Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, under Johan EUIV was most enjoyable. Then Jake came and their DLC ratings crashed through the floor. I mean Johan released good DLCs which added new things that made game complex. Jake added cashgrab shit noone liked.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh no, the Popamoler is back in charge of EUIV.
Most likely. They gave him the job as lead of EU when that faggot johan went to make a supper successful franchise called rome. Now when that shit flopped he most likely fired jake because he make him look incompetent. I honestly don't know who is the new lead for EU4.
Johan is. :D I thought you knew, and hence you concluded that what you wrote.
Fuck,i was really interesting in the upcoming update,it looked that jake put a lot of interesting shit in it,but now the incompetent fag will just rape it and fill it with bugs.

Well, under Johan EUIV was most enjoyable. Then Jake came and their DLC ratings crashed through the floor. I mean Johan released good DLCs which added new things that made game complex. Jake added cashgrab shit noone liked.
Fake news all the way to satans asshole! He is the worst project leader out there,second only to his lover wiz....the one that made stellaris. Both of them are really shit at making anything that needs a bit of imagination. Johan added the most boring and generic shit to the game,everything that he added was press a button and get X% of Y. Also he is the architect of the mana system and raped the game with the new tech age system. At least jake added the new missions system,now it feels a lot like playing unique campaign than just repeating the same thing you do with every other country.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Johan in charge of EU4 is sort of good news, I guess. He can't fuck up CK3 then.

Before he was hired, Jake was a notable powergamer who devised exploits to achieve various bizarre results, such as world conquest by Ryukyu. Plenty of his exploits were later patched up by Paradox.
He was the very definition of a map painter, caring little for historical accuracy or simply the game being fun for a casual player.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh no, the Popamoler is back in charge of EUIV.
Most likely. They gave him the job as lead of EU when that faggot johan went to make a supper successful franchise called rome. Now when that shit flopped he most likely fired jake because he make him look incompetent. I honestly don't know who is the new lead for EU4.
Johan is. :D I thought you knew, and hence you concluded that what you wrote.
Fuck,i was really interesting in the upcoming update,it looked that jake put a lot of interesting shit in it,but now the incompetent fag will just rape it and fill it with bugs.

Fake news all the way to satans asshole! He is the worst project leader out there,second only to his lover wiz....the one that made stellaris. Both of them are really shit at making anything that needs a bit of imagination. Johan added the most boring and generic shit to the game,everything that he added was press a button and get X% of Y. Also he is the architect of the mana system and raped the game with the new tech age system. At least jake added the new missions system,now it feels a lot like playing unique campaign than just repeating the same thing you do with every other country.
I imagine that Jake wasn't outright fired, but after Johan screwed up with Rome, and decided to go back to EUIV, Jake was offered some other role, or maybe offered Rome, and declined, deciding to leave instead.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Truth is, I didn't particularly like either one of them. I used to like EU when it was still more scripted and less sandbox. That didn't make it more historically accurate in terms of how systems represent or abstract the reality, but at least it was easier to roleplay through history, which was the way I wanted to play it. Now it's next to impossible due how wildly the world diverges from history because of the lack of scripting to hold the divergence within reasonable limits.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Truth is, I didn't particularly like either one of them. I used to like EU when it was still more scripted and less sandbox. That didn't make it more historically accurate in terms of how systems represent or abstract the reality, but at least it was easier to roleplay through history, which was the way I wanted to play it. Now it's next to impossible due how wildly the world diverges from history because of the lack of scripting to hold the divergence within reasonable limits.
Yeah,the new tech system is the worst thing that could have happened to the game. Now the game has become far too easy to get mana and to have max tech. At some point i don't even bother to spend it and let it sit at 999. I miss the times where i was going for no westernization asian country ,riding my endless hordes in to that musket fire :).

Johan developed EU4 for his in-house MP games. e.g. the tech changes were explicitly designed so that non-western nations could stay up on tech with no problem as a player otherwise they'd lose in MP.
Jake developed EU4 for his meme youtube games. e.g. "lets conquer the world as a pirate nation topkek so funny maymays"

Not that I particularly like Johan but he's better than Jake.

AwesomeButton

Patron
IMO the worst culprit is the mana system of adm/dip/mil points. The tech system isn't all that changed since EU 1, and can be easily modded so that certain cultures/religions/differently defined subsets are handicapped as they were historically. The institutions mechanic is generally nice, again it can be scripted to work in a historically plausible manner, the right institutions appearing at the right time.

What makes these efforts not very meaningful, IMO, is that anything this scripting can give the player comes down to some kind of bland, unispiring national modifier and ultimately to the mana points. In the old EU, your chief resources used to be your yearly income and your stability score. And they felt more valuable, more scarce than mana points feel now.

Mana was clearly built into the game from day 1 and its never going. But Johan seems to have gotten the hint that players dislike mana after the Imperator debacle so who knows what he'll do.

mondblut

Arcane
Johan developed EU4 for his in-house MP games. e.g. the tech changes were explicitly designed so that non-western nations could stay up on tech with no problem as a player otherwise they'd lose in MP.
Jake developed EU4 for his meme youtube games. e.g. "lets conquer the world as a pirate nation topkek so funny maymays"

I haven't played EU4 for several years, but from the looks of it, that Jake fellow appears to be a wholesome individual. Now that larper scum, MPtards and casual subhumans are the focus once more, EU will quickly descend back into shit. Enjoy your mana, peons.

Plenty of his exploits were later patched up by Paradox.

So they spent time fixing shit which affected almost nobody and was irrelevant (from a "cheating" perspective) in a primarily singleplayer genre instead of adding content or improving performance. Not surprised.

IMO the worst culprit is the mana system of adm/dip/mil points.

They could be ok if there were more forms of points and each was directly linked only to things which all logically would draw from the same resource pile. The problem with mana as it currently stands is that it's not really representative of a resource because, for example, you research better ship designs from the same pool as you convert culture and maintain relations with other countries. Obviously in reality it doesn't work that way.

But diplo points would be fine if they were strictly for international relations because then it would represent the resources you have available to the foreign affairs ministry and how they allocate those resources. In fact that's how they work in Victoria 2.

It's when the points stop being an abstraction of a real-world resource or concept and switch to being an abstraction of gameplay that they become a problem. Diplo points do ships and international relations and culture conversion because Paradox reduced the game down to three big elements of "War, Economy, Diplomacy" as though the game was some trash 4X and decided to slap maritime activity, international relations, and culture into "Diplomacy".

Last edited:

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
I will admit I was rather optimistic at the start, when Jake got hired by Paradox to help with EU4, but as an exploit fixer not an actual game designer. I think he had the
"right mind" of giving more "flexibility" for non-European nations to make them more fun to play, both in SP and MP. But the execution was rather poor, too much reliance on spending mana and fixed ETA events. I don't mind giving a warning to the player that some horrible consequences might happen but don't give an exact date!

Overall I still find EU2 modded a lot more engaging than EU4 (>EU3). Seems they changed direction with Imperator, maybe something can happen to EU4 too?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I will admit I was rather optimistic at the start, when Jake got hired by Paradox to help with EU4, but as an exploit fixer not an actual game designer. I think he had the
"right mind" of giving more "flexibility" for non-European nations to make them more fun to play, both in SP and MP. But the execution was rather poor, too much reliance on spending mana and fixed ETA events. I don't mind giving a warning to the player that some horrible consequences might happen but don't give an exact date!

Overall I still find EU2 modded a lot more engaging than EU4 (>EU3). Seems they changed direction with Imperator, maybe something can happen to EU4 too?
All that flexibility shit was johan thing. He was focusing on multiplayer and was shit playing the game. There was a cycle that went that way "they will play a multi game and johan looses,then he goes on about whining how X mechanic was unfair,and in the next patch we will see a dumbing down of it so it would be more fair,then it starts over". While jakes on another hand was focused on improving the singleplayer. I liked the most of his additions like ages(not the tech shit),trade leagues,mission trees,pirate nations etc etc. His focus was on making every nation feel different and unique, he tried to add in a unique government systems and shit and i do like that. Have you guys remember when most of the countries had generic nation ideas? I do believe that the game had improved a lot in some areas since he joined.

I remember someone here complaining about muh pirate republics....well they did existed and in the game they are mainly an options for old fags that have more than 8000 hours in it. If you don't like it then don't play it lol. Tho for me it was fun to make a pirate empire naxus into byz into rome , The Glorious Pirate Empire Of Rome :).

AwesomeButton

Patron
All that flexibility shit was johan thing. He was focusing on multiplayer and was shit playing the game. There was a cycle that went that way "they will play a multi game and johan looses,then he goes on about whining how X mechanic was unfair,and in the next patch we will see a dumbing down of it so it would be more fair,then it starts over".
I've heared this story before, but do you have any example of this happening? Just curious.

kelkorkesis

Novice
He was the very definition of a map painter, caring little for historical accuracy or simply the game being fun for a casual player.
DDRJake made EU4 fun for no one. I play this game strictly as a map painter. Under his tenure, a lot of retarded and arbitrary changes happened which ruined sandbox nature of the game. Nobody in EU4 team have no idea about how to play this game though. All I feel about next patch is dread.

He destroyed playability of non-European nations with "territorry corruption", trade companies and capital movement restriction.

I've heared this story before, but do you have any example of this happening? Just curious.
Here are some examples
Someone turned Ottoman to Byzantium with series of religion and culture switches to access overpowered Purple Phoenix missions, events and decisions. Next patch select few tags (one of them was Ottomans) arbitrarily blocked from country formation.
Someone fielded large amount of soldiers thanks to Revolutionary Target mechanic. Next patch it got nerfed heavily.
Someone got 100% sieged but didn't get peaced to spawn rebels. Next patch unconditional surrender added to force peace.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All that flexibility shit was johan thing. He was focusing on multiplayer and was shit playing the game. There was a cycle that went that way "they will play a multi game and johan looses,then he goes on about whining how X mechanic was unfair,and in the next patch we will see a dumbing down of it so it would be more fair,then it starts over".
Can't give you a direct citation,tho i have been fallowing the games for years now. I remember johan getting his ass handled with non euro country and then changing the tech system. You could clearly see how under him the focus was on multi,just check the patch notes and you will see. I remember that in the forums it was bag thing and nobody liked that. Johan is terrible player and he plays only multi. Also he is a mage snowflake faggot with very puffed up opinion of himself and his favourite asslicker is wiz. It is no surprise that he got to make a whole new game that ended up soulless garbage. All the DLC hate was accumulated throughout the years those two faggots were running the EU dev team. At least jake brought some spice in the game and had some pretty cool ideas.

Remember that time someone pointed out that EUIV has severe problems with the AI's whole "all or nothing" bullshit (really, a problem in most Paradox games, but at least in Vicky 2 it's not as pronounced) and Johan said he flat out doesn't care about AI issues and only PvP?

rVf7lrx.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He destroyed playability of non-European nations with "territorry corruption", trade companies and capital movement restricti
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga how? I could still do a world conquest with some african shit slinger tribe! Tho i do admit that trade companies are annoying and i disable the selling of provinces to euros.

He destroyed playability of non-European nations with "territorry corruption", trade companies and capital movement restriction.

The game is called EUROPA Universalis, dummy. Non-europeans are food for the taking.

The problem is it screwed playability of Asia... for players only. For AIs it makes no difference and they are still absurdly ahistorically strong, with virtually the whole world remaining right up with Europe on tech. The whole selling of provinces in Asia was an attempt to get European AIs to be able to beat Asian AIs and it still fell flat on its face since Indians will mob any landing party with 150k on-tech units with full artillery and similar generals. All the territorial corruption does is punish players for succeeding in Asia.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't give a fuck about the AI in this issue.. Its a matter of problem for the players vs players..

1) there was no incentive to fight a war for less than 100% warscore gains.
2) there is no incentive to ever give up early in a war, since losses are not recovered quick enough.
What a colossal dumbfuck this guy is. I had little idea it was so bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom