Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking - historical Viking RPG from Logic Artists

hivemind

People on steam complaining about no exp from kills lmao

Not giving sp for kills is penalising people that like to fight. Fightning atm has no purpose other than to advance your goals for the eventual quest completion. Its unnatural how its delt with atm. The only other thing I can think of is the loot system. Make the loot from dead guys more useful.

THIS IS THE AUDIENCE THAT RPGfication BRINGS

Tigranes

Arcane
"Fightning atm has no purpose other than to advance your goals "

He has gazed into the nihilistic abyss at the heart of all fightning

Starwars

Arcane
I suspect the RPGification will just mean increased busywork without necessarily improving the game
Yes.
I don't understand why people prefer running around an entire mini-city with two or so dozen buildings and mouseovering all the NPCs in order to find the 2-3 with which you can talk and get a sidequest from to the Conquistador style of a city being largely just displayed as a few intractable points of interest. It's pointless filler.

At least not with the camera setup coupled with the area layout in the game as is. It's very hard to get a good overview on where you are and where you're headed with the very topdown camera, and there is very little in the way of standout landmarks in these rather large areas.

That said, the areas themselves are quite nice and atmospheric I think. But yeah, it doesn't make for great gameplay in my opinion. But I have to say that I'm enjoying the areas in the second campaign much more.

But yup, I would've also rather have had them expanding upon the Conquistador style of gameplay and improving that.

Parabalus

Arcane
How do you start combat on your own? I see a bunch of enemies, but I have to walk into melee range with my archer leader to start the combat, they also act first. Utter horseshit.

Game is fun so far, I tried conquistador and found it unplayable so this is a step up for me.

Game is really buggy, there is an infinite XP bug in the first 30 minutes. Didn't see one of those in a decade.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Overall i have had fun but at the same time it have not been a painless experience.

The number of bugs that just break everything is insane. Also the looting is annoying as hell, it gets worse when you knock the enemy out because then they roll and they are hard to target.

Some of the fun bugs:
Quests not updating, doing quests in the "wrong" order cause the quest to stop working, character's being instantly healed to max health after i crit them. Enemies have infinit health.
Enemy have 100% block, 100% damage reduction and deals 100's of damage on each swing, your character's don't gain any things from new items. Camping some times crash the game, loading some times cause the game to crash.
The enemy is "dead" but not dead, he can attack but i can't target him. The enemy is dead he won't attack but he can't die.

There are more bugs and issues but what i would like to see is things like:
*If i place the camera so i look towards the north then it should continue to be like that and not rotate (randomly?) when i enter / exit a area or a building. Keep it the same direction.
*To not have the main character stand in melee while he have a bow due to having a conversation. I can understand if you are ambushed but allow one to have a "zone" or a area where you can place your character's at the start of the combat. One super annoying thing is how your melee tanks are almost always stuck behind your ranged characters.

Starwars

Arcane
Much as I've whined about the game so far, it, like Conquistador, manages to feel like something really special at times. The feeling of roleplaying and making choices within a historical setting, travelling on the overland map, the feel and music. That all makes for something pretty unique.

Hats off to the composer, the music is extremely good at times.

Jinn

Arcane
Wanted to post another bug. When you're camping and one of your hird find themselves in a dangerous situation and you decided to have another follower save them, the person who is actually in trouble can be chosen to save themselves.

For example, Ketill fell through some ice and I sent Ketill in after him. Ketill rose out of the ice carrying Ketill to safety.

Parabalus

Arcane
Another easy bug : You can't set people to hunt etc. if they are being treated, but if you auto assign it skips the requirement.

Game needs a bunch of patches, but the core idea is fun. Don't like the amount of random basic loot containers, the tedium reminds me of D:OS.

Quillon

Arcane
Finished act 1 with some crashes at later maps, all crashes happened during loading. No quest bugs yet thankfully; would have been the most annoying. Going across the see with additional help from Skellige(created Cerys, Hjalmar & Ermion for the motley crew :P ).

So far the most negative thing is still the same; exploring/cleaning up the maps is a chore with this cam angle...and loot containers.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This is an odd one.

When I boot up the game after turning my PC on the game hangs for a while (Not Responding) and recovers after about 20 seconds, however my FPS is really bad in the game. If I quit and relaunch - it loads quickly and is fine. Weird

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I think I've been in the first real challenging fight in the game, the one you fight osdred's men on the bridge in Eoforwic after returning from the bishop's mission. Those archers are no joke. I just wish more fights were like that.

Btw I've been experiencing an annoying bug where in the middle of the fight after me or the enemy execute an attack action nothing happens and the round won't pass. Can't even reload the game because UI won't show up. Got triggered real hard when that happened at the end of the above fight, had to start it all over again.

Last edited:

harhar!

Augur
My thoughts:

- Game is generally fun, combat is tactical.
- Too easy most of the time, even on hardest difficulty. Especially camping is now super easy.
- Looting is dumb.
- Some fights are ridiculus, why do I have to start the fight with 4 guys and 2 with half health, instead of 6 against 8 opponents?
- Bugs galore.

Disgruntled

Savant
All the bug reports and imbalance issues have scared me away from continuing my play-through despite the fun ive had.

I could live with a few minor glitches but some of the combat quirks turns me off from spoiling the game for myself, i only played till the tree picking but archers being OP is already obvious with that quick shot skill.
Hopefully they arent stuck squashing bugs for too long and tweak the fighting as well.

cruelio

Savant
This is biggest disappointment so far of 2017. When Torment came out and was shit I didn't care because I expected nothing less from gaming's greatest failure Brian Fargo (who still gets space on the front page of this very website, nice!). But this is sad stuff form people whose very first game was extremely bold foray into murdering Indians and taking their shit.

- So many game breaking bugs, which per the developers themselves they have STILL not dealt with. The amount and severity of bugs implies 1) they did no testing at all or 2) they decided it was ship and have customers be paid beta testers or go bankrupt. I'm leaning towards 2 after they shipped flop co-op spy game which was a tremendously stupid decision for them to even try.

- The combat is garbage. They listened to the people who said archers sucked in the first game and made archers broken. The game now revolves around killing enemy archers before they kill your archers. The nightmare scenario in this game is when the enemies get to go first for no discernible reason and they alpha strike your party with their archers. Hope everyone in your party, including the archers you brought to counter their archers, is decked out in chain mail and wearing a shield (not hard to accomplish because of the broken resource and crafting system, another huge problem). I beat the game on the hardest difficulty btw after deciding not to back down even after learning the game was set to hardest by default due to a bug (seriously! they did not even open up the options menu before shipping the game!) so I don't want to hear some bullshit like "if it's too easy you should have made it harder."

- Bizarrely stripped down from first game. Why can't I just explore like the first game, instead I'm forced to hop from camp to camp in lame approximation of actually exploring? Why can't I set my party's formation before battle anymore? How come the only optional locations not tied to quests are monasteries and camps (lul) that only exist to get raided? Remember those cool choose your own adventure sequences where you raid pyramids from the first game? The closest thing to those now is one (1) cave where you pass two skill checks to get to the treasure at the end.

It really seems to me like they were faced with shipping or going out of business. That would explain why this game is so shit, with nothing tested and stripped down features, when the first game was such a surprising breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
I was tempted, but I'm glad I didn't buy this game. Sick of the bugs and terrible customer support.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Actually I would say they've been pretty good about it - devs are very active on the steam forums giving people temporary workarounds to quest bugs and they acknowledged the issues right away unlike inXile and others before them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, customer support is good, altho squashing bugs is harder than said.
I am not too far into the game, is it true locations outside quests are only camps?
Granted the locations now are alot bigger and have the quests inside instead of world map overworld and little battle stage inside.

I am too early to give proper judgement

Sensuki

Arcane
When I first played the beta I was a bit disappointed at the change from the HoMM style gameplay to the more Baldur's Gate style (even though I really like BG style). The actual areas offer alright exploration, but it's a lot easier to run across a moderate size area, clear out the fog of war and hold a highlight button to find all the loot containers, and see NPCs through the fog.

Exploration in Conquistador was a lot more abstract because it was experienced in intermittent events in betwen the worldmap travel & camping routine. Every 22 footsteps or whatever it was you had to make camp, so there was a routine gameplay in place that you had to do often several times before you found anything, and even then finding locations was a bit more difficult.

The locations available in Denmark have more content in them than El Salvador (or whatever the island was called) in Conquistador, however players are able to complete the content a lot quicker due to the fact that they are contained in the Baldur's Gate style areas and most quests or events are resolved on the same map, and some quest objectives are located in a different map. I have also yet to encounter a random battle encounter (which was commonplace in E:C and took up a lot of game time).

I would say that the overland travel & 2D CYOA + battle map combo was relatively unique, and now that they've changed to a more traditional style it's easier to compare against something like Baldur's Gate and I think it's easier to find a moderate execution of a standard formula less charming than a moderate execution of a non-standard exploration & gameplay formula.

Areas look great and are very atmospheric though, if the VFX effects in some cases have gone a bit too far.

SniperHF

Arcane
Kinda tired of my main character always getting murdered right at the start at a 100% clip of any combat with enemy initiative. Perpetually injured.

Also is the prep phase from E:C totally gone? Or does it make an appearance later on special set pieces?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
after around 10 hours, i fear i have to agree with most of the bad reviews. the bugs are crazy and some design overlook like lack of positioning/formation is just awful. to quote my post in the steam forums:

everytime my character come into ambush, the game just put you in such disadvantageous for no reason and you cannot control. for example, the ambush in the tomb raider area sidequest where you chase thief, your character just clumped together in no formation at all. i can only see my characters get slaughtered because the enemy archer spotted like 5 of them at once. then begin shooting them one by one.

this isn't a good game design. that is just stupidly cheap if it is intentional, or a grave misstep if not. in context of ambush, it make sense to not being able to prepare for combat, but at least give us the option to set the party's formation when walking around in the map. you don't have control over how your party walk, it is always a leader walk in front and triangle of hirds following you, that alone limit tactical manuevering in combat.

back in conquistadors, even in ambush you are given a chance to organize yourselves even in restricted amount, even be a key in winning a difficult combat.

i think i will have to put off the game for a while. i think it is a great game, just in this current form, it is unplayable. it is such shame because a game's first impression is so important. i don't have a problem with core design change like making it more baldur's gate (tho i miss conquistador's exploration and random encounters quite a much) like structure.

also at this point, with the lack of formation and positioning, it is a matter of turn where you have no control too. either my party get their first turn and slaugther everyone, or enemy get their first turn and they slaugther my party. other than that, if enemy got the first turn you can get lucky and have the attacks miss.

simply adding formations like infinity engine games would improve this problem by much. maybe in ambushes you cannot reposition, but there have to at least a way to set how your party walk.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://steamcommunity.com/games/445190/announcements/detail/1282807465649347043

1.0.1.5 Patch Available Now
2 MAY - ATOMIC
7c897d85d6cd3614d094ec95a22bbc021660568a.jpg

It's been en exciting opening weekend, a great big thanks to everyone who joined us on the support forum to report bugs and share their files. We've worked day and night and hope that the new update will provide players relief in most of the areas they've found issues in the release build.

It's called 1.0.1.5 rather than 1.0.2 because it doesn't solve all the crashes we've been investigating, but the game is more stable now. Those who have been nice enough to pre-test it for us have said that they could load their previously broken savegames from the hotfix in 1.0.1.5.

Fixes in 1.0.1.5
  • Fixed an issue with our character streaming system that was causing random crashes all throughout the game on some computers
  • Removed some dlls related to a third-party decal system that wasn't actually used in the game anyway, which was being picked up as a false positive in some anti-virus software
  • Fixed a gamebreaking bug if you complete the Tomb Raider quest as the last of the Preparations quest and complete it specifically by fighting
  • Oddkell outside the grave
  • Fixed an issue where you couldn't talk to the leader of the persecutors in
  • Chester after completing the quest, so you couldn't ditch them, so you would get stuck in the scene
  • Fixed a small glitch where combat with the Praetorians would
  • automatically start if you loaded a savegame after allying with the
  • Persecutors
  • Fixed Rurik's conversation in the longhouse never playing when it's supposed to if you ever clicked on him when his conversation isn't active
  • Fixed a dialogue options "I won't enter your church" in
  • MorcantConfrontation that was appearing erroneously and would cause the dialogue to get stuck because it led nowhere
  • Ranged characters should now properly target tileobjects (no path markers, range visualisation etc.)
  • Set some audio not to loop (company intro + intro intro)
  • Fixed the infinite XP exploit in Unwanted Guests
  • Fixed a bug where some AI would not advance if there was a hazard on the projected path, or if the player used Ready
  • Fixed Maucolyn's intro conversation under certain circumstances being retriggerable even when he wasn't there anymore
  • Added missing goal markers for the Clear Caves and Clear Milecastle goals, and fixed the Cave River fight not triggering correctly in that storyline
  • Fixed the EliminateRemusCult goal getting stuck if you kill them before you deal with Valerius
  • Fixed certain party members not leaving the party when they should, if they aren't present in the scene at the time
  • Fixed a bug where stat adjustments from abilities would not get applied unless the character moved
  • Fixed Æthelred disappearing from Yngilwood if you leave the scene again after entering it when you're about to hand in the Mercian Connection quest
  • Made Finnguala leave the party and join the picts if you have her with you in Dun Phris and attack Magnus' group
  • Made Finnguala leave the party if you begin the ConquerBritain quest
  • Made Skallagrimr's conversation after the mountain cave or Hadrian's Wall close all Pict, Gael, or Northumbria side quests, made it enable all the menhir scenes in case you missed them, and made Caustantin's post-Dun Phris conversation enable Chester, Yngilwood, and the Swamp
  • Set up a script to disable the longship after the Althing, and removed the errant fire hexes from the Hrodgærda no-palisades attack map
  • Fixed the characters in Lindisfarne still sort of hanging around after the quest is already completed
  • Added the Clear All (key bindings) translation in French and Polish
  • Fixed an issue where characters would sink through the hexes in the Chester sewer fight
  • Fixed an issue where if you left Orkney before fighting Steinn, you wouldn't be able to progress the Viking storyline
  • Fixed a wrong localisation reference on the beach camp cooking spit in Scarborough
  • Fixed an error that was happening when a barricade got destroyed and the AI tried to switch weapons afterwards
  • Fixed a bug where the abducted brother in Chester would not correctly trigger his dialogue
  • Fixed an issue where the abducted brother in Chester would not leave the scene when freed
  • Fixed an area in the Homestead Forest where you could get stuck
  • Fixed Rebuke not knocking down the target as intended if the user has Powerful Kick skill
  • Fixed stats in combat not getting updated correctly
  • Added "DoPlayVideos" flag in config to help users who are getting crashes from the intro and outro videos (see below for instructions)
  • Made some more characters sit down at the Althing and the Mountain
  • Cave and made Ragnhildr sit down in her longhouse
  • Now Hrossbjørn and Vifridr will leave the village if you lose against Gunnarr after winning the first two fights
  • Fixed corrupted save files not appearing in the save/load menus
  • Fixed the language setting being English (Norse Names) by default instead of English
  • Fixed two occurrences of the typo "whince" in the English text
  • Fixed a chest that was open by default in the convent scene when it was supposed to be closed and lootable
  • Made the final conversation trigger in the first dream a bit more robust to address an issue where it sometimes wouldn't enable the conversation, making you stuck in the scene
  • Added explanations for the timeline in the tooltips, but it's only in the English and English (Norse Names) versions for now as we need to send it out for localisation
  • Added some party-wide morale increases for major storyline progress
Video crash bypass instructions
If your game has been crashing immediately after character creation or immediately upon opening, try adding the following anywhere in your config file:

[VideoPlaybackSettings]
DoPlayVideos=False

The side effect is that you will not get any videos. This is mainly a problem for the end of the game, since the denoument will not play. We're working on a "proper" fix for a later update.

What's next?
We still have some stability issues to work through. The most common crash now appears to happen when leaving the Homestead Longhouse in the beginning of the game, but sadly this is almost certainly due to the game being played on video cards that do not meet our minimum system requirements, and we cannot do anything about this. There are other crashes that we will be looking into, however, and of course we won't be satisfied until everyone (whose machine meets the minimum requirements) can play the game without any crashes.

Once the last major gamebreaking quest bugs are out of the way, we can look at the second-tier ones that may still be important - we're aware of issues with several abilities in the game, such as Toss, Talon and Execute. In fact the Execute ability has already been fixed, but it didn't make it into 1.0.1.5.

Once we're through the second-tier bugs as well, we'll be able to start doing some UI tweaks and improvements for issues that have become apparent after release. For example, we plan to improve the way status effects are displayed outside of combat, we plan to add some tutorial pop-ups and warnings about the timeline, and we have some improvements and fixes lined up for the camping system. However, all of that has to wait until we're happy with the state of the game again.

How did this happen?
A valid question. You probably don't want excuses, but you did keep reading after the headline "How did this happen?" so excuses are what you're going to get. Essentially, we had three periods of closed beta testing before release, and we thought they could catch all the bugs. They did catch most of the bugs, but 1000 volunteer beta testers are no match for tens of thousands of new players suddenly getting their hands on the game. Even if there's only one gamebreaking bug secreted away in some dark corner of a questline, it may affect a thousand people.

We're determined to work through the new bug reports we've been receiving, and we want to sincerely thank all of you who are sticking with us despite these early issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom