Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 1 - Restored good endings add-on

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
I was asked by an NMA user about restoring the good endings for The Hub and The Followers outside of Fallout Fixt, and I thought it wasn't actually a bad idea. So here's a stand-alone addon that does just that.

For people who don't want to play Fallout Fixt, this should presumably now be an additional step in the standard mod/patch install procedure for Fallout:

TeamX v1.2 -> TeamX v1.2.1 -> TeamX v1.3.5 -> TeamX NPC Mod v3.5 -> Sduibek Restored Endings addon

Download mirror 1: GitHub
Download mirror 2: ModDB

Code:
!!! WARNING - DO NOT INSTALL THIS IF ALREADY USING FALLOUT FIXT !!!

This addon allows completion of the Followers Spy quest,
and makes it possible to get good endings in the endgame slideshow for:
- The Hub
- The Followers Of The Apocalypse

INSTALLATION:

Unzip the contents of this file to your Fallout directory,
  and say YES if asked to overwrite files.

VERIFYING INSTALLATION:

These files will be in your Fallout\DATA\SCRIPTS folder,
  with a Date Modified of Feb 21st 2016 1:30pm:
    FOLLMAP  (.INT)
    FOLSCHOL (.INT)
    HAROLD   (.INT)
    HEATHER  (.INT)
    NICOLE   (.INT)
    OBJ_DUDE (.INT)
    TALIUS   (.INT)

HOW TO GET THE GOOD ENDINGS:

- The Hub:
1) Harold is alive.
2) Decker is dead.
3) Not more than 140 days have passed since the game started.

- The Followers Of The Apocalypse:
1) Nicole is alive.
2) The Spy quest has been completed.
3) At least 12 Followers Scholars are still alive.
4) Not more than 90 days have passed since the game started.

HOW TO MODIFY THOSE TIME LIMITS:

If you want to change the days until invasion,
  modify these lines in Fallout\DATA\DATA\VAULT13.GAM:

FOLLOWERS_INVADED_DATE    :=90;
  THE_HUB_INVADED_DATE      :=140;

^ Note, changes to these two invasion values WILL ONLY AFFECT NEW GAMES!

VERSION HISTORY:

1.0 - Initial release. June 24 2015.
  1.1 - Fixes an issue where Heather would actually spawn as Peter. July 8 2015.
  2.0 - The Hub ending works now, and both invasion flags checked. Feb 21 2016.

=======
FAQs:
=======

"Do I need to start a new game for this to work?"
  No, but:

"Will this work on a savegame that's already passed the 90/140 days?"
  Probably not.

"How can I trigger the good endings on an existing savegame?"
  In addition to all the other requirements being met, you need to:
    1. Visit the Oldtown map in The Hub.
    2. Visit the Library (Followers) map in Boneyard/Adytum.
    3. Then beat the game within the time limits.

"Is this compatible with Fallout Fixt?"
  No! (These restorations are already included in that mod.)

"Is this compatible with all other Fallout mods and patches?"
  Yes, except for the Restoration Mod v1.2.5

"May I have the source code?"
  Yeah, that's the *.SSL files.

Have fun,
-Sduibek

Followers of The Apocalypse:
"The Followers of the Apocalypse rise to become a major influence in New California. With your help, they gain control of the L.A. Boneyard."

latest

The Hub:
"With your assistance, Old Harold brings the ghoul population of the Hub into equality with the humans. The two sides work together, and the Hub prospers. Old Harold is still alive, as far as anyone knows."

latest

Last edited:

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Jaesun laclongquan In the Fallout1 engine, text and images below are hard-coded. Interestingly, it looks like based on spoiler link I misunderstood the prerequisites for these endings, so I might need to change that for the next release of Fixt and this add-on.

Followers of The Apocalypse:
"The Followers of the Apocalypse rise to become a major influence in New California. With your help, they gain control of the L.A. Boneyard."

latest

The Hub:
"With your assistance, Old Harold brings the ghoul population of the Hub into equality with the humans. The two sides work together, and the Hub prospers. Old Harold is still alive, as far as anyone knows."

latest

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
So http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_endings claims the requirements are as follows. Honestly not sure where they got this data as I don't recall seeing it in the scripts but here we go:

THE HUB
- Find the missing caravans
- Be kind to Harold
- Don't complete any of Decker's requests
- Report Bob to the police [But that doesn't make sense since Bob is in the slide. Right?]

FOLLOWERS
- Finish the Spy quest
- Train the Followers [The problem with this is the "Train the Followers" code/dialog/etc wasn't implemented at all by Interplay]

Here's mine as it currently stands:
Code:
- The Hub:
1) Harold is alive.
2) Decker is dead.
3) Not more than 140 days have passed since the game started.

- The Followers Of The Apocalypse:
1) Nicole is alive.
2) The Spy quest has been completed.
3) At least 12 Followers Scholars are still alive.
4) Not more than 90 days have passed since the game started.

I think this might be a nice balance between mine and the "official" requirements:
HUB: Caravans found, Harold alive, Didn't do quests for Decker (What about Bob?)
FOLLOWERS: Found the spy, Nicole is alive, Got weapons from Gun Runners (What about certain # of Scholars still alive?)

Lexx

Cipher
That just reminds me of how much I hate the timers. 140 days? 90 days? Hell, getting the waterchip alone has a timer of 150 days. That one is totally fine, but anything else just has you rush through the game like crazy. No way you can randomly stroll around a bit. I know it sets the atmosphere of imminent danger, etc. but if you play the game slowly - like me the last time - and suddenly realize the stupid timers had been active and the BoS, Hub and Boneyard have been wiped out, now that's a huge bummer. I think that was like the first time ever that I finished the game without power armor. Had to hike to the Glow, try not to die from radiation, grab a combat armor and then finish the game. It worked because I know the game in and out, but if I had been a new player, I'd say "fuck this shit, Fo3 for life".

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
That just reminds me of how much I hate the timers. 140 days? 90 days? Hell, getting the waterchip alone has a timer of 150 days. That one is totally fine, but anything else just has you rush through the game like crazy. No way you can randomly stroll around a bit. I know it sets the atmosphere of imminent danger, etc. but if you play the game slowly - like me the last time - and suddenly realize the stupid timers had been active and the BoS, Hub and Boneyard have been wiped out, now that's a huge bummer. I think that was like the first time ever that I finished the game without power armor. Had to hike to the Glow, try not to die from radiation, grab a combat armor and then finish the game. It worked because I know the game in and out, but if I had been a new player, I'd say "fuck this shit, Fo3 for life".
No disagreement here. I fucking hated the mutant invasions in Fo1 (except Necropolis; that one makes sense) because it's such a massively gameplay-changing mechanic, as you described. I play with all invasions disabled.

[Fun fact: Tim Cain told me the Fallout team argued all the way up to launch date back and forth about whether to include timers and which timers to include.]

I only left those checks there because with Vanilla, the only endings available were the invasion endings. So I figured it made sense to leave that requirement, in the spirit of something or another.

I guess we could have 2 versions of this addon, with and without invasion checks? <-- and of course for Fixt I'll make sure those options are reflected in the customizations since this addon is already part of Fixt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom