Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1.5: Resurrection - fanmade Fallout game by Czechs

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I mean, I understand that I'm supposed to run away and come back when I'm better equipped. but the fact that you can legitimately die in starter cave is still retarded.
That's not necessarily what the player is "driven" to do, by the developers. I think the developers would've increased the rodents HP, to imply you can't clean the starting area with your current equipment.
The cave is more dangerous than the one from Fallout 1, so I kinda understand your feeling, but I don't think it should be changed (don't fix what is not broken. It's just challenging, not broken).

I killed nearly all the living creatures in the cave, before leaving.
You can do a massacre, if you're not playing a weakling, "bookworm", custom character.
And you don't aggro all of the enemies, making the battle much harder than it has to be (try to kill them individually, when possible).

Who Cares said:
...got eaten by a horde of rats way bigger than the amount of ammo given me. 10/10.

The Zip gun is shitty, as it should be, it's the beginning of the game, that's standard stuff.
And why would your character be carrying enough bullets to kill everthing? It's not like he went there purposely, to eliminate X amount of creatures. He/she was dragged there, to be devoured.
There's also another reason why he/she wasn't carrying many bullets, but that's in "spoiler territory".

I hope you don't give up. I've beaten this mod, and it's fantastic.

Black Angel

Arcane
Originally I went here to inquire how a talker character is supposed to go through that, but the more I think about it, the less I want to find out.
Since nobody gave you actual advice on how to go through the first cave as a talker, I'll give you one: run.

On a more serious note, has the experience with Fallout 1&2 not give you any hints on how to go through the starting areas? I'm not saying it's impossible to play the game as a talker, especially since you CAN play Fallout 1&2 as a talker, but even in those two games it's recommended to invest decently in combat skills, and get at least 7 PER so that your character can go through 2 turns in a row every time an enemy with lower Sequence (which consists of all the critters in that cave) initiated combat.

Black Angel

Arcane
Yeah, they game me a hint to sneak. Doesn't work here, sadly. Whatever, I'm already past the first town and liking the mod so far, I wasn't even stuck really, just wanted to voice my frustration.
Oh, I would attribute it more to the fact that sneak formula of Fallout is.... questionable, rather than the design of the first area of Fallout 1.5 made it nigh impossible to sneak through there. Even with such cramped cave like that, a proper sneak formula would definitely allows high Sneak character to sneak past those critters. Or perhaps you can abuse the turn-based mode, but that wouldn't exactly be fun.

Bloodlust

Augur
It is not linear.It's been a year since I last played this mod but I recall, for example,that a follower you normally would get in the later stages of the game , having major influence in events in "earlier" town assuming you haven't resolved them already.

Black Angel

Arcane
Looks like you're going to fit in perfectly.

Joke aside, is it this mod with no companions allowed ?

Watched 10 minutes of a video LP a while back, seemed quite linear, is it really ?
I would hate to play a linear fallout mod.
I'm not sure if you can call it 'no companions allowed', but this mod isn't the one. In fact, this mod have plenty of companions, + it has that special something that the official Fallouts (1, 2, and NV) missed completely: companion banter. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, but at least companion banters of Fallout 1.5 are nothing but mere passing moments that wouldn't suddenly takes away control from players.

Oh, and I'll assume the mod you referred to as having 'no companions allowed' should be Fallout of Nevada, but it isn't that it didn't allow companion, but rather there are no companions designed for it.... at least, for vanilla edition. There's a special version called Crazy Edition which adds (from what I remembered) a dog companion, and couple of others I probably didn't know of since I didn't play it because the translation for that version is far from 'complete' because it's taking its translation from the one for vanilla edition, which is the version the translators are working with, and retrofitted into that edition by a single modder.

Also, none of the mods I mentioned are linear. Both are as open as the classic Fallouts, you can literally go anywhere you want to go from the get-go (or at least, after you're done with intro/game start sequence), but just like the classic Fallouts, unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's more recommended to stick with what your character know at the very least before venturing onward.

Oh lol, nearly a dozen of playthroughs and I had no idea that sneak was this borked. Wonder why nobody bothered to fix this just like people did damage mods and inserting F1's code to govern F2's world map movement
I'd say this 'discovery' is quite recent. I'm not sure how long NovaRain has kept this knowledge to himself, but my guess would be that sneaking in Fallout 1&2 isn't really that fun to consider modding it, even though I've had fair share of fun playing with sneak personally.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Black Angel
My bad, it's probably my Alzheimer kicking in because i actually played resurrection and yes, i was referring to that Russian mod.

As for banters, i can do without it, it could be good if well designed and well timed (not too often) but i think it's mostly a waste of someone else's time.

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel
My bad, it's probably my Alzheimer kicking in because i actually played resurrection and yes, i was referring to that Russian mod.
As far as I know, there are two Russian-made TC mods. Other than the aforementioned Nevada, there's also Olympus 2207, currently in translation by some guys in Russian forum of Iron Tower Studio website, but I didn't know how far they've progressed at this point. And allegedly, from what I've heard, it wasn't that great. You should definitely try Nevada if you haven't, by virtue of quests designs and usage of skills, it's a thousand miles ahead of even the official classics.

As for banters, i can do without it, it could be good if well designed and well timed (not too often) but i think it's mostly a waste of someone else's time.
As for this, since you've played Resurrection, you should notice the banters mostly happened in the background, without your control suddenly taken away like banters in other RPGs tend to do. It kind of sucks because it can happen while you're passing the time, but since it's mostly flavors it's fine at least. Although, I haven't actually tried pitting Bad Karma companion with Good Karma companion, so I wouldn't know if companions will leave the party under such condition.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah definitely play Nevada, I played it when the translation wasn't even that polished and had a blast.

laclongquan

Arcane
The ammo, from the start is more than enough to kill the rats.

The 1st key is to sneak and expose yourself to one rat at a time. The second key is Hit-then-run. The rat should be not agile enough to chase after you and bite you as well. some do and in some case terrain allow them to do so, which is pretty hair raising. But over all you dont have to use all the ammo to kill the rats ON THE WAY OUT.

To kill all the rats you need more though.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Other than the aforementioned Nevada, there's also Olympus 2207, currently in translation by some guys in Russian forum of Iron Tower Studio website, but I didn't know how far they've progressed at this point.
Well, one of them (guess who, he ?) just told me that more than 60% of the project is translated from Russian to English, it seems they're stuck with the 5733 items desc. Once it will be done, advancement will jump dramatically. ;)

Black Angel

Arcane
Other than the aforementioned Nevada, there's also Olympus 2207, currently in translation by some guys in Russian forum of Iron Tower Studio website, but I didn't know how far they've progressed at this point.
Well, one of them (guess who, he ?) just told me that more than 60% of the project is translated from Russian to English, it seems they're stuck with the 5733 items desc. Once it will be done, advancement will jump dramatically. ;)
Well now, I guess one of them, or perhaps you, should update this thread if there's anything important for them/you to say, like if the team need extra hands or such.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
But I'm not involved at all in this translation project. But do I have to understand that you're willing to help them? Do you want me to get in touch with one of them?

Modron

Arcane
Hadn't been following that translation project much good to know they've gotten quite a bit done. Thought it was more of a backburner project. :salute:

Black Angel

Arcane
But I'm not involved at all in this translation project. But do I have to understand that you're willing to help them? Do you want me to get in touch with one of them?
Nah, I'm not a Russian and English is my second language. I'm only pointing out that there might be someone out here who might be willing to lend a hand, IF the team get in touch with this community.

The one guy I know who would definitely jump in to help is Dionis, who initiated the unofficial translation project for Nevada and he said himself that he will once he's pretty much done with translating Nevada, but sadly he's been MIA for few months now.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I am thinking of giving this one a try since many seem to like it.On the other hand some people complained about the writing/translation and the difficulty that some times is all over the place,have they made any changes in these parts since the mod was originally released or it's the same thing without any improvements since release?

BTW this thing mentions that it requires Fallout 2,I assume it works with the original version and not the new one by Bethesda?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I've been playing it a bit and it's quite good, after the first village which was underwhelming.

To anyone willing to play it, i'd advise to tag either barter or gamble because money doesn't grow on trees until later when you can "farm" ghouls encounters.

Combat is quite tough too, unlike Nevada for example, i'd advise to go for full party control (Resu folder > sfall-mods.ini file, combat control mode = 2) and save often.

After the first village, the quality never cease to increase, it's really good, i think i like it better than Nevada.

agris

Arcane
Patron
They're both quite good for fan projects, with different strengths. Nevada really eeeked the most out of non-combat skills as you could, and a lot of quest solution options felt straight out of adventure games, or PnP. Nevada didn't really "feel" like fallout to me though, because of those points and the crafting.

1.5 felt like a lost BIS game, with the exception of fantandomat-level edgy writing sometimes, and the faction quests generally being more cut and dry (no opportunity to play both sides, you're quickly locked into/out of paths). They're both worth playing if you've played Fallout 1 and 2 really enjoyed them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, some early dialogs are really edgy, mostly extremely misogynistic (a lot of "shut-up bitch" or lines like that) and not even useful as you can't intimidate NPC as far as i know, even a hobo would try to kick your arse if you pushed him too hard.

But it gets better with less and less of that writing over time.
Not being able to play both sides was annoying me at first (mostly because i like to complete every single quest in a good game) but i guess it calls for a second playthrough in a couple of years.

Black Angel

Arcane
Despite the fact that you can't really play both sides (though funnily you can kinda do it in Rat Hole but only up until the last quest of one side before the turf war), I can't stress enough that the scope of 1.5 (which is closer to that of Fallout 1 while still a bit bigger) actually helped me in replaying the game countless times because of how good the mod is. This is the one Fallout 'game' that I replayed more than Fallout 1&2 combined. And despite of edgy writing, it's also the first Fallout where I finally got into playing a Bad Karma character.

Yes, some early dialogs are really edgy, mostly extremely misogynistic (a lot of "shut-up bitch" or lines like that) and not even useful as you can't intimidate NPC as far as i know, even a hobo would try to kick your arse if you pushed him too hard.

It would have been better to have a bit more content before Rat Hole in order to establish that its specifically Rat Hole that is a complete garbage dump, like how Fallout 2 has Klamath before the Den.

Black Angel

Arcane
It would have been better to have a bit more content before Rat Hole in order to establish that its specifically Rat Hole that is a complete garbage dump, like how Fallout 2 has Klamath before the Den.
That would bloat the content a bit, I'd say. The scope as it is now is *perfect*, with issues only in branching and player agency as has been previously mentioned. And the game does have a Klamath: it's called New Hope since there's no Arroyo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom