Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Expeditions: Conquistador Released

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
wait a minute there, ironyuri has the time to play a game AND write a review, but not to update his CYOA?

i call for a widespread riot! this is a travesty!!

Tigranes

Arcane
His review better feature the exploits of Herr Kleinmann across the Mexican plains.

Project: Eternity
Just out of interest: Have you chaps found it to be equally plausible playing a peaceful diplohippie or a more traditional "murder the redskins!" conquistador? The game seems to want to direct you towards diplohippiedom, even giving you a native guide and all to begin with.

As for the game: excellent idea, not too keen on the micromanagement involving that many party members or the camping screen. Random events and encounters during camping are neat, though. All in all, not too excited about the game. I seem to get lost doing pointless sidetrackery a lot of the time, the World is somewhat bland and samey jungle vista and the combat reminds me too much of King's Bounty, a game I hated for not being HOMM.

Dunno, just can't get that worked up about this game, try as I might.

As near as I can tell the options are between a kind-hearted conquistador who only murders people when they don't give them what they want, and a completely anachronistic Carebear who actually cares about and respects them. The option to play a real black-heart is just not there.

Also the (lack of) sexism really bothers me. There is no apparent difference between being a male or female protagonist, and apparently the extremely repressive, machismo Spain had no problem making half of their NPCs females. I don't care about the presence or lack of women, but the fact that it is written to 20th century U.S. American morals is jarring.

With that said, the game is really like King's Bounty and I am digging it.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
:lol:
During my first-try, Aguirre difficulty, almost half of my party dies. I should have concentrated medicine on the most valuable members rather than spreading it around in the hopes of healing them all.

wjw

Augur
Bought it on Steam an played for couple of hours. Thus far i like it very much. Seems to be i amon a winning streak, cause i have little difficulty defeating rebels/natives and whatnot.
It's never too easy too...

Just out of interest: Have you chaps found it to be equally plausible playing a peaceful diplohippie or a more traditional "murder the redskins!" conquistador? The game seems to want to direct you towards diplohippiedom, even giving you a native guide and all to begin with.

As for the game: excellent idea, not too keen on the micromanagement involving that many party members or the camping screen. Random events and encounters during camping are neat, though. All in all, not too excited about the game. I seem to get lost doing pointless sidetrackery a lot of the time, the World is somewhat bland and samey jungle vista and the combat reminds me too much of King's Bounty, a game I hated for not being HOMM.

Dunno, just can't get that worked up about this game, try as I might.

As near as I can tell the options are between a kind-hearted conquistador who only murders people when they don't give them what they want, and a completely anachronistic Carebear who actually cares about and respects them. The option to play a real black-heart is just not there.

Also the (lack of) sexism really bothers me. There is no apparent difference between being a male or female protagonist, and apparently the extremely repressive, machismo Spain had no problem making half of their NPCs females. I don't care about the presence or lack of women, but the fact that it is written to 20th century U.S. American morals is jarring.

With that said, the game is really like King's Bounty and I am digging it.

Anachronistic, yes, but not as much as you might think. Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' - written in the 1600s - directly quotes passages from an earlier anti-imperliasm work written back in the 1400s. The themes, where the play's 'villain' Calliban is only villainous because he refuses to recognise the outsiders' authority (and is given all of the play's most beautiful/powerful monologues, just in case the audience misses the point), and has his story set parallel to a (by then fairly predictable if done 'straight') shakespearean love story, resulting is a fucked up ending where the 'merry lovers' are heaping shame on the disobedient 'evil' Caliban as he promises to repent and learn his place (again, if you've got any doubt that the author intended the ending to be disturbing as fuck, take a look at who gets the best monologues, and all the parts where caliban is waxing lyrical about the beauty of the island where the europeans, encountering the same things, see only a jungle hellhole).

Simillarly, there's little in mainstream modern feminism that you wouldn't find in Mill's 'On the Status of Women' (1788).

I'm not saying it isn't anachronistic. But there's an irritating tendency for every generation to assume that it's the first to discover inequality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom