Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Conquistador Discussion Thread

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
You don't "own" a GOG game anymore than people torrenting it.
What do you mean exactly? That you don't own a physical copy with a nice box etc? Or that it's illegal to share it? (it's also illegal with box games I guess)
From a practical angle, yes it's like torrenting but legal. So it's imo superior to steam and similar.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I never thought I'd see anyone try to pass off shamelessly sucking Gaben's cock as edginess, figures it would be Metro of all people.

You don't "own" a Steam game anymore than people torrenting it.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
RELOADED and SKIDROW stores guaranteed me that their games work forever, so there is no problem in donating to the developers you like that is exactly what you do these days when you buy something on any online store with the amount of torrent sites available. I only refuse to buy shit from two places:
Origin = Is there something that EA publish that is worth buying?
Uplay = Fuck french assholes. Ubisoft deserve that people pirate their shit.

DeepOcean

Arcane

BS you can and should DL DRM FREI copy and make a backup.... the Steam or Origin on the other hand... :roll:

GOG torrents = my Steam backup copies.:smug:
Man, GOG games come so organized on a neat installer.I almost feel guilty in doing the same thing . Sometimes I feel so lazy in dragging and droping those cracks and messing with dosbox, I almost wished someone to do that work for me but charging me 5 to10 kwans for a few minutes of work is too much . I felt tempted in buying System Shock 2 on GOG one time but then I remembered that I would only give money to EA, the horror in thinking that EA would get more than 0 kwans from me made me desist and I never opened the GOG page again.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I have simply felt no desire to play this game after playing it for 30 minutes.

I am not saying I hate or love it. It's just that I have had no sense of compulsion from what I saw initially.

What may I look forward to later, that you guys consider very interesting? I am trying to summon the interest to play it, but I just end up going back to playing my run of BGT under SCS mod.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Text stories/adventures are pretty well written. Otherwise i enjoy a simplistic, but still turn based combat.
I would say going from quest to quest (and events/battles), following the story is quite involving. Otherwise the gameplay is lacking. Riding around empty jungle, collecting stuff and camp is not that rewarding.

Anyway - i am in the middle of mexico and wanted to get some spoilers for Hispaniola..
1. So what do i need to make Esteban join me? Is that even possible? How will the Gouvernor react? Any consequences?
2. If i do not discover the sacrifice temple - will i get the marker after the native chick is kidnapped by Esteban? Or do i have to learn the location somehow?

Niektory

one of some
Patron
Anyway - i am in the middle of mexico and wanted to get some spoilers for Hispaniola..
2. If i do not discover the sacrifice temple - will i get the marker after the native chick is kidnapped by Esteban? Or do i have to learn the location somehow?
No marker, only vague directions. You have to find it yourself, which can be difficult to do in time if you're not spoiled.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
This game can really piss you off sometimes.
Like, "Oh, you're spending hours to pick every 200ish valuables chest to amass riches? Let me steal 4000 valuables on camp while on 90% guard. Oh, and i'll do that again next time too. U mad bro?"

And this crappy yellow glow around the cities? You can run it on super advanced hardware only it seems. Every time it's on screen, my pc prepares to launch into space, at least the sounds of all kinds of fans are suggesting that. Ruined the "major secret" puzzle for me. Cannot read in peace.

... But writing makes up for that - just played through some pretty grim dark quests. It really allows you to play a ruthless, mean motherfucker.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
RPGCodex should be ashamed of the promotion they gave this 'game'

If some random mainstream studio had made it don't think it would have got more than 65-70%

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It may have shitty optimization\engine use, I'll give you that. They say Unity sucks for that large of an overworld map- so they should have noticed it in the beginning and made it function differently. Maybe make it a simpler, more detailed 2D.

But it is still a great game.

oscar

Arcane
I gave up fairly late in the game after an Amazon quest bugged out and my map was wiped multiple times. Patches have probably fixed it so I may return.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I gave up fairly late in the game after an Amazon quest bugged out and my map was wiped multiple times. Patches have probably fixed it so I may return.

The map wipe can always be restored by reloading a previous save, I think.
I always saved after every combat anyway cause this game loves to CTD on loading screens due to the ridiculously high RAM usage.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Just finished it. Technical problems aside, it's a well written and enjoyable game with a bit simple, yet solid mechanics. Very nice for a first effort, well worth supporting/20 dollars.
And i don't think a major publisher would have allowed some quests (without streamlining). It shows, that they could do what they felt was good or morally ambiguous.

I might be interested in assembling a highly religious, greedy, aggressive crew and make a murderous true conquistador run.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
My recommendation for you- try and do a relatively "Nice" conquistador run.
One thing this game does great is dash your expectations for a peaceful resolution right into the ground.

And naturally, have it be on Ironman.

Nathair

Educated
I'm not totally sure about that - if you're playing properly nice then you'll refuse to start butchering people for either the Axtecs or the other people, fully explore the final continent and leave the game in quite a content peaceful state. Not formally finished perhaps but who cares? Seemed quite a good resolution to me.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Well, not a COMPLETELY pacifistic fellow. But one who's nice and still wants to earn some money from his little trip to Mesoamerica.

Nathair

Educated
Oh I did plenty of fighting and looted plenty of places. Its just that you end up with one Aztec quest which is basically go an slaughter X set of people and a similar one for the other folk. Before then you don't really have to do anything to upset either set of people, and there's objectively very little in game motivation for someone being nice, or even just trying to stay sanely neutral, to do either. So I didn't :)

Oh did I miss it, or is there no (non extreme!) way to lose followers? Ideally you'd leave them in the fortress or the like. The change to not scaling the results of hunting makes trips with big parties quite punishing.

J1M

Arcane
I played a bit, finished some quests. I like almost everything. Party building, fresh setting, serious non-wacky writing, fine combat, choice and consequences and carefully hand made unique events. The world feels dangerous and unpredictable, and I love exploration. I even somewhat like the goddamn huge trees, since you never know what you can stumble upon. Game is addictive as hell. I already had some true bro events which beat any biowarian dialogue easy, but came just from mechanics. Like my little nun Valiente with eyes of a Bamby getting arqebuse and shooting pagan priest with it, who cried curses on us, and then she drank from some well and got sick with jungle fever. But we were all safe cause my soldier had a tasty sausage when we ran out of supplies which he shared with the party. Thanks "Maestro" Artego :bro:

Shooting seriously sucks in the beginning, any advice on combat? I seriously struggle when there are no choking points. And it seems whoever runs into melee first and gets first hit wins. I can't find any way to prevent first strike on my guys, no overwatch or anything.
From my experiences, hunters are not the longbow soldiers you want them to be. They are primarily in the party so that you do not starve in the wilderness.

If you are having trouble in combat, you likely need to be using more scouts in battle. Their outstanding mobility will allow you to use flanking tactics that go beyond a simple number comparison. Additionally, there is a setting that is basically "overwatch" from xcom, but I forget what it is called. The overwatch action depends on which weapon is currently equipped.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Not exactly- you can only activate the overwatch thing if you equip a long range weapon.

The melee-overwatch thing is just the attack of opportunity.

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Was watching AiGameDev Interview with the Conqman devs.
What teh fuck is that on your face, son?! Jesus...

STyNc3v.jpg

Their 'AI' picks a unit at random, and goes through a list of 'strategies', evaluates them... kinda... and ... thats it. Lol. Its not even a finite state machine... Its dumbfuck shit scripting. The 'strategies' are created buy the devs, they have 'requirements' like 'it has to be a shaman' and 'there is a barrel'. The picking of a strategie is a bit random and it has a defensive or offensive property. Bah. No planning at all. Pathetic. No wonder the game was shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom