Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 and 2 have the best structure for RPGs

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With the recent Fallout shitposting threads, I just realized something: Fallout 1 and 2 are the only RPGs which have the kind of structure that should be used for the genre, with a goal-based main quest rather than a linear step-by-step one.

In Fallout, you start the game with one goal: get a replacement water chip for your Vault. You don't know where to go and how to find it, so you set out into the wasteland and come upon settlements where you ask for the locations of other Vaults and do some sidequests for the locals. Ideally, the shit you do gives you new information on where to find a water chip replacement. The goal is there right from the start, and it doesn't change until halfway through the game, when you actually find the water chip (how exactly you get your hands on it is up to you - there's no linear sequence of events you need to go through) and bring it back to the Vault. Then, you get your second main quest: stop the Master and destroy the supermutant base.

And that's all. Three mandatory main quests, and if you go into the game with knowledge from previous playthroughs, you can beeline right to the main quest locations and go for a speedrun. But that's not how your first, blind playthrough will go because you have no idea where the water chip, the military base, and the Master's lair are located. And even on a second playthrough you shouldn't beeline to these locations because you'd be severely underlevelled and probably not make it through.

Fallout 2 has a similar structure. Go find a GECK. That's your first goal. Go stop the Enclave. That's your second goal after you found the GECK. The paths you take to reach these goals is largely up to you - although Fallout 2 isn't as open in how you get to the final location as Fallout 1 was (gotta go to the Enclave oil rig through San Fran).

Spontaneously, I can't think of any other RPG with a structure like this throughout the game. Both Fallout games have very open, very basic main quests that are entirely goal based. "Find item. Kill leader of bad guys." Anything in between is up to you. One thing that comes to mind that is comparable is Baldur's Gate 2's first chapter, where you have to amass 10k or so in wealth so you can pay the Shadow Thieves to bring you to Imoen's prison. How you get the cash is up to you. But once that quest is done, the rest of the game becomes more linear, following a more classic main quest structure where you go from one main quest to the next.

Next to my foot and nazi fetishes, what's also commonly known about me on the Codex is that I consider Arcanum to be the best RPG ever made, but I have to admit that it's structurally a little weaker than the Fallouts due to its more linear main quest line. While Arcanum has plenty of alternate solutions to quests (killed the guy who had the info you needed? look through his desk and leaf through his files) and tons of choice and consequence, the main quest's structure is still relatively linear. Find out who the ring belonged to - you can't visit Gilbert Bates before you visited P. Schuyler's to find out who the GB initials refer to. You can't go to the Isle of Despair before you visited the BMC mines. You can't visit the Wheel Clan before you've gone to the Isle of Despair, etc etc. While Arcanum allows for a lot of player freedom, the overall mainquest structure is still: do A in order to unlock B, do B in order to unlock C, do C in order to unlock D etc.

Fallout doesn't do that. It just tells you "do X" and then you find your own path to that goal. And that's one of its greatest strengths. It immensely improves replayability, since you won't have to trudge through the same set of main quests each time you make a playthrough. You can just do the quests you like, ignore the ones you don't, and use your knowledge from previous playthroughs to reach your goals.

This is the kind of structure all RPGs should strive for because it's very conductive towards roleplaying.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Because you don't have to follow a linear sequence of quests in order to reach that goal. It's been 10 years since I played Fallout 3 but I doubt you could just beeline to the location your father is at right from the start.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
How is this different from FO3 and FO4?

FO3: go find your father
FO4: go find your son
FO5: go find your wife's boyfriend
FO3 you could be halfway right because you can find the Vault your dad is in without doing any other quest beforehand, but you can't stop the Enclave from taking Project Purity because the Enclave doesn't attack until after they capture you, and they don't capture you until you have the GECK, and you can't get the GECK without-You get the point by now. That is literally a linear sequence of events from quest to quest. If Fallout 3 had a F1/F2 structure the Enclave would have some headquarters you could blow up at any point, and if you found your dad at that point then the credits would roll.

Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Morrowind, duh.

But if you want to talk about RPGs that are "goal-based rather than linear step-by-step", that probably describes a good number of RPGs from the 1980s - simply because they didn't have the disk space and sophistication to implement complex scripted step-by-step scenarios.

The difference is that these RPGs were often about exhaustively exploring a world to retrieve a large number of artifacts, so your ability to "beeline" towards a singular endgame was limited.

Fallout itself was influenced by the structure of Star Control 2, although SC2 also requires you to do a bit more than beeline towards a goal.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Morrowind, duh.

Morrowind allows you to skip the entire main quest by a backdoor solution, but if you want to do the mainquest normally you still have to follow a linear sequence of events. You can't go to the Ashlander tribes and the Great Houses right away to become Hortator, you need to do this at a specific point within the mainquest. The backdoor way of finishing the mainquest is kinda obscure too and not obvious, so it's quite different from Fallout's structure where you can go and fetch the water chip right from the second you leave the Vault. In Morrowind, it's not an elementary part of the game's structure but an alternate way to finish the game for those players who like to experiment and find hidden stuff.

Zenith

Arbiter
"Find item. Kill leader of bad guys."
Myself, I'm a fan of Geneforge 2 structure. It's similar, except that second part isn't even mandatory iirc. Just talk to a guy and depart to the mainland on a boat with your report. Except maybe you aren't going to be able to with a clear conscience. So you join a cause, or maybe you play a neutral kind of party, or maybe in the end you decide to just purge like six other factions regardless of previous affiliation. Make your own story kinda thing, not for the ending slides, but just naturally. Seems like the thing RPGs should be all about, but I rarely get the feeling anywhere.

Darkzone

Arcane
With the recent Fallout shitposting threads, I just realized something: Fallout 1 and 2 are the only RPGs which have the kind of structure that should be used for the genre, with a goal-based main quest rather than a linear step-by-step one.
Not as quite as you have written, but the statement about Fallout 1 and 2 and its structure is quite correct. Fallout 1 is in my opinion the optimal RPG concerning the quest and story structure and world building and introducing the player. Fallout 2 is different, but still quite as good.
Btw. How is your writing going for the game? Copy the best things from Fallout 1.

vota DC

Augur
Only goal based rpg? There are many others.
For example The adventures of Robin Hood (Millennium 1991) you get the goal from the start: you must retake your castle. Only rule is that you must be alone inside the castle and the sheriff must be dead (if you are alone and he is outside the game continues).

They also delivered a much more living world than games like Oblivion:
townsmen hunt deers, roast and eat deers, rest, use their plow to farm, stay to hear the minstrel, go to the forest to gather wood, go to the plaza when the sheriff has something to announce, go to the tavern to drink, go to the merchant to buy meat, when they finish money they become beggar or become criminals and are hanged by the guards
townswomen the same + they bath
christian characters also assist to funerals
monks build their monastery, preach and bring the body of dead people (pagan ones included) to the cemetery

FeelTheRads

Arcane
How is your writing going for the game?

51ArMnQ21KL.jpg

:thumbsup:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Since Tim Cain is preoccupied with putting right geometric shapes in corresponding geometric holes in his new GRG the only guys in RPG town that might make new Fallout 1&2/Arcanum structured RPG are Ceres Games.

Can we expect Realms Beyond to have at least similar quest structure to Fallout 1 & 2/Arcanum and how similar overall will it be to those classic gems?

In other words, let's subvert this thread and make it yet another promo piece for RB :smug:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fallout breadcrumbs for the main Q and establishing the setting are also monocled. Probably gonna have to replay the game soon since it's been a few years since we've been intimate.

Master

Arbiter
Next to my foot and nazi fetishes, what's also commonly known about me on the Codex is that I consider Arcanum to be the best RPG ever made, but I have to admit that it's structurally a little weaker than the Fallouts due to its more linear main quest line. While Arcanum has plenty of alternate solutions to quests (killed the guy who had the info you needed? look through his desk and leaf through his files) and tons of choice and consequence, the main quest's structure is still relatively linear. Find out who the ring belonged to - you can't visit Gilbert Bates before you visited P. Schuyler's to find out who the GB initials refer to. You can't go to the Isle of Despair before you visited the BMC mines. You can't visit the Wheel Clan before you've gone to the Isle of Despair, etc etc. While Arcanum allows for a lot of player freedom, the overall mainquest structure is still: do A in order to unlock B, do B in order to unlock C, do C in order to unlock D etc.

Fallout doesn't do that. It just tells you "do X" and then you find your own path to that goal. And that's one of its greatest strengths. It immensely improves replayability, since you won't have to trudge through the same set of main quests each time you make a playthrough. You can just do the quests you like, ignore the ones you don't, and use your knowledge from previous playthroughs to reach your goals.

This is the kind of structure all RPGs should strive for because it's very conductive towards roleplaying.

Not exactly. True, you can't talk to Bates before visiting P. Schuyler's, but you can sneak inside Bates's mansion and steal his journal, which would skip the need for Schuyler's reveal. Also true, you cant visit Isle of Despair before visiting BMC, but then again you dont have to go to Isle of Despair at all, or to BMC; with some old fashioned map exploration you can go straight to Caladon and start the whole quest chain from there. In a way it is more linear than Fallout, but you can activate these knots at any point basically. You can finish Schuyler's place last if you wanted. Granted it would be a little weird and the game wouldnt acknowledge it but still, you could do it. Like you said, the game has plenty of alternate solutions... That's its main strength and improvement over Fallout.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I mean... they are fetch and kill quests. Fetch quests usually require you to fetch something. Kill quests usually require you to kill someone.

It makes sense that something like "become the Nerevarine" can't be simply accomplished by being a random prisoner that arrives to a camp for no reason and says "I'm the Nerevarine". I don't think linearity is bad, as long as it makes sense and the game doesn't restrict what you can do in a way that makes said linearity stand out.

Some games are linear not because they expect steps to be taken in sequence, but because said steps don't make any sense at all. In Final Fantasy IV you are EXPECTED to talk to Rosa at the inn before Tellah will let you go through the cave. It's the worst case of handholding I've ever seen.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Games that have the kind of Freedom that F1/2 offer are rare for obvious reasons. Infinitron already presented one of the two real examples I can think off the bat for an open world game with non-linear paths, the other being New Vegas. There are other open world RPGs like M&B which don't really have a plot or Blackguards 2, Gothic and Risen which do have a plot but by your criteria, JarlFrank is quite linear none the less.

The ingredient in F1/2 or Morrowind that is missing in other games is the unlocked world. At the beginning of the game, the whole map is practically open to the player. You can go wherever you want. Do whatever you wish, including engaging with the main quest. Is that the best possible game structure? Maybe. It's not even difficult to pull off in a game where you have an overland map which you can travel without restriction or a world like Morrowind that is open to the player to explore. But, the only downside is that you have to fill the world up with *many* quests that are all independently good. If the world appears empty or devoid of high-quality content after a little exploration it can quickly take the player off the plot.

As it so happens high-quality content is the single most important thing in an RPG.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Can we expect Realms Beyond to have at least similar quest structure to Fallout 1 & 2/Arcanum and how similar overall will it be to those classic gems?

And who wrote the main quest? Is it still Guido Henkel's work or was it changed by other authors?

In Ultima Underworld, you are given one main quest (find the princess), but I guess the structure of the game (inside a single dungeon) is different from a more open RPG like Fallout.

Same in NetHack and other roguelikes and dungeon crawlers.

In Dark Souls games, it's also pretty similar, but again, different kinds of games.

Personally though, I would change it from your point to "all quests in RPGs should be high level goals". Doing it that way makes things interesting, and provides a lot of player agency, as opposed to the errand-boy approach. But how many high level steps there are, I don't really care that much. I don't replay RPGs right after finishing them, so it's not as important to me.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I was actually about to make this thread just a few days ago but was too lazy to do it. I was going to use Fallout as an example as well, but also certain strategy games which offer a ton of freedom thanks to having a clear, ovearching goal (or even several possible ones, e.g. Civilization) but no set path to lead you there. I think RPGs could definitely make use of a similar open-ended structure, even though the goals would of course need to be different in nature. A good, open-ended structure might make even a very banal premise work.

In a typical (modern) RPG you get a more or less linear path through the game combined with separate side quests that have nothing to do with anything. There's little in-game reason to explore or go off the beaten path, and you only do it because half of the content consists of side quests. In Fallout things are different, as there are very few hoops to jump through, but a ton of different things can happen between any of them. In many cases the line between "main quest" and "side quest" gets blurred, as even small quests might contain a clue that gets you closer to your goal (or makes you take a pointless detour). The story of the game is shaped by all these little quests, almost none of which are mandatory, and it actually feels like you're forging your own path through the game instead of just following a script. It's a shame that so few games even try to do something like that anymore.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Ancient Codex meme image.
canbiaach.jpg

Of course lumping Arcanum there was a bit silly.

Additionally, back then, Codexers complained about how :decline: Morrowind's structure was compared to Daggerfail.
quest.gif

questmap.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom