Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eyestabber's in-depth guide to DR/AoD mechanics

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I know that you can forge Lamelliar Ordu Armor after Emperor, but maybe there are something better for blocking type. Shield bash does depend on Str.

Trash Player

Scholar
Can you explain how Blocking special works?
Does the game go check for special first, then check for defense if failed?
E.g. Chance to score clean hit at 10= (THC-10%)*THC
It seems to be so from my experience, ranged enemies very rarely hit a blocker cleanly, while dodger get hit often even with shield exploit+full mobility bonus

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
It seems to be so from my experience, ranged enemies very rarely hit a blocker cleanly, while dodger get hit often even with shield exploit+full mobility bonus

I had 120 evade and +15 shield bonus and crossbowman in fight after 3 scolopendra (not black ones, usual) fight consistently hit me :)

After i got 100 evade (-20 from netted) i got hit nonstop.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Read the OP. :rpgcodex:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, still no solution done to lack of ammo at start for solo player, so you are forced to invest in melee and play melee at start.

Which kind of ammo? There are lots of ammo sources for bows and xbows on dead miners, chests, etc. They are not enough?

I apologise, there is enough arrows for solo Bow run on Psycho.

But i dont think it is possible for Throwing (not enough wood to craft enough crude javelins before getting to first forge).

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Go after the bowman, be always within range and use whirlwind. With proper placement the bowmen will kill one of the thugs and Ardomir will injure the other and you'll quickly finish at least 3 with whirlwind. I've tested it just now and it's easier than with other weapons due to spear's range and passive ability to interrupt.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Remade my non-optimized character.

7/6/6/8/7/6 Throwing/Block/Alchemy

Despite Throwing using Dex for its Accuracy stat, I kinda feel the extra points in Strength means you get more out of your shots - I ran out of Ammo at the Queen fight and had to switch to Bows, which was still further than where I ran out of ammo with the original build.

Wish the stooges would refund SP or something when dying so Charisma builds don't have such an annoying early game unless you're Crossbow

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Go after the bowman, be always within range and use whirlwind. With proper placement the bowmen will kill one of the thugs and Ardomir will injure the other and you'll quickly finish at least 3 with whirlwind. I've tested it just now and it's easier than with other weapons due to spear's range and passive ability to interrupt.
Well, I would have to clarify that it is spearman with block.

Blackmill

Scholar
Advice on how to beat the second fight with a dagger build with 10/10/10 STR/DEX/PER?

Also the 40hp ants with spears?

These fights were pretty easy with the stone hammer but not at all with lower damage weapons.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Kite all way long!
Look what I managed to accomplish. :lol:
Most likely he will fall down in first fight with ants, but anyway. :dance:
In case someone know Latinae his name should mean Lonely lul but instead turned to be solicit .

TigerKnee

Arcane
Do Acid Vials even work on Insects? The description's kinda unclear to me

I tossed one on the Elder Scorpion and kited it for several turns but it still had armor

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Sadly, 8 Block feels like nonexistent against ants. They cut through with every second strike, or every third if I was lucky.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
How critical damage works?

It only bypass armor?

Or it multiply damage also (for some type of attacks? for some weapons only? for all?)

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Any tips for Barca fight?
Spearman 4\10\4\10 with block 8 spears 5. Can't beat it, even with bomds and nets.
I doubt that I can beat ants too.

Errr... beat the ants before 3 ant warrior. Can't beat them...

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Any tips for Barca fight?
Spearman 4\10\4\10 with block 8 spears 5. Can't beat it, even with bomds and nets.
I doubt that I can beat ants too.

Errr... beat the ants before 3 ant warrior. Can't beat them...
Reroll a better build?

Can't really expect to go melee with 4 str and 4 con. Be reasonable...

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
And I don't understand something.
Like I have Lorica Hamata DR 5, and that Barca with friends still deal rroughly same damage as if it is ant armor, also have 10 block, and... nothing changes!
Looks like 4\10\4\10 build is shittiest build ever...

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think Ants being early enemies and being immune to poison just kinda kills a lot of low Strength builds from AOD because Poison was one of the ways low-Str builds got more damage back then.

Outside of Crossbows which still work and are the preferred weapon for those who want to focus on the "Social" stats, I think the only thing 4-Str characters can do early game is a lot of Aimed Shots for stat penalties to support their allies.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Really? Where is it? I've completely missed it in all my plathroughs.
In a passage that lead to some plant, quicksilver maybe.
There is a one-square passage, this mean that if place your char just at the angle of the square, not on its side, ant start to attack diagonally and will block passage for other.

The same thing applied to third fight with ants, where anthole.

ComradeReptiloid

Literate
Tips for Barca fight:
If you have 12 AP or at least 14 initiative: go only for 10 AP to the right chockepoint and press wait. This way rigged archer will take only one shot at you, and proceed to move to exploit position. Next turn run to the choke point. Press wait again. You will have Marcus, Barca, two plebs, and archer sequence. Marcus ok, but Barca have op stats (check log in User/Documents/MyGames/DungeonRats). For shield build this fight easier. Take a look at your shield and alchemy skill level. You need at least 3 poison vials and alchemy 2. If you shield 9, take Lorica Hamata. If below, stay in ants or leather armor, since 30 passive defence bonus + Lorica Hamata cant compensate for Baraca skills. Archer will destroy shield pleb, while you dealing with Marcus and Barca. Try to kill Marcus and stay with at least 2 AP left. Move to Barca spending this 2 AP, and archer will shoot Barca after he kill shield dude. Use net on Barca, then destroy his head for damage and -attack penalties stack. At this point archer will probably run out of arrows, or will constantly miss you.
Low str build favors swords, daggers, crossbows and spears. Only problematic fight will be 3 tough warrior ants with 40 HP. And in this fight you have choke point, where only 2 of them can hit you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom