Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still can't figure out what -200% damage means though. Does that mean shooting arrows at the enemy heals them?
My guess would be that a malus is so big in order to offset other potential bonuses.

Like 100% +40% +20% +60% -200% = 20%

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I would say ditto on CK3, since I'd say CK model of warfare is EVEN WORSE than the EU and Victoria one, in large part because of how tremendously asinine the levy system in them is.

The levy system and mercs system in CK2 at least resembles something that existed in real life. EU4 is absolute clusterfuck in this regard. In EU4 game should also begun with levies, which should become obsolete in mid 1500s, continue with mercenaries, and end up with regular armies which shouldn't even be possible to raise before late 1600s.

I still can't figure out what -200% damage means though. Does that mean shooting arrows at the enemy heals them?
My guess would be that a malus is so big in order to offset other potential bonuses.

Like 100% +40% +20% +60% -200% = 20%

Oh no, someone might max their tech and cultural buildings and end up with only a -80% penalty to archers or something. Paradox should fix this exploit, archers are supposed to stand around doing nothing but getting killed when you roll a non-archer tactic.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I would say ditto on CK3, since I'd say CK model of warfare is EVEN WORSE than the EU and Victoria one, in large part because of how tremendously asinine the levy system in them is.

What?

EU4 has retarded squares system, 1k artillery, plenty of other dumb shit.

CK2 even has a better merc and manpower model than EU4.

CK2's problem is the awful tactic system. Armies unit types randomly flip between -200% damage (what the fuck this even means I don't know) to +200% damage based on arcane bullshit. If you deleted CK2's tactics and inserted HoI's you'd have an excellent system.
The way levies are raised and built is retarded, it's literally the worst possible iteration of the Pdox non-HoI system as it contains self-defeating complexity in its units, buildings and tactics synergy; and busywork when you herd stacks.

The crux in why CK2's system is way more retarded than EU4's is that it doesn't have merely three types of unit, it has nine. And you have only limited control over this composition since ultimately you need numbers above all else, and the way this is counter-productive is highlighted by the retinue system.

It should follow Nobunaga's example and have for example one demesne = one stack, stack fusion disallowed, mercs hired either into demesne stack or as additional stacks, remove all unit types and instead have equipment ratios for the stack, restrict commanders to demesne only, and attrition based on supplies of the stack rather than province.

Though the fundamental problem is still that there's too much freedom of movement and battles take place in one province instead of the edge between provinces, the attrition model sucks, and the battles are too heavily driven by numbers (of men, commanders, and terrain) in the dogpile. Your ability to affect the battle ends the moment the dogpile begins. Though CK has a second equally bad problem in regards to economics and building than EU4 has, since there's even less control you have over things and even more waiting.

Welcome all to today’s dev diary, where I’ll be covering the long-awaited Iberian and North African map update coming in the 1.28 ‘Spain’ update.

index.php

Nations released for the sake of example

As things currently stand, though as always things are subject to change before release, Iberia consists of 571 development over 63 provinces. This includes the Macaronesia area but now excludes Labourd, which has been returned to the French region.

In Aragon, the distinction between the Kingdom of Aragon, the Kingdom of Valencia, and the Principality of Catalonia has become more pronounced. Tarragona is now rightly in the Catalonia area, and the province of Valencia has been split so that Castello and Xativa have become separate provinces. Valencia itself has the potential to be a very rich city indeed, as the player’s actions can lead to it becoming a major producer of silk. The three major Balearic Islands have become provinces in and of themselves, linked together by a strait and comprising their own Area.

Likewise, Galicia has seen itself grow from 1 province to 4, and now has an Area all to itself.

Portugal and Granada have been gifted one additional province each: Aveiro and Malaga respectively.

Last but not least, many citizens of Navarra are looking a little confused as they wonder where their coastline has gone. Wedged between major powers and with no immediate means of escape over the ocean, Navarra will be a very challenging nation in 1.28.

New releasable nations:

Valencia: The Kingdom of Valencia was a major constituent part of the Crown of Aragon in 1444. In 1.28 the former kingdom of El Cid will be a releasable nation.

Asturias: The Kingdom of Asturias ceased to exist long before our start date, but it nicely fills the absence of releasable nations in the region.

index.php

I’ve also taken another look at North Africa. Here we can see several new provinces along the coast, including those belonging to new nations that can emerge during the game.

The province of Demnate allows a route through the Atlas mountains; a convenient shortcut and potentially a deadly choke-point.

The Canary Islands have been split between Gran Canaria and Tenerife to represent the somewhat incomplete Castilian conquest and colonization of the islands.

For the masochists among you who play as Granada, they now have a core on the province on Ceuta.

New releasable nations:

Salé and Tétouan: Home to some of the most infamous Barbary Pirates, these nations will be releasable in 1444, and may emerge dynamically in the course of the game in the style of Habsan.

index.php

Finally, I’ve made some minor changes to the eastern Maghreb. The province of Kairwan has been added for Tunis, and the addition of Sabha has allowed a more aesthetic redrawing of Fezzan’s borders.

That’s all for today. Next week, @Groogy will reveal some of the new features coming in the as yet unnamed Immersion pack to be released alongside 1.28.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
why niggers have technology in this game? also the fucking congoid cannons in 16th century is a sight to behold, straight out of da hood

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
why niggers have technology in this game? also the fucking congoid cannons in 16th century is a sight to behold, straight out of da hood
Because there is no longer a tech difference and every group is equally advanced. The gave become really boring this days,the fun of making a glorious 5 tech behind horde of niggers and conquer the world is gone.Now every game is the same,dev push tech ,kill everyone.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because there is no longer a tech difference and every group is equally advanced. The gave become really boring this days,the fun of making a glorious 5 tech behind horde of niggers and conquer the world is gone.Now every game is the same,dev push tech ,kill everyone.
That's not how it works.
Afaik, the different groups advance at roughly the same speed, yes, but their actual strength is radically different.
It is possible to find some Native Americans with tech level 30 during the times of colonization. But the thing is that their tech level 30 completely sucks compared to those of the Europeans.

The effect is exactly the same as it was before, the only difference is that now you get some more things to do as a lesser developed country instead of having to wait forever for everything.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That's not how it works.
Afaik, the different groups advance at roughly the same speed, yes, but their actually strength is radically different.
It is possible to find some Native Americans with tech level 30 during the times of colonization. But the thing is that their tech level 30 completely sucks compared to those of the Europeans.

The effect is exactly the same as it was before, the only difference is that now you get some more things to do as a lesser developed country instead of having to wait forever for everything.
Nobody cares about native american tribes,americas are dead continents. The late game is the same shit,everyone have equal mil levels and their units are more or less the same. Only difference is the moral and discipline that people get from ideas and policies. Everything else is irrelevant. The game is made/balanced with multi in mind because that is how paradox test it. The fat fuck johan plays an x nation,gets beaten in to the ground because he is shit at the game,then he buffs that country and nurfs the country that beat him. The old tech system was a lot better than this retarded shit. Now you have every nation being on the same level,that have nothing in common with historical accuracy. Maybe if they removed dev pushing it will be better,it is retarded idea anyway.
Oh look they invented the printing press in a country that i have never heard of a few thousand kilometres away from us.Ok,lets just improve our capital a tad bit in a day and we will get magical printing press teleported to us!

Yeah its a bit weird to play Portugal and go out into the world and see every other band of non-europeans being at your tech level or even above. At best, a five-tech difference.

I don't mind the odd "African Meiji" because that's pretty cool, but not most of Africa being barely behind me despite the fact I have ships going to and fro the entire world, Universities and am the most rich nation in the world, while those primitives only know there is a "rest of the world" because my traders told them so in a tavern while haggling for slaves.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Wouldn't hurt if native tribes had an option to buy weapons in late or even mid-game if they can reach big centers of trade in which europeans are present.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's kind of inevitable if you want to have any semblance of balance given the tech system (which as I've alluded before is far from ideal) and the ability to ship potentially hundreds of thousands of troops to the other side of the world. If there was some means to make wars more local due to harsh logistical challenges, it'd certainly allow for more differentiated regional world and definately for more emphasis on trade rather than map-painting.

Total separation of technology and units in favour of weapons being trade goods would be a good start.

That's not how it works.
Afaik, the different groups advance at roughly the same speed, yes, but their actually strength is radically different.

That used to be the case back in EU3 and very early EU4 (hence why you could westernize your unit types along with your tech group). Nowadays they've been "balanced", meaning the effective difference at most tech levels is very small. For the most part the relative power levels just jump around randomly and western is actually behind most of the game. Unless you play to the end date (which is only for absolutely degenerate blobbing, hence not something I expect most people do), western is actually one of the worse groups. Though even still the gap is never huge, the largest disparity tends to be 2 pips which is worth roughly a single pip from a general.

Infantry_pips.png

"high american" is the sunset invasion meme FYI. You can see Native American actually has better units than western until tech 12... at which point they are back ahead again very quickly, only dropping behind around 1650.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
f you want to have any semblance of balance
Balance have no place in such games! It is a fucking singleplayer conquest simulator. Also it should represent history and be accurate to it. People were buying those games because of it,not for the multi. Older paradox games were historically accurate to an extend,even EU4 was at release. But now all of their games have become the same pile of boring shit,sand box type of games. There is no challenge and no satisfaction. Before those changes i was enjoying easter countries because of the handicap that they had,it was an accomplishment to restore the mongol empire without westernization or government reforms. Now all the difficulty comes from managing AE and breaking alliances. The game feel samy and repetitive in a bad way.

Tigranes

Arcane
If only shipping 500k troops over the Atlantic cost you 500k gold, and then you land them and over half of them die of the plague.

But no, you conquer a province, disband them, and they all take individual flights back home to Heathrow.

If only shipping 500k troops over the Atlantic cost you 500k gold, and then you land them and over half of them die of the plague.

But no, you conquer a province, disband them, and they all take individual flights back home to Heathrow.

I think you meant hire 500k mercenaries overnight from a single overseas province, entirely loyal to you, ready to die to the last man, and with an infinite number of clones ready to replace them. Because that's how history worked. Of course you pay for them with the money you get because trade magically blows money towards Europe from all of Africa/Asia/America, for no particular reason.

f you want to have any semblance of balance
Balance have no place in such games! It is a fucking singleplayer conquest simulator. Also it should represent history and be accurate to it. People were buying those games because of it,not for the multi. Older paradox games were historically accurate to an extend,even EU4 was at release. But now all of their games have become the same pile of boring shit,sand box type of games. There is no challenge and no satisfaction. Before those changes i was enjoying easter countries because of the handicap that they had,it was an accomplishment to restore the mongol empire without westernization or government reforms. Now all the difficulty comes from managing AE and breaking alliances. The game feel samy and repetitive in a bad way.

No mate, EU4 is a very serious competitive MP experience nowadays. Everything has to be balanced for their office MP games. Their marketing team is sure that it will only be a matter of time before EU4 becomes the next fad like Minecraft or Fortnite.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Lots of ways to solve military but paradox will paradox, within their framework europowers should get meaningful military bonuses while fighting in overseas coastal provinces and penalty inland which would be historical plus the cannibal empires of S.America should not last so long don't think I have ever seen them completely annihilated.

Vaarna_Aarne

I think you rather mean "European navies can do some gunboat diplomacy to get port cities, and British East India Company can work from there." That's another thing I wish would be in, having a difference between general provinces and certain pseudo-provinces that are designated cities. With a certain degree of dynamic to it, so you can remove and create new cities (basically it'd be a sub-province or something), rather than just have immutable presets. It'd also work quite nicely for if nothing else at least having agriculture and trading food be a thing (since most of the Western Europe was a net importer of grain and other foodstuffs in the time period, in case of Britain and Netherlands for very obvious reasons) to regulate this. It'd certainly be nice to have some sort of relatively elastic population mechanic which would depend mostly on availability and price of food in a given country. The biggest reason why you end up with these problems with having to put the world map in a fairly equalized position all over is because EU has very limited definition of "local" or "regional" after X point in force limit and cashflow. If the focus was more on the local neighbourhood and cultivating a country rather than painting the world map, you wouldn't have to worry about providing an experience primarily geared towards war performance-driven alternate history.

But anyway, the thing in South America is down to two factors really: First is that Inti is the easiest Native religion to reform, second is that they are furthest away from colonization. So odds are some Inti countries will reform even under AI, and thus are all set to westernize when they get belated contact that they usually get well after the New World colonization penalty events expire. So usually the only way then can be annihillated is through wars that aren't one-sided curbstomps like in Mesoamerica and North American tiny countries, so the AI tends to survive.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
We are taking this too seriously they were probably smoking the same shit they did when they came up with sunset invasion.

Frozen

Arcane
Haven't played vanilla for a while and wtf now chinks are OP

Its so stupid what they did it looks now more like a simple game of risk

What they should do is make it more difficult to conquer and keep ethnically and geographically diverse country (like in real life) and for genocide as a solution to have high cost/value - make it more difficult for countries not to brake, not make everyone at same level.

Tie it to tech, populations and missions-they should be a priority and drive you to different paths not like a check list.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, I think the Inca were the likest native group to survive the European conquest. The Incas were defeated because of a civil war caused by smallpox, and then Atahualpa did some incredibly stupid decisions. Had the Incas brought their full strength to bear in favorable conditions, Pizarro and co would have been a smear on the rocks in very short order. If any native civ should last to 1822, it should have been the Incans.

I think popular culture and bad history makes "strong surviving Aztecs" a lot more of a meme than it has right to be. The Aztecs were a glorified city-state, the Tawantisuyo were the Real Deal, with an actual empire that went from one tip of South America to another, all of it with Bronze Age tech and no alphabet.
You are right that it could have happened to Pizarro's expedition. But the same thing could have in theory happened to Cortez. It only means that another attempt would probably have been made - and successfully so eventually, since we know for a fact that the opportunity for conquest was there. All those pre-columbian political entities weren't very stable. As you pointed it out correctly, Aztecs were ruling at gun (or rather bow) point over other peoples, it wasn't an unified empire, the whole structure started falling apart very quickly when faced with a crisis. But Incas weren't much better. Their state felt so easily not because of unlikely chain of events but because it wasn't a strong and stable political system either. Or at least not enough of one. One crisis, some stupid decisions by one ruler and it's fate was sealed despite not even facing any overwhelming force. That strongly points to the reason of failure being systemic and not accidental.
Still, I agree about Incas being more likely to survive - if anyone even had a chance at all, which I don't think was the case. If not anything else, geography was more in their favour.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No mate, EU4 is a very serious competitive MP experience nowadays. Everything has to be balanced for their office MP games.

That neatly marks the time when I stopped playing Paradox games. There were other reasons of course (DLC chief among them). But the incessant babbling about balance in a game that no one in their right mind plays in multiplayer broke the camel's back.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Pirates... Oh boy... Dev Diary 20th Nov

Yarr Harr m' mateys n' scallywags! O, are you a pirate m' johnnies? For I'm a young sailor boy, hungry for the free life unbound by tyrants, and where am I to go? You're bound away to Kingston town, that's where you're bound to go. As you might be able to guess today's dev diary is about pirates! Let’s get right to it.

index.php

Blackbeard sacks Charleston

Owners of the upcoming Immersion Pack will have the option to play as a Pirate Republic, a new kind of government with a few interesting and unique features. Pirates may freely use the Raid Coast mechanic regardless of religion, and all pirate rulers are automatically converted into Admirals. On the subject of coastal raiding, this feature as well as Privateering will be enabled for owners of the Immersion Pack.

Pirates can enter the game in 3 different ways: as a custom nation, via a dynamic historical event, or by using a decision available to small island nations. 9 pirate nations can emerge during the course of a campaign, and all are playable through an option in the events named ‘A pirate’s life for me!’ Here’s a quick overview:

Pirates of the Caribbean - The Spanish weren’t the only ones undergoing a Golden Age during our time period; this is also the Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean. Three pirate nations can spawn in the region following an event triggered by conflict and privateering by colonial powers. The most notable is the Republic of Pirates itself, based on New Providence in the Bahamas. Ruling the town of Nassau, these pirates (among them the dreaded Blackbeard) existed independently of sovereign rule for over a decade. Representing the home ports of the Brethren of the Coast are the pirate nations of Tortuga and Port Royal. The Brethren were an organization of pirates and privateers of many nationalities that agreed to abide by a code of rules similar to the Articles of Agreement that governed each crew.

Pirates of the Barbary Coast: The coast of North Africa was another hotbed of piracy. The Republic of Salé was founded by disenfranchised and disgruntled refugees from Spain who fled the Spanish Inquisition. Among their leaders was the Dutch pirate and convert Jan Janszoon, known in the Republic as Murat Reis. Ruled by the Pirate Queen Sayyida al Hurra, the Kingdom of Tétouan was feared throughout the Western Mediterranean. Sayyida is a fascinating figure; a refugee from the fall of Granada, she took power in Tétouan and conducted the affairs of the local Barbary Pirates, eventually marrying the Moroccan Sultan though refusing to give up her title. Completing a Tunisian mission can spawn Algiers as a pirate nation; Admiral Hayreddin Barbarossa can be made governor of Algiers, the port from which his corsairs dominated the Eastern Mediterranean.

index.php

The Republic of Salé is founded

Pirates of the East Indies: Far to the East is a new playable nation in 1444: Palembang. While an overhaul of maritime south-east Asia was not in the scope for this patch, Palembang is particularly notable as the former capital of the Srivijaya empire which was the hegemon of the region prior to the ascendance of Majapahit. Palembang has fallen into decline, and only recently Admiral Zheng He expelled the Chinese pirates who were governing the city. With Zheng He dead and China now seemingly disinterested in Palembang’s politics, the pirates have begun to return to the city. Pattani, on the Malay Peninsula, can be visited by the renowned Lin Daoqian Band later in the game. Daoqian enters the city seeking a haven for his piratical endeavors, but his true ambitions may be greater than he lets on.

Pirates of Madagascar: Despite having a shaky basis in history, I couldn’t help but include the fabled Republic of Libertatia, on Madagascar, as one of the new pirate nations. Libertatia was, allegedly, founded by the pirate Captain Tew and a Dominican priest as a utopian proto-anarchist commune where every man, regardless of race or creed, is entitled to a life of liberty and equality.

The decision to Hoist the Black Flag is available to monarchies and republics with less than 7 owned province, with all owned provinces being coastal and either on an island or in the Maghreb region. The country must also have 2 stability, no subjects, 10 privateer power in their home node, and not be bankrupt or at war.

Script triggers:

index.php

Rum, treasure, and a set of pistols are all a pirate needs

In a pirate election, the usual 3 candidates you expect as a Republic are available, each having 4 in their primary stat and 1 in the rest. They are each tied to a faction that will gain influence when they are elected. When cerrtain historical conditions are met however, namely being in the region at the right time, certain famous historical pirates will be available as additional option in the election event. These pirates include Blackbeard, Anne Bonny, Ching Shih, Laurens de Graaf, and Michel de Grammont, and several come with their own ships such as the Queen Anne's Revenge when elected. Historical pirates can be re-elected for no extra Republican Tradition.

Pirate Republics will not have access to any Estates. Instead, they will have Pirate Factions. As with other Faction systems in the game the Buccaneers, Smugglers, and Captains are tied to ADM, DIP, and MIL power respectively.

The Buccaneers gain influence from coastal raiding, as well as their government reforms which we'll cover later. When in power, your nations gains +1 Republican Tradition, 20% Sailor Recovery Speed, and -5% National Tax. You'll want to keep the Buccaneers in power occasionally as Pirate Republics otherwise do not gain base Republican Tradition.

The Smugglers gain influence from peacetime, and again from their government reforms. When the Smugglers are in power your nations gets 10% Global Trade Power, 10% Trade Efficiency, and -0.5 Yearly Prestige. You'll benefit most from the Smugglers while peacefully developing your illicit mercantile interests.

The Captains gain influence from Privateering, whether at peace or war. While in power they grant +1 Naval Leader Fire, +10% Naval Morale, and +10% Stability Cost. Certainly the faction to take the lead when you need to rule the seas by force.

Pirate Republics can customize their nations further through government reforms (or through decisions for non-Dharma owners) thematically and mechanically tied to the three factions.

index.php

War Against the World!

Tier 2 Reforms:

Articles of Agreement:
  • Buccaneers Influence gain
  • +0.5 Republican Tradition
  • 10% Global Sailors
Smuggler's Haven:
  • Smugglers Influence gain
  • 30% Foreign Trade Power
Council of Captains:
  • Captains Influence gain
  • 33% Privateering Efficiency

Tier 5 Reforms:

War Against the World Doctrine:
  • Buccaneers Influence gain
  • -5 Years of Nationalism
  • -15% Shipbuilding Time
  • Abolishes Slavery
  • (cosmetic) Imperialism CB replaced by War Against the World CB
Black Market Consortium:
  • Smugglers Influence gain
  • Enables Trade Posts as per Merchant Republic
  • Enables Goods Produced bonuses as per Merchant Republic
  • Limited to 20 core state provinces as per Merchant Republic
Pirate King:
  • Rulers rule for life
  • On ruler death, your most skilled Admiral becomes the new ruler
  • -20% Harsh Treatment Reduction
  • +1 Naval Leader Fire
  • (cosmetic) Government name and ruler title change to Pirate Kingdom, Pirate Queen, etc.
Tier 10 Reform:

Lower the Black Flag:
  • Abolish the Pirate Republic reform and all reforms dependent on it.
  • Cowardly abandon the life of freedom and plunder. Shame on you!

index.php

Zack is clearly wasted as a programmer

The pirates have their own mission tree, written and designed by Zack @sidestep Threepwood in his free time. As you might expect as a result, they are crammed full of references to a certain beloved adventure game series. These missions will be available to nations that become pirate republics through events and to pirate custom nations, and Caribbean pirates will receive 5 additional missions.

Finally, here are some Piratical National Ideas:

That's all from me today! I'll now pass you over to @Groogy for a look at some new naval content.

Heya! Oh boy this dev diary is going to be another large one. So I'll be covering some more minor features in comparison to the new Pirate Nations.

First for anyone owning Rule Britannia we'll be adding two new Naval Doctrines just for the Iberian nations. We felt the Wooden Wall doctrine was looking a bit lonely so we thought to add some more. One for the Portuguese and one for the rest of the Iberians. Note this change is in the patch.

index.php

Grand Armada
index.php

For most of the various Iberian nations that can appear on the peninsula, including Granada and Andalusia, you can pick the Grand Armada doctrine. Thanks to the huge fleet available to the Spanish, the convoys carrying gold and other riches from the Americas numbered to 50 larger vessels at it's peak. Picking Grand Armada will give you +50% increased Treasure Fleet income and very fittingly now with more pirates wanting a piece out of your pie.

Portuguese Marines
index.php

For the Portuguese we have the Terço da Armada. The Portuguese Marines is one of the oldest military units still in service today and served besides as an elite unit but also the royal guard of the King. With a colonial empire dispersed all over the world the Portuguese was ahead of their time with their Naval Infantry. Picking the Portuguese Marines will give you a large discount to naval barrage and a bonus to sieges on fortresses at the coast being blockaded by your navy.

Next we've added some more flagship modifications since we last talked about them. Two more nation specific ones and 4 generic ones.

To continue on the Marines theme were adding a specific modification to the Portuguese called Corps of Fusiliers, this modification will let you load and unload onto your fleet 66% faster and ignore any landing penalty if you land into combat letting a Portuguese player rely on a whole different strategy to protect their colonial empire. To go with this there's a generic variant of Integrated Marines available for everyone but it only let you move 33% faster and no bonus to landing into combat.

Next is the Scandinavian Flag Officers. It will be available to Denmark, Norway or a formed Scandinavia. Denmark-Norway success on the sea was very much thanks to having a core of professional sailors the Kingdom had access to. This modification will give you 3% monthly chance while the fleet is on a mission or at end of a combat for the commanding admiral to gain a skill. There's a generic Flag Officer modification that gives you 1% chance.

Next are the two last generic modifications. A Spare Jolly Roger for when you feel like giving the pirates the blame as you are wrecking up your rivals trade node. Having one of those on your flagship will give you 25% privateering efficiency and will go quite well together with the Trade Route Map and the Standardized Signal Book modifications Then we have Captains Log which will give you 100% Prestige and 100% Naval Tradition from Battles.

Also I want to clarify the Vasa modification we referenced on the Flagship dev diary was meant as a joke and will not be in the game on release.

If you like numbers more than my flavor full writing here's the script for the modifications.
Code:
portuguese_corps_of_fusiliers = {
trigger = {
OR = {
tag = POR
tag = BRZ
}
}
modifier = {
movement_speed_onto_off_boat_modifier = -0.66
flagship_landing_penalty = -2
naval_maintenance_flagship_modifier = 0.5
}
}

integrated_marines = {
trigger = {
NOT = {
tag = POR
tag = BRZ
}
}
modifier = {
movement_speed_onto_off_boat_modifier = -0.33
}
}

scandinavian_flag_officers = {
trigger = {
OR = {
tag = DAN
tag = NOR
tag = SCA
}
}
modifier = {
admiral_skill_gain_modifier = 0.03
}
}

flag_officers = {
trigger = {
NOT = {
tag = DAN
tag = NOR
tag = SCA
}
}
modifier = {
admiral_skill_gain_modifier = 0.01
}
}

spare_jolly_roger = {
trigger = {
}
modifier = {
privateering_efficiency_in_fleet_modifier = 0.25
}
}

captains_log = {
trigger = {
}
modifier = {
naval_tradition_in_fleet_modifier = 1
prestige_from_battles_in_fleet_modifier = 1
}
}

Do you guys remember me vaguely promising in the Holy Order dev diary that we were going to try and get this feature for Andalusia? Well @Rufo managed to come up with some Sufi Orders that in a world where Andalusia becomes the colonial power of Iberia could take up a similar role. Orders that potentially could replace the missionary work of Spain. Besides giving similar bonuses as the Catholic ones, the Sufi Orders will also move the Muslim country closer towards mysticism by 2 for each province given to the order.

Shadhili Order
index.php

A sufi order known as the "seekers" with a dedication to intellectual pursuits and have been a major contributor to Islamic literature. Picking the Shadhili to administer your provinces will cost you 50 Administrative points and increase the development of the provinces with 1 Adm development. Each province also gets +1.5% Missionary Strength and 10% Institution Spread.

Qadiri Order
index.php

The Qadiri originally from Iran exists today in most of the world and as such has a more decentralized structure in it's hierarchy. Picking the Qadiri to administer your provinces will cost you 50 Diplomatic point and increase the development of the provinces with 1 Dip development. Each province also gets -10% Construction Cost and -30% Culture conversion cost.

Aissawa Order
index.php

The Aissawa's relationship with their faith is through spiritual musical pieces and complex ceremonies but have their background in the more orthodox teachings of North Africa. Picking the Aissawa to administer your provinces will cost you 50 Military points and increase the development of the provinces with 1 Mil development. Each province also gets -1 Unrest and -0.05 Monthly Devastation.

That's it! I also want to say that we've made the Portuguese specific mechanics like the flagship modifications and Naval Doctrine to also be available for anyone who becomes Brazilian. So taking the decision to move your court to Brazil will not have you lose all of the new cool features.

See you next week for another dev diary!

I hope they give some of those cool Pirate features to the Knights of Malta. They were pretty much the Christian counter-part to the Berber pirates, in many ways, and I would love to be able to pirate filthy Turk and Arab shipping on the waves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom