Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

aris

Arcane
I can't help but think that it's the kickstarter stretch goals that started this shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Look at those fantards go

"Oh but textures are non-essential the game is complete without them!"

"People won't notice a flag of some empire missing!"

"No portrait of Hitler?! You graphics whore - gameplay features aren't missing despite only 1/3 of nations being playable!"

"Please Paradox milk me more!"

Not being fucked by a jewish developer that sells crap content cut out from the vanilla game is edgy now.

Kony is upset you possess a common sense.

aris

Arcane
I can kind of see where you're coming from. I think you'd go into a meltdown if bohemia started to sell vehichle tires as DLCs for ARMA 3. You're afraid of a slippery slope here.

Mortmal

Arcane
Can barely hear your through that cock slaming in your throat.
Edgy as fuck. So much that my eyes bleed after reading this turd of a post.
Not being fucked by a jewish developer that sells crap content cut out from the vanilla game is edgy now.

People accept everything, even on the codex , that started with the horse armor , everyone laughed about it . Now horse armor is in every games , things getting worse and worse but everyone think its normal . 30$ for a 4hour dlc, or a mmo mount is something normal nowadays .You can enjoy paradox games and stillt hink their business model is shit, now its even steam mandatory, why that ?

oscar

Arcane
The goals were completely different. It was simulationist (as opposed to the more sandbox nature of EU3/MM) but still allowed huge numbers of branching alternate history events. Had an awesome game as the Hussites were I successfully bought the Reformation to Europe about a century earlier. Even for this minor there were lots of branching, well-researched paths. For instance you can choose via event between the moderate Ultraquists who want to reach an accommodation with the Catholics and stay under the radar or the radical, proto-communist Taborites (though the rest of Catholic Europe hates your guts).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Magna Mundi was a steaming turd where the handful of good ideas were drowned in shit design decisions and sloppy craftsmanship. And the less we say about Ubikebab Ottomans the better.

Vaarna_Aarne

The thing that made MMU popular was Furious Flaming Faggot making multiple superb Let's Plays of it. However, once people actually started playing it in sufficient quantity, the realization was that overall it was a shitty mod with only tons of retarded shit added over a few good features. It's not even a surprise that MM the Game crashed and burned, on a technical level MMU was one of the worst examples of modding for Paradox games. It was clunky, badly organized, poorly optimized and prone to crashing.

TripJack

Hedonist
for all its problems, magna mundi is still the best megamod that i've tried...

Vaarna_Aarne

Now that's just sad. The megamods Victoria 2, HoI2, and HoI3 have leave MMU to the dust in all respects, and in case of EU3 you could have just used something like Fun2EU which removes most of the bullshit from Magna Mundi.

TripJack

Hedonist
Now that's just sad. The megamods Victoria 2, HoI2, and HoI3 have leave MMU to the dust in all respects, and in case of EU3 you could have just used something like Fun2EU which removes most of the bullshit from Magna Mundi.
i meant 'best eu3 megamod' of course

and by magna mundi i really meant 'mare apertum', that is the only version of MM that I have played

Cassidy

Arcane
copx did Mare Apertum, the best mod for Europa Universalis III, in spite of FRAMED! and AI cheats for kebab and UKnistan.

Then, to match his masterpiece, like Qwinn, he left RPGCodex forever.

His reasons for the drama, despite overblown, are quite right.

pan

Learned
There are two aspects of MM which irk me. Two that I can remember, anyway; there may be more that I have forgotten. I will list this deleterious duet here, as I enjoy complaining about things.

The first issue I take with MM concerns the Worst Turks. The Ottoman state is unfairly afforded continuous free casus bellis on the Knights of Rhodes after a certain date. This is only the beginning of my troubles concerning the Ottomans, but let me elaborate on it in order to demonstrate it's troubling implications and relations to other ill aspects of the Ottoman's in this mod. The endless, free casus bellis mean that playing as the knights of Rhodes one will find himself in an interminable series of wars with the Ottomans for the latter half of the game. Even if you manage to beat and cripple them, their handicaps are such that they can easily and inexorably recover.

The only hypothetical scenario in which the Knights could avoid this perpetual war would be one in which the Ottoman Empire is utterly destroyed. Playing as the Knights this can only be achieved by usurping every last one of their regions yourself; no other means can work. One cannot rely on the AI to do it for him, as there is no AI state that can challenge the Turk. One cannot hope to reduce the Ottoman Empire into constituent states through peace treaties, thereby castrating it's power -- that is impossible, because the Ottoman Empire will simply peacefully annex any states split off from it, as most of the states constituting Turkey proper have a pathological tendency to request annexations, no matter the circumstances (I believe this AI tendency is hard coded, or else achieved through an event). One cannot hope to mire the Turks so deeply in debt, wars, negative stability and inflation that they could not ever hope to recover, as some combination of their innate abilities and MM features in general allows themselves to swiftly recover from seemingly hopeless situations. So, unfortunately, playing as the Knights means that one will have to suffer the burden of conquest, either of the Turk over oneself, or oneself over the Turk, as there is no other outcome that they can hope to achieve. Not only that, but playing as any state bordering the Turk means almost the same thing -- the only difference is that war isn't designed to be certainty -- the ability of any state to reduce the Turks permanently relies on the state's ability to personally conquer and hold (or else dole out to it's allies) all of Turkey's regions. This is troubling, as it not only makes the game a pain to play, but it makes divergence from Ottoman supremacy a near impossibility.

The second issue I am concerned with is the piracy shebang. This issue is quite a bit simpler, so much so that I can demonstrate it in it's entirety in only a few sentences. Quite simply, every coastal region one owns increases the provincial risks of piracy for all of his other provinces incrementally at a rate that cannot be offset after a certain point. Should one continue to add coastal provinces to his Empire, he would at some point find every one of his coastal regions in a state of rampant piracy, regardless of any countermeasures he could possibly take. This oversight (I can only assume it's one, there's certainly no historical or balance related explanation for it) drastically weakens coastal empires and makes them a pain to play.

So, there you have it. Two flaws in MM. I will admit that I enjoy the mod in spite of it's shortcomings, but I can only see it's shortcomings as being the unnecessary results of poor design and stubbornness on the part of it's creators. The team responsible for it obviously had a lot of room for improvement, and it's easy to see why their later project was such a catastrophe. So, hurr hurr, Ubik sucks.

thesoup

Arcane
copx did Mare Apertum, the best mod for Europa Universalis III, in spite of FRAMED! and AI cheats for kebab and UKnistan.

Then, to match his masterpiece, like Qwinn, he left RPGCodex forever.

His reasons for the drama, despite overblown, are quite right.
Link to said drama plx.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Making this steam only is really stupid. This is a series where new patches routinely introduce new bugs and where expansions routinely make things worse for months at a time, if not indefinitely (hordes, Japan never forming).

I barely play EU3 (too much of a sandbox) but I have three separate installs, because the beta patches were making things worse for a while and it was necessary to go backwards to find a playable milestone. I could easily have five installs, if I wanted to keep a version without the beta patches and a version without some of the newer expansions so that I could play Magna Mundi.

Making this steam only is really stupid. This is a series where new patches routinely introduce new bugs and where expansions routinely make things worse for months at a time, if not indefinitely (hordes, Japan never forming).

I barely play EU3 (too much of a sandbox) but I have three separate installs, because the beta patches were making things worse for a while and it was necessary to go backwards to find a playable milestone. I could easily have five installs, if I wanted to keep a version without the beta patches and a version without some of the newer expansions so that I could play Magna Mundi.
I agree with that. Steam only is a mistake, but not a colossal one.

hakuroshi

Augur
I suppose, you'll still be able to have different installs of EU4 to use with beta patches, if there is no other DRM except Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom