Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Everspace - a rogue-like PC space shooter

ArchAngel

Arcane
I forgot to mention is that Everspace is randomly generated with each new run and you don't get to free roam. You jump from one area to next area, explore that area and then move on to the next jump gate. In each area you got limited time to spend there because you are being chased by almost unkillable foe (I was able to clear them much much later when I had access to better ships, more upgrades and much better gear). Jumps do give you some choices where you want to go but you can never jump back, you always must move forward.

Fishy

Savant
Everspace is rogue lite game with fast space combat (think Descent games)

This pretty much nails it. Everspace is basically a prettier Descent set in space instead of mine shafts. It has its own additions with quests spanning multiple sectors or multiple runs, but at the core is a Descent-style flight control and combat, with combat the main point of the game. It's very enjoyable, very pretty, and makes for a good pick up game as you can resume any run from the point at which you entered the last jump point (that can actually be abused as a quick-reload mechanic but then it quickly kills the fun imho) and while a full run can take a little while, individual jump point zones are quick.
If one likes the base game, I can't recommend the DLC enough. It adds more of everything which helps a lot with making each run feel a bit different. A new ship, new zones, new enemies, new NPCs, new quests, etc. The base game can quickly feel samey without it, and the expansion has a fair bit of stuff that makes things feel fresh for a longer time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I forgot about the DLC. I need to try the game again with it. I played it a lot after the release and then forgot about it for a longer while.
My favorite ship was the big bulky one although I mastered all 3.

Fishy

Savant
Heh, I'm a bit of a bore ship-wise: I really like the base Interceptor. And yeah, the DLC adds plenty of stuff. One of the best things is the NPC quests: there's only so many of them, but each one will take multiple runs to be seen through to the end. It makes for a lovely pacing as they get woven into the runs as opposed to being rushed through in 20 minutes and forgotten forever after.

Azazel

Arbiter
I've been following this (ie wishlisted and forgot) for a while now : https://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/Angels_Fall_First/ Seems to have everything from individual level run+gun to ship battles. Anyone played it? Its still in EA but IIRC Everspace was EA too right?

AFF has been in development in some capacity for like 16 years. The product as it stands now is decent and better than Star Citizen, but there's fucking nobody playing it so it's not very fun.

Morkar Left

I've been following this (ie wishlisted and forgot) for a while now : https://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/Angels_Fall_First/ Seems to have everything from individual level run+gun to ship battles. Anyone played it? Its still in EA but IIRC Everspace was EA too right?

AFF has been in development in some capacity for like 16 years. The product as it stands now is decent and better than Star Citizen, but there's fucking nobody playing it so it's not very fun.

Isn't it just a space combat simulator / fps? Star Citizen is supposed to provide a sandbox with complete economy...

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

So its primarily multiplayer? I don't get MMO vibes from the store page though. It does advertise having bots come to think of it.

Azazel

Arbiter
It's a multiplayer boarding action game. Control a big-ass starship, have your buddies board the opposing ship, go capture the helm or blow the engines. Good fun, if you have enough people.

Norfleet

Sometimes I feel like multiplayer space games are often missing the point of being in space. What drives a man to be in space? Because he wants to be as far the fuck away from everyone else as he can possibly be. You don't go into space if you enjoy the company of your fellow man. Otherwise you go space-mad.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Im looking for a VR-capable 6DOF arcade shooter for my Oculus Rift. Should i pick up this or Overload?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

From what I had read, AFF played a bit like Star WArs Battlefront, but with higher focus on ships.

Inspectah

Savant
Is this game good to play with a flightstick or Will I be gimping myself by not using the mouse?

Fishy

Savant
Is this game good to play with a flightstick or Will I be gimping myself by not using the mouse?

You will absolutely gimp yourself by not using the mouse. It's more Air Quake than anything from a flight/combat perspective, you just have more strafing axes. I tried the controller on the first one for a bit since I enjoy the relaxed hands position, but it just felt too limiting and well, just not as fun. You really want to tap into the nimbleness of the movement.

Ash

Arcane
Fucking good game. Glad I got this randomly on a whim.

Criticisms:

-Should be more variety of size of levels. They're all roughly the same size, with 2-5 points of interest scattered in the same sized playspace. Also just a few more types of Points of Interest would have been nice.
-While there are quite a few environmental hazards/level modifiers which are really cool - black holes, solar flares, electrical storms, gas clouds etc...why in the ever living fuck is there not an asteroid shower?
-The DLC is good but it went from lonely immersive space game to talking to a bunch of weirdos all of whom are relatively uninteresting. And you spend more time hearing the bland protag talk too, and it's just not hugely engaging. Not terrible, just meh. I highly recommend this DLC for the notable gameplay expansion but only after you notice the base game getting stale.
-Balancing issues. Clear superior options across all types of equipment: Shock rifle, beam laser, flak cannon, corrosion missile etc etc. And almost EVERY single "enhancement" that comes with a pro and a con is utter garbage. Also a few largely useless perks, but most are worthwhile.
-Music is decent but could be better and more variety.
-Final FINAL boss is a bit lame.
-Some ships need some serious upgrading to become competent.
-Collision damage is perhaps too punishing, even if close to realistic. There's only one real upgrade choice to directly combat it and it isn't worth it because it also comes with significantly reduced inertia dampening.
-There is basically no good incentive to play on hardcore difficulty aside from the challenge itself, and that level of challenge may be pushing it as the base difficulties themselves are challenging, even easy at the start. Maybe I'm just a scrub at Space Quake.

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Fucking good game. Glad I got this randomly on a whim.

Criticisms:

-Should be more variety of size of levels. They're all roughly the same size, with 2-5 points of interest scattered in the same sized playspace. Also just a few more types of Points of Interest would have been nice.
-While there are quite a few environmental hazards/level modifiers which are really cool - black holes, solar flares, electrical storms, gas clouds etc...why in the ever living fuck is there not an asteroid shower?
-The DLC is good but it went from lonely immersive space game to talking to a bunch of weirdos all of whom are relatively uninteresting. And you spend more time hearing the bland protag talk too, and it's just not hugely engaging. Not terrible, just meh. I highly recommend this DLC for the notable gameplay expansion but only after you notice the base game getting stale.
-Balancing issues. Clear superior options across all types of equipment: Shock rifle, beam laser, flak cannon, corrosion missile etc etc. And almost EVERY single "enhancement" that comes with a pro and a con is utter garbage. Also a few largely useless perks, but most are worthwhile.
-Music is decent but could be better and more variety.
-Final FINAL boss is a bit lame.
-Some ships need some serious upgrading to become competent.
-Collision damage is perhaps too punishing, even if close to realistic. There's only one real upgrade choice to directly combat it and it isn't worth it because it also comes with significantly reduced inertia dampening.
-There is basically no good incentive to play on hardcore difficulty aside from the challenge itself, and that level of challenge may be pushing it as the base difficulties themselves are challenging, even easy at the start. Maybe I'm just a scrub at Space Quake.
You get 25% more credits on hard and there are more elite enemies which I think have a higher chance of dropping money, codes, rare items. I switched to playing hard after I had a bunch of upgrades and It did speed up my progress due to the increased income per run.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom