't make the common error of furthering a myth that the people indigenous to so-called "Australia" were culturally a monolith -- that's what I was praising, and it's a sheer matter of geography. People across such a vast land don't magically all end up the same no matter what modern identity politics (on both sides) would mislead you to believe. If you want something to actually pick a dumb fight about, then Maori culture and history is something we have that wasn't so hideously erased and remains rad as heck.

Abstractions that make sense, are worthwhile, and free can only be a positive. What was actually stupid was having all of pre-colonial Aus be an untouched and culturally uniform blob, with much the same for wider Oceania and Polynesia. I swear to god you guys are so up your own asses in terms of seeing everything as a a reactive woke political move that you can't appreciate a simulation being given real depth, inasmuch as it would be stupid to have Imperator start with everything from Massilia and Rome to Alexandria and Antioch with the exact same culture for all of it just because of the shared religious heritages.

To actually be political about it: if you know what Leviathan is, then it would be absurd for them to have amped up every peoples yet outside the death cult that is the wurm , the beast, but lazily just pass over the people furthest from western civilisation.

And to pre-empt the inevitable whinge about resources being better spent elsewhere, I'm just going to quote someone else from their forum:
Paradox hires content designers because without them it doesn't actually have a game, just an engine without any actual countries, events, or any of the other essentials that make the game Europa Universalis rather than a piece of software.

Given that learning to content design for those games is actually a pretty massive learning curve, one might presume that they'd rather have content designers working on side projects during lulls rather than firing-and-hiring as needed and praying the new people catch up quickly to the skills of the one you just let go.

And that's not even considering the fact that it's been explicitly said that a good part of the new content in past DDs wasn't done on paid hours - it was pet projects that various people worked on in their free time. Which paradox has precisely zero say in how they use - they either take the content created that way, or they don't. I'm not saying this particular addition was done on free time (I have no idea whether or not it was), but the fact remains relevant in general.

Finally, if they were to wait until everyone was satisfied with Europe before touching anywhere else, they'd never do anything else. There will always be more to add in Europe - I mean, CK kinda proves that - and always people to ask for that to be added.

'Pet projects' is how we got the Iron Century bookmark in CK2, easily one of the best updates the game ever got. I don't have the energy to try to make strangers respect the impact of colonialism on aboriginal peoples anymore than I've time to teach KKK members why IQ is a flawed measure and an embarrassment to the one espousing it, but hell, if you're going to complain, let it be about the shiit they're charging you for, not the free updates that are actually passion projects by peoprle far more intimate with the relevant source material than anyone trying to play critic. (And let's be real, you're not paying for Leviathan either way, so why should they appeal to your own warped and edgelord-y renditions of history to begin with?

thesecret1

Arcane
if you're going to complain, let it be about the shiit they're charging you for, not the free updates that are actually passion projects by peoprle far more intimate with the relevant source material than anyone trying to play critic.
Adding more tribals, with EU4s current mechanics, just means the place is going to get blitzed by whoever finds the place first as conquering tribals takes less time than sailing the army to get there, all without having to send any colonists (and this is important as it means he can use those colonists elsewhere while grabbing practically all of New Zealand and a chunk of Australia without having to spend any time or resources on it). This "pet project" (assuming that I believe for event half a second that PR spin parashit is putting on is true) is making the game worse! I have nothing against being autistic about various mini tribes and what not, but not when the current mechanics of the game aren't built for any such thing. Bring back EU3's horde colonization mechanic and then we can talk, but don't sell me further damage to the already shitty balance of the game as some great new feature to be excited about.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
If you want something to actually pick a dumb fight about, then Maori culture and history is something we have that wasn't so hideously erased and remains rad as heck.

They’re almost as poorly suited to a larger role in EU as they were to one in real life. What about the Maori is so ‘rad’ that would show up in game? Gaining mana every time your ruler eats the heart of one of the neighboring pacifists? World conquest via cannibalism?

All in place of expanding mechanics central to the game, settlement and colonization. Anything but that.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
This "pet project" (assuming that I believe for event half a second that PR spin parashit is putting on is true) is making the game worse! I have nothing against being autistic about various mini tribes and what not, but not when the current mechanics of the game aren't built for any such thing. Bring back EU3's horde colonization mechanic and then we can talk, but don't sell me further damage to the already shitty balance of the game as some great new feature to be excited about.

It is a pet project, it's a part of how tech companies trick their employees into making them shit far beyond their paygrade.

I would agree if Aus was absolutely saturated with OPMs, but it isn't. The only maps with "full coverage" are the religion and culture maps, the political maps are blips, akin to the situation in SA. (And reforming the shit pre-civ mechanics is a huge part of what this update is meant to be about, no? I don't have faith in Johan not making a mess of it, but having that cultural map screenshot shows they're actually giving a fuck and not pulling something equivalent to labelling everything in the HRE simply "German".)

What about the Maori is so ‘rad’ that would show up in game?

What's 'rad' about the Maori is that they fucking survived. I have no idea where you are from, but the different outcomes experlienced by Maori and Aboriginal people is huge; it's always been an extreme oddity the former had no real expression in EU4. History would be very different for NZ if its indigenous populace didn't put up such a huge fight.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
What's 'rad' about the Maori is that they fucking survived. I have no idea where you are from, but the different outcomes experlienced by Maori and Aboriginal people is huge; it's always been an extreme oddity the former had no real expression in EU4. History would be very different for NZ if its indigenous populace didn't put up such a huge fight.

Nice try, I’ve lived in Australia and New Zealand and the Maori are not significantly different than the red indians anywhere else. Their big moment, the treaty of Waitangi, was signed because the British wanted to keep the French out of New Zealand, not because of incredible native ‘resistance’. And they went on to essentially a total defeat after the Maori wars in the 1800s, just like everyone else.

And EU4 is set up to depict absolutely none of this, so instead you’ll get King Kannibal eating his way through Japan.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:deathclaw:
Sooo the best thing about their culture was that the british needed slaves and didn't exterminate them....informative.
pls don’t b edge lord Fanta I don’t want to be mean to you
:lol:
A bit of spicy banter is fun to anyone lol. Also i was born edgy,i got me edgy tag in the first week of joining :smug:.

That said,your post is not an argument about how stone savages are relevant in any way. Also what did they survived? The british?! LoL the enlgish even tolerate the scottish,those fucks can't kill another culture even if their existence depends on it.

Red Hexapus

Learned

Can't you revert to a previous game patch? On Steam you just right-click EU4 > Properties > Betas and there you can choose the earlier one. It should let you play your campaign again from what I recall.
I think you also need to switch off automatic updates, but I haven't done that in a while so I'm not sure.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Can't you revert to a previous game patch? On Steam you just right-click EU4 > Properties > Betas and there you can choose the earlier one. It should let you play your campaign again from what I recall.
I think you also need to switch off automatic updates, but I haven't done that in a while so I'm not sure.

No, because they don't allow reverting to the new patch they pulled and I accidentally played on the old patch, overwriting my savegame.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Usually when a new patch breaks a save then it's gone for good, especially when they touch the world map.

Red Hexapus

Learned

No, because they don't allow reverting to the new patch they pulled and I accidentally played on the old patch, overwriting my savegame.
Sorry to hear that - I sincerely feel for you :(

Last edited:
So I had an itch to play EU4 again - I pick East Frisia with the usual expectations and results - become a trading powerhouse and unite Netherlands. It's 1580/90 or so, I've won a war against Austria, England and France each, so I'm like, ok, let's focus on the mission tree for a bit for the sake of roleplaying aspect. Naturally, this meant going for southern Asia and forming Dutch India. Ok sure, I load up a fleet of 10 heavy, 10 light and 15 transport ships, assign my mission-granted explorer with ridiculously high stats, I put some troops on with equally worthwhile land general and I'm confident it'll be enough, considering my prior instance of colonizing and warring against distant non-European states goes back to pre development/pre institutions period of EU4.

I make a pit stop at Madagascar (Owned by my Spanish allies), and I'm ready to get my chunk of pooland. Luckily, it wasn't united yet so I go for the weakest of the three nations - the one holding Shri Lanka. I disembark, get absolutely rekt by a stack of like 20, favorable terrain, rolls and all, get my fleet wrecked as well so I'm like "what gives"? That's when it hits me - despite me being 100% ahead in tech to my neighbors, during the very first years of global trade institution kicking in, the fucking shitstain of a state in pooland managed to reach JUST ONE tech level behind me.

I immediately quit and uninstall. My immersion was ruined and my disappointment immeasurable. Only now do I recall that some people kept shitting on Paradox some time back about institutions elevating non-Europe far too much. Worst of all - knowing Paradox, there was a political agenda behind it. Because God forbid that POC are discriminated against by being presented as inferior to the European man.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
The last time I played MEIOU(and so EU4)the Renaissance, all the ‘institutions’ kept developing in China, India, anywhere except Europe. Their forum was full of booger-eating wannabe academics applauding, naturally.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who would win?

An army of 10k men armed with muskets, cannons, and heavy cavalry with steel breastplates and lances
or
A bunch of guys with pointy sticks who wear the modern plot armor of black skin?

Mikeal

Arcane
So I had an itch to play EU4 again - I pick East Frisia with the usual expectations and results - become a trading powerhouse and unite Netherlands. It's 1580/90 or so, I've won a war against Austria, England and France each, so I'm like, ok, let's focus on the mission tree for a bit for the sake of roleplaying aspect. Naturally, this meant going for southern Asia and forming Dutch India. Ok sure, I load up a fleet of 10 heavy, 10 light and 15 transport ships, assign my mission-granted explorer with ridiculously high stats, I put some troops on with equally worthwhile land general and I'm confident it'll be enough, considering my prior instance of colonizing and warring against distant non-European states goes back to pre development/pre institutions period of EU4.

I make a pit stop at Madagascar (Owned by my Spanish allies), and I'm ready to get my chunk of pooland. Luckily, it wasn't united yet so I go for the weakest of the three nations - the one holding Shri Lanka. I disembark, get absolutely rekt by a stack of like 20, favorable terrain, rolls and all, get my fleet wrecked as well so I'm like "what gives"? That's when it hits me - despite me being 100% ahead in tech to my neighbors, during the very first years of global trade institution kicking in, the fucking shitstain of a state in pooland managed to reach JUST ONE tech level behind me.

I immediately quit and uninstall. My immersion was ruined and my disappointment immeasurable. Only now do I recall that some people kept shitting on Paradox some time back about institutions elevating non-Europe far too much. Worst of all - knowing Paradox, there was a political agenda behind it. Because God forbid that POC are discriminated against by being presented as inferior to the European man.

Lol same in my last Aragon game. Manufactory somehow spawned in Central Africa and Enlightment in Tunisia.

The last time I played MEIOU(and so EU4)the Renaissance, all the ‘institutions’ kept developing in China, India, anywhere except Europe. Their forum was full of booger-eating wannabe academics applauding, naturally.
Speaking of, I tossed a lil glance at reddit looking for similar criticism.
Holy shit, these people
TtoSctv.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Establishing a colony just means you have permanent infraestructure and some people in place. It doesn't mean that all the natives are gone and part of your land. Just because you have a thousand portuguese dudes in Belém, it doesn't mean that the ten thousand Tupinambás over there will drop being pagan tupinambas and suddenly become nice little portuguese catholics.
This is rooted in the inherently flawed way in which EU4 handles cultures and religions. It's strictly binary. Either the province is fully inhabited by catholic spaniards, or it is chock full of amazonian savages, and nothing in between. They could at least set it up as percentages or something (like fresh colony - 10% spaniards, 90% natives. Then you ship in more people, it goes to 70% spaniards, 30% natives or something along those lines). Hell, most of this shit is already done in mods, like Dei Gratia straight up tracks all the religions in a province by percentage, and MEIOU at least gradually converts foreign culture to yours over a period of decades, also by percentage, and you can check that progress at any time. So EU4 CAN handle systems like these, but Paradox would first need to actually care about bettering its core mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom