Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Paradox should just do an EUV.
EUIV is a good game, but its lacking in certain regards. Too much DLC bloat.
They should stop with those gay-ass little DLCs and just do Old Gods/Holy Fury style expansions once every year.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Paradox should just do an EUV.
EUIV is a good game, but its lacking in certain regards. Too much DLC bloat.
They should stop with those gay-ass little DLCs and just do Old Gods/Holy Fury style expansions once every year.

I was just reading a post on the official forum with a guy discussing that, he wrote a small novel about it but some good points.

As you say they need to make bigger more significant DLC that add or change mechanics, rather than just adding moar buttons with different names that drip feed mana to your empire. Its like the team has lost all sense of purpose for the game and they are just randomly adding bits and pieces and new provinces here and there so they can keep pumping out new DLC.

He also talks about the fact that all countries basicly play the same in EU4, compared to CK2 where the different government types force dramaticly different play styles. This is certainly another huge problem with EU4 that will probably never change until we get an EU5 in some far distant future.

And as I have said before the game desperately needs internal empire mechanics that makes the game fun/challenging to play a big blob empire.

By far the best EU mod is Occultis Orbis Terrestere. Originally for EUIII, it added the lands Europeans believed to exist, mainly Atlantis, Lemuria and Mu but also places like the kingdom of Prester John, Thule, the island of California, etc. There are multiple EUIV versions of the mod, but I'm not sure if any of them was recently updated.

One thing I really liked was the people of Mu venerating the Dragon Gods, with the dragons actually being the dinosaurs, or rather their fossils. I had a similar idea for Lemuria and the veneration of gems.

Clark Ashton Smith said:
IN LEMURIA

Rememberest thou? Enormous gongs of stone
Were stricken, and the storming trumpeteers
Acclaimed my deed to answering tides of spears,
And spoke the names of monsters overthrown—
Griffins whose angry gold, and fervid store
Of sapphires wrenched from marble-plungèd mines—
Carnelians, opals, agates, almandines,
I brought to thee some scarlet eve of yore.

In the wide fane that shrined thee Venus-wise,
The fallen clamors died... I heard the tune
Of tiny bells of pearl and melanite,
Hung at thy knees, and arms of dreamt delight;
And placed my wealth before thy fabled eyes,
Pallid and pure as jaspers from the moon.

There's no way to profit from trade downstream.
That is simply not true.
If you can gather enough trade power via ships or provinces, you can stop the flow in any node and collect from there. Of course not every node works for this, but that's just realistic.
Light ships more than pay for themselves if you send them to a worthwhile node (especially a hundred years in, once their trade power increases). If they cost you more maintenance than they gain you, you are simply using them wrong.
And force limit? Who cares? What else are you going to use it for? You need a certain number of transports and heavy ships (and in very rare circumstances, galleys, but I never found them worthwhile outside of Italy). More of those just don't serve any purpose, so you build light ships and earn dough with them. Very much including in trade nodes you have no provinces in.

If you gain trade power via provinces then you have to spend 200 precious mana points to move your trade capital downstream. If you try to collect with a merchant and suffer -50% penalty it's going to suck. Trade ships sucking 2x as much as normal sucks. I just loaded a 1535 game, picked Castile and the best profit gainable from a trade ship on any node is 0.05 ducats, and that's after wasting a merchant who would normally be making way, way more directing or collecting trade in already owned provinces. Even if it didn't take a merchant, that's around 40 years just to break even. With a ship that can get sunk or will be hiding in port for half the game because it dies if something looks at it wrong, and eventually becomes out of date and needs to be replaced.

I agree the feedback could be much better. But I never needed to do more than notice there is a sharp drop at one of my collecting merchants, and then look downstream for causes until I find them. That happens every now and then, but simply not "constantly".
If you fail to realize for years that you lost lots of money, you should be blaming yourself mostly, not the game.

Income fluctuates constantly to begin with. Needing to constantly check trade income to see if its changed is awful. No, I'm not blaming myself for not constantly checking numbers hidden in submenus or one of 50 mapmodes. Good games avoid burdening the player with the need to do this crap. If something is supposed to be this important to watch it should be on the main screen, like supply limit in an RTS like starcraft. There's a million things going on at once in a game like EU4, spending any amount of time checking to make sure something hasn't silently gone wrong is bad game design. There's a reason most things in EU4 notify you when the situation has changed, e.g. when a battle/siege has ended and you can use your armies again.

I don't exactly remember the EU3 system, but if you could gain a profit there without either having lots of provinces or lots of trade ships, it didn't make any sense at all - where did the profit come from, if not from your ships or local presence? Magic?

Merchants engaging in trade. Where do you think trade is supposed to represent? A stream of ducats going around the world that magically distributes itself according to magical province trade power like EU4? Obviously, that's stupid. Trade is supposed to be about merchants buying low/selling high, making a profit because Europe will pay more for things that Asia produces cheaply and vice versa. Owning provinces did provide some value in EU3 for raising your competition ability (especially the CoT, if you didn't own the CoT you suffered a penalty that scaled with your infamy), but otherwise no, trade isn't about annexing the entire coastline of India. Vasco da Gama didn't need to spend his entire life "protecting trade" in India with 50 light ships after seizing all the coastal CoTs, Portugal merely secured trade rights with the local kings and later established a few ports along the route for the purpose of repairing and resupplying merchants on their journey.

EDIT: Also, a cool feature of EU3 was the pseudo civilian/state economy split. Trade didn't really just magically flow into your coffers, it went straight into improving your tech development. Only Tax went to the state by default, the only way to directly profit off of production and trade was to mint, which caused inflation. An altogether pretty cool system. In EU4 apparently the king personally owns all production and all profit from merchant missions. Completely unnecessary and dumb simplification that came along with the whole mana/tech system of EU4.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you gain trade power via provinces then you have to spend 200 precious mana points to move your trade capital downstream. If you try to collect with a merchant and suffer -50% penalty it's going to suck. Trade ships sucking 2x as much as normal sucks.
Obviously nodes in which that is the case are not your highest priority.
But once your highest priorities are full (and there is a point where more light ships won't actually gain more profit), you can send your light ships to those other high-value nodes and earn a profit. Less of a profit than "at home", but still more than not doing it.

I just loaded a 1535 game, picked Castile and the best profit gainable from a trade ship on any node is 0.05 ducats, and that's after wasting a merchant who would normally be making way, way more directing or collecting trade in already owned provinces. Even if it didn't take a merchant, that's around 40 years just to break even. With a ship that can get sunk or will be hiding in port for half the game because it dies if something looks at it wrong, and eventually becomes out of date and needs to be replaced.
Maybe that's where vanilla differs from the mods I use, but by 1535 I wouldn't send a light ship to gain 0.05 ducats, that seems a bit low, indeed.
Anyway, 40 years to break even is a bit extreme, but still better than spending the money on most alternatives.

Income fluctuates constantly to begin with. Needing to constantly check trade income to see if its changed is awful. No, I'm not blaming myself for not constantly checking numbers hidden in submenus or one of 50 mapmodes. Good games avoid burdening the player with the need to do this crap. If something is supposed to be this important to watch it should be on the main screen, like supply limit in an RTS like starcraft. There's a million things going on at once in a game like EU4, spending any amount of time checking to make sure something hasn't silently gone wrong is bad game design. There's a reason most things in EU4 notify you when the situation has changed, e.g. when a battle/siege has ended and you can use your armies again.
I don't know what else to tell you. I simply never had a problem looking at those numbers every now and then and it didn't annoy me, really. There just isn't THAT much going in EU4. *shrug*

I don't exactly remember the EU3 system, but if you could gain a profit there without either having lots of provinces or lots of trade ships, it didn't make any sense at all - where did the profit come from, if not from your ships or local presence? Magic?

Merchants engaging in trade. Where do you think trade is supposed to represent? A stream of ducats going around the world that magically distributes itself according to magical province trade power like EU4? Obviously, that's stupid. Trade is supposed to be about merchants buying low/selling high, making a profit because Europe will pay more for things that Asia produces cheaply and vice versa.[/QUOTE]
Merchants do not exist in a vacuum.
Merchants on their own can do and achieve nothing. Those merchants that you send can be considered the "leader" in the CoT you sent them to. I don't see how they can be considered more than that, really, given that they even have a name.
They need bases of operations and transportation/guards for their goods. The first is represented by provinces, the second (in part) by fleets. If they'd cost upkeep, I would agree with you (then both could be considered part of that upkeep), but they don't. No, you are the one that is providing bases of operations and a merchant fleet.
I really don't understand what is so hard to understand about it.

If you gain trade power via provinces then you have to spend 200 precious mana points to move your trade capital downstream. If you try to collect with a merchant and suffer -50% penalty it's going to suck. Trade ships sucking 2x as much as normal sucks.
Obviously nodes in which that is the case are not your highest priority.
But once your highest priorities are full (and there is a point where more light ships won't actually gain more profit), you can send your light ships to those other high-value nodes and earn a profit. Less of a profit than "at home", but still more than not doing it.

Maybe that's where vanilla differs from the mods I use, but by 1535 I wouldn't send a light ship to gain 0.05 ducats, that seems a bit low, indeed.
Anyway, 40 years to break even is a bit extreme, but still better than spending the money on most alternatives.

40 years to make a profit is fairly bad. You're way better off investing in advisors (level 1 ->2 is about 3-4 ducats/MP) or conquest (generally the most profitable thing you can do). And this is assuming your light ships can stay out forever, like I said they generally need to spend at least half their time in port because they die like paper to literally anything. Else some random minor ally of your enemies will find a way to send 2 heavies into your fleet of 30 trade ships and sink them all.

As for comparing it to other trade sources:

Trade Ship: 20 ducats + 0.05 a month for ~2.5 trade power. Reduced by half if collecting outside of home.
Base CoT owned by burghers: ~15 trade power.
CoT level 2 w/ marketplace: ~32 trade power for a cost of 300 ducats.

As you can see, they really aren't a good investment when you take into account the possibility of them getting sunk or the fact that you'll need to rebuy the whole fleet eventually when new tech comes.

Also, naval force limit definitely isn't huge. You need like 20-30 transports and 15 or so heavy ships just for basic purposes. Major countries like France of Spain are only going to have a force limit of 50-60 on their own unless they blob a ton.

I don't know what else to tell you. I simply never had a problem looking at those numbers every now and then and it didn't annoy me, really. There just isn't THAT much going in EU4. *shrug*

Then you could be playing on a higher speed instead.

Merchants do not exist in a vacuum.
Merchants on their own can do and achieve nothing. Those merchants that you send can be considered the "leader" in the CoT you sent them to. I don't see how they can be considered more than that, really, given that they even have a name.
They need bases of operations and transportation/guards for their goods. The first is represented by provinces, the second (in part) by fleets. If they'd cost upkeep, I would agree with you (then both could be considered part of that upkeep), but they don't. No, you are the one that is providing bases of operations and a merchant fleet.
I really don't understand what is so hard to understand about it.

You need 1 or 2 ports to get to india and trade profitably. Not half the indian coastline, like in EU4. You don't provide a merchant fleet and it's stupid to pretend that that's part of the state's function. In EU4 you send ships on an arbitrary mission that improves an arbitrary trade power stat that lets you steal trade from other nations for... what reason? Is there any? No, it's dumb. It made sense in EU3, your merchants competed to be the ones who got to trade with the people in a region. In EU4 your ships compete for... whatever they compete at and merchants are an arbitrary limit to what you can collect at or direct at. Like, you throw 100 ships between Portugal in India but you can't actually tell them to bring the gold home because you don't have a merchant to steer it away from England and France? What?

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Man the upcoming Golden Century DLC is getting absolutely dumped on and I can't say I disagree with it. They finally take a look at Iberia and end up changing very little, with the biggest change (pirates) not even being something for Iberian nations. EU4 DLCs have been gradually becoming more and more disappointing. Dharma was a big let down, and while I'll admit to personally loving Rule Brittania I can see why many weren't very keen on it (England and Irish minors are some of my top nations to play as). The fact that CK2 and Stellaris just got what are arguably two of the best expansions Paradox has ever made (jury's still out on Megacorp but Holy Fury is ace) just rubs salt in the wound.

I don't know where I stand on EU4 right now. I want to mod the game but a lot of the mods are a bit... much? I'm more interested in tweaking and changing some of the mechanics rather than completely overhauling everything and making sure we accurately model all hundred-odd HRE states. I still enjoy the base game a lot, but it feels like it's missing something, and the DLC is failing to address that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Man the upcoming Golden Century DLC is getting absolutely dumped on and I can't say I disagree with it. They finally take a look at Iberia and end up changing very little, with the biggest change (pirates) not even being something for Iberian nations. EU4 DLCs have been gradually becoming more and more disappointing. Dharma was a big let down, and while I'll admit to personally loving Rule Brittania I can see why many weren't very keen on it (England and Irish minors are some of my top nations to play as). The fact that CK2 and Stellaris just got what are arguably two of the best expansions Paradox has ever made (jury's still out on Megacorp but Holy Fury is ace) just rubs salt in the wound.

I don't know where I stand on EU4 right now. I want to mod the game but a lot of the mods are a bit... much? I'm more interested in tweaking and changing some of the mechanics rather than completely overhauling everything and making sure we accurately model all hundred-odd HRE states. I still enjoy the base game a lot, but it feels like it's missing something, and the DLC is failing to address that.
Yeah,it is pretty lacklustre dlc. They should have made a lot more country mission,should have included Italia in the dlc. Also it is pretty shitty that it is yet another new world dlc,nobody gives two shit about the americas,it is a dead place in the game.

If you don't like mechanics just open the documents in notepad++ and edit what ever you like. That is what i do every time there is a DLC.

Mortmal

Arcane
"Minority Expulsion: Settle your distant colonies with homeland minorities, promoting greater cohesion at home, while adding more diversity to your subject nations."
Thats... that's evil :)

MilesBeyond

Cipher
"Minority Expulsion: Settle your distant colonies with homeland minorities, promoting greater cohesion at home, while adding more diversity to your subject nations."

It's also kinda funny that it's part of a Spanish Immersion Pack DLC, because IIRC the British were really the only ones that actually did this irl.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Spanish also did this with Moriscos. Or at least tried, because according to recent scholarship it was a massive failure. At any rate, the expulsion destroyed Moriscos as a cohesive group.

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik

It's also kinda funny that it's part of a Spanish Immersion Pack DLC, because IIRC the British were really the only ones that actually did this irl.

While not intended during EUIV timeline: Spanish colonial policy, particularly Cuba, was to flood the island with Africans to discourage rebellion from the white colonials, and this was after the Slave Trade was supposedly ended by the British.

One of Spain's Captain Generals mentioned it in his memoir and I never forgot it.

forgive my short sight, but how would had that work? on what principle having a big number of expendables, maybe even non-humans, would discourage me from rebelling?

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
forgive my short sight, but how would had that work? on what principle having a big number of expendables, maybe even non-humans, would discourage me from rebelling?

Haiti - better to be protected by the Spanish crown than give slaves ideas. The Haitian Revolution also effectively ended any discussion of emancipation in the Southern USA.

haiti-massacre.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
End year DD
Good day all and welcome to this week's Dev Diary for EUIV. It's also our final one of the year and as such it's going to be a meaty one. Indeed today is my last day in the office before I take a decadently long Christmas and New Year vacation. I'll be burning some whisky barrels on the open fireplace and melting to my sofa while my cats and dog lay with me in the freezing wastes of the Scottish Highlands. With that to look forward to, I'll get on with today's matter at hand: we're going to talk about reflections on the year, including Rule Britannia, Dharma and Golden Century, how we use forum feedback and suggestions, as well as our plans going forward into 2019. This'll be a big one, so buckle up.

index.php

This year started strong with the release of Rule Britannia in March. It was our second Immersion pack and our way of confirming if we wanted to keep going forward with the Immersion Pack model for EU4. We had released Third Rome as an Immersion Pack before, and while both its sales and reception were lukewarm, its release was right alongside our price change debacle. With Rule Britannia, we were able to try an Immersion Pack again in clearer conditions. Again, we wanted to make a DLC for the game, smaller and tighter in scope, where we focused on Britain, and making features and content which was lighter on Code, and heavier on Script and Art. To this end, it pioneered the new Mission Trees, came with unit models and music as well as some new gameplay features for half the price of a regular expansion.

Rule Britannia exceeded all our expectations, performing record-breakingly well in sales for EUIV, while also gaining favourable reception. It was clear to us that there was a place for these types of DLC. While the sales and reception were great, there was still feedback by way of the content not being deep or meaningful enough, particularly for our core fanbase (If you're reading this, then that's you guys) So our decision was to produce both large expansions and tighter Immersion Packs, meaning Dharma was up next.

Ah Dharma. I remember standing up on the stage at PDXCon, having been asked to do a presentation about it. I don't remember what I said up there and I certainly didn't know what I was going to say. I knew I wanted to just say the word “Dharma” with conviction, and the rest would probably follow. I don't recall the audience getting up and leaving, so the presentation probably went well.

Dharma released in September and was a typical $20 expansion with the usual array of features and an Indian focus. It came with an unusual level of re-working old features, but also took the unorthodox (for EU4) direction of taking old content and making it free. We freed up the Estates feature, shook it up a touch and this, I feel, comes with the unspoken promise of continuing to support and work on this feature.

All well and good, but how do we look at the release from our perspective at Paradox? While Rule Britannia set some records for EUIV, Dharma came and broke them again. It proved to sell extremely well, but it then opened up some interesting discussion, because it reviewed fairly terribly, at (another record-breaking) 35% on Steam at time of writing.

Now the honest truth here from my perspective is that reviews weigh ounces while sales weigh pounds. One cannot put food on the table with a good review, but they can with good sales. If I was asked if I want a release to sell well or I want it to review well, I'll ask for both, but if I may only have one, I'll take the sales numbers. I'm telling you that not (only) because I am a terribly greedy individual, but because that is how we weigh up success and I'd rather be clear with you on that than give some fuzzy, corporate response.

This comes with one massive however. This is not to say that we do not take feedback and reviews into account. Far from it. I've personally read every single review we've had on this year's releases, positive, negative, even Google Translated if need be. We do set aside some real time to check what people enjoyed, what they did not and address what we can. Case in point, there was a huge amount of feedback, both before release and in reviews, slamming the free patch that shipped with Dharma, particularly with the Corruption from Territories and Religious Conversion changes. In this case, we made a redesign of the conversions, making a small change in the followup 1.27 Poland Update to allow conversions with Religious Ideas, then when time was more permitting, making a change to how conversions cost for 1.28. There is still dissatisfaction about how corruption in territories work, I've certainly been reading the threads with interest, but this is in line with our vision for the game. Complaints are not without merit, but it's unlikely that the mechanic will change any time soon.

After Dharma we put out the 1.27 Poland Update, and fittingly had one of our biggest events of the year for the game at the Polish LAN party. It was an amazing time and the absolute most fun one can have playing the game in my humble opinion, I'll cast the limelight over to others who have covered the event in their own ways

index.php
This beat the office Streaming Studio in terms of grandeur solidly

index.php

Flags, props and amazing cosplay all around

index.php

Groogy wore some of his casual attire for the event

After the aforementioned Poland update came Golden Century, another Immersion Pack, so the same vein as Rule Britannia and Third Rome. This went live just 7 days ago, and while that's a pretty short timeframe to draw many conclusions on a DLC release, I'm going to live dangerously and draw them anyway.

Let's not beat around the bush, there has been plenty of dissatisfaction in the community on Golden Century. We've not been blind to the plethora of comments, posts, threads and ratings showing that the Immersion Pack we've been making and delivered is not what you have been anticipating, and there's no amount of fancy talking I can do to dismiss that. There have been particular concerns about lacking focus on Spain/Portugal, wanting deeper changes to Colonization, overall feeling that the Immersion Pack is feature-light, feedback being ignored and plenty others.

Certainly, I put my hands up and say that yes, there were certainly some ill-placed priorities on Golden Century. Most glaring of these were that we talked about what we were doing and planning with you, the community, much too late. It compounded most other issues, so that expectations about what we were going to do were not set from the start, our design and features were too locked-in for much iteration, and the feedback and suggestions that we got, many of which were really good were just not implemented, not because we didn't like them, but because we'd already gotten to a point where we weren't in a position to act on them. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which side of verification&QA you're on) we don't tend to keep working on a release up to the week/day/hour of release.

That doesn't account for all things though. There are certainly those who feel that they weren't getting what they wanted in terms of deep mechanical reworks or large changes to the game. On this I have to put up a defense. Immersion Packs are designed to deliver content for the focus regions and specifically not large gameplay reworks. You'll not see a Government Overhaul or an Empire of China+Tributaries in an Immersion Pack. In an Immersion Pack you'll certainly find new Music for the region, new unit models, Dynamic Historical Events, features for the focused nation, map changes and other revisions. If what you're wanting from an Immersion Pack are the features of the magnitude that we put in our larger expansions, then we will not be able to meet that expectation. With that said, Golden Century did not match up to the level of quality that you've come to expect, and for that we need to do better.

I don't want to completely drop the point about feedback and suggestions though. A sad outcome from this is that people are feeling their suggestions are just not listened to. This couldn't be much farther from the truth, and I'll be getting back to this just a little further down.

All said and done though, Golden Century was released last week and, while the reviews are not so hot, it's performing admirably as releases go, telling us that we can continue to deliver successful Immersion Packs, but we absolutely need to handle development and communication better.

From now though, there are precious few days before the company as a whole shuts down and only the bravest of souls march into the office to keep the gears of development turning. That'll bring a wrap to 2018, which has been a pretty great year for the EUIV Team. Said team has seen its members come and go, but remain in high spirits and committed to delivering exciting content for the game. In particular this year we have seen the swelling of our ranks with new blood, either new to the company or new to the project (people can and do switch from project to project) while giving bittersweet farewells to those who have left the project such as @Trin Tragula who slipped into a time vortex and ended up long before the Birth of Christ, to live out his Roman fantasies in Imperator.

With that as a reflection on 2018, let's turn to the topic of Suggestions and Feedback. Recently I spied a post which went along the lines of “can we have a dev diary on suggestions” and I think that's a great idea.

So we have a suggestions subforum here where many threads get put up. Users post their ideas on how the game can be improved and what features or balances they would like to see in the game. It's a wonderful place where, regardless if the proposed solution is something we want to directly implement, gives us inspiration and ideas and also highlights what people see as issues in our game in a highly constructive manner.

A considerably chunk of my time, as well as @Groogy and @neondt 's is spent looking through these suggestions. We don't give feedback on everything we read there, and indeed it would be criminal mismanagement of time to do so, but we do read and read often. Suggestions there, both big and small get made and sometimes result in tangible change for the game. A question we've had before is “What does it take for a suggestion to be implemented”. There's hardly a single answer to this, and a variety of ways things get implemented. Sometimes a suggestion can result in a different inspired solution to a problem that's being cited, sometimes mechanics emerge which are similar to those posted. In rare cases, entire suggestions are so good they get face-lifted straight into the game. Let's take a look at some examples, and talk best practices.

Here is an example of a suggestion so good they we had to implement it near enough as-is. A remarkably well constructed post, highlighting all necessary changes that should be made, including province layout, trade goods, city placement and more, as well as containing local information that is harder for us to source to back them up.

Another great and well constructed proposal which covers nearly all bases. It contains a plethora of ideas, not all of which are likely to make it into the game, but a solid suggestion which will no doubt see some manifestation in the game.

Of course, these are fairly massive suggestion post examples, and are not what everyone is expecting or expected to bring the table. We also have lots of smaller suggestions and compilation suggestions which prove useful. A notable example is the achievement compilation thread

Often the smaller gameplay suggestions such as events you could see being improved are great for us to see. The important thing in any suggestion is to Identify the issue and then explain what your improvement is. Often it’s getting the finger on exactly what needs improvement is more important than the fine details on what should be done, as the latter often has many different approaches.

@neondt recently posted a good framework for such suggestions, particularly for events:

Example:
Event name:
Clergy condemns philosopher as heretic

Event ID (if known):

Perceived Issue:
Event essentially unchanged from EU3. Unavoidable stability hit is overly punishing and doesn't necessarily fit the flavour.

Suggested Improvement:
Remove stabhit, make penalties better/harsher for each opposed choice

Now, one particular comment that I've been chewing on over the last few weeks was (paraphrased) thus: “I feel like I cannot make the best suggestions I can in a meaningful time when we don't know what the EUIV team is working on until they're pretty much done with it” Now this is something that ties wonderfully into our next topic for today's monster dev diary: Our plans going forward. Previously I've been hesitant to post much of a public roadmap of what EUIV has planned or has ambition for, but I'll not have it said that I'm too hard-headed to change my mind.

Taking it from the top, 2019 will be a very different year of development for EUIV. We will be slowing down development of new features and expansions, at least for the first half of the year. We shall be taking time to focus on two main things in EUIV: Tech Debt and Quality of Life

Tech Debt covers all sorts of things that accumulate over time when we develop our games. It's things like bugs that accumulate (truce timers not lining up with the tooltip? That's tech debt), performance (new features and map updates slowing the game down? That's tech debt) systems that we put in place being cumbersome to work with and slowing down other development? That's tech debt. Generally we set time aside every release to tackle this, but over the past 5+ years of post-release development, we have accumulated more than we've chewed through. To this end, we will be taking a very serious stab at issues and working through the issues that have been building up over this time.

Quality of Life are those usability issues that make you stop for a moment and glare at the game. It's when the tooltip for taking gold covers the green checkmark in the peace deal screen, or when you want to tell your auto-diplomats to deal with a specific bunch of nations but you cannot specify them. We get many suggestions of these in the forums, we have many ideas on them internally, and we get subtly reminded of them in fangatherings. Indeed, those who were at the Polish LAN party were kind enough to give me one or two game suggestions themselves, which will no doubt find their way on our internal list to work through. We will be making a list of the most pressing QoL issues, and working through them with reckless abandon.

J-Jmf2vDfpF0yBn_efrCREXm1o9KTu7rScq40e6R1spdrGr0RjbB9U2wIGNkaOhg2xG1bpY56IYD0x3tWOagPbqDzZcahSV87CAhRhPwA06T1fKn-nknlNaGrrFMUiKYnSB_IKon

Me reading suggestions from the Poland event. First I saw the auto trade company toggle suggestion

dFITv9nqMLnohlStxb-CFQ9R4_zfgW1eGm5EHWtNWl_n6JtA_CnS9yQtKthAcA9m7oRzaa8FST7wwWKoDjbDZ-ywfzUcJ3Dgd27j-DhgB9azsN65ATMa7W9ZZ4Jbv50OkZSYOpV4

Then I saw the Balkan Cultures suggestion

This tech debt and quality of life work will manifest themselves in an expansion release we are planning towards the end of the year. We will be working on a massive European expansion, with a scope of pretty much everything from Bretton Brest to Byzantine Constantinople. While it'll be some time before we go into detail on what we want to do with this expansion, we have our own internal wishlist of things to tackle. This is not a guarantee that all will be dealt with in said expansion, but it is what we wish to achieve.

• Endless, immortal mercenaries need to be reigned in
  • the HRE system, which is largely unchanged from EU3 needs to evolve
  • Expand Estates mechanic
  • Make Catholicism and the Pope feel like a force to be reckoned with, rather than just another colour of Christianity and country
  • Flesh out mission trees for more countries.
  • Make manpower and attrition more meaningful
  • Improve custom nation options.
  • Up the standard of the map across Europe, including Balkans, Italy, France and Germany.
There will no doubt be more to come, but I want to give a general idea of what we're looking at in 2019. Tech Debt, Quality of Life and a massive European Expansion. There will be some smaller patches along the way, likely bugfixes and perhaps a small content update along the way, as well as some new surprises, but the bulk of 2019 is going towards this one big release.

And we want to make sure that you are involved along the way. No doubt there will be people with their own fixes, quality of life features or European changes they want to see in the game. We'll be taking in feedback and suggestions moreso than ever, and hopefully clarifying that this will be a long development cycle will ensure that changes and iteration can take place in a timely manner. I encourage such quality of life requests and longstanding bugs to be posted up or brought forward to us, and we shall be doing our utmost to crush the bugs and implement the QoLs (hopefully in that order)

Of course, this means that, particularly in early 2019, we're going to see some quieter dev diaries, where we may just highlight some particular fixes and QoL changes we make, before we ramp up towards the meat of what's coming in the European Expansion. There'll also be some other surprise things that we'll be talking about as we start picking up steam again next year.

And that's our final, and likely longest dev diary for the year. I hope we've managed to shed some light on previously nebulous places, and before I jet off to the cold and unforgiving Highlands I'll stick around to field any questions you may have for the rest of the day, listing them below.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
End year DD

TLDR: Dharma expansion got review bombed but sold really well. Golden Century is 'Mostly Negative' also selling well...

Moral of the story: Paradox can release any old shit and the sheeple will throw money at them.

It must be nice having a money making machine, set the lever to 'low effort, mediocrity' and watch it spew money out.

It's not that anyone is going to check whether he's writing truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom