Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking, the sequel to Expeditions: Conquistador

Stompa

Arcane
Raping and pillaging on Christian lands? Why, that sounds like :incline: indeed. Most viking games have only the culture\mythology aspect but no raiding itself.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You forget the most important part

ss_9826a0c0391382f9b4ba18cdf1f84bcce0cb06e1.1920x1080.jpg

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
As far as Banner Saga vs E:C combat goes, I'm not sure which way I'd lean. Banner Saga's is way more abstracted with the chess board-like aspect to the terrain in most maps and the very limited unit placement options (which still matter). E:C has more varied terrain, a cover system, item use, different scenarios and a few different 'styles' of encounters.

Both could have been better and did have problems with getting repetitive after a while but both had their strengths. Funnily enough the character systems were kind of similar, in how you spend experience, level up characters and the injury systems were also somewhat similar.

I did find Banner Saga's armor/damage system more interesting though.

Telengard

Arcane

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The setting could be worse.

Like what? I'm actually curious.
Expiditions: Modern Warfare
Expeditions: World War II: Behind Enemy Lines
Expeditions: Pirates of the Caribbean: Sparrow's Revenge
Expeditions: Dragon Age: The Journey - a joint game production
Expeditions: Undercover: Anti-Terrorism Task Force
Expeditions: A My Little Pony Journey of Exploration and Self-Discovery

I was serious,real historic expeditions.What can be worse?Maybe Lewis and Clark or Columbus

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Where are all these Viking games that people keep talking about ITT? You guys seems to be operating on the assumption that anything slightly nordic automatically equals vikings. Anyway, I enjoyed Conquistador a lot. I have faith that these guys can make an interesting game about vikings (and not just norse warriors in general, which aren't always vikings FFS).

Stompa

Arcane
The setting could be worse.

Like what? I'm actually curious.
Expiditions: Modern Warfare

I was serious,real historic expeditions.What can be worse?Maybe Lewis and Clark or Columbus

Robert F. Scott's expedition to the South Pole. Nothing like spending the whole game wrestling with cold, hunger and exhaustion only to die never reaching your goal while your rival succeeds.

Telengard

Arcane

I led with WWII, which is historical and had expeditions behind enemy lines. Anti-Terrorism expeditions into the near and far east are all too plausible a choice of setting (and could be set in the 80s). Modern Warfare: the Police Action is also viable, if a bit strained on challenge. Pirates of the Carribean would be out of their price range, but only requires a little more magic than was used in Conquistador. The only fake one is My Little Pony.

Behelit

Augur
I will not lie, I am disappointed with the setting. I wouldn't say a Norse setting is overused but neither is it uncommon. I was crossing my fingers for an Expeditions: Zululand or something we seldom see let alone play. I speculate they are doing this because being a Viking will sell better. There were many people that were turned off by the unfamiliar Spaniard warrior-explorer territory, Vikings will rescind that to a degree for which I can't blame them.

I have recalled my experience with the first Expeditions. It provided what few games have these days; atmosphere. Atmosphere is tricky because everything can be mechanically sound and consistent but if there is poor synergy there will hiccoughs. They sound like "I am playing a 14th level rouge." Expeditions has acceptable graphics, some underutilized classes with no worthwhile niche and not the most extraordinary gameplay but still enjoyable nonetheless. The writing quality accompanied by detailed portraits was a pleasant surprise and the music was absolutely stellar. A few delicate touches such as seeing your band increase in capability reflected by their equipment, terrified villagers holding a knife in their shaking hands and a deliberately overpowered cannon. A cannon that blasted "Fuck balance!" as it decimated the primitive people. You see, the negatives were satisfactory enough to not interrupt me being a conquistador.

I think the Viking setting has some potential. I think if they capture of the tone of omnipresence as they did with omnipotence in Conquistador by allowing you to raid the disorganized British isles, entrenched Franks and some Arabs for good measure, they'll succeed. If Logic Artists doesn't pull any punches, learn from a few of their mistakes and don't change that penchant for art design, writing and music. We'll have Vikings that aren't "Jack Sparrowed" as they are now. A lot of "if" but I have faith this will be a delectable and more profitable addition to the fledgling franchise.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ehh... I know I said I don't care about the setting, but I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of creativity. Vikings seemed like the hot topic on the Expedition boards and stuff, but it's just a bit too plain. I was thinking it'd be something more exotic. I mean the Aztec/Spanish thing was absolutely awesome, amazing. Vikings just seems a bit too safe.

Still, a must buy because this crew is awesome.

Lucky

Arcane
The setting itself might not be that fresh, but games that try to somewhat accurately depict Viking culture are rare - let alone games that manage to make it work. We usually get 'cool' vikings and some Scandinavian gods, rather than something closer to what the actual Vikings were like. If they manage to avoid that and evoke a believable atmosphere, while working out some of the kinks still present in Conquistador, then this could be something quite special.
Hopefully they'll choose to take the Hare Brained Schemes of finding a game type that works for them and then steadily improving on it as they release more games. The formula they have is good and I'd like to see them perfect it, rather than having them move on to something new just for the sake of change.

Raping and pillaging on Christian lands? Why, that sounds like :incline: indeed. Most viking games have only the culture\mythology aspect but no raiding itself.

This is why I still like Vikings - The Strategy of Ultimate Conquest. It lets you do both the trading and the pillaging, without attaching some sort of arbitrary morality mechanic to it. It makes it feel like you're actually playing a Viking, rather than just a SCOURGE OF THE NORTH or some dude with an axe and loincloth.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Vikings? works for me...i mean even thought they were expeditioning the bloody way, it kinda fits the general scheme pretty good and u CAN make kinda interesting storylines with difficult moral decisions (from todays point of view) out of it.

Banner Sage was overhyped anyways and those Vikings hat helmets with horns, nuff said

DeepOcean

Arcane
Guys... depends of how they gonna make the vikings, if I can lead an expedition to Greenland and kill some weird funny looking Inuits, I'm happy. Hardrada was bro too, he killed alot of those pussy looking Anglo saxons and those weird men that dress like women and hide on places they call "monasteries". There was alot of gold on those monasteries and virgin/not roo much used women too, they call them "nuns", those anglo saxons are strange, why keep alot of women closed on some place and not rape them?

buzz

Arcane
Vikings or nordic/slavic mythology is the kind of "generic" and overused historical/fantasy setting that I never get tired off.

It doesn't even have to be ULTRA EDGY VIOLENT RAPE AND PILLAGE MODE vikings. One of my favorite games:
11582-cultures-windows-screenshot-a-thriving-settlement.jpg

I'm so glad Logic Artists are doing a sequel. E:Q was awesomesauce and I really wish "Expeditions" turns into a mildly successful RPG franchise.

Those disappointed with Vikings can wait for the third game: Expeditions - JIHAD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom