Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Expeditions: Viking - historical Viking RPG from Logic Artists

Discussion in 'Expeditions' started by Infinitron, Apr 27, 2017.

1. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm loving this game, but it has some glaring loading problems. The first time I load a saved game, it crashes. Everytime I enter a location for the first time, it crashes. Now I can't enter Eoforwic because everytime I do, the game stops during the loading screen and crashes. Does anyone know if there's a solution to this?

^ Top  
  2. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I never actually had a CTD when I played but it got stuck loading twice in my playthrough - stopped during loading screen.

This occurred for me when I had to go see the Bishop about doing a quest. It never loaded the interior of the Church properly and it worked the second time on reload.

^ Top  
  3. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I loved Expeditions Conquistador but everytime i pick Vikings i end up dropping it before ending Denmark.
    Playing right now and this time its the difficulty that is bothering me the most which is easy to fix. I am playing at Insane, because i think thats the difficulty i picked for my old saves (how can i check that out, anyway?), but because i didnt remember most of the game
    i started over at insane. Why insane? because Conquistador was very easy and i had to play at the hardest difficulty for enjoying the game.

Right now i reached Ribe and i am already at game over. 4 of my companions are injured, i have two medics at my party, one being myself, and even after wasting valuables buying medicine i cant heal some of the injuries. From my previous experience with Conquistador i know that i have entered the infinite downard spiral of doom. Maybe i will have to lower the difficulty to hard. Anyway i hope i play it through this time.

^ Top  
  4. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    You can return to Skjern to get fully healed by the witch (seems like easiest solution).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Shadowfang Arcane

Shadowfang
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    I didnt knew that was an option, thanks for sharing Sensuki. I can only now imagine how much easier it would have had it.

^ Top  
  6. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    I forgot it existed in my last playthrough as well (which is p. dumb as I played the beta before and after it was added) and ran into a similar but less bad situation where I had to spend pretty much all my money on herbs and medicine and almost ran out the Denmark clock trying to fully heal before leaving for Britain. Only after I did it did I remember you could get healed at home :lol:

^ Top  
  7. NJClaw Ontopolover Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've just finished Expeditions: Viking and I don't know where to start to describe how much I enjoyed my 50 hours with this game. I haven't played Conquistador, but I'm going to buy it as soon as it's on sale (I would pay full price right now if I didn't have an already huge backlog).

You can play characters with different motivations and you can deal with situations according to the kind of adventurer you want your character to be. I don't think it has an insane amount of replay value, because, even if quests have multiple outcomes, they usually impact the world in ways that don't change what you are going to do during your playthrough, but it's still nice seeing your actions affect the story. Usually I always play a goody two-shoes "paladin" character, but this game made want to play a blood thirsty barbarian with no regard for human lives outside of his clan.

The story is well grounded and I can't remember when was the last time I enjoyed the writing in a game this much. The only false step that bothered me is the occasional "huge battle between armies" that ends out being simplified in the same exact encounters you fought for the entire rest of the game.

The resources management is extremely simple and it doesn't overstays its welcome, exactly like crafting and combat. My only problem with combat is that most skills are useless, while some of them are always extremely useful or outright broken. Encounters are still satisfying, even if a bit repetitive.

Overall, an excellent game with great atmosphere that lets you experience a fascinating adventure.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top