Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Expeditions: Viking April Newsletter: GDC Recap, Gameplay Video at Gamereactor

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alex Mintsioulis; Expeditions: Viking; Logic Artists

Expeditions: Viking was at EGX Rezzed last week, but it doesn't look like any previews or gameplay footage from there have shown up on the Internet yet. That's probably why this month's newsletter is basically just a recap of previews from GDC. A couple of them we already spotted last month, but we missed Gamereactor's preview, which was posted a bit late. It's a 23 minute gameplay demonstration, shorter than xBeau's but following the same beats. Turns out you can cram in a lot more detail in less time when your host isn't making retarded jokes all the time. The ending is a bit of a fiasco, however, as it turns out that it's not a great idea to bring a bow to a one-on-one melee duel.

Hopefully some footage from EGX will turn up, but even if it doesn't, the game will also be at PAX East later this month, where the team will be showcasing the same new content, which involves a quest to explore some sort of haunted cave.

Jinn

Arcane
I am starting to get very excited about this game. This is going to be that good ass shit.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Ranged units will add a status effects to their targets called distracted, even if they miss. We're hoping to make ranged units feel less useless than Conquistador.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ranged units will add a status effects to their targets called distracted, even if they miss. We're hoping to make ranged units feel less useless than Conquistador.

"Suppressed" is the term often used in modern setting-based tactical games. Is this a similar thing?

vonAchdorf

Arcane

That sounds like a good and "realistic" idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Is this a similar thing?
Yeah, we felt suppressed was a little too modern a word, but it's essentially the same.

Distracted sounds weird too, though. In the context of a medieval fantasy roleplaying game, it's a word that's usually associated with being confused or dazed. Makes it seem like the arrow cast some sort of distraction spell, rather than the arrow itself being what caused the distraction.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I read it as distracted because the person feels threatened and is looking out for other arrows, so he cannot focus entirely on the melee.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Distracted sounds weird too, though. In the context of a medieval fantasy roleplaying game, it's a word that's usually associated with being confused or dazed. Makes it seem like the arrow cast some sort of distraction spell, rather than the arrow itself being what caused the distraction.

What, either my English skill fails me horribly or this is some really strange semantic pedantry. If someone starts shooting at me I am being distracted by that, right?

And since we are at semantics, if I am Dazed after a shot that would imply that I was hit by the arrow, while I can be distracted by someone shooting at me, independent of whether he hit me or not. Oh well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
A more verbose "Intimidated by arrow fire" may be the best way to go.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like suppressed better. Distracted makes it sound like they have ocd.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless we can have it changed to "Bothered" I vote for keeping it as distracted.

Also: game looks good so far.
I keep forgetting this exists because of all the "high profile" RPGs we're being carpet-bombed with these days.
It is always a pleasant surprise every time a new bit of information or footage is released.

norolim

Arcane
Oh man, it's good to be back on the Codex. This is the only place where a new gameplay video provokes a full page discussion solely about the semantics of the word "distracted". :D

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Incidentally, it really ought to be beleaguered by arrow fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom