Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EVENT - a Minimalistic, Story-driven Tabletop RPG

Darkseal

Barely Literate
Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that I've just published my latest tabletop Role-Playing Game project, which is called EVENT. It's a story-driven, minimalistic RPG released under Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) and thus freely available for download and play.

You can find the download links, together with a 3 minutes presentation video and a review of the game, in this post.

The presentation video can be also found on Youtube at the following link: https://youtu.be/DAIR374gDKA

Let me know what you think about it!

In case you like the game, you can also support our crowfunding campaign on Kickstarter, which we launched few days ago to provide EVENT and their players with some additional content, a Paperback Edition, proper artwork, a community website and much more!

If you want to know more about the project, the Kickstarter page is quite self-explanatory, however here's a brief introduction explaining the game concept and key features.

Anyone with some RPG experience knows that the above aspects can play a decisive role for a successful session: complex ruleset, slow mechanics and slow system of resolution of actions and interactions are often cause of frustration, thus resulting in a disappointing gaming experience for gamemaster and players.

To address these issues, we came out with the following:

• A skinny manual (less than 30 pages);
  • A limited amount of core rules, easy to learn & remember;
  • A distinctive Character creation System, based upon a sharp Questions & Answers mechanics;
  • A strong narrative premise (the Event) that will motivate the players to act as a group, providing their characters a common goal.
  • A brand-new character creation system (The Three Questions) that will allow players and gamemasters to build PCs and NPCs in few minutes using a narrative-based approach.
  • An efficient Actions & Interaction outcome resolution ruleset, featuring a hybrid approach containing a mix of narrative choices, auctions and dice rolls;
  • Innovative contest-resolution mechanics that will force players to choose between winning a contest or narrating its outcome (or try to do both things), similar to those featured in most auction-based Board Games.

The last two points are especially important, as they both empower the players with the chance to partially take control of the story, thus becoming the gamemaster for a short while to conceive and narrate what happens. This “collective management” of the game’s story is definitely the most interesting aspect of the game: such innovative approach is also well highlighted within the manual, starting from the first sentence:

"EVENT is a game system designed to collectively manage the actions and interactions of a variable number of characters played by players and / or the gamemaster from a given event. The combination of these factors will lead to the natural definition of a story within the context of reference, which is called the setting."

In order to play Event you’re going to need: a group of friends, a handful of 6-sided dice, some paper sheets and at least one pencil. As in most RPGs, one of the players, known as the gamemaster, will take care of the core elements of the story, while the others, to whom the manual simply refers as players, will play the role of a single character apiece.

The Creative Common edition of the game manual, containing everything required to play, is available for free download in italian and english language: the PDF links are available in the Kickstarter project page.

Have a good game!

Andhaira

Arcane
I sense a lot of inspiration from TES Oblivion in your 'rpg'

Darkseal

Barely Literate
Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that I've just published my latest tabletop Role-Playing Game project, which is called EVENT. It's a story-driven, minimalistic RPG released under Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) and thus freely available for download and play.

You can find the download links, together with a 3 minutes presentation video and a review of the game, in this post.

The presentation video can be also found on Youtube at the following link: https://youtu.be/DAIR374gDKA

Let me know what you think about it!

Hi there,

quick update: since I managed to arrange a pricing agreement to a local publisher that will publish the EVENT Paperback at a discounted rate, i chose to revamp the Kickstarter Project in order to lower the pricing of all the rewards to allow everyone - including those who already backed them - to save a few bucks.

Here's the new Kickstarter Project URL:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkseal/event-a-minimalistic-tabletop-role-playing-game-rp/

I really hope you'll like (and back) it!

Darkseal

Barely Literate
Quick update: the EVENT website is now live at https://www.event-rpg.com/

Let me know if you like it
smile.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom