Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Extra Pack for the Unofficial Arcanum Patch [Discontinued]

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The models in the above screenshots are the original lizard people/Melokaan/Bedokaan/etc. As of now, I have some files from an earlier build, and since the lizard people were changed really late in the development this build has the model. (Please don't ask me where did I get these files, or what files exactly do I have. I will release everything interesting eventually, anyway).

This model is in fact the only model that was cut from the game altogether. It was featured on the official site, and the ending slides for the Bedokaan were rendered using this model. Although, at the late point in the development (at some point after March) they made a new model for the lizard people, and changed the Waromon's portrait as well, so it'd suit the new model. So, this masterpiece of Leonard Boyarsky was thought to be lost forever.

The original model actually had a few problems, that's why I didn't release it immediately. The walking animation had a minor glitch in the game--the shadow spot was switching places at some frames. I figured that some x and y's were wrong. And, I've finally fixed the animation. Unlike the final model this one also has animations for being stunned, a gory death (decapitation in this case) and a lower attack with a bow.

Considering the artistic value of the model itself, I think it's pretty original. These lizard people look much more wild to me. Even a bit sly, perhaps. And (arguably) fit the Arcanum setting better than the colorful ones in the final version.

For now, the model (+ portrait) is released as a separate patch, you can just put the .dat file into your Arcanum folder and you will have the original lizard people. However, I may add this to the Extra Pack in the future.

Enjoy!

http://rapidshare.de/files/39904879/Liz ... l.zip.html

Novice
Drog Black Tooth said:
Considering the second release of the Extra Pack, I'll include the restored Levered Machine Gun and I think I'll use one of the forgotten features of the engine to enhance the gameplay - Magic/Tech areas. Many people were disappointed that it wasn't really used in the final game. There are only 3 areas in the game that change the aptitude of all creatures that are currently there: Magicks shop in Tarant (+10Magic), Vermillion Station (+20Tech) and K'na Tha (+30Magic). I remember how surprised I was when I got to K'na Tha the first time. I was playing a neutral character and had a Power Axe for smashing stuff. Since you have to destroy a lot of doors there, I almost chopped myself to death because of critical misses, in spite of being a Melee Master. This feature really enhances the clash between Magick and Technology in Arcanum setting, I think.

I'm going to change the aptitude of these areas: Bates' Factory (+20tech), Tulla (+20magic), Iron Clan (+20tech), Vendigroth Ruins (+20 tech), Qintarra (+10magic). Any suggestions are welcome.

Any luck with this?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
THE NEW VERSION IS OUT

-Restored art for Great Helm.
-Restored art for Mage's Staff, Shaman's Staff and Staff of Healing.
-Restored attack sound effects for Half-Ogres, Ogres and Orcs.

Grab the update in the first post.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I've always thought that the original therapeutic icon was misleading, since it had the wooden background, which is used for neutral items. The poison icon has the same problem. So, I fixed them:
new_icons.png

What should I do with these icons? Could they be included in the Extra Pack?

P.S. The poison icon is restored content which will be included in the next version of the UAP.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since both can be considered some kind of liquids, such as potions, IMHO the wooden background fits better. The other one would be even more misleading since you can basically associate it with mechanics. And mechanics doesn't have that much to do with liquids, that is more "herbalist" stuff.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
thesheeep said:
Since both can be considered some kind of liquids, such as potions, IMHO the wooden background fits better. The other one would be even more misleading since you can basically associate it with mechanics. And mechanics doesn't have that much to do with liquids, that is more "herbalist" stuff.
The background with a gear is used for all items with tech aptitude in the game. And, besides, other two tech food types have correct backgrounds (Chemical & Herbal):
Chemical.png
Herbal.png

Lain_13

Novice
I think this is proper fix, so it's should be in UAP.
...garbage collected...

Lain_13 said:
Simple rule -- never make options for unknown things. Now you know what it is but imagine you just download Arcanum and trying to install UAP on it and see option "Replace background for two items on proper". What you think in this case?
I'm used to read the documentation, so that I don't install things blindly. Drog provides information, I read it, I know what I'm installing. Thus, a fix is no longer unknown. As for people that won't bother reading, let's put a <recommended> beside every option so that they just install it.
I'm for having options, but Drog shouldn't bother if it takes too much, or if he wants all installations of the Extra Pack to be the same for everyone, or anything else.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
The icons won't be included in the Extra Pack because, currently, the Extra Pack only restores cut-out content. I don't see any reason to change the policy and add anything else to it.

The icons were posted on T-A forums, and it was suggested that I add them to the Extra Pack. But since the icons are not needed that much, as it seems, there's no need to change the policy of the Extra Pack.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yup, that makes sense.

Maybe, if one day you have enough extra-extra stuff, you can make an even more optional extra pack to the extra pack ;)

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Finally fixed this guy (Dark Knight):
dkn_1.gif
dkn_palettes.png

There were problems with almost all of his animations (except walking and running), all frames were misplaced. There are also four prototypes made for this model. Fixed art and prototypes will be available in the next version of the UAP, for use in custom modules.

I also had a thought about adding a few of these knights somewhere in the Arcanum module via the Extra Pack, although personally I'm not very interested. If you however would like to see the Dark Knight in the game, feel free to voice your opinion (and suggest a location). The original protos are 20 to 35 levels. I can post detailed stats if needed.

Murk

Arcane
only so many replays can be done ;(

thank you for your work, Drog

Murk

Arcane
I tried it for one of my replays as the hobo boxer, but i guess that was a bad 'round as i passed on technological items so i never really got the full effect

regardless, the UAP will stand the test of time

macabroid

Novice
Drog Black Tooth said:
Well, it looks like people got bored with Arcanum. I may drop this project then.

Please don't do it! It’s not about today or tomorrow, it’s about eternity. Arcanum is an absolute classics, and it will never get old, especially when 1024x768 edition is out. So every fix and restoration is invaluable for generations of future players. I’m not joking. Please keep up the great work, it's incredibly important for the whole role-playing community, and don’t even think nobody’s watching - there’s a lot of casual players like me silently watching your progress and marveling at every fix and restoration.

As for the Dark Knight - I personally think he MUST find his way into the extra pack. Otherwise the whole great restoration job would be wasted - I seriously doubt there’ll be a lot of Arcanum mods available, and it’s even more doubtful they’ll feature the restored animation. So the extra pack is the only possible way for the casual Arcanum player to see this animation in action. As for when and where - there’s a lot of fans around that could come up with a clue. After all, this guy was made on purpose…

Fez

Erudite
That creepy skeleton-filled castle might be a good spot for the dark knight.

Cadaver

Novice
Mikayel said:
only so many replays can be done ;(
For this reason I am waiting until the great Drog Black Tooth quits with this project for whatever reason and I can play the full/complete version. :D

Also I am quite buzy with school right now. :oops: :cry:

[edit]
I agree with Fez about his location.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom