Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1, in the year of our Lord 2018

Master

Arbiter
You can speed up the animations in the options. But you probably already did that.

Codex Year of the Donut
Playing a bit into Fallout 2 and one has to ask the question...

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to design all these random encounters with 16 wolves each slowly taking their turn and playing a "woof-rah!" soundbyte on every attack?

I like Fallout 2 but my god, it's way more painful to play than the first game because of stupid shit like this. There's so much shitty content between all the good stuff.
you're probably aware but sfall comes with shortcuts to change the game speed

I think by default it's the numpad keys(with numlock off?), maybe holding control too? been a while since I last played

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Dogs are fucking annoying. I haven't played the original Fallout 2 in a long time and don't remember how bad they were there, but umm was it Nevada or Resurrection that had some fetish for dog random encounters?
And did they always have such a huge sequence that they get two turns before me? Fuck, I just reloaded the game on dog encounters, just waiting for my turn to run away took too much fucking time.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
It's been a really long time since I replayed Fallout, and I really got the urge to do it now.

So what's the scoop on mods and stuff? Is there anything good that adds stuff? Or should I just go for bugfixes, and in that case which is the best option?

Using the gog version.
Signature. Avoid Fixt at this point, at least until you replay it.

Why not use Fixt?
FeelTheRads Paul_cz Feyd Rautha

Fixt is definitely still in beta, I’m not surprised to hear about the Mariposa bug. There’s also some questionable changes made in the base fixes only version, such as starting the player with a flamer, laser pistol, or lockpick if they tag the requisite skills. The guy who made fixt even acknowledges this, but fixt updates have been MIA for several years.

That plus the likely prevalence of other game changing alterations in the same vein as starting with advanced weapons, makes me recommend against it.

The best FO1 experience, especially if you haven’t played in a while, is TeamX’s 1.3.5. Use the NPC mod if you want, but the game will be easier. Add crafy’s sfall for shift for highlight, and Mash’s patch to play in fullscreen 960x540, which is how it should be played on modern 16:9 screens.

All this is in my signature links. Avoid the RP/Wasteland Ghost stuff unless you want a much more punishing and slightly buggier version. I wouldn’t recommend it based on the OP’s post.

EDIT:

Fallout 1 + v1.2.1 RC + TeamX v1.3.5 + (optional) v1.3.5 NPC mod + sfall + hi rez mod.

You can install 1.2.1 on top of all releases afaik, except perhaps the steam one. I don’t remember, check the forums.
Hello, you mentioned some "Mash's patch" which supposedly enables the first Fallout game to run correctly in fullscreen 960x540. Where can I download it? Because apparently I'm experiencing problems running the GOG version in this screen mode - I can't see part of the in-game interface (the bottom interface bar with display monitor, active item button etc goes across and beyond the border of the screen so I'm unable see much of it) and the text is shown incorrectly (the letters look too blurry and the strokes are not equal width where they apparently are supposed to be so).

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's been a really long time since I replayed Fallout, and I really got the urge to do it now.

So what's the scoop on mods and stuff? Is there anything good that adds stuff? Or should I just go for bugfixes, and in that case which is the best option?

Using the gog version.
Signature. Avoid Fixt at this point, at least until you replay it.

Why not use Fixt?
FeelTheRads Paul_cz Feyd Rautha

Fixt is definitely still in beta, I’m not surprised to hear about the Mariposa bug. There’s also some questionable changes made in the base fixes only version, such as starting the player with a flamer, laser pistol, or lockpick if they tag the requisite skills. The guy who made fixt even acknowledges this, but fixt updates have been MIA for several years.

That plus the likely prevalence of other game changing alterations in the same vein as starting with advanced weapons, makes me recommend against it.

The best FO1 experience, especially if you haven’t played in a while, is TeamX’s 1.3.5. Use the NPC mod if you want, but the game will be easier. Add crafy’s sfall for shift for highlight, and Mash’s patch to play in fullscreen 960x540, which is how it should be played on modern 16:9 screens.

All this is in my signature links. Avoid the RP/Wasteland Ghost stuff unless you want a much more punishing and slightly buggier version. I wouldn’t recommend it based on the OP’s post.

EDIT:

Fallout 1 + v1.2.1 RC + TeamX v1.3.5 + (optional) v1.3.5 NPC mod + sfall + hi rez mod.

You can install 1.2.1 on top of all releases afaik, except perhaps the steam one. I don’t remember, check the forums.
Hello, you mentioned some "Mash's patch" which supposedly enables the first Fallout game to run correctly in fullscreen 960x540. Where can I download it? Because apparently I'm experiencing problems running the GOG version in this screen mode - I can't see part of the in-game interface (the bottom interface bar with display monitor, active item button etc goes across and beyond the border of the screen so I'm unable see much of it) and the text is shown incorrectly (the letters look too blurry and the strokes are not equal width where they apparently are supposed to be so).
Mash’s patch is the fallout hi rez patch. You’ve got it, dig around your fallout 1 install directory or see the links in the post in my sig.

Tomatohead

Learned
I started to replay Fallout 2, was supposed to do it with the first game but decided against. It is still really damn great and the 2x rendering mode gives those lovely pixel chunks. Love it. Also doing Diablo I run at the moment...
CNZiLww.jpg

:kingcomrade:(sorry that jpg compression really eats away the detail though)

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Finally, finally, finally, I GOT IT TO WORK DAMMIT

Everyone, if you're following the agris's suggestion on playing Fallout 1 with patches
and running the GOG version on Linux through Wine Staging 3.18, make sure that:
(1) all the directory and file names in the DATA directory (GOG's and all the patches which involve this directory) and its subdirectories are the same case (for example, uppercase), so all the replacer files in the DATA directories of the 1.2.1 and 1.3.5 patches will overwrite those in the GOG's DATA, not be placed along with them - don't be a fool like me
(2) ddraw.dll order is set to 'native, bullt-in' (the section 'Libraries' in winecfg)
(3) option 'Enable CSMT for better graphics performance' (the section 'Staging' in winecfg) is DISABLED

Or just install Windows to play a Windows game like a normal person

(1) fixes the patches not applying correctly (I had some strange visual glitches in the main menu, but there likely will be more problems than just that), (2) will enable sfall to actually make any difference (for example, the configuration options set in ddraw.ini will now work), and (3) should fix excruciatingly low performance (~5 fps) and flickering cursor.

Probably this will save someone minutes and hours of googling and trying. Don't be a fool like

Yet I still have to actually play the game and see if there are any problems.

But I still haven't been successful in making the game run correctly in 960x540 fullscreen, this is probably due to an issue with the driver.

Oh and thank you agris for your suggestion.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Tse Tse Fly to get 960 x 540 working, you need to do two things: configure the hi rez mod to use this resolution, and add this resolution to your display driver. You can do the first simply by editing the hi rez ini file, and the second using nvidia / amd’s driver software.. on windows. No clue about linux, sorry.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Several hours into 1 (GOG version, 1.2.1+1.3.5+sfall+hi-rez patched), and I've seen some strange stuff.
1. During a battle, when I knock out an enemy by doing a critical hit, he falls to the ground and supposedly should be lying there incapacitated for a few turns (?). Then, if I save the game and load that save, the enemy for some reason is awake and able to act (though his sprite is as if he's lying on the ground; it immediately changes to the right sprite when the enemy starts making his turn). Should it really be this way, as some kind of anti-cheat measure or it's a bug?
2. Is it normal that after I've beaten Garl in the melee fight in order to save Tandi I somehow acquire all the items he had with him (that is, his metal armor, .44 desert eagle, some ammo for it and bottle of booze were added to my inventory)?
3. Why does sneak mode get activated automatically when I load a savegame and after I've talked to an npc?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
1 and 3 I’ve never encountered. 3 sounds like it might be a bug related to Wine’s emulation of the dx scancode part of the direct x api. Sfall relies on direct x quite a bit.

2 is normal, because his body is inaccessible in the ring.

Edit: never save in combat FYI, there’s even an option to disable this in sfall’s ini. It’s a significant source of bugs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
1. I'm not sure it applies to Fallout 1 but in Fallout 2 with the basic recommended mods/patchs, it's recommended not to save during a fight.
It fucked up my last run after i tried to kill the paladins fighting the vorpal rat, i had to save reload because my weapons / armors were no match for them and 2 game time hours later or so, i couldn't equip Marcus anymore, was the end of that playthrough.

Didn't have the problem with Fallout 1(wich i replayed before FO2) but i'm pretty sure i've never saved during a fight.

Of course, you don't have to save during a fight with full companions control, saving before in case of a mean crit is sufficient.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Thank you for the critical info.

But he wasn't even dead when the fight ended. I scored two successful critical hits on his left leg which resulted in crippling him, after which he yielded.

Probably all the more reason to re-start from the last untainted save

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thank you for the critical info.

But he wasn't even dead when the fight ended. I scored two successful critical hits on his left leg which resulted in crippling him, after which he yielded.

Probably all the more reason to re-start from the last untainted save
I'm just guessing at this point, but his yielding is probably why you got the gear. Your #1 is almost definitely due to saving and loading in combat, though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks a lot Agris! The 960x540 works perfectly. I'm on a 14" laptop and it was annoying how small things on 1024x768, not to mention the black stripes on the sides of the screen.

Something I didn't get - I am playing the Steam version, which has two options when you start it "Play Fallout 1" and "Play Fallout 1 Base Version". It looks like the former will start a high-res patched version. Therefore, do I need to install a high-res patch?

Also, the title screen shows v. 1.1 even after I've copied the 1.2 and 1.3 patches into the game dir. I suppose that's just because the patches don't include update title screen images?

Black Angel

Arcane
Thanks a lot Agris! The 960x540 works perfectly. I'm on a 14" laptop and it was annoying how small things on 1024x768, not to mention the black stripes on the sides of the screen.

Something I didn't get - I am playing the Steam version, which has two options when you start it "Play Fallout 1" and "Play Fallout 1 Base Version". It looks like the former will start a high-res patched version. Therefore, do I need to install a high-res patch?

Also, the title screen shows v. 1.1 even after I've copied the 1.2 and 1.3 patches into the game dir. I suppose that's just because the patches don't include update title screen images?
If you've been following agris's advice, installing the hi-res patch, TeamX's, etc etc, you don't even need to launch Steam to launch the game. Just find the .exe in the folder and launch that one. Specifically, the FALLOUTW. I know this because I did.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's what I am launching, yes. My point is that the Steam game already features the high-res patch.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's what I am launching, yes. My point is that the Steam game already features the high-res patch.
The version number isn’t actually stamped on the title frm, it’s in the exe and can be modified by sfall. So if you took the steam version and just tweaked the inis to get the resolution you wanted, it’s no surprise you didn’t see a version change on the screen. Even the teamX parches won’t show it because they don’t include a ddraw.ini (sfall’s config file).

AwesomeButton

Patron
I haven't installed sfall, just "Team X 1.2.1 EN RC-1", "Team X 1.3.5".

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Completed 1 the other day.

By the way... not sure it'd be most appropriate to ask this here but - are melee only (unarmed or melee weapons) builds viable throughout the entire game in Fallout 2? Or I should also be raising a ranged weapon skill (maybe branch out into big guns/energy weapons at some point, like I did in the first Fallout) to be able to deal with more powerful enemies? Also, do you recommend installing Fallout 2 Restoration Project for the first playthrough?

Last edited:

naossano

Cipher

Using the gog version.

There's a new mod/game/whatever you wanna call it for fallout 2 called Falout Nevada, pretty sweet but not that far into it.

Fallout 1.5 is very good aswell, came out a few years ago.

Don't miss out Last Hope and Shattered Destiny.

KlauZ

Educated
are melee only builds viable throughout the entire game in Fallout 2?
Bitch, you basically become Fist of the North Star with a proper melee build in F2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom