Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallen Gods - upcoming Norse saga-inspired roguelite from Wormwood Studios

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, SitS is another game tramping on what I thought was a unique path when I switched to FG. :D

Star Captain was heavily inspired by Star Captain and Star Flight, though perhaps more by Weird Worlds (in terms of gameplay). It had pretty awesome world-building (in my not-so-humble opinion). Like I said, I want to come back to it someday.

Got bored and left

Man, the writing is absolutely perfect, from what I can see. The alliterations, the somber, elegaic tone - it's as if I was reading The Wanderer or The Dream of the Rood, fantastic stuff. It's a damn shame I don't have proper audio equipment, I'd love to have a crack at it. Still read everything out loud for fun, of course :P I'm keeping my fingers crossed that MRY gets a nice voice actor, a good reading can really elevate those kinds of texts.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Thanks ArtB, and thanks for the publicity Crooked Bee! I'm still trying to decide whether voice acting is the right way to go overall. I am already somewhat worried that the text's density will be a turn off to players (whose very name indicates, after all, that they are there to play), and VO merely slows things down further. Obviously players can skip ahead, but then I think VO is perhaps even worse because it's skipping around and so on. Anyway, it's something I'll have to mull once I review the auditions (we've gotten quite a number).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
EDIT : A very brief voiced summary or introduction to the event (instead of voicing the entire text) is also possible, if listening to what you're reading is too slow.

Last edited:
Been following and looking forward to this. My only gripe is the title is rather generic, reminds me of those crappy hidden object games that you can by the score on Steam.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I have a pretty strong preference for short names, and even to some degree for generic names. Probably because, for the most part, that was the convention with the early computer/video games I grew up with.

Not arguing against short, just sucky.

Primordia, for instance, is an excellent title.

Fallen Gods? Meh.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Eh, I think Fallen Gods is a good enough title. It's short, memorable and to the point. Looking forward to the release.

duanth123

Arcane
I have a pretty strong preference for short names, and even to some degree for generic names. Probably because, for the most part, that was the convention with the early computer/video games I grew up with.

How about "Apocrypha"? It has religious connotations, similarity to your previous work's title, and might capture some of the themes Fallen Gods will explore.

Mustawd

How about "Apocrypha"? It has religious connotations, similarity to your previous work's title, and might capture some of the themes Fallen Gods will explore.

Too hard to pronounce. Not catchy enough.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I appreciate the advice, but I'm not particularly keen to change it.

Regarding "Apocrypha," it violates one of the core pillars of the game, which is avoiding the use of Greco-Latin-French words. I'm not really sure it ties to the themes, either.

The "Fallen" in Fallen Gods covers two important concepts -- the physical fall of some of the Ormfolk from the Cloudlands to the earth below, and the Christian concept of the gods being morally "fallen" (either in the sense of humanity's own fall, or Satan's fall). Orm ("snake") is a blend of Odin, Satan, and Prometheus (with a dash of Zeus, I suppose), so he is tied to the concept of the fall, too, in that regard. "Fall" also has an autumnal sense -- death, decay, shorter days, and so forth. And of course while neither Ragnarok, Ragnarokkr, nor Gotterdamerung means "Fall of the Gods," in a sense there is a harmony among those, too. Fallen Gods is not actually about the ultimate fall of the Ormfolk -- that day is still to come, perhaps even still far off, no matter how you play the game.

Incidentally, this isn't to say that people are wrong about not liking the title -- of course they're right. But I don't think I'll be changing it. Part of the pleasure of making this game is being able to indulge my whims, and one of them is that I like a certain clarity and simplicity, as I said. "Primordia" certainly is a beloved title, but to be honest it's not the kind of title I'd probably settle upon left to myself -- it took a fair amount of massaging to give the name resonance with the game's themes. As best I can tell, Vic just seized upon it in an epiphany that may or may not have been tied to recreational mycology.

Still, I'm not dead set against changing it, just not disposed to absent some idea that really catches me.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am already somewhat worried that the text's density will be a turn off to players (whose very name indicates, after all, that they are there to play), and VO merely slows things down further. Obviously players can skip ahead, but then I think VO is perhaps even worse because it's skipping around and so on.
I always wondered why in games with VO, when you skip lines, the VO does abruptly end and just starts another line instead of some kind of fade-out, fade-in effect which would ease the transition. Or maybe 'a turn VO off' button (accessible at any point) for people who prefer reading at their own pace.

Fallen Gods is not as good a title as Primordia, but being more generic might actual help to gain more publicity, because people might stumble upon it by accident, which in Primordia's case was pretty hard (until Far Cry Primal release? ;) )

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I like the title too. Too many people sperg vast amounts on stupid shit. In before the UI causes mass sperging.... :M

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
trolladdendum.gif

some pretty sharp knees on that troll, 2/10

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
And you already have
apocrypha_red_nebula.jpg

Then again, Fallen Gods is quite generic and easy to forget.

Blackmill

Scholar
Are any updates coming soon? I really liked what I've read about the game. Hope it succeeds.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We're working on having a little promotional video -- the game's intro cinematic -- to share. Otherwise it's not really a game that is amenable to previewing until the systems are all in place. The backbone of the game is the event system, and I certainly could post some examples of that, but they probably don't come across as much in isolation. We've got some cool new sprites, some great voice over (to my ear, anyway) and music, etc. But it's a very slow process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom